.1.

Ferris Wheels and Fate


6 year old Kim Minkyung pulls her father's hand as she manoeuvred her way through the crowd to her destination. The Ferris Wheel. 

"Appa! Appa! I want to ride this!" Minkyung jumps up and down while whining and doing her best aegyo to appeal to her dad. 

"Minky, if you use your aegyo on me, I would never be able to refuse. Since it's already 8, we'll ride this and go get dinner alright?" Minkyung shouts a loud "yes" as she runs to the queue but not before giving her father a big hug. 

Throughout her 6 years of existence, Minkyung had never been able to get on a Ferris Wheel. She would listen to her other friends share about their experiences and all she could do was sigh in jealousy. It might sound stupid but despite Minkyung being the tallest in their class, she always wanted to know how it felt like having the world at your feet. Would it feel empowering, beautiful or breathtaking as everyone describes it as. Either way now she's going to be able to show off to all her friends about taking the Ferris Wheel with an amazing night view. 

Their turn approached as Minkyung started shaking with excitement. She couldn't wait for the gates to open and to sit down in those colourful capsules. 

"Oh hey erm Minky, Appa is really sorry but I need to take a call right now..." Minkyung can already sense the guilt in her father's voice. She really wants to ride this and she decides she will even if she has to take it alone. 

"I'll just go myself. It's okay, Appa." She runs into the capsule as she looks at her father walk away from the queue to the bench at the exit. Her friends had always talked about fun stories with their families in the capsules but seems like it was just going to be her experiencing this alone. Or so she thought. She saw the doors to her capsule closing when a girl ran in, panting. She was tan, had short hair and a really defined jawline. Minkyung stared at the stranger, even if she was a kid it doesn't mean she can't be dangerous. 

"Hi! My name is Kyungwon. I'm from Gwangju, here on a holiday. Sorry to just barge in on your alone time. You seemed lonely and one thing you should never do is experience a Ferris Wheel ride alone. It's scary and intimidating! Also my parents refused to come on the ride with me so I'm here." Kyungwon said all this in one breath, finishing off with a goofy smile. Minkyung wasn't good with strangers but something about Kyungwon made her seem comfortable and very friendly. (She was also very very pretty.) 

"It's okay. I'm Minkyung." Minkyung carefully stretched out her hand for Kyungwon and she gladly took it, giving it a firm shake. They spent the next few minutes in silence as the capsule slowly increased it's distance from the ground. It wasn't really an awkward silence between them but rather it was nice and comforting. Minkyung heard a camera snap and turned her head to look at Kyungwon who was holding a camera. 

"Heh sorry for taking a picture of you. The whole view was just really pretty and you looked pretty too so I just couldn't resist a photo. Here you can have it!" Minkyung blushes at the other girl's comment. She had never been called pretty by anyone other than her parents. Taking the film from Kyungwon's hands, she stared at it and decided to return the favour. 

"Let me take one for you then!" Kyungwon excitedly hands over the polaroid camera as Minkyung starts to take pictures. Kyungwon confidently strikes her best poses which made Minkyung laugh a little at how cute this stranger was. Kyungwon checks the pictures and gives Minkyung a big thumbs up, approving the latter's skills. 

"Hey how old are you?" Minkyung asks as the other girl took out a chocolate bar from her bag. 

"I'm 5 turning 6 this year!" Kyungwon offers Minkyung a chocolate bar. 

"Me too! I guess we're friends then." Minkyung takes the bar into her hands as she stares out the glass windows of the capsule. She also made the bad mistake of looking down as she realizes the floor was glass which gave her a full view of whatever she would fall into if this capsule breaks off. To say that Minkyung was starting to feel scared was an understatement. She didn't even realize when Kyungwon had moved over next to her until she felt a hand interlocking their fingers with hers. Minkyung is beyond flustered but she likes Kyungwon's warm hands. 

"You look scared. I figured you need some comfort. Don't look down, just look straight or focus on me." Minkyung looks at Kyungwon who had a reassuring look on her face. She feels the slight panic fading away as she worries if Kyungwon would be grossed out over her sweaty palms. Thankfully, Kyungwon didn't look like she minded at all. She was busy fumbling around with her camera. 

"Do you mind if we take a polaroid selca? I always wanted to try it but I never got the chance to." Kyungwon cautiously asks as Minkyung more than willingly agreed. The two posed next to each other as Kyungwon prayed that the camera would manage to capture the both of them. After the polaroid was produced, Kyungwon immediately put down her camera and put it between her hand and leg. 

"My mum told me to NEVER shake the film but to face it down. I think the pictures turn out better when it's kept between human warmth hehe. I usually put it between my hands." Minkyung laughs as she realizes that they're still holding hands, very tightly for that matter. She also finds Kyungwon's little antics very interesting and very cute. 

"It came out really nice! Wow we look good together!" An excited Kyungwon shoves the polaroid into Minkyung's face as she rambles on and on about how that picture may have been the best selfie she's ever taken. Minkyung takes the polaroid from Kyungwon's unstable hands and looks at it carefully. They looked like two best friends having fun together. If only Kyungwon knew how hard it actually was to break down Minkyung's walls because this random stranger has already penetrated through all her walls. 

"Let's take another one! So we can each have one." Kyungwon gets her camera ready as Minkyung flashes her biggest smile. What she was not expecting was Kyungwon turning her head at the last moment to face her. Well Kyungwon didn't kiss her but the intimacy was still enough for Minkyung to go beet red. Was that how it felt like to have butterflies in your stomach? Did Cinderella feel this when Prince Charming saved her? Did Sleeping Beauty feel this when her one true love kissed her awake from her curse? Minkyung didn't know but all she knew was she really wanted to get to know the girl better. (Maybe some play dates over at her house. Minkyung's an only child with a puppy as her only companion. It gets really lonely sometimes with the lack of interaction with actual human kids.)  

"We're here already. I wished the ride was longer..." Minkyung realizes she was too deep in thought and looks at a pouty Kyungwon. Minkyung thinks Kyungwon looks like a puppy. The cutest puppy she's ever seen. 

"Thanks for accompanying me on my first Ferris Wheel ride. I had a lot of fun!" Minkyung messes up Kyungwon's hair, earning her a "DON'T TOUCH MY HAIR!" glare from the other girl. Minkyung chuckles as Kyungwon takes out a mirror from her bag and fixes her bangs. She also hands over one of the polaroid films to Minkyung. It's not the one where Kyungwon was almost kissing her cheek. 

"I wanted the almost kiss one because it's cuter." Well not that Minkyung minded, any picture with Kyungwon was good enough. Kyungwon helps Minkyung down the capsule and Minkyung then realizes they've held hands for the almost the entire ride. She also notices that Kyungwon is tall like her and she had really long legs for their age. 

"I really wish we could see each other again... Hopefully fate will let us meet in the future. I need to go now. Bye Minkyung!" Kyungwon gave Minkyung a bone crushing hug and ran off to her parents. 

"I hope we meet again Kyungwon..." Minkyung is left with a bittersweet feeling as she looks up to the stars and pray. 

Minkyung's only 6 years old but she thinks she's found her first love. A pretty stranger from Gwangju who likes taking photos. Minkyung thinks it's tragic. 


 


 

"Yah Jung Eunwoo, your date is almost 30 minutes late. Remind me why I agreed to stand in for you?" Minkyung whisper-shouts over the phone. If only she could just put her hands through the screen and strangle Eunwoo to death. She quickly hangs up the call and decides to leave the park. If that date isn't going to show up on time, then the person isn't worthy of Minkyung's time. She walks towards the exit of the park and she sees a Ferris Wheel. It's the exact same one she took when she was 6. She had never forgotten that day. Not once in her life and she's already 20. Call Minkyung a dreamer or whatever but she still has their polaroid displayed on her transparent phone case. She spent all her 11:11 wishes on Kyungwon, hoping that by some miracle they would meet again. 

There was surprisingly no line for the Ferris Wheel, considering it was a Friday night. She's drawn to it and before she knew where her legs were taking her, she was already seated in the capsule. It reminded her oh so much of her first experience. Except Kyungwon wasn't here. Suddenly, a woman barged into the capsule and dropped her bag on the door, panting very heavily. 

"Hi! Sorry to just barge in on your alone time. You seemed lonely and one thing you should never do is experience a Ferris Wheel ride alone. It's scary and intimidating! Also I'm trying to run away from my friend who's forcing me on a blind date so now I'm here." The stranger shoots Minkyung a goofy smile. Minkyung looks at the stranger and she's taken aback by how ethereal the stranger looked with the night view behind her. Tall, slim, tan, had a very defined jawline and short hair. Minkyung is hit with déjà vu as this whole situation was strangely all too familiar to her. Thinking about it, this girl looked really familiar... Could it be...? Minkyung quickly pushes away the thought of the girl being Kyungwon, she didn't need any false hope. 

"It's okay. I'm Minkyung." Minkyung nicely stretches out her hand for Kyungwon who looked really shocked. She looked as if she had seen a ghost and Minkyung quickly checks if maybe her makeup had smeared on her face. 

"Erm, is there something wrong? Why are you looking at me like that?" 

"Oh no, it's just... Your name sounds very familiar. Anyway, a pretty name suitable for a pretty girl like yourself. I'm Kyungwon." Minkyung is 99% sure that she's sitting right in front of her first love. Kyungwon isn't a very common name and the only other Kyungwon she knew was that buff bodybuilder and she's sure that isn't her Kyungwon. 

Minkyung watches as Kyungwon tries to arrange her books. She was carrying a small bag with a lot of books and pieces of papers in her hand. Most likely a Uni kid. Also Minkyung questions why Kyungwon couldn't just get a bigger bag to carry all her things. 

"Oh fk my phone." Kyungwon shouts as her phone dropped put of her hands and onto the floor. It's the her new iPhone that she just got that day. Minkyung immediately stretches out her long arms and catches it, seconds before impact with the floor. Kyungwon claps in amazement. 

"Nice catch!" Minkyung takes a look at Kyungwon's phone, checking for any visible scratches then something catches her eye. Kyungwon's phone case. It was transparent like hers and also there was a polaroid in there. A polaroid she would be able to recognize from anywhere. 

"The polaroid is cute right? I always show this off to my friends and say that the other girl is my soulmate. I haven't found her yet though, it's been like what 14 years?" Kyungwon finally arranges her books and places them neatly on the space beside her. Minkyung is internally screaming. She finally found Kyungwon. Right in front of her, in the same place as 14 years ago. She might have also been flustered at Kyungwon claiming her as her soulmate. At least she knew this thing between the two 6 year old girls was mutual and that Kyungwon never forgot her. 

"Kyungwon, that's me. The lonely 6 year old girl on the Ferris Wheel you accompanied. You barged into my capsule! Pretty funny how you did that again, 14 years later." Now it was time for Kyungwon to be in shock. She almost forgets to cover from disbelief that she found her "soulmate". Kyungwon jumps over to Minkyung's side and pulls her into a hug. 

"FATE FINALLY BROUGHT US TOGETHER!" Kyungwon sways Minkyung back and forth in her hug. Minkyung returns the hug with equal excitement. It really was amazing, fate does work wonders. 

"Aren't you living in Gwangju?" 

"Actually I just moved here a week ago and I'm moving into my school dormitory tomorrow. I'm studying here." 

"Oh really? Where?" 

"Pledis University. Majoring in psychology." 

"What a coincidence. That's exactly where and what I'm studying too!" The two girls stared at each other in disbelief and started bursting out in laughter at how funny the whole situation was. 

"Want to go get some food after this?" 

"Hmm are you asking me out on a date?" Minkyung's internally crying at how greasy that statement came out of . 

"Let's see. You're a pretty girl, I like pretty girls. Minkyung, would you like to go on a date with me?" Kyungwon winks at Minkyung and she's dying inside. It's so cringy but she's loving every second of this flirtatious banter. She then realizes she still has that stupid date Eunwoo made her go for and she grunts. 

"I want to but my friend sort of made me stand in for her blind date. Sorry, Kyungwon." Minkyung makes a mental note to herself to kill Eunwoo later for having to reject Kyungwon. Their time on the wheel comes to an end as Kyungwon takes Minkyung's hand into hers and helps her off the capsule. 

"Let me walk you to where your date is then. So if your date's a douchebag, I'll always be here to get you out." Minkyung really isn't a fan of sappy stuff like this but now she understands how female lead characters always swoon for the male lead when they do this. 

"KANG KYUNGWON. I HAVE BEEN LOOKING EVERYWHERE FOR YOU. YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO GO ON MY DATE. YOU LOST THE BET, YOU HAVE TO GO." The moment between them is interrupted by a small midget (okay not really a midget but between Kyungwon and Minkyung, this girl was a dwarf) shouting at Kyungwon. 

"What's so bad about your date?" 

"THE PERSON'S NAME IS JUNG EUNWOO. WOULD YOU EVER TRUST A PERSON NAMED JUNG EUNWOO?" 

"No. No I- Hey wait what Eunwoo is my friend." The two girls looked at Minkyung who was staring weirdly back at them. 

"Hey Kyungwon, who is this chick. Introduce us please, I think we could have beautiful babies together." Kyungwon smacks the smaller girl on the head causing the latter to whine in pain. 

"I can hear you?" Minkyung says as a matter of factly. She's used to people trying to hit on her, she didn't get the title of most popular girl in school without her looks. 

"Sorry Minkyung, this is Yaebin. She's my cousin." Minkyung stretches her hand out for a handshake. Yaebin ignores the handshake and goes straight for a hug. It was uncomfortable but she didn't want to be rude to Kyungwon's cousin. What if Kyungwon and her got married? Yaebin could say bad things about Minkyung, then she'd never be able to marry Kyungwon. That's right. Minkyung just found Kyungwon 20 minutes ago but she's already planning their retirement home with 5 dogs and a jacuzzi. Kyungwon forcefully pulls Yaebin off Minkyung as Minkyung straightens out her flannel. 

"Anyway back to Eunwoo, you were supposed to go on a blind date with her?" 

"No not me. Kyungwon here is supposed to go on the blind date. While you and me can go get some drinks, what do you say pretty face?" 

"Actually, I am here instead of Eunwoo so this means I'm going on a date with Kyungwon here. Nice meeting you but I think Kyungwon and I have things to discuss." Minkyung takes Kyungwon's hands into hers and the pair run off to the nearest cafe. 

 

Minkyung thinks Ferris Wheels are her lucky charm.

It's where she finds her happiness, it's her safe place and now it's also where she finds love. 

(Minkyung makes a note to thank Eunwoo by buying her food. Or maybe helping her hook up with the Chinese Exchange students would be a better option.)

 

 

 

 


A/N: of you made it to the end, thank you. this was bad I apologize.