Chapter two

Keep the streets empty for me
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The thing with the Americans is that they are loud and sadistic, enjoy seeing the people squirm in fear, or at least that’s the impression they gave to Nayoung. Who was hidden between the bushes, while a couple of soldiers were laughing loudly.

They spoke in English, and were chuckling as another boy ran straight into a tree.

“Stupid zombies” one of them said, as the boy keep running in circles.  The taller of them just punched the kid, and smirked as he took out a rifle and shot him between the eyes.

They were two men and, just sighed tiredly as the job was done.

“We need to get out there and return to the camp, those crazy old hags are making me angry”

“We need to keep an eye on the village; those creepy guys need to learn a lesson or two about manners”

“What do you suggest?”

“Let’s keep the youngest there, and we come back home, I want to shut some eye”

“Aye, I agree”

They left without a word, just dragging aching feet towards a big trunk at the end of the road. Nayoung knew that the village that Roa suggested to buy food, is the one those men were talking about. She doesn’t want to mess with the mercenaries, Jieqiong said they were rather a pain in the to deal with. But the food and the water were more important.

When the trunk drove away, she walked to where Roa was still sleeping peacefully, the fever never really went away, but the tall girl was looking a little less pale than before, so it’s a positive thing.

Jieqiong was making some fire, and she looked quite calm about the whole ordeal.

“So, what did you discover?” She asked without looking up.

“They just left a couple of soldiers on town, and got back to their camp”

Jieqiong nodded, and opened a can of tomatoes.

“Dinner” she offered Nayoung a spoon and slurped the content of the can. Roa groaned loudly in discomfort, and Nayoun shivered in cold. The eerie feeling returned back to her, as they heard the sound of the forest or jungle they have been for a couple of weeks now. Searching for something that Nayoung doesn’t remember what is it. Just the gut feeling to continue walking.

“Do you know what are we looking for?” She asked out loud, serious and cold. Jieqiong stopped every movement.  And even Roa moved in her sleep.

“We are searching for the cure” Roa said, groggily, and sitting up, she still looked a little pale, but curved into an easy smile. “Don’t you remember?”

Nayoung closed her eyes.

“The cure” she muttered, but her mind was blank.

Roa stood up and walked to where Nayoung was, the taller of the two stared for a good minute at the leader, then sighed.

“Is there something wrong?” Roa asked with what seemed a sweet smile.

Nayoung stuttered, clearly confused by the whole ordeal, she knows they are searching for something, but with the fog in her brain is getting harder to think through.

Roa wrapped her arms around her middle, and chuckled. Then the chuckles turned to full hysterics, mad laughter echoed in the place. Jieqiong felt a cold sweat run down her back, she knows that Roa might not be here all the times, but this person in front of them is dangerous and full anger. Then she stopped laughing and turned deadly serious.

“Let me enlighten you a little” Roa swung her arm back, and punched Nayoung’s face with such force that Nayoung stumbled to the floor.

Jieqiong gasped and attempted to hold Roa back, trying to protect Nayoung that was still on the floor in shock, with blood running down her face. Roa grunted, and bared her teeth, it was as if a switch got off inside of her, and something dark was twirling inside of her soul, she shoved Jieqiong off her, so hard that the Chinese ended up on the floor next to their leader.

Then the smile slipped off Roa’s face. Regret filled her brain, and a sudden surge of puke overwhelmed her.

Nayoung groaned at the pain that shot at her nose, and stood shakily. Jieqiong was at her side, slipping an arm around her waist. Both of them became weary of Roa after that show of psychosis.

“Are you okay?” Nayoung became quite gentle.

“That’s what I should be asking you” Jieqiong checked the nose of Nayoung, and it didn’t seem broken, a relief.

Roa appeared after throwing all the contents inside of her stomach out.

“I am sorry for that” She bowed 90º degrees.”I don’t know what came over me”

Nayoung wanted to hurt her back and the intensity of the feeling cut her breath. She shook her head trying to clear her mind; her feelings were confusing, because now all she can feel is anger, the

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter