Byakuya Kuchiki x Reader: Piano (Fluff)

Bleach x Reader Oneshots

Byakuya Kuchiki x Reader: Piano (Fluff)

Byakuya stood up from his desk wearily, mentally exhausted from another day of never-ending paperwork. Ever since Captain Hitsugaya and his little entourage had gone to the world of the living, things had gotten fairly quiet for the stoic captain, and his days consisted of nothing but mind-numbing paperwork and an aggravating lack of action. He sighed, running a hand through his black hair. If Captain Midget (as he referred to Hitsugaya in his mind) hadn't taken his lieutenant, things would have been a hell of a lot easier.

Byakuya cast a sidelong glance at the empty desk across from his. Normally, Renji Abarai occupied that space. However, because Renji was in the world of the living with Captain Hitsugaya in order to deal with the arrancars, the seat was vacant. For awhile, at any rate. His third seat, (f/n) (l/n), had stepped in soon after in order to take over Renji's work in his absence.

Byakuya smiled softly at the thought of it. She was small, quiet, and reserved, but she was hard-working, and she was always willing to help. He liked that about her.

Often times, it left him puzzled; he was a nobleman and a captain, notorious for his stone-cold demeanor and strict mindset. He was not one to be distracted easily.

Despite this, she'd somehow managed to worm her way into his thoughts, the image of her warm smile occupying his mind at all times. He could hear her soft laughter, smell the scent of flowers that always seemed to waft off her. It was becoming a hindrance.

When she started taking over Renji's duties, he didn't know how long he'd be able to stay calm; it took every bit of his self control not to kiss her whenever he looked at her.

The worst of it was the end of the day. (F/n) would yawn and stretch, head resting on her hand, eyes half closed as she worked on auto pilot. Occasionally, she would wrap her arms around her head and rest on the desk, peaceful and unaware of what she was doing to him. Her face looked so beautiful in the warm light, and it was all he could do not to sweep her up and carry her to her bed before cuddling her to his chest and falling asleep with her in his arms.

It was so frustrating.

If it wasn't for his getting extremely lucky earlier in the day, he might've gone mad. Thankfully, however, he had barely seen (f/n) that day; Rangiku had come back from the world of the living with a gift, a piano she'd found at an antique shop, for her.

Unbeknownst to everyone save for a select few, (f/n) was actually incredibly skilled at the piano.

She may have been quiet most of the time, but as soon as music, most importantly, piano, got involved, he whole demeanor would change. Her eyes would light up like the sun, and she would get so excited that she'd speak too fast for anyone to understand, fumbling over words in the process. Byakuya had only witnessed it once, when Rangiku had shown up, to be exact, but he already loved it. He wanted to see it more often. Sure, he loved how adorable she was when she was her usual shy self, but her passion for music was the most endearing thing he'd ever seen.

It made his heart swell.

As a thanks for all her help lately (and also as an excuse for him to get away from her constant charm for a while), he had given her the day off to allow her to play her new piano. He was also hurt, though slightly so. He wondered why (f/n) hadn't told him about her talent beforehand; he'd had no idea until Rangiku had shown up with the instrument and practically told him herself.

He was hurt that she hadn't shared something she loved so much with him.

Still though, he understood why she hadn't. As much as he wanted there to be some kind of special bond between the two of them, there wasn't, and he understood that he could be intimidating. He was a captain, after all.

Byakuya glanced at the clock on the wall. 6 pm. It was earlier than he'd thought. Taking one last look at the somehow finished stack of papers on his desk, he left his office, footsteps silent in the warm evening. Exiting the building, he looked up at the sky, marvelling at the beauty of the beginning sunset. It was almost as beautiful as (f/n).

He began walking, taking his time and enjoying the blur of the world around him as he continued. Before he knew it, he was walking past your residence, listening intently for any sounds from within.

As soon as he was close enough, he heard it; the sound of a piano echoing throughout the building and seeping out into the night air. He paused, listening to the song she was playing. He didn't recognize it, but it sounded fantastic nonetheless. Quietly, he shifted slightly, now able to see her through the window in the room. He saw her hunched over the piano, fingers flying across the keys. It looked like magic.

He stood there a while longer, listening until the song ended. When it did, he pulled himself away from her place, forcing himself to keep walking. If he didn't leave now, he probably never would. Once he was out of earshot of your music, he relaxed, sighing to himself.

She would be back in tomorrow, and he didn't think he'd be able to restrain himself any longer.

Perhaps it was finally time to tell her.

Your POV

You were in the process of playing the third movement from Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata when you saw it. Byakuya Kuchiki stood outside your window, listening intently to the piece you were playing.When you finally finished, you paused for a moment, watching as he walked away from your home.

Softly, you started a new piece, only until you were sure he was gone. Once you were satisfied, you let the melody dro and breathed deeply. You couldn't believe he'd been listening. You wondered how long he'd been there, but let the thought slip from your mind as quickly as it had come.

You sighed, wrapping your arms around yourself. You would have to go back to doing Renji's work tomorrow, and you weren't sure you'd be able to handle it. You blushed lightly as a thought came to your mind.

Perhaps I should tell him tomorrow