The Gentlemanly Lady

Ladies First

 

Taemin starightened the collar on his shirt, sweating already.

His first date.

After so many months of watching from afar, and some urging from Jonghyun-hyung, he finally stuttered, "Would you like to have dinner with me?" The result was nothing like Taemin expected. No hesitation whatsoever. She pinched him on the cheek, grinning, then wrote her address on a sheet of paper, shoving it into his shaking hands, then skipped away happily. "Pick me up at six!" she called.

Taemin glanced at the clock. Five-thirty, it read. He exhaled. He had more than enough time to pick her up. With sweaty palms, he snatched the piece of paper in his pocket.

P. Sherman 42 Wallaby Way, Sydney.

Oops, wrong address.

He fished out (no pun intended) another paper from his other pocket and re-read it over and over again until he knew it by heart. 

Why am I so hopeful? he wondered. It wasn't like he knew her, just thought she was pretty and nice, you know, your average high school hookup. And then his attention shifted to how the date would go. What if she was spoiled? What if she was awkward, like him? And, oh my jesus, what if she wasn't even a girl? What if she was a guy in disguise, just like those fanfictions he reads about on Asianfanfics-

No, Taemin. You're getting carried away.

He made a double take at his jacket, slung over on the chair and patiently waiting for him to pick it up, signaling that he was ready to go. The doubt rushed to his mind, and he felt like waiting in line for a roller coaster he really didn't want to ride. But then again, he felt that he should never bail out on a girl, no matter how uncomfortable he feels.

That was rule number five in Jonghyun's handbook of how to get laid- I mean, how to get a girl. Not that Taemin knew how that worked, anyway.

Now, what was that restaurant she wanted to eat at? Taemin scrolled through his texts. Baekje Samgyetang. A chicken barbeque and grill, he vaguely remembered. He wasn't sure if it was good or not, but he was ready to go along with whatever she could throw at him.

Unable to deny that he was going to be late, he picked up his jacket  and strolled out the door casually, trying to leave all his doubts and worries behind him.


"Chungmuro, Chungmuro, Chungmuro..." he muttered to himself as he scanned the streets of Seoul. He started to daydream about the possible date, nearly missing the street. Almost passing it, he skidded slightly as he took the dangerous turn. He scanned the houses for a white, two-story house with a green trim.

He found it, and in front of the house, a girl was waving enthusiastically. 

Sanghee.

He pulled over and parallel parked unsuccessfully. 

Open the door for her. Jonghuyn's voice shouted at him. But before he could get out of the car, she was already in the passenger's seat, grinning impishly at him, and Taemin couldn't help but smile, too.

Compliment what she's wearing, even if it looks horrible. Taemin glanced down at her attire. "You look amazing!" he chirped, and to his surprise, found out that he meant it. The black strapped dress was flattering on her, and her light makeup highlighted her round, puppylike eyes.

Her grin practically reached her ears. "Thanks."

He stared at her for several minutes, then with a jolt, realized that they were going out for dinner. Fumbling with the keys, he started the car and pressed on the gas pedal lightly, taking the vehicle to the main road.

Oh, no, he thought. An awkward silence. Jonghyun didn't have any rules for that. But thankfully, Sanghee said, "I hope you didn't spend too much time worrying about tonight."

Taemin jumped a little. "Of course not!" His voice came out in a squeak. He looked at her nervously.

But she laughed. "You're cute."

"I've been told." Taemin muttered.


Once again, Sanghee was out of the car before Taemin could open the door for her. Gee, what was the point of acting like a gentleman when your date is practically a dude!?

It was different, but Taemin liked it. Taemin reached for the door, but instead caught air.

Eh?

"Ladies first," Sanghee teased as she let Taemin inside the restaurant. 

"What a gentleman," Taemin retorted.

He had a feeling that this night would go by smoothly.


"Did you see the waiter's face!? Priceless!" Sanghee snorted in a very unladylike way, but Taemin laughed back just enthusiastically.

They snorted like two little dorks, flailing their arms and practically breaking their ribs laughing. It was quite an embarrassing sight.

Finally, Taemin noticed with disappointment, they had arrived at her house. This time, Taemin didn't even bother to open the door for her. They got out at the same time, like equals, and he walked her to her doorstep.

The doorstep is where all the action happens. Slowly lean in... Taemin tentatively leaned in while Sanghee stood there, amused.

Closer...

Closer...

Closer...

"Ah, ah, ah." She held a finger to his lips. "I don't care what your friend says, no kisses on the first date."

Taemin sighed, relieved. "How did you know-"

"Because you're not the type to make a move. I know that. Also, I'm not your typical date. Movies next Saturday?" She grinned her silly grin at him, and Taemin felt a spark.

"Neh! :D" he said too excitedly.

"Wonderful!" And then she leaned in, but slightly to the side, and kissed him on the cheek. Then she burst into laughter again. "Wow, Taemin, your face is as red as a tomato."

Taemin's hands flew up to his cheeks, and felt that they were indeed rising in temperature. Sanghee turned her doorknob. "'Till next time, m' lady!" And with a warm smile, closed the door.

Our little Taeminnie stood there for several minutes, taking in everything. He touched his cheek where she landed her lips, and felt triumphant. Childishly, he skipped to his car, singing as loud as possible. He didn't even stop singing when he started his car. He dialed Jonghyun hyung to gush about his night.

"Jonghyun-hyuuuuuuuuuung!" he squealed.

Meanwhile, Sanghee witnessed all of this, pressing her hand to and smiling like a serial killer who just finished murder. She had a good feeling about this Taemin.

Lee Taemin.