Chapter 3

Let Us Walk the Flower Path

Daehwi runs as fast as he could, not heeding any attention to whomever he passes through. Looks of pity and utter disgust are thrown at his speeding figure heading towards the main entrance of the college building. Trailing behind him is Jinyoung, who keeps shouting his name and tries to keep up to his speed.

He runs at increasing speed. He wants to escape. He wants to run away from everybody. He wants to escape the criticizing gazes he managed to catch while he ran. He wants to run away because maybe, just maybe, he can also run away from the pain in his chest. He feels his knees getting weak every step he takes. He feels his body getting sore and his chest crying for air every second he breathes, but he does not stop.

He does not stop because they might have followed him. He does not stay because he might get hurt again. He does not stop because he might have just killed himself because of embarrassment and regret. How could he be so gullible? How could he, a child psychology student who studies how minds work, not know what they were thinking?

Daehwi’s feet take him to the sunken garden at the far eastern wing of the whole campus vicinity. Darkness and silence drapes over the whole field, with the green grass sitting patiently for Daehwi to lie on. He collapses on the grassy ground, letting raindrops wash over his face, his body, his pain. He continues to cry, hands gripping on any patch of grass his hands come contact with. He clutches them and tries to uproot them, but to no avail. Despite his anger consuming every inch of his body, the shame and tiredness from running greatly weakens him to do so.

He looks up at the sympathetic sky crying with him. The sky looks so dark, so shady. There is nothingness above. The moon he had so hoped to be there hides behind the blanket of darkness which enveloped the sky. His only hope, crushed even until now. He shouts in pain, cursing everything he sees to die.

Why do I deserve to be treated like this? What did I do to everyone? Why does it have to be me?

Daehwi clutches his chest as he cries harder, his grief replacing the silence that once dominated the area. His tears camouflaged as one with the rain as it falls down his eyes of what seems to be tiny droplets that goes one with the ground. His tears meets the ground, ready to be unseen and unnoticed beneath the green blades sprouting from it– his tears of hopes and dreams as it flattens into nothingness.

It is then when Jinyoung arrives at the garden panting and gasping for air. He battles breathing under the rain as he searches for Daehwi. He shouts the other’s name under the rain, hoping to be heard under the harsh rain preventing him to see the boy.

“Lee Daehwi! Daehwi-ah! Are you here? Answer me, please!”

He gets nothing but the roar of the rain as if angry at him for not being able to do something. Jinyoung drops to the ground in an attempt to regain his energy to resume his search. He closes his eyes. He waits for his breath to even out. Images of Daehwi looking so broken appear behind his close eyes – the tears continuously flowing from his eyes and mouth open in disbelief. This did nothing but greatly motivate Jinyoung to search again for the boy who he deems needs someone beside him.

He tries to shout again when he trips onto something, making him tumble on the ground as he winces in pain. He blinks repeatedly to help his eyes adjust under the continuous downpour, only to see a human silhouette before him. It is as if the rain suddenly quieted its voice despite its continuous assault of droplets for Jinyoung to hear sobs and whimpers from the person. He moves closer and he quickly envelopes Daehwi into a tight hug as soon as he confirms that it is indeed him.

“Daehwi-ah, are you alright? What are you doing here?”

He feels Daehwi snuggle into his chest as the other still cries, voice hoarse from what Jinyoung assumes to be nonstop crying. Jinyoung places his chin on top of Daehwi’s head as he rubs the other’s back while whispering calming nothings on his ear.

The rain continues to pour above them but everything changes for Daehwi. His tears slowly morph from what seems to be tears of extreme sadness into something like tears of joy. He lets his lips slowly curve into a contented smile as he snuggles further into Jinyoung’s chest that is, for him, the most warm and comfortable place in the world.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~~*~*

Jinyoung wakes from his bed with an aching body and a feverish feeling, his hair tousled messily and eyes drooping repeatedly. He lets out a cough or two before deciding to get up and get ready for his morning classes but he nearly toppled over when he sees Daehwi on the other side of the bed, eyes and lips void of anything that happened last night.

Jinyoung takes a closer look at the sleeping Daehwi. The other’s face glow an unknown shine under the ray of sunlight gracing his peaceful face. Jinyoung smiles fondly at the sleeping boy in front of him as he places a light kiss on his forehead before heading to the bathroom to wash up. It is only when he looked at the mirror does his actions earlier come crashing into him. He bites his lower lip and smacks his head a few times as he shakes his head.

What the hell, Bae Jinyoung? Are you crazy?

He tries to ignore his heart thumping against his chest as he applies washing cream on his face, giving up after a few seconds as he places a hand over his heart. Jinyoung rubs it slowly and lets out a soft sigh as he tries to even out his breaths.

Lee Daehwi. What have you done to me?

Jinyoung emerges out of the bathroom with a towel draped over his neck, hair still wet from shower. He smiles softly at the sight of Daehwi, who had just got up from sleep and rubs his eyes in a rather endearing manner. The other’s eyes widen into full circles when he sees Jinyoung by the bathroom door staring at him with soft eyes.

“Good morning, Daehwi-ah.” Jinyoung smiles more, his lips stretching further more. “How are you? Did you sleep well?”

Daehwi relaxes visibly and tilts his head cutely with his eyes closed into eye smiles. “I feel a little feverish”

Jinyoung swears he could see the entire universe in Daehwi. His eyes reflect the stars shining brightly at night. His body glows with imaginary embedded sparkles and Jinyoung wonders if this is the Daehwi whom he had hugged tightly last night – the same Daehwi who cried nonstop to sleep. He walks toward the bed and sits beside Daehwi, whose head leaned against his shoulder. Jinyoung drapes a hand over Daehwi’s shoulder and pulls him closer.

“Thank you, Jinyoungie-hyung.”

The said boy whips his head at Daehwi, the latter snickering at the elder’s response. Daehwi abruptly rises from the bed and heads towards his bag, only to find every piece of his belongings still wet. Jinyoung smiles apologetically before saying, “I’m sorry. I tried to place it everywhere warm enough to let them dry but they did not.”

“Thank you again,” Daehwi says behind a warm smile. “And sorry for crashing here and for last night.”

Jinyoung frowns a bit at the sudden apology. “It’s okay. Nothing to be sorry for.”

Daehwi chuckles before striding towards Jinyoung and enveloping him into a hug. He buries his face into Jinyoung’s neck and breathes a sigh of content. Jinyoung flinches slightly but then welcomes the younger in his arms after a while, burying his face as well. They both leave the room afterwards and Daehwi decides that he will cook for Jinyoung as payment for everything, despite Jinyoung’s protests.

Jinyoung is left in his room, waiting for Daehwi to finish his “surprise” when his phone rings suddenly, causing him to jump slightly. He answers the phone without looking who it is that called.

“Hello?”

“Jinyoung-dear.”

Jinyoung flinches at the cold tone of his mother. He does not notice his head lower after hearing his mother’s voice. He closes his fists and stares at it as he utters a small reply to his mother.

“Mother.”

“How are your academics?”

He cannot fight the hurt and disappointment that courses through his body upon hearing his mother’s reply. Jinyoung knows better than to ask why and resigns to only shaking his head before continuing the conversation.

“It is fine, mother. Good as always.”

“Well, better make those grades better, Jinyoung-ah.” His mother says in a ice-laced tone. Jinyoung fights back a sigh from escaping his lips. “I do not want a slacking heir to our company.”

His mother cuts the call before Jinyoung can even reply. Tears threaten to escape his eyes anytime that moment. It has always been like this. He is expecting for his mother to ask him how he is, but his mother always asks about his grades, his performances in school. He always ends up crying himself under a pillow and was about to do that when he heard Daehwi’s voice resonating around the house. He quickly replaces his frown with a smile, hoping to hide whatever his concerns are from Daehwi.

“It’s ready now, hyung!”

And Jinyoung sees the spark in Daehwi’s pretty eyes again – the sparks that are enough to make Jinyoung going despite all things. He quickly gives Daehwi a hug from behind and buries his head in between the younger’s junction of his shoulder and neck. He hears Daehwi hum and chuckle happily and Jinyoung’s worries immediately wash away from his mind.

Yup, it’s better this way.