Sunday Afternoon

Sunday Afternoon

Baek Hyun stood on the opposite side of the busy weekend street, his eyes fixed on a group of tall guys from his university, friendly pushing each other at their jokes. Typical, it wasn't a particularly interesting sight, but Baek Hyun, hugging his Macbook left his eyes to watch their 'brotherly' moments.

His legs had long forgotten its destination as their owner had froze for a while.

Across the road, there was something drawing Baek Hyun's attention on one of them, the guy with...

A bus suddenly came into view, driving pass Baek Hyun as the short university student waits patiently for it to leave.
He wanted to see the guy again.

As the wind from the bus softly hits, his black hair fell back lightly and the view of the streets came back.

Darting his eyes around, he finally moves, searching for traces of that guy.
Unfortuately, the group was gone.

 

Looking around the library where he had planned to spend his Sunday studying at, it was cold and gloomy.
Just like him.

Burying his head into his Macbook, Baek Hyun sighed.

Neatly lined books all seemed to mock his priorities.
Half done assignments waiting for him to finish but he could not keep his mind straight on them.

It was the first time he had felt this way towards a guy.
A feeling of tingling candy floss tugging his heart, making it beat a little faster than usual?
Something along that line, but it doesn't feel right to put it that way either...

Since long ago, Baek Hyun understood he wasn't 'normal', having attractive feelings towards those of the same gender. He could never control how he silently squeals with the girls when student body president walked pass them, how that basketball club member going shirtless sent his head dancing frenzy or how male actors fuelled his fantasies more than the female characters.

Whether it was a good thing, or a bad thing, at least he had learnt to accept something he could not control. Neither could he control how he was feeling for a random guy he met on the streets in Sunday.

Love at first sight?
Probably.
But Baek Hyun was sort of sure, he had seen the guy somewhere before...

 

"Is anyone sitting here?" Someone whispered.

Baek Hyun's heart leapt out of his mouth, almost shrieking.
Breaking his eyes away from the shelves, he turns to the culprit standing at the seat across his.

A tall man, black hair, big eyes and with a neat set of teeth greeted him.

Baek Hyun's eyes widened.
Isn't this guy...?!

"E..rrr..N...No one...sat there today..." He stuttered.

The tall man's eyes glinted, quickly putting down his laptop on the table with a quick "Thank you." as he pulled the chair and sat down, fishing out his books and a few stack of notes, sprawled around the table in a matter of seconds.

Baek Hyun suppressed a chuckled.
He had never seen someone who could be this messy in a split second.

The man looked at him, realising his expression, Baek Hyun quickly covered his mouth and ducked behind his Macbook screen.
Wait, he wasn't even wearing any expression...what's he covering for?

What's more serious in this situation, is the fact that once Baek Hyun processed what the hell just happened, he was seriously worried he could be in cardiac arrest. How the hell can his heart suddenly beat crazily fast, he could not even catch his breath properly.

"Congratulations." He heard his head sacarstically being an idiot. "You have won yourself a long trip off your assignments."
Baek Hyun could not deny that, his eyes started to steal little glances of the guy...
Wait no what, big round spectacles?
HOLY !

Anytime he could scream like a fangirl, trying to stop his hand from banging the table was the hardest thing he had tried since sitting for university entrance exams. Why is he being so weird?
Neither the guys from his high school had that much of an impact on him as this one!

Departing his eyes wearily away from the guy he want to stare for as long as he want, he covered his face in his hands, trying to rub away any "heehee"s or imitate squealing mice at an inappropriate place.

[Beep Beep]

Baek Hyun stopped.
Staring down at his phone screen that had informed him a human called 'Goldfishdick' had just sent him a message.

He opens it, trying to stop himself from getting all worked up about the guy across him.

'If I don't see your part in 3 hours, don't come for any project meetings next time.'

Baek Hyun hits his phone to his head, before jerking and rubbing the little pain it caused.
It means he will get kicked out of the group.

The assignment was due in a month's time, why is this fishbowl creature being such a ?!

Okay Byun Baek Hyun, complete your part right now and then when you are done, you can spend the entire rest of your time watching him for all you want, let yourself understand why you are feeling what you are feeling, anything!
So go back on and complete your fish food assignment before you get eaten up by that creature.

 

For the first few minutes, it did not work.
His mind was jumping around, like a crazy kid wanting to get the attention of his parents yet not wanting his parents to look at him.
As if it made sense...

But after reminding himself this assignment weighs 70% of his grades and the reward he would get after completing it, he starts diving into it, forcing his mind to concentrate on the contents of how Management works, just as much as how he should manage these urges and substituting corporate level strategies with concerns about what color this feeling might be, why the man looked so..., how many times does he bath a day in a strategic point of view...

It took him time, a long time before he finally sees himself on his way feeding his assignment to the inhumane group leader.

 

Outside, the skies had turned orange, the sun was setting as Baek Hyun stretched his sore arms and legs.

He felt his legs kicked something.
"Sorry!" He reacted naturally.
Looking up, he had forgotten it was the guy that kept him occupied before he completed his assignment...

Heart beats starts creaking in like mechanisms activated, the moment he raised his eyes at him again, the guy had his head on the table, head facing sideways, dozed away, seemingly unaffected by the little leg kick.

Baek Hyun couldn't control his lips widening at the sight of it now.
He's asleep, so he won't notice his cheeky face.
But hey, this guy could actually fall asleep in the library... ><

Maybe, this was a good time to watch this interesting man...to study his features well...
From his softy closed eyes, down to his long nose, down to those plum pink lips...

NOT.

Baek Hyun's phone beeped violently in his pocket.

Face palming his face, he takes it out and whispered a "Hello", making sure no librarians are on duty.

"Mr Byun! I'm cooking your dinner now!"

"Mom, can I eat out today...?" He regretted replying in the moment.

"What?! You told me you will be eating tonight, I just poured your portion of rice in the rice cooker, now I'm going to boil your portion of eggs, am I suppose to feed Mong Ryong with these?"

"N...No...it's okay, I...I will be back in 15 minutes..." Baek Hyun closed his eyes, disappointed by the chance he had just gotten, being flushed away by another phone communication. "Bye mom..."

He looked up at the guy opposite him, a huge overwhleming sadness spurred his mind as he packed his things, quietly standing up to take his leave.

But at least, before he departs completely away from this guy, he peeks over to his notes, a name visibly written on them.
Baek Hyun felt bad doing that...it was afterall, without the consent of the person, but he wanted to know his name, at the very bare minimum to remember this encounter.

He might never see this person again.
Afterall, he was just a person Baek Hyun had randomly saw amongst a crowd of people on a Sunday afternoon, who had shared this table space...oh god, Baek Hyun looked at the table, even this table was memorable now.

He wasn't sure, but calming his thoughts now, Baek Hyun collected his Macbook and took everything, preparing to leave.

As he walked away from the table, he paced a few steps back, right in front of the guy.

He bends down enough to see this man, eyes closed in utter close up, it did scare his small heart for a while that he backed away a bit.

He takes a light breath.

"I think..." He whispered as softly as he could. "I've fallen for you." He hesitated a little before uttering, "Park...Chan...Yeol..."

Saying that, his face grew hot that Baek Hyun quickly covers his face with his laptop and makes a mad dash away.
Running out of the library, he pants heavily.

He bites his lips, well, it was a momentarily encounter, perhaps to brighten his dull and gloomy day.
People come and go, even if it was a random person you saw on the road, that you are probably sure about your feelings for.

----

Baek Hyun stares at his assignment grade - High Distinction.

He rubs his eyes in disbelief...
Deep sea creature...

He  ran towards a student with black mushroom head hair and hugged him tightly.

"OMO GOLDFI...I mean, KYUNG SOO! YOU GOT THE WHOLE GROUP DISTINCTION!!!"

"Get away from me."

Baek Hyun squeezed him before Kyung Soo grabs a pencil, almost sinking it into his skin when Baek Hyun finally breaks away. "I didn't know you were this capable! I'm seeing you in a different light!"

Kyung Soo glares back, ready to poke his eyes with the pencil.

"Sorry Sorry Sorry..." Baek Hyun apologised, struggling with the brutal strength this creature has.

"There's another group with HD." Kyung Soo said. "It's because of you, we were the 2nd highest."

Baek Hyun blinked a few times, was this leader trying to aim for the top?
In a class of 20 groups?
And why is it his fault?

"Haha! Kyung Soo, you lost the bet."

A tall student in a darker tone came over, wrapping his arms over Kyung Soo's shoulders with a smirk on his face.
Kyung Soo immediately stabbed his hands that was comfortably resting on his shoulders that the student retreats his hand, and snatched the pencil away from him.

Seeing the interaction between the two, and Kyung Soo pointing his middle finger at the student, Baek Hyun quietly slips away with his bag when Kyung Soo pulled his shirt.

"Treat Se Hun and Chan Yeol too!" The student smiled.

Baek Hyun gulped. "I have dinner at home, Kyung Soo..." He struggled to break away from his pull.

"Baek Hyun will treat us." Kyung Soo bluntly said, his grip tightened.

"Eh? This is, who again?" The darker toned student lifted his eyes.

"Byun Baek Hyun." He replied. "This is Kai." He turns to Baek Hyun and introduced him.

Baek Hyun raised his hands weakly, forcing a smile. "Hi..." Somehow, Kai, seems familiar. Nevertheless, he comes back down to Kyung Soo, "My mom will feed Mong Ryong human food if I don't come home tonight..."

"Eh! This is that Baek Hyun?"

Baek Hyun looked up to see 2 guys coming towards him, one of them reacting, and the other...
He breaks into cold sweat immediately.

"Oi Chan Yeol," The guy beside him continued. "This is the guy who confessed to you?"

Baek Hyun froze, but it was the first time since, he saw a pink expression on Chan Yeol's face.


His huge round spectacles, his eyes that spoke colors and just the sight of his face, is enough to send his heart engine rewiring, mind pumping a million sutras and nonsense, all over again.

-The end-