Awakening, Meeting, and a Headache

Your Beating Heart
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Waking up with a terrible headache, my eyes have a hard time opening themselves. I stood up with difficulties from the spot I was laying down, only to notice I didn't know where I was. Only bars around and a narrow window that let only a few rays of sunshine entering the room. After what seemed to be a long time to me, and after scanning the place I was trapped in, I came to the conclusion that it was a cell. Head pains are coming back to me. Why am I here ? I don't remember anything that might have happened before, and my mind literally refuses to cooperate with me. I need to lay down again. As I did so, I tried my best to remind the earlier events, unsuccesfully. I sighed and rubbed my face with my hands in frustration. I'm too dizzy and weak right now. I started to hear footsteps in the corridor in front of the cell, and closed my eyes, like I was still sleeping. The person walking clubbed on the bars, bringing along some dull and annoying noises. I gave up and opened my eyes again to look at them. A guard.

 

« Hey you, get up ! »

« Who are you ? » I replied, very uncertain of the reason why he was here.

« I'm the security officer, who do you think I am ?! The director wants to see you. »

 

I made a grimace, still unsure about the current situation. I cleared my throat hesitantly.

 

« Where are we ? »

« Are you ing kidding me ? This is the Paragos' flying-jail ship. »

« A flying-jail ship ? »

 

I tilted my head to the side. The hell is that ? Futuristic much. Why am I even in a jail ?

 

« Get up for Gods' sake ! »

 

At his own words, he unlocked the cell's door as the bars erased themselves, sinking in the dirty floor. I stood up awkwardly and joined him. We walked for a while in the corridors, and I couldn't stop myself from glaring around suspiciously. Quite modern of a jail, I would say. I wouldn't have been surprised if everything here was controlled by some kind of huge computer. I made further steps ahead, but I noticed there are absolutely no other prisoner besides me. Odd. We made a turn and entered in another corridor under supervision. Maybe it leads to the director's office ? The security officer tapped a code on what seemed to be an intercom. The door opened by itself, revealing a huge room with lots of different decorations. Probably the office then ? The director sure is into luxury.

 

« Wait here. »

 

The officer left the room with no more words, leaving me alone and dumbfounded on my own spot. I can see the sky from here through the panoramic windows. Is it really a flying-jail ship then ? Ugh, my headache comes back to me all over again as soon as I start overthinking. After some minutes, another man in suit and grey hair entered the room.

 

« Here you are, Stephanie. »

 

How does he even know my name- oh. Yeah. He stared at me with a sly grin.

 

« A glass of water you might like ? »

« No. Thank you. Why am I here ? »

 

I replied quickly, bringing his smile off his face with me. Was he waiting for me to ask ? Apparently not.

 

« You will figure it out soon. »

« Why did you even want me to come ? »

 

He arched both eyebrows before sitting down his armchair. He started looking through a few files laying on his desk. He grabbed one of them and started reading.

 

« Stephanie Young Hwang. Born on August 1st, 1989 in San Francisco, California, United States of America. Brown-haired, brown-eyed. No distinguishing feature in particular, excepting maybe the tattoo on your right hand. May you confirm your identity to me ? »

 

As a reflex, I glanced at my hand. No visible tattoo in here, until- oh. I do have 'dreamer' engraved on the skin of my finger.

 

« Interesting. »

 

The director glared at the mark with an intense stare. He doesn't seem much surprised, though. He then looked up at me.

 

« This tattoo, Miss, is the reason why you are here. »

 

Those few words of his echoed to my ears, as it would be the key to all possible upcoming events in my life. What is the meaning behind my tattoo ? How are dreams linked with a jail-ship ?

 

« Go back to your cell now, I'm done with you. Oh, another thing. You will have to share it with another prisoner from now on. »

 

The security officer stepped back in the room and gestured for me to follow him to the said place. Another prisoner ? They might tell me more about it all.

As we kept walking for a moment through the corridors, passing by a good amount of cells on our way, we finally reached mine at some point. I slipped in the room, but the guard looked engrossed in something else. I tilted my head to the side, and heard the sound of a door opening, followed by screams and shouts.

 

« Leave me alone, ing human smugglers ! Don't touch me ! »

 

The feminine voice sounded like she was struggling with what rang to me as other guards or officers. Two strong men appeared in my line of sight, with them, the woman screaming her lungs out and trying her best to get out of their tight grip. They faced me and pushed her inside the room harshly before the security officer locked the door.

 

« Enjoy yourself enough now, huh ? »

 

They all burst out in a laughter and went back to their respective job. The other female smacked the bars of the cell in frustration.

 

« ers ! » She groaned out loud.

« Are you okay ? »

 

She turned her body to look at me, surprise written over her fac

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter