White Day

White Day

Hoya sighed and ran a hand through his hair. It was White Day, the day boys bought and gave presents for that special someone in their lives. It was his first year doing this, and no one had told him how difficult finding the right present was.

"I give up!" The man exclaimed after perusing through the fourth shelf of various knick knacks. The younger boy with him gave his Hyung a look and patted him on the back.

"Don't give up yet. I'm sure there's something here..."

"We've looked in three stores already, Sungjong! All I see here are weird cards and nutcrackers."

"Well, there's plenty more down the street. You're not meeting her until seven this evening. We've got plenty of time."

Hoya sighed again - Sungjong was right. But he was absolutely exhasperated. He wanted to get her the perfect present. He wanted it to be something she'd hold close to her forever. Of course, it had to be something that she could hold close. He chewed on his lip and played with the ring on his thumb as he went over possiblities in his mind.

As his skin touched the cool metal band for the fifth time, it came to him. He looked down at his thumb and practically shoved it in Sungjong's face.

"What? The ring Sunggyu gave all of us? You want to give her that?" The younger raised an eyebrow, incredulous.

"No, no, no. I want to get her a ring. You know, like couple rings. She mentioned she thought they were a cute idea a while back... I can't believe I didn't remember." Hoya's excited expression grew and he started tugging Infinite's youngest out of the store. 

"We went through a store with an entire case of rings thirty minutes ago. You couldn't remember then?"

Hoya ignored him and kept walking, dragging him back into said store and halting in front of said case of couple rings. He began carefully examining each one. He was suddenly determined to find the perfect ring. He wanted a meaningful one, but with all the inside jokes the two shared, he wasn't sure it was going to be easy either. Sungjong rolled his eyes and wandered into the back of the store. He decided he would save his Hyung the trouble and find a card for him.

It must have been another thirty minutes before Hoya finally picked out a ring and asked the employee behind the counter to wrap it for him. He turned around, looking for Sungjong, vaguely recalling how the boy had wandered off earlier.

"Sungjongie? I found the rings! Ready to go?"

"Here, Hyung. Give her this along with it." Sungjong handed Hoya a card he had found, hidden behind various "Happy Birthdays" and "Get Well Soons." Hoya gave him a quizzical look and took the card from his hand.

It was just a plain white card. Etched in gold, cursive lettering in the front was the English phrase "You'll always mean the world to me." The inside had a message in Korean that basically said the same thing. Hoya broke out into a smile.

"This is perfect, thank you." He handed the card to the employee and fumbled for his wallet.

 

She absentmindedly ran her fingers through her curled hair, shifting her weight from her right foot to her left. It wasn't like Hoya to keep her waiting. In fact, he was usually ten minutes early whenever they agreed to meet up. She sighed and checked her phone again, but to no avail. No new messages. Where the heck is he?

Her phone suddenly buzzed, causing her to jump and fumble to get it unlocked. She swore she could feel her heart speeding up when she saw the little message icon in the corner. She opened the message to find it was a picture of him.. He was sitting in what looked like a taxi, a childish pout on his face and one finger pointing towards the line of traffic behind him. Ah, so that was why.

But no sooner had she saved the picture (it really was amusing) and put her phone away that a familar voice called her name, followed by the sound of rapid footsteps. She turned to see Hoya running towards her, a bright smile on his face, which she was soon mirroring. He skidded to a sharp halt in front of her and tried to catch his breath.

"I'm so sorry. I almost forgot your gift and traffic was terrible-"

"Gift?"

"Yeah. It's White Day. You didn't think I wasn't going to get you a gift, did you?" He looked up at her and smirked.

Flustered, she tried to hide the blush creeping onto her cheeks. "No, I just- well I didn't - I mean I... you really didn't have to." She mumbled the last part and tried to avoid his gaze. He straightened up and closed the space between them, cupping her cheek with his hand and planting a sweet kiss at the corner of .

"What kind of boyfriend would I be if I didn't get you a gift on White Day? Come here." Hoya didn't give her time to say anything and pulled her over to a bench that overlooked a grassy field by the road. Once she sat down he wrapped his scarf around her and put a hand over her eyes. She was going to protest, but thought better of it.

"Keep your eyes closed for a second, okay?" He removed his hand and reached into his pocket for the small box. The card Sungjong had picked out was hidden in his jacket, and he set it onto her lap, keeping the jewelry box hidden for now. "Open your eyes."

She peeked one eye open and looked down at the card. She looked up at him before tentatively picking it up and reading the note he left her. She was always a big softy and tried not to tear up at his message.

Jagi - it's our first White Day! You know I'm not that good at sappy things like this, but please accept my gift with an open heart, yeah? I love you, and I want many more days like this in the future. You already do so much for me, and this dummy wants to do something in return. Close your eyes again.

She looked up in confusion after reading the last line. Hoya merely raised an eyebrow and smirked. She playfully rolled her eyes before closing them. The smirk never left her boyfriend's face as he grasped one of her hands and turned it so her palm was facing up. He placed the black box there and told her to open her eyes again.

Whens he looked down this time, she gasped and immediately opened the box. The lid opened with a pop! and she could feel tears pricking at her eyes.

"Hoya, you really? I mean you really-"

He leaned over and silenced her with a passionate kiss, his hands moving to take the box from her and remove the two silver rings. He broke the kiss only long enough to slip one on her middle finger and one on his. He moved his hands up to cup her face and captured her lips again. She sighed happily and tangled her fingers into his hair, hoping that for just those moments, time would stop.

And as she felt the cool silver against her skin and thought of the words etched into it - "promise" - she felt that time really had frozen, just for the two of them.