Cool For the Summer

Fling

A/N: Alright ppl. It is about that time! I'm serving you all a kinda fluffy kinda angsty Suho fic! I hope you all like it! As always leave me a comment and tell me what you thought of it! I adore your feedback. Sit back and enjoy the ride!!! 


“Order 33!”

Summer is the busiest time of year at the Ko Ko Bop Shake Shack. Tourists from all around come and visit the most popular shack on the island before hitting the iridescent waves just a few meters away. A normal summer day is chaotic and the night shifts hectic, but it is the most fun you have throughout the year.

Your coworker, Kyungsoo, calls your name, “I need a Bananarama stat!”

“On It!” You speed over to the back, quickly throwing lots of bananas and ice into a blender.

“I need a Cwholatta Piña Colada!”

“Roger that!” You call. Running to the next empty blender and throwing coconut, pineapple, ice, and a dash of ice cream into it.

There are two lines formed that go out the doors and still more people are adding to it, but that is what makes your job so exciting.

 

Hours pass, the sun is now setting and the crowds dwindle to nearly nothing. It’s rather late, but all of the tables in the building are occupied of customers slurping their exotic smoothie concoctions.

You wipe the sweat off of your forehead before diving into the hot sink, grabbing a glass cup and wiping it out. The front door bell rings, the alarm of a new customer, and you lift up your head to greet them, but the words stick to your tongue as you lock eyes with the owner’s son.

Kim Junmyeon.

Or, as he likes to be called, Suho. The young man is a few years older than you and unbelievably handsome. His father owns the Ko Ko Bop Shake Shack as well as a bar & grill and a swanky hotel.

The two and their family only spend time on the island during the summer, due to school and other obligations. From what you gather, it is a great way for Suho to learn the ropes of business while school is out.

It is obvious he isn’t a native, what with the expensive clothes and air around him. His appearance reeks of success and you envy him of that. You had to struggle all of your life.

“Oh, hello,” you greet shortly. You bow stiffly and turn your attention back to the cup you had been drying.

He bows in greeting. “Is my father around?”

Before you can answer, his father, Mr. Kim, comes barreling out from the back office. “My son! What are you doing here?”

“Just checking up on you,” Suho replies, walking up to the counter and leaning against it. He’s wearing his relaxation tourist clothes: a dark blue button down with palm trees decorating it, khakis, and flip flops that look like they cost more than one of your checks. His dark brown hair frames his face in little curls that seem to suit him rather well.

“And?” His father hints, raising an eyebrow knowingly at his son.

Suho chuckles. “And I was wondering if I could borrow the Ferrari tonight.”

Mr. Kim snorts. “Got some girls you’re trying to impress?”

Your dish washing slows down as you listen in on the family conversation. You peek at the man as he rolls his eyes in reply.

“Well,” his father continues. “There is no need to try to impress vapid girls when you have a real woman right here!”

Mr. Kim motions to you and you jump in surprise, dropping the cup that is in your hand back into the sink, getting water and soapsuds all over you.

You and Suho blink at one another before quickly glancing away awkwardly. You clear your throat and Suho stares intently at the ceiling.

“Anyways,” he starts, voice strained. “Can I have the car?”

“You need to be worrying more about your future son,” his father persists. “Women, they come and go, but a career makes you rich.”

“But I’m already rich.” Suho pouts, crossing his toned arms across his chest.

His father shakes his head. “No, Son, I’m rich.” He sighs and walks back into his office for a brief moment. The awkwardness that seems to be the only atmosphere around you and Suho returns with a vengeance. You try to ignore it by putting more effort into the dishes.

Mr. Kim finally comes back and holds his arm out to his son. A pair of shiny keys dangles from his fingertips.

Suho’s smile is blinding.

“Thanks, Dad! I owe you!”

“I will definitely come to collect. You haven’t worked at the shack once this summer.”

Suho’s smile melts instantly. “I told you, this summer my focus was on the hotel.”

“Couldn’t hurt to work here a shift or two.”

“Yes, Father,” he complies dejectedly.

“Have fun tonight. Don’t do anything stupid. You have a long day tomorrow.”

“Yes, Sir.” He bows slightly before throwing the keys in the air and catching them. “Thanks again.”

“Yeah, yeah,” his father dismisses.

Suho turns and struts out the door without a backward glance.

“He’s a good kid, you know?” Mr. Kim says. You realize he’s talking to you and bow quickly before nodding. It seems like he’s telling himself that more than you.

“I’m sure he is.”

 

An hour after, your shift ends.

Without changing from your uniform, you quickly untie your hair from its ponytail and make your way down to the beach.

About half a mile from where you entered is a bonfire party, the second one of the summer. As you get closer, you start seeing familiar faces, which is bound to happen, being how small the island is. There are a ton of people, all around your age, drinking, dancing, and flirting with each other.

The bonfire flames’ heat your bare skin as you spot your best friend and fellow co-worker, Oh Sehun. He notices you at the same time and waves you over. You jog over to him and when you’re close enough, he hands you a cup.

“It’s nice to see you’ve finally made it,” he says sarcastically.

You roll your eyes. “I’m still in my uniform, you nerd.”

He shrugs and taps his cup to yours before chugging the alcohol inside.

You decide to take it a lot easier than him, sipping slowly on the rancid liquid as you let your eyes scan the party. It has been going on for a while now and most of the crowd is drunk. A bunch of guys decided it would be a good idea to jump over the fire and in the back you notice a bunch of girls playing limbo.

A hand on your wrist drags your attention away from the scene.

“Let’s dance!” Sehun proclaims before dragging you over to a sandy area where people are grinding against one another.

An hour and four cups later, you throw yourself onto the ground, exhausted. Sehun ditched you for a cute blonde about twenty minutes ago, so you are alone. Despite your best effort, you find yourself glimpsing around the dim beach, searching for him, but he hasn’t shown up yet.

You sigh. He is the reason you went to this thing in the first place and he didn’t even arrive. You should have known better.

You get up and brush the sand off of your backside, trying not to topple over again. You pluck the button down that you are required to wear for work off the sand and throw it over your shoulders. As soon as you begin walking away from the beach, someone catches your eye.

You blink in surprise as he nudges his head towards the trees that are a few meters away from the party, before turning around without a second glance, heading towards them. You check to make sure nobody is watching and jog over to where he has disappeared within the brush.

Once you enter the small forest, a large warm hand grabs your forearm and yanks you back, pressing you against a tree.

“I’ve been searching for you,” he murmurs, cupping your face in his hands. “I thought you stood me up.”

“I would never do that to you,” you assure, voice barely a whisper.

His dark eyes sparkle as he stares deep into the lakes of your eyes and you are too stunned by his beauty and attention to break the contact.

Finally, he leans in and slowly captures your lips with his own, molding them with yours in a soft but passionate kiss.

After what feels like an eternity, he pulls away and rests his forehead against your own.

“I missed you,” he admits. His voice is shaky with need.

“I missed you too, Suho.”

 

You find yourself walking down the long stretch of sand near the shore, hand in hand with Suho.

“It was so hard not to stare at you at Ko Ko Bop earlier,” he reveals, chuckling at himself. “When my dad hinted at me being with you, I almost peed myself.”

Your smile dims. “Would that be so wrong though?”

He glances over at you. “Pardon?”

“Being with me…publically. Would it be so wrong?”

He stops you in your tracks and turns you both so you’re facing each other. “You know we can’t.”

“I know,” you say quickly.

“My family wouldn’t get it if they knew and my future is riding on a lot of things….”

“Suho,” you say loudly. He stops talking and stares at you with worry. You smile reassuringly. “I know.”

“Yes, of course.” He nods. “I just don’t want you to feel as if I’m ashamed of you or something. It’s not like that.”

“You don’t have to explain yourself.” You assure. “Plus, it’s fun, sneaking around, right?”

He laughs once and pulls you into him. The side of your head hits his firm chest and you feel his arms wrap around your waist, pulling you in as much as he could. The air from his nose blows back your hair lightly and it tickles.

“It is.” He admits. “But it makes me miss you more.”

You pull back enough to take in his angelic features. His round soft eyes meet yours steadily. The saying goes that people wear their hearts on their sleeves, but Suho wears his in his eyes. The admiration he has for you is visible through the windows of his soul, leaving you breathless. His plump pink lips are open a bit, beckoning you to taste them, and you can’t deny such a request, so you lean forward and press your lips to his.

This feeling. This is why you allow yourself to remain one of Suho’s many secrets. This is why you avoid him during the day, why you only can call yourself his under the protection of the moon. This feeling of someone so powerful and rich kissing and wanting you. You, who can’t even afford a car, you’re kissing Kim Junmyeon, and he is kissing you back with just as much fervor.

The smile on Suho’s face as you pull away leaves your heart stuttering and as the full moon shines off his hair and eyes all you can think about is the fact that despite everything he just said, he will one day break your heart.

 

It has been three days since the bonfire party, and you haven’t heard from nor seen Suho since. That is what your relationship is really. He’s in town for business and that comes first. You are second. And that is all right with you, you are just as busy. You have a full time job as well as taking care of your mom who can’t do much on her own. You also have a social life you need to maintain.

You miss him like crazy though.

True to his word, Mr. Kim forced Suho to work a shift at Ko Ko Bop, and of course, it just so happens to be one that you’re working as well.

You and Sehun trudge into the building earlier than the two of you would like and pause as you see Suho come out of the office wearing the signature orange Hawaiian uniform shirt. He notices you two and bows quietly.

Sehun obnoxiously on his coffee before opening his big fat mouth. “What are you doing here?”

You close your eyes at his sharp tone, but admit you are just as curious.

“Well,” Suho starts awkwardly, a big nervous smile on his face and you try not to drool over how white and straight his teeth are. “My father thought it would be a good idea for me to work some shifts down at the shack.”

Sehun nods. “That’s cool. We haven’t worked with you all summer.”

He doesn’t push the subject more, instead pushing you ahead of him to enter the other side of the counter. You walk straight to the office to clock on and feel Suho watching you the entire trip there.

The three of you set up shop quietly. Suho keeps finding reasons to walk pass you and brush his knuckles across your skin whenever he can. At one point, you are having trouble reaching the straws at the top of a shelf and he comes up behind you. Without a word, he holds your waist with one hand to keep stable as he reaches above you to snatch the box you failed at getting. The action causes his body to press firmly against your own.

“Here you go,” he whispers, his lips tickling your ear. He hands you the box of straws, bodies still against each other.

“T-thanks.” You blush, trying to avoid eye contact at all costs.

He chuckles darkly and walks away with a saunter that dries your mouth.

Business hours don’t stop him from flirting with you either, much to your embarrassment. Luckily, Sehun seems to not notice anything, and the first four hours go by with only a snide remark on how red your face was.

It is a slower day than usual, and the three of you are pretty much trying to keep busy between customers. Sehun asks if it is all right for him to go on break, and both you and Suho agree you can handle it without him for thirty minutes, so he leaves for lunch.

The atmosphere tenses as soon as the door closes behind Sehun. The sensation of Suho’s gaze locked on you is too much to bear so you try to escape by retreating to the office. On the desk sits your favorite smoothie that you had made a while ago and you slurp it down, letting the ice-cold sweet liquid cool down the rising temperature of your body.

Hands land solidly on your hips and you choke, coughing unattractively. You spin around in arms you find extremely familiar with eyes wide from shock.

“Suho!” You exclaim, throat still tight.

He laughs at your reaction and leans in closer. “Yes, my dear?”

“What are you doing?” You ask, glancing at the open office door into the lobby of your job, of which you are working.

“Nothing,” he says innocently, though the way he is observing your lips look anything but. He s you against the desk and steps closer so that the front of your bodies touch once again.

You narrow your eyes at his innocent expression. “What if a customer comes in?”

“The door will remind us of any customers,” he notes, nose brushing against yours. “I’ve been wanting to kiss you since I first saw you this morning.”

His voice has deepened with desire and you have to swallow all the saliva that floods your mouth from his tone. You gasp as one of his hands slides down to your and he uses that as an excuse to the inside of your mouth.

“You taste so sweet,” he moans, deepening the kiss with a growl. You fall into it, wrapping both your arms and legs around him, pulling him in deeper. You swear you hear bells go off, but there are also fireworks and bombs so you don’t think much of it as you yank a handful of Suho’s uniform and fall back onto the desk, dragging him with you. He moans in your mouth from surprise and you smile as you drag your teeth against his bottom lip, yanking it with your retreat.

“Um…. What the hell?”

That’s enough for Suho to rip himself off of you and spin around to the entrance of the office. You sit up quickly and take in Sehun’s tall frame. One of his hands is covering his mouth in shock and his eyes are the biggest you’ve ever seen.

“I forgot my wallet….” He says, his stoic demeanor back. “But it looks like you two forgot you were on the clock.”

 

You are now on Sehun’s list.

The rest of the shift drags on and you can’t even talk to Suho professionally without Sehun’s glare coming to play. Clocking out is the most relief you felt in weeks, and you nearly sprint out of there.

Sadly, you aren’t fast enough.

Sehun, who clocked out the same time as you, pulls the back of your shirt collar, dragging you to a stop and almost causing you to fall on your .

“Not so fast,” he says. He wraps his hand around your neck and guides you to the scene of the crime. You lock eyes with Kyungsoo, who just punched in a few minutes ago, and he gives you a pity smile before returning his attention to the register.

Luckily, Suho left an hour before the two of you, so he wouldn’t be involved in the conversation you are about to have.

You take a seat at the front of the desk you and Suho had been sprawled across a mere few hours ago and try to brush away the fresh memory as Sehun closes the door silently behind you.

“Tell me everything.” He says simply.

You spin in your seat, taking in his tall frame leaning against the shut door nonchalantly and sigh.

“It started last summer.”

He quirks an eyebrow, surprised.

“It was during a shift we worked together, just the two of us. One thing led to another, and before I knew it, we were hooking up almost everyday until he had to return to the mainland. I thought it was just a summer fling and didn’t think much of it, but when he returned this summer we kind of just picked up where we left off.”

The silence that follows is deafening. Sehun slowly digests the new information, leaving you in suspense to how he will react.

Finally, he takes a deep breath. “Do you love him?”

You blink at the question. Did you love him? Your brain wouldn’t allow it, but your heart….

“I don’t think so,” you admit slowly.

“Well, you shouldn’t,” he continues. You notice a sharpness leak into his voice and gulp. “He’s handsome and charming, sure, and he’s a complete sweetheart, I admit. But he isn’t one of us. He doesn’t know struggle, he can’t relate. He’s probably just using you. I mean, does anybody else even know you two are… whatever it is you are?”

You hesitantly shake your head, biting your lip with worry.

He glares at nothing in particular. “Why not? Is he embarrassed?”

“Sehun….” You don’t want to have this conversation, even though you know you have to.

“I’m just saying.” His voice and features soften as he stares at you. “I don’t want to see you hurt.”

“I know.” You quickly get up from your seat and run into his open arms. The pair of you sigh as he rocks you.

“Figure out what you want—what both of you want—before it’s too late.”

 

Maybe it is too late.

Another week comes and goes without a word from your lover.

The last time you saw him was two days after your shared shift. While you were about to enter Ko Ko Bop for a shift he was exiting with his father in tow. You locked eyes briefly, but his eyes slid easily off of yours, continuing his conversation as if he never saw you.

You had to swallow back the bubble forming in your throat from the rejection.

After much consideration and a few sleepless tearstained nights, you figure yes, you need to confront Suho. You have come to terms with your feelings for him, and although it may not be love, it is definitely strong enough for you to want to pursue. You want to be with him. You are tired of this game the two of you are playing, tired of being some secret that he will leave behind without a backward glance on an island he doesn’t even live in

You want something real or nothing at all. The thought of confessing terrifies you, but you know that it must be done, for your sanity’s sake.

You’re wiping down tables when Mr. Kim strolls in.

“Hello, Mr. Kim,” you greet. He waves at you and heads to the back and you continue with the tables. He comes back out a few minutes later and leans against the front counter

“So, I’m having an appreciation party for all of my employees,” he begins. You and Sehun, who is working along side you today, stop what you are doing and glance over at your boss. “Friday at three.”

He holds up a piece of paper. “This is the flyer. I’ll hang it up in the office so that the others know. It’ll be at the beach. I hope to see you both there.”

With that, he leaves the building. Sehun and you lock eyes from across the counter.

“Well, that’s new,” you say offhandedly.

“Would rather have gotten a raise,” Sehun mutters. He picks up a broom and proceeds to sweep the lobby with a deep sigh.

 

Despite Sehun’s lack of enthusiasm, the two of you find yourselves walking arms linked towards the bundle of individuals down on the beach next to the boardwalk that Friday. It is closer to four than three, but Sehun really did not want to go and you really did not want to go alone. His condition to going is that you had to talk to Suho today, and he isn’t going to allow you to leave until the conversation is had.

You almost told him never mind.

But this is the first time Mr. Kim has done anything like this and you are curious. It doesn’t help that deep down you want to catch a glimpse of the man who has been ignoring you for almost two weeks.

There are definitely more than Ko Ko Bop employees here and you suspect he invited all of his employees from all of his businesses.

Your suspicion is confirmed by Sehuns loud cry. “Aye, Kim Jongdae!”

You jump from Sehun’s loud tone and search for the man with the kitty curls. You find him swiftly, standing near a table ahead of you, laughing with a group of people as he twirls a green straw around his pink drink.

His head snaps over to where he heard the voice and his lips curl into a bright grin as he watches your approach.

“What are you guys doing here?” He asks, meeting you halfway.

“We work at Ko Ko Bop, remember?” You say.

“Oh right. I thought this was just for those who work at The Eve.” The Eve is the bar and grill Mr. Kim owns as well.

“Obviously not,” another voice adds. You spin around and see Byun Baekhyun, who is being trailed by the tall Park Chanyeol. The two, you already know, work at the Diamond Hotel.

“I guess I stand corrected.” Jongdae says around his cup.

“This is cute right?” You ask, leading the four fellows over to the table to grab a drink of your own.

“It is,” Chanyeol agrees. “And completely out of character.”

“Yeah,” Baekhyun adds. “I’ve worked at the Diamond Hotel for five years now and he has never done anything like this before.”

“People change,” Sehun says simply.

You all grab a glass and sip on them as you chat and join other groups. Nearly an hour passes and you’re having fun.

“Have you seen him yet?” Sehun asks and you sober up immediately. You know who he is referring to and shake your head.

“He has to make an appearance, he is Mr. Kim’s son after all.”

“I suppose you are right,” you say dismissively.

The sun is slowly beginning to set and you know this shindig is going to come to an end soon.

“I’ll be right back,” you let Sehun know before heading over to the line of porta potties.

“Do you have to leave so soon?” You hear a girl ask. You don’t think much of the comment; it isn’t addressed to you so you keep walking.

“I don’t want to.” Now, that voice brings you to a halt. “But school starts in two weeks and I need to prepare.”

“That’s so lame.” The female sulks. You can hear the frown on her face. “I enjoyed working with you this summer, Suho.”

“Me too, Anda.”

You check your left and notice, in the tall grass, far away from the party, Suho with this Anda girl.

All right. Let’s not pretend you don’t know who Anda is because you do. She lives rather close to you and is a manager at the Diamond Hotel. The same hotel Suho has been investing all of his time in this summer.

The pair embrace in what feels like slow motion. It affects you like a slap in the face. Unable to bare another second, you run back to the party, slipping on sand in your haste.

Is she the reason why he’s been avoiding you recently? Has he moved on to a new summer fling?

Tears sprang into your eyes, causing you to bump into someone roughly. Strong arms wrap around you and you struggle to see your savior through the film of tears.

Kyungsoo is staring at you with a mixture of shock and worry. “Are you alright?”

You sniff and open your mouth with the intention to reassure him, but instead, a sob comes out.

“Oh no,” you hear him mutter under his breath before pulling you up and practically carrying you away from the party. The whole time you are preventing your sobs from gaining any unwarranted attention.

He leads you back to his car and sits you in the passenger seat before making his way to the driver’s side.

“Let it out, Babe,” he encourages and that’s all you need to hear. Loud sobs rack your frame as you cry out all of the pain Suho has caused you the past few months.

Kyungsoo pats your head awkwardly and patiently waits for your wails to become soft whimpers until they die out completely.

You have no idea how much time has passed once you stop sobbing, but you are now exhausted.

“Feel better?” Kyungsoo asks softly. You shrug and wipe your face with the back of your hand. “This is about Suho, isn’t it?”

You jerk around to stare at him with wide eyes and he winces.

“I might have overheard your conversation with Sehun last week.”

You are silent for a minute, wondering how much you can trust telling Kyungsoo. The need to get it all off of your chest is strong and Kyungsoo is quiet so you confess everything to him, down to the moment you saw Suho hugging another girl.

Kyungsoo’s lips are pressed into a hard line as he faces his dash. “You have to tell him.”

“I know,” you whine, sinking low into your chair.

“If he rejects you, he rejects you, but if he doesn’t….”

“But he will,” you whisper. Tears sting your eyes in warning. “He will reject me, Kyungsoo. He doesn’t care about me the way I do him. I’m just a girl he hooks up with in the summer. I’m a fling.”

“Don’t say that,” Kyungsoo objects, turning around in his seat so he is facing you. “You are so much more than that. If Suho can’t see that, then he doesn’t deserve you. But you won’t know until you ask.”

“I want to go home,” you whimper after another brief silence. Without hesitation, Kyungsoo starts his car and pulls out, turning onto the road.

“I already texted Sehun,” Kyungsoo informs, eyes trained on the road. “He said he would talk to you later, okay?”

You nod, not sure if he sees it or not.

The rest of the drive is silent and he gets to your house in no time.

“Thank you,” you say. “For listening.”

“Of course.” Kyungsoo smiles and you notice his lips look like a heart, but in a second, his features turn serious. “Call him.”

“I will.”

“I mean it,” he threatens.

“I’m aware.”

You get out of the car and make your way to your room and fall asleep instantly.

 

You wake up Saturday more tired than before you went to bed. You have the day off, so you take a much-needed shower and eat some breakfast before working up the courage to text Suho, asking him to meet you at your spot on the beach. He texts back a while later, telling you he’s working at the Diamond Hotel, but can meet you there around six. Your stomach lurches at the thought of him being in such close proximity with Anda, but you shove the idea out of your mind and reply with a quick okay.

At six on the dot, you arrive at the forest on the edge of the beach you and Suho frequented, being that it is one of the only places that provided you privacy. You hate it.

Not long after you arrive, you hear footsteps followed by Suho jogging in, finding you instantly. He’s wearing a white button down that is tucked into gray slacks, his feet bare.

“Hey, Dear.” He smiles widely and reaches towards you for a hug. His excitement at seeing you causes your body to react, but your brain is quicker and you push back slightly.

“What’s wrong?” He asks, not used to you denying him. This is the first time you have ever denied him.

“There is something I need to tell you,” you confess, staring at the sand.

“Okay,” he says slowly, leaning against a tree. He looks incredibly confused and a bit worried.

“I…I know that what we have isn’t supposed to be serious, Suho. I know that you only are with me because it’s convenient.”

“What would make you think that?” He asks, shocked.

“Oh, I don’t know, maybe the fact that you only want to be with me in secret and haven’t talked to me in over a week?”

He calls your name but you hold up a hand, causing him to swallow whatever it is he is going to say.

“I don’t want to be a secret anymore, Suho. I want something real and I want to have that with you.”

“We’ve talked about this,” he begins, making his way towards you. “You said you were okay with what we were doing.”

“Because at the time I thought I was!” You yell. “I thought if I can have you even for a small moment that I would be fine, but I’m not! I hate this, Suho!”

He flinches from your hostility. “It’s just that my family—”

“They wouldn’t understand, blah, blah. But have you ever thought that they wouldn’t care as long as you were happy? I know your father, Suho, he seems like a very understanding man.”

“You only know what he shows you,” he mumbles.

“He’s my boss, Suho. I know how tough he can be, but he loves you. That just seems like an excuse to keep me quiet.”

“I promise it’s not.”

He looks at you with pleading eyes and you want so badly to forget this entire conversation and fall into his arms, but you know you have to do this, for the both of you.

All the same, you’re pissed. “Or would you rather be with Anda?”

His face crunches with confusion. “Anda? What does she have to do with anything?”

“I saw you two yesterday. You looked rather comfortable with her wrapped in your arms.”

He stares at you with disbelief for a moment. “That was a goodbye hug, strictly platonic. I wouldn’t… her and I aren’t like that.”

You almost laugh from the relief you feel. He honestly has no idea why you even brought Anda up and that lets you know that he really doesn’t have feelings for her. There still is one person you aren’t so sure of….

“I want the truth.” You say dejectedly. “Do you want me? Do you really want this? Because if you don’t we can walk out of here and go our separate ways and never look back.”

“You want the truth?” He asks. His voice wobbles and as he meets your eyes, his are slightly rimmed red. “The truth is I’m scared.”

“Scared?” You ask, having no clue where he’s going with his train of thought. “Why?”

“Why?” He laughs without humor. “Because when I’m with you I’m genuinely happy. I’m constantly stressed from the pressure of my family’s name and the expectations my parents’ have had of me since the day I was born. You make me forget all of that. You make me feel normal and that scares me.”

He finally is able to walk over to you without you trying to push him away and grabs your hands. “I’m not here for any other reason but work. I’m supposed to take over the Diamond Hotel after graduation and so this summer has been a lot tougher for me than last. That hotel is supposed to be my main concern, my only thought, but I couldn’t get you off my mind. I keep losing my focus from thoughts of you. You keep distracting me from my work, which is why I’ve been trying to ignore you.”

“Distracted? By me?” You ask skeptically.

His stare is piercing, almost to the point where you have to look away. “It was tough. I kept pulling my phone out, typing out a text to you to meet before erasing it. But in my mind I had come to the conclusion that ignoring you would be for the best. It would keep us casual; keep my head in the game, but it only made it worse. Everyone kept asking me if I was all right. I was beginning to wonder if I was. But then it hit me….”

He let his sentence trail off, keeping you in suspense.

“What?” You finally snap. “What hit you?”

He chuckles, receiving the reaction he wanted. “The realization that I was falling for you.”

You gasp. He releases your hands and cups one of your cheeks, softly brushing it with the tips of his fingers.

“I think that’s what scares me the most,” he continues in a whisper. “That I’m too late, and have already fallen.”

“Suho….” You reach for the hand on your cheek, holding on to it tightly.

“I don’t know what will happen to us,” he confesses. “I don’t know what being with you will do, but I’m willing to make it work, willing to go public, because—dammit—I can’t ignore you any longer, and quite frankly, I don’t want to.

“So, can you forgive me? I’m really sorry for the way I’ve been treating you. I can’t handle you being mad at me.”

He pouts and it takes everything in you not to kiss him.

“I guess I can,” you feign nonchalance and he smiles down at you before leaning in for a kiss, but you stop him with a finger to his lips. “But you have to tell your parents about me.”

He ponders for a minute before nodding. “Okay. We can tell my father on your next shift.”

The realization that Suho just confessed and you are now officially together hits you and you beam up at him. Wrapping your arms around his neck, you drag him down to your level and plant a big kiss on his lips, which he returns without hesitation.

 

“Ew.”

That’s the first thing Sehun says as he walks into Ko Ko Bop the following Tuesday. Both you and Kyungsoo worked the morning shift and Sehun was coming to relieve you for the evening. The thing is Suho stopped by after he got off work at the hotel and the two of you have been making heart eyes at each other ever since. Kyungsoo leans on the far counter, smiling at you two lovebirds with relief.

“Shut it,” you snap, pulling away from Suho. He whines at the distance and you giggle, cupping his face briefly before jumping onto Sehun’s back as he walks into the office to clock on.

He carries you without a word and you slide off after you officially end your shift.

“It’s kind of weird,” Sehun reveals to you quietly, glancing at the open door to make sure the conversation stays private. “Seeing you two like that.”

“It is, huh?” You agree. “But I like it… and I like him.”

“I know you do. And I like him too. You suit each other.”

“You think?”

“I know.”

Your emotions get the best of you and you yank Sehun into a tight hug. He groans in protest but returns it nonetheless.

You both return to the main lobby and you slow as you notice Suho chatting with someone.

Not just ‘someone’.

It’s Mr. Kim.

He notices you before his son does and greets you happily. “How was your shift?”

“Busy,” you say with a nervous smile. You stand next to Suho, who’s sitting on a bar stool.

“Suho here was saying that he had something important to tell me, but had to wait until you were here.” Mr. Kim reveals.

You share a look with your boyfriend; his expression asks if you are ready. Are you ready? Definitely. But you are also super nervous.

“Well, Father,” Suho begins. “The truth is we’re dating.”

He grabs your hand, intertwining your fingers and you smile warmly at the small action.

His dad doesn’t say anything for a second, but than the biggest smile you have ever seen stretches his face and he laughs hardily.

“I was hoping this day would come!” He yells, pulling you both into a big hug that squeezes you until you can’t breathe.

“Youre—youre not mad?” Suho asks after he lets go of you, baffled.

“Hell no!” His dad admits. “I adore her! She’s the only one good enough for my son!”

“That’s good to hear,” you say smugly.

“I can’t wait to tell your mother!” His father continues. “And we’ll have to have you over for dinner, of course. Oh, but what about school, Suho?”

“School?” You repeat, glancing at the handsome guy holding your hand.

“Oh,” he says. “That.”

“I’ll give you guys some space,” Mr. Kim says awkwardly, feeling the tension he just caused. He escapes, leaving the new couple.

“I’m leaving back to the mainland in two weeks,” Suho reveals to you, though his gaze is on the counter.

“Oh,” you say, not knowing what else to say.

“But,” he starts quickly. “We can still make this work.”

“How?” You ask, hating the fact that your voice cracks.

“There is webcams and cellphones and planes. We can visit each other during breaks. If we both put in the effort, we will do just fine.”

“But I’ll miss you.” you pout.

He pushes a chunk of your hair behind your ear. “I’ll miss you too. Everyday. But that’ll just make me work harder.”

“Why would it do that?” you ask.

“Because.” He wraps his arms around you, squeezing gently. “I’ll want to do my best so I can move here as fast as I can.”

“Move here?” You pull away to look at his sparkling eyes.

“I told you I’m taking over the Diamond Hotel. I’ll have to live here to do that.”

“Suho!” You couldn’t believe it. All the time you have known Suho, he only stayed in the summer. “Like move here for good?”

“Yup.” He confirms happily.

“Then you must do very well in your studies!”

“You will be my motivation.”

He leans in and kisses you deeply. You fall into the kiss, committing the shape of his lips to memory. For you didn’t know how much longer you would be able to do this.

“Get a room!” Sehun calls from the other side of the counter. He throws a rag at you both and you break away laughing.

The future may be a little unclear as of the moment, but right now, you are the happiest you have ever been.

And it is all because of Suho.