Good Directions

Love Like a Country Song

The sun was blazing down on the back of his neck like nobody’s business. But this was Georgia; the heat was nothing new and Kyungsoo wore his lifelong tan like a second skin.

He lay sprawled out in the back of his daddy’s flatbed truck and crunched on a pork rind as he seriously considered a nap. Technically he was supposed to be selling the last of his mama’s turnips, not sleeping. But he’d been out here all week. Anyone from around town who had wanted to buy some had been by already.

And now Kyungsoo had nothing to do but pull his hat down over his eyes and actually take that nap out in the sunshine.

He removed his cap to run a hand through his hair and had just replaced it when a shiny black car pulled up to where he’d parked the flatbed. Kyungsoo thought it might be a Mercedes, but no one around there really drove cars like this one, so he couldn’t be totally sure. He did note the custom Hollywood license plate, however, and sort of hated himself for being a walking, breathing, redneck stereotype.

He might as well be the hero in a country song—truck, hat, work boots, and all.

If that stereotype was true though, it was also true that Kyungsoo’s mama had taught him good country manners, if nothing else. He would not invite her wrath by being rude to this stranger from California.

“Morning,” greeted Kyungsoo. He hopped off the truck and nodded to the man who’d exited the fancy car. The man was unbearably pretty; Kyungsoo wished he’d personally taken a little more care in choosing what to wear that morning. He pushed the thought aside. “How’re you doing today?”

Kyungsoo swallowed hard at the sensuous curl of the man’s lips when he smiled. He pulled his hat off his head and ran a hand through his hair again.

“You’re very tan,” the man informed him, like this was something Kyungsoo might not know. “People pay lots of money to look like that, where I’m from.”

Everyone out here looked like Kyungsoo. He told the man this. “You move out here and you’ll be just as dark as me in less than a month.”

The man’s smile turned...hungry as he looked Kyungsoo over slowly. It had to be at least 95 degrees outside, but the heat in the man’s eyes had Kyungsoo suppressing a shiver.

“Maybe I will move out here,” said the man. “I’m certainly enjoying the view.”

Darn this man and his smile for making Kyungsoo blush like a fourteen year old experiencing a first crush!

“I assume you’re not wanting to buy turnips,” Kyungsoo practically growled, studiously ignoring the man’s flirting. “What can I do for you?”

The man’s gaze told of all sorts of things he thought Kyungsoo might do for him, but he merely winked, then explained that he’d gotten lost and asked for directions back to the highway.

“Way up yonder past the caution light,” said Kyungsoo, pointing as he spoke, “there’s a little country store with an old Coke sign. You’ve gotta stop in and ask Miss Bell for some of her sweet tea.”

The man his lips. Kyungsoo took that as agreement and continued.

“Then a left will take you to the interstate.”

“And?” The man asked, voice teasing.

“And nothing,” Kyungsoo responded firmly. He had end-of-the-season turnips to sell and an mid-morning nap to take. He didn’t have time for pretty men from California who drove cars too fancy for the backwoods of Georgia. “Even an idiot can follow the signs on the interstate to get himself where he wants to go.”

“An idiot would be a man who meets someone as delicious as you out here and leaves for that interstate in the first place.”

“Well a right at Miss Bell’s will take you right back here to me,” admitted Kyungsoo, almost shyly. “But I’m sure even idiots have places to be.”

His words seemed to snap the man back into business mode and he frowned when he agreed, “You’re right. Even idiots have places to be.”

Kyungsoo hoped it wasn’t his imagination that the man sounded sort of disappointed as he checked his watch and stepped back towards his car. The man certainly did seem less cheerful when he said, “It was a pleasure…”

“Kyungsoo.”

“It was a pleasure, Kyungsoo,” the man repeated. “I’m Baekhyun and I’m sorry that I have to be an idiot.”

Kyungsoo shrugged, trying not to let the man’s imminent departure bother him. Of course Baekhyun couldn’t be all that upset about leaving this little town and getting back to real life. But his attentions had been nice, even if only for a moment. And Baekhyun was a wonderful thing to daydream about as Kyungsoo watched the man drive away. He smiled as he closed his eyes to sleep and finally cash in on that nap.

When he woke up again he thought he must still be dreaming. It hadn’t been a long rest—the sun looked like it had barely moved—but it was enough for him to feel groggy and confused by the familiar black car that had just pulled up. Again.

“I’m an idiot,” Baekhyun said by way of greeting. Kyungsoo raised an eyebrow and Baekhyun looked a little sheepish. “I mean, we’d already established that but I thought you might need a reminder. Miss Bell—Who, by the way, is apparently your mom? Thanks for that—she makes some spectacular sweet tea.

Kyungsoo, of course, knew that already. He’d grown up on his mama’s sweet tea; no one in the county made it as wonderfully as she did.

He also knew that Baekhyun thought he was an idiot for leaving yet he’d left anyway. So what Kyungsoo didn’t know was why Baekhyun, possibly the man of his dreams—or his daydreams, at the very least—had come back.

“Miss Bell asked me how I liked your little town. I, of course, told her all about the gorgeous man out selling vegetables by the side of the road,” Baekhyun told Kyungsoo cheekily. “She made me wait until I’d finished my entire glass of tea, and then she sent me right back here to you.”

Thank the Lord for mamas, Kyungsoo thought. And his was the best of the best.

He patted the spot next to him on the flatbed, and Baekhyun perked up.

“Really? I’ve never sat in the back of a truck before!”

Kyungsoo couldn’t help himself; Baekhyun’s enthusiasm was adorable. “You’ve never rolled around with someone in the back of a flatbed neither, I’d wager.”

Baekhyun hopped up next to him and slid over so close that Kyungsoo could feel their thighs press together. “They say that first time’s the charm,” Baekhyun flirted as he leaned even closer.

“I was kicking myself for letting you drive away like that,” Kyungsoo whispered, his breath hotter than the Georgia sun against Baekhyun’s mouth.

“I was kicking myself for leaving.”

“Thank God for my mama,” said Kyungsoo. He leaned forward just a little further and smiled when their lips brushed. “And for good directions.”

Baekhyun wrapped his arms around Kyungsoo’s shoulders to kiss him more deeply. “And turnip greens,” he added, before kissing Kyungsoo again.

When they at last separated, Baekhyun his lips. “You taste like pork rinds,” he said. His grin was positively wicked. “Yum.”

Baekhyun’s arms were still around him. “Idiot,” Kyungsoo said, and matched Baekhyun’s grin.