final

May the best man win

“I am sure that you are all aware that the showcase at the end of this school year is the most important one in your musical career. Many a boss from record labels and even scouts for major entertainment companies will be present, so it is of the highest importance that you will do your best. I urge you to practice every day, and to put your skills to use because if you excel in the eyes of these men and women you will leave this university with a record deal or contract. We have also set high standards for our students throughout these years, and we would like to keep our excellent reputation, so please do not embarrass our good name, and therefore yours as well. If we see any student trying to turn this in a joke we will make sure to expel you on the spot. Are we clear?

 

Also I would like to inform you, that once again we will pick one student to be leading the showcase. Said student will get to perform a set of three songs throughout the evening with one performance as the ending slot. We will pick the students based on performance in class, attendance and grades.”

 

Baekhyun let out a huge yawn as he listened to the words of his teacher miss Kang. They have had the same speech for the last 5 years. Every end of the year showcase is important. Every year there are men and women from agencies and record labels present. Every year they are warned not to turn it into a joke and to do their best. These words have been drilled into their minds and so he didn’t think to pay attention.

 

“Mr. Byun, I see you are thoroughly bored by my words. I assume that you have your entire performance planned out?” miss Kang spoke to him. Her face was set in her usual scowling manner and it did not phase him one bit. She always thought so lowly of him, and he laughed inwardly at her stupidity of confronting him this way in class, because yes he was prepared.

 

“You assumed right, miss Kang. Every details has been taken into consideration to the point where I have one backup outfit and three songs, plus a detailed light plan for each of those three performances.” Baekhyun countered. He heard some of his classmate giggle under their breath, scared of making their teacher angry. Miss Kan was a sweet woman but once you got on her nerves or did something that was against the rules she would become your worst nightmare. Baekhyun always liked to challenge this.

 

“Alright mr. Byun, well done. Next time do pay attention though since this talk is also for your benefit even though you have heard it every year.” the teacher explained calmly. Baekhyun answered with a curt nod and let miss Kang continue with the rest of the class.

 

There was one person in class who was drilling holes in the back of Baekhyun’s head. Envious of how much the singer had accomplished already, and for always getting away with everything because he was the star of their year. He worked just as hard for it and he excelled at different parts than his classmate. Jongdae never liked how Baekhyun was treated as if he was born with a silver spoon in his mouth.

 

They had become rivals at the first day they entered the school. Both of them had an audition at the same day; Baekhyun first and Jongdae right after him. When they had arrived they were informed that there was only one spot left, therefore the boys had to compete against each other. However they both had blown the teachers away and the board decided to change the rules this time and accept both of them. Jongdae had been stuck with Baekhyun from that day onwards; always in the same class, same projects and they often were asked to sing duets. However, being both interested in that headline slot, they were willing to play nasty.

 

When they weren’t spending time sabotaging their every move when it came to their future careers the boys got along quite well. Baekhyun was lively, funny and super extroverted and Jongdae was his partner in crime. They were extremely popular due to their talents but also because they were nice to everyone and willing to help those in need. But mostly they were popular because when there weren’t too busy competing with each other they would prank the teachers. None of the pranks caused too much harm, and they always went off with a firm scolding by the principle. It almost seemed as if their talents saved them every time, because which principle would expel his top students? That’s right, no one would.

 

Although their friendship seemed to be superficial at best because neither of them could ever let go of the will to be better than the other. Jongdae disliked Baekhyun for seemingly being the teacher’s favorite and Baekhyun disliked Jongdae for being more vocally skilled than he was. The younger of the two would be able to sing notes he had trouble with effortlessly, and he made everything seem so much simpler than they are.

 

So, when there was a showcase scheduled all students would avoid the pair. No one wanted to be around them and get in the way of their ridiculous and childish antics. The whole school could feel the atmosphere shift when they would be in the presence of any of them. The tension was thick and felt almost electric, which got worse when the showcase came closer.

 

One day Baekhyun came into class wrapped in a scarf and sniffling. His eyes were rimmed with a shade of red and so was his nose. Junmyeon went up to his friend and asked what was wrong? The boy had seemed to be fine yesterday and Baekhyun always dressed weather appropriately, worried to fall ill.

 

“Jongdae happened” The younger answered with annoyance in his voice. He plopped on his seat and let his head fall onto his desk.

 

“What do you mean Jongdae happened? What did he do now?” Junmyeon inquired further, trying to get a grip on the situation.

 

“The opened a window while I was in the shower and left the room” he started “so by the time I was done and came out of the bathroom the room had dropped in temperature”. Junmyeon gasped.

 

“That’s a seriously low thing to do to a fellow vocalist” he exclaimed. He knew that the boys would pull pranks like this, trying to sabotage the other, but this was against the code between vocalist. One shall never mess with another singer’s voice.

 

“Don’t worry Jun. I also have a piano performance prepared in case my voice would give out”. Baekhyun was too nonchalant about this, Junmyeon thought. The door to the classroom opened and Jongdae walked in with a big smirk.

 

“Yo Baek how’s your cold coming?” Jongdae teasingly said.

 

“I think you’re scum” the elder countered.

 

“You know you love me” the other sing-songed.

 

“Dream on!”

 

Junmyeon rolled his eyes at the two. They were always like this. Fighting like elementary school children. Why couldn’t they just always be friends? It must be very exhausting to put so much effort and energy into making each other miserable only because they wanted to be the best.

 

“If both of you invested the same amount of time in trying to improve your skills rather than sabotaging each other the world would be a better place” Junmyeon exclaimed.

 

“What’s the fun in that?” Baekhyun and Jongdae said at the same time. Their head would shoot up immediately and start a glaring war.

 

Junmyeon sighed and went to sit with his other friends, Taeil and Johnny, who looked just as disapprovingly towards the two frenemies.

 

“Will they ever let this stuff go?” Taeil asked.

 

“I think the teacher should just make a combined headliner for this particular event. This much competition isn’t healthy for either of them” Johnny added.

 

“I am afraid Mr Choi would never go for that. At least they aren’t bored right?” Taeil chuckled. The other two laughed as well.

 

“And who knows maybe they will get distracted enough so one of us will win that slot” Junmyeon said. Taeil gave him a playful slap on the shoulder, still laughing. All of them knew that it would be between Baekhyun and Jongdae. They had perfect attendance, perfect grades and better technique than any of them.

 

“Dream on Jun” Baekhyun intervened. He knew that his friends thought that they were being stupid, but to be frank, he didn’t care. His career was super important to him. It was his dream to be a singer and to perform. He wanted to be the headliner because it was so important for him to be signed by an agency or record label.

 

It was no secret that the student who would be headlining the show would be signed to a prestigious agency. Sungmin was signed to SM Entertainment, Jae was signed to JYP and Roy Kim was a successful solo artist who had already put out 3 albums. Baekhyun wanted to step into the shoes of his seniors and walk the same kind of path. So this showcase was the most important moment of his life, and yes he might have taken things a little too far with Jongdae but he doesn’t want to do anything else with his life. There is no other way, no other career choice.

 

Junmyeon would always be able to be a teacher due to his minor. Taeil had the opportunity to take over his mother’s bakery and Johnny could go back to America and work on his music there with his brother who ran a record company. Baekhyun wasn’t as lucky to have those options. He did feel stupid to not choose a minor, but there wasn’t anything that appealed to him. He wasn’t a great dancer, he had no interest in teaching and neither would he want to produce songs. That’s why he worked hard to put himself out there and showcase his talents. That’s why he always prepared everything to the smallest detail. Some people called it an obsession and it hurt Baekhyun sometimes. However he knew that being determined, passionate and hard working were great strengths of his, so he took pride in them. He was going to be the headliner no matter what.

 

*****

 

Mr Choi would announce which student would headline the showcase at the last rehearsal. After the announcement the student who is elected had one more opportunity to change his or her performance according to the notes of the principle and was given one last rehearsal before the big show. So it was crucial that Baekhyun and Jongdae would ace their performance.

 

Baekhyun had prepared a song called My turn to cry, which is a sensitive ballad where he would also accompany himself on the piano. To match the black piano he had opted to wear a black suit with a light grey jacket and a pink rose in his pocket. He wanted to look smart, graceful and poised. It was a sing that he had written himself. He felt confident that the principle and the rest of his teacher would like it.

 

Jongdae had prepared a rock song, in which he could showcase his incredible technique and high notes that were always praised by his teachers. His friend Minseok had picked a minor in light, sound and stage design and he asked him to help make a plan for the lights. The had spent many afternoons and evenings playing around with different colors, lights and its positions to create a detailed plan. He trusted Minseok with this and he was relieved to hear that the elder would be able to assist him during his performance. It was safer than handing the plan over to someone he didn’t know, and who could be bribed by Baekhyun.

 

However what Jongdae didn’t know was that the plans had to be pre scheduled due to the newest technologies and that it was easy for someone to make quick changes. So, Baekhyun managed to change the white and blue lights to entirely pink, and had them move all over the place. He knew that Jongdae would be startled and therefore most likely mess up his performance.

 

What he didn’t know was that Jongdae saw him. He had been keeping a sharp eye on the elder.

 

“Interested in lighting Byun?” Baekhyun was startled and nearly fell over.

 

“Or are you trying to sabotage my performance?” Jongdae inquired, a small smirk playing on his face. He always liked to catch his friend.

 

“I was just checking up on everything for my performance Dae. You know how much of a perfectionist I am” his friend countered. Baekhyun wasn’t going to give in this easily.

 

“Oh I know, but I also know how ruthless you can be when it comes to winning” Jongdae said, stepping closer to Baekhyun. They were now only a few centimeters apart.

 

“As if you aren’t just as competitive” Baekhyun countered. The tension hung heavy in the air and both of them weren’t going to back down.

 

“So you were trying to sabotage me” the younger said, crossing his arms in front of his body.

 

“I never said that, and I never will if I did” Baekhyun cleverly answered. “Really Dae, you shouldn’t be so paranoid. I am sure you will do great” he continued. He moved his hand onto Jongdae’s shoulder and gave it a slight squeeze. He then held out his hand.

 

“May the best man win?” Baekhyun asked and Jongdae took his hand to shake it.

 

“Yes, may the best man win”

 

An hour later it was Baekhyun’s turn to perform. He walked on stage and sat down on the stool in front of the piano. He tried to calm his nerves and then he let his fingers glide over the keys as if they had no other purpose. His slender, delicate fingers pressed onto the white keys producing the most lovely sounds. Then his voice joined in, wrapping itself around the sounds coming out of the piano, He sang the words carefully, with warmth and emotion. The crowd was speechless and the students couldn’t take their eyes of this passionate performer. He enchanted everyone and when he heard the thunderous applause of his fellow students and his teachers he knew that he succeeded, but not before Jongdae had his turn.

 

The younger knew that it was a hard task for him to top this. If he was honest he loved Baekhyun’s performance, and he would be proud to lose to such an amazing performer. However it wasn’t done yet. He hyped himself up and stepped on stage. He was wearing black ripped jeans, a black rolling stones tank top and wore black low converse. The music started and Jongdae was ready to belt out his notes, but as expected Baekhyun has messed with the lighting so everything turned out to be pink. The lights were also all over the place creating a chaos. The only thing Jongdae could do was adapt, so he would bounce around on the stage, turning his energy into something positive. ‘If it is good enough for Chris Martin, then it is good enough for me’ he thought to himself. He delivered the song well, managed to stay on key despite all the movements he made and aced his high note. He could tell that his teachers had a tough decision to make.

 

When Jongdae got off stage Baekhyun was waiting for him.

 

“So you did try to sabotage me” he said. Why beat around the bush right?

 

“I am afraid I did, and I am sorry, but I’d like to congratulate you. I think you did really well and it would be an honor to lose to such an incredible vocalist” Baekhyun confessed. Jongdae chuckled because these were the exact same thoughts he had after Baekhyun’s performance.

“What are you laughing at?” his friend asked.

 

“Those were my thoughts exactly when you were done with your performance” Jongdae answered, a big smile on his face. Baekhyun now laughed as well.

 

“I am still not your fan though” he said, trying to maintain some of his pride.

 

“Same here Byun, same here” the younger countered.

 

“All students gather around on stage” Mr Choi’s voice echoed through the venue.

 

“This is it. Good luck Jongdae” Baekhyun smiled.

 

“Good luck Baekhyun”  and both of them stepped onto the stage awaiting which one of them would be chosen.

 

*****

 

The university’s performance hall was packed with people, eagerly awaiting the last performance of the evening. Not only students, and scouts but also proud parents were occupying the seats watching their children shine on stage. The show has been a great success so far, and the atmosphere was relaxed and happy.

 

The light dimmed and a young man was making his way onto the stage. He was a magnificent young man to behold. He was wearing a stunning black suit, with a white shirt and a pink bow tie. His brown locks were styled neatly in an up do and it showed of his handsome features. He took a moment to face the crowd and bowed politely. His eyes searched for someone in the front row and offered him a cheeky wink before he took his seat at a beautiful white piano.

 

A simple white spot was directed on him and he started playing; slender, delicate fingers moving over the piano keys. He touched every single one carefully and with grace, allowing all his emotions to spill out of his fingertips. He had created a masterpiece, a song so beautiful that it touched the heart of every man and woman in the venue. When his voice joined in the screen next to him played home videos of all the students that participated in this showcase. It showed their hardships, the memories they made together and all the effort they put in to achieve their goals. It showed Junmyeon hunched over a piece of paper jotting down lyrics. Taeil recording a song. Johnny practicing his choreography and Jongdae performing his rock song at the rehearsal. Once the song was nearing the end the screen showed a picture taken earlier that afternoon, of every student, smiling happily with arms around each other. This was the last time they would see each other. After tonight they would have graduated and prepare for adult life, and go out into the world chasing their dreams even further.

 

Baekhyun felt himself grow emotional when he glanced at the small picture frame that he had put onto the piano. It was the one they took together, and his emotions could be heard in his voice. He was regretful that this amazing experience was going to end. He thought of how much he would miss his friend and teachers but also of how safe he felt when making music within the halls of his university. He made wonderful memories with these people, and now it is…

 

“My turn to cry” Baekhyun ended softly, almost like a whisper.

 

The crowd was silent besides a few sniffles that could be heard. When Baekhyun looked into the audience and he saw one person standing up and starting to applaud. It was Jongdae. He wore the biggest smile on his face, a bouquet of pink roses tucked underneath his arm, clapping proudly. When he looked more closely he saw that the man had been crying, and it was the last push he needed to fall prey to his emotions as well. He smiled brightly once other people would join in and soon he received a standing ovation. However, his eyes only sought for Jongdae’s and he realised that he had everything he could ever want all along; an amazingly supportive boyfriend.