The Telepath

Hunt

"I wouldn't bet on that." A loud voice booms through the room as the door to their apartment is broken down. Light floods into the room, blinding them momentarily.

Sungjin instinctively pushes Dowoon behind him as he shields his eyes.

"Hyung, what are we going to do?"

"I would've been more useful if I could teleport." Wonpil grits his teeth.

Now's not the time Wonpil. What do you see? 

Hyung nothing.

Then this is still in our hands. Dowoon, you know what to do. Wonpil, cover your ears. We run outside as soon as Dowoon screams. Keep running no matter what happens. Understood? On the count of 3.

On three, Dowoon gives his loudest scream and they make for the door, ignoring the debris of glass flying around.

The five men who had barged into the house have fallen to the ground, their hands over their ears in agony.

Just as Sungjin steps out the door a hand grabs his ankle and he stumbles.

"Hyung!" Dowoon shouts reaching out for his brother, as Wonpil grabs a hold of him, keeping him from running back to Sungjin.

Sungjin kicks wildly at his captor, until he realizes it's becoming futile.

There's only one way.

"Your son! I know he's sick but you don't have to choose this life. Please, let me go. Please," Sungjin pleads.

"Stupid boy." The man growls, as he brings out a syringe. "You can't even differentiate real memories from fake ones."

Sungjin knows it's a bluff. He's already had a lot of practice sorting out real and made up memories from raising Dowoon. Fake memories are too shallow, that's why he always digs deep. Knowing his words affected the man somehow, he uses that advantage, to bind the man with his mind.

He had only ever used it on tiny animals when he was still a child, his binding powers. Once, he nearly strangled a bird to death and he has never used it since. Right now he couldn't care any less if the man ended up dead, what was important was that he still had his ability.

Luck is on his side, his powers don't fail him. Sungjin kicks the immobilized man aside and gets back on his feet, running to his friends. 

The younger boys' eyes light up with hope as they watch their leader escape, but it's only short-lived. Sungjin is only able to take a few steps when one of the mercenaries who has recovered, gets behind him with a tranquilizer gun. 

"Hyung, behind you!" Wonpil warns, but it's too late. Sungjin falls forward as he feels the effects of the sedative almost instantly. Using the very last of his strength to stay awake, he looks up at Dowoon and Wonpil, pleading for them to run away.