Chapter 1

Help Me Sleep

A/N: hey guys! So this is basically the first fanfiction I've written, I may have got some facts wrong about insomnia and other topics included but by no means have I intended to upset anyone! I hope you enjoy :) 

 

 

Heejun wakes up in his room after a long, almost sleepless night. He managed to fall asleep just after 5am but unfortunately the group had to start practicing for their next comeback at 7am that morning. He sleepily rubs his eyes, knowing full well that his dark circles would be prominent that day. He falls out of bed and silently makes his way to the bathroom, being careful not to wake up his roommate, Inseong.

 

Heejun loved s and career very much - performing, making people smile, helping to produce songs - he loved every moment. But behind closed doors when it was late at night, thoughts and worries constantly popped up in his mind, refusing to leave. He never told anyone about his insomnia because he simply didn't want others to worry about him. However, recently, with KNK's nearing comeback and the stresses of practising non-stop, he fears that people (especially s) will start to notice his lack of sleep and finally figure out what's wrong with him. For the time being, he decides not to open up about his psychological stress and physical exhaustion, all that he can focus on is the comeback, and that's all he wants the other members to focus on too. 

 

After showering, Heejun makes himself a bowl of cereal and sits down to watch the morning news. Too engrossed in the pictures and flashing words flying across the screen, he doesn't notice someone else's body weighing down the sofa and a pair of eyes staring at him.

 

'Good morning' Jihun exclaims, hoping his friend would pay attention to him and reply to his greeting. However, Heejun just continued to stare at the television screen, unfocused and almost lost in his own world. Jihun decides to touch his friends arm and make him aware of his presence, so he leans over and slightly taps the latter's forearm. Heejun snaps out of his daydream and turns to see staring worriedly at him.

 

, he thinks, and secretly hopes Jihun doesn't notice anything wrong with him. Forcing a smile out, he greets the older member and starts to clean up his breakfast, taking his empty bowl into the kitchen and quickly placing it away. 

 

Jihun walks in to see the smaller putting his bowl in the dishwasher, stumbling around and muttering to himself. He can't bear seeing him like this - his best friend, not even being able to give him a proper smile. Something is very wrong and he was determined to find out what.

 

'Heejun stop' he says as his friend starts to walk out of the kitchen - 'tell me what's wrong. You've been acting strangely for weeks now, constantly muttering to yourself and losing concentration in dance practice. You look awful and I can't deal with this anymore. Have you been sleeping?'

 

The boy in question turns around, finally listening to what Jihun has to say, 'It's none of your business whether I'm sleeping or not. We just need to focus on this comeback, that's all that matters right now.' He walks away hurriedly and heads straight for the dance studio. 

 

'A few more weeks', he thinks to himself, 'only a few more weeks and then I can get help.' 

 

By the time 6:45 had arrived, the members had all entered the dance studio and began warming up, chatting to each other wholeheartedly about future plans and movie nights whilst stretching and shaking their limbs.

 

'I think we should have a movie night on Saturday' the eldest, Youjin, exclaims. 'We're finally off for a whole weekend, so we can afford to stay up late as we have the Sunday to rest!'

 

The majority of the members agreed instantly, already planning what snacks to buy and how many movies they can cram into one evening. Heejun however, stayed silent and watched as the other members turned to him gleefully:

 

'Well, what do you think?!' Seungjun asks expectantly.

 

'Um, that sounds great guys!' He replies. 

 

Well, he thinks, he won't be sleeping anyway so no harm done at all. 

 

 

After a long week, Heejun is finally relieved the weekend has arrived at last. Jihun stopped bugging him about his sleep schedule after that morning and the other members didn't seem to notice his lack of enthusiasm or energy. He feels proud but also guilty that he is doing such a good job of hiding up his sleep disorder. In total, he had only slept about 16 hours that week, and so he found it surprising that he was still able to function properly and complete his dance practices without fainting or needing to leave. 

 

On the Saturday, they lounge around for most of the day and Heejun manages to nap for about 2 hours. Feeling thoroughly pleased with himself and averagely well rested, he looks forward to that evening as he will be spending it with his favourite people, especially Jihun.

 

Heejun has always thought of Jihun as not just a friend, but as something more. He has never admitted to himself that he finds the other attractive although there was no denying it: he was unexplainably beautiful. That wasn't why he thought of Jihun as someone more than just a friend. He loved all of s, they were practically his best friends! They looked out for one another, and when one of them was upset, they all tried their hardest to cheer the other up. But with Heejun, he never wanted to cause his friends to worry about him, and so whenever he was feeling upset or stressed, he never told anyone. Somehow though, Jihun could always tell when he's down, and find a way of making him feel safe and happy without having to explain anything to him. 

 

At 8pm, the members gathered together in the biggest bedroom in their shared apartment: Seungjun's, Youjin's and Jihun's room. Each person had individually brought enough snacks, alcohol and blankets to last them weeks. 

 

After pushing the beds together and arranging the sheets, the group snuggle up with each other, making sure their favourite snacks are within grabbing distance. Jihun plonks himself in between Seungjun and Heejun, goofily smiling up at the latter and being secretly relieved at the fact that his friend looks more well rested than at the beginning of the week. After they had all settled down, the members expectantly look up at Youjin who had the job of setting up the movie. He then holds up the selection of films he had brought and waits to see the others reactions and opinions of what they should watch first. 

 

''Hyung' is the best movie!! We need to watch that' Inseong squeals, pointing to the case in Youjin's left hand.

 

'I heard it has Exo's Kyungsoo in it!! He is an amazing actor, we need to watch it' Seungjun states, sitting up to join the loudness that is Inseong's voice.

 

The other members agreed and Youjin puts on the movie, turning off the lights and joining the others. Halfway through the movie, the majority of the group were crying but thoroughly loving the relationship between the two brothers and the plot that never ceases to amaze viewers. By that time, Jihun had wrapped his arms around Heejun and the latter was pulled into a tight embrace, with his back against the older's chest. 

 

'Their kind of love/hate relationship reminds me of you two' Youjin points out, looking at his two best friends cuddling with each other, 'one minute you're arguing about god knows what, and the next you're looking like you want to kiss each other' 

 

'Don't you think that's a bit weird comparing them to brothers then?' Inseong says, laughing at the silliness of the conversation.

 

'Well, personally, I think me and Inseong are the cutest couple in this group' Seungjun states, holding his hand out and waiting expectantly for his friend to accept it. Inseong blushes slightly and allows Seungjun to hold his hand.

 

'What am I then? The fifth wheel I suppose' Youjin dramatically sighs, rolling away from the members and faking tears (which were not needed as he had been crying a minute earlier due to the emotional film)

 

'What are you all on about? Let's watch this film and get drunk okay??' Heejun says after finally tuning into the conversation and figuring out what they're talking about. 

 

The members silently agree, and Jihun laughs slightly and mutters into the other's ear, 'That told them Oh'

 

Heejun laughs at his friend's use of his surname, and replies 'They wouldn't keep quiet but thanks for the support Kim'

 

Once the movie had finally finished, the light was put back on and they all sat up in bed, deciding what to do next.

 

'Shall we watch another movie, or just play games and drink?!' Seungjun asks enthusiastically.

 

'I vote the second option' Inseong calls, and the rest of the members agree.

 

The group scoot around on the beds so that they're all in a circle, with a pile of alcohol in the middle. They decide to play 'Who's most likely too', a game which involves one person thinking up a scenario and everybody pointing to the person they think would be most likely to do that certain thing.

 

'Whoever has the most points has to take a shot, okay?', asks Heejun

 

They all agree and Jihun is the first person to think of a scenario: 'Who's most likely to get arrested?'

 

They all laugh and point to Seungjun, apart from himself who points to Heejun.

 

'What?? Why me...I'm innocent' he cries, pointing and glaring at Inseong who was preparing his shot

 

'It's obvious. You'd get roped into doing a drug deal or robbery and would be too scared to say no' Jihun says through his laughter.

 

One by one, all the members had taken shots and were still slurring out scenarios just for the fun of it. By this time, the things they were saying had become quite inappropriate but they were enjoying it nevertheless.

 

'MY TURN' Jihun shouts 'Who here is most likely to fall in love with me?!!' 

 

Every single member points to the most obvious person: Heejun. He furiously blushes and smacks Jihun's arm, even though he had voted for himself too. I mean, who wouldn't fall in love with Jihun? He's talented, caring, a bit annoying (but who isn't), funny and stunning. But, of course, he wasn't into guys. 

Jihun pulls him into a back hug and nuzzles his head into the other's neck

'Don't worry' he smiled into the hug 'I would fall in love with me too'

Heejun pushes him away in mock anger, and takes his shot. The rest of the amused members watch the scene and look at each other as if they were thinking the same thing:

 

They love each other.