An Unexpected E-mail

My Best Friend is a Superstar!

Buzz! Buzz! “Ughh!” I woke up to the sound of my cellphone buzzing and picked it up to look at the time. It was barely 8:30 am on a Saturday morning and already I have an incoming call from my little brother.  “What do you want?” I answered groggily, a bit annoyed by the fact that I couldn’t sleep in like I had intended.

“Yo Nee-chan!” You’re still sleeping? Kaachan asked if you are coming home today so she could make your favorite shiitake pork ramen.”

“You call me this early in the morning just to ask me that? Why can’t you just wait till noon,” I complained. “Tell her no I’m not I have a midterm to study for this weekend with So Min.”

“Alright then. I’ll see you later! Ja ne~!” Click!

“Ehh??  Wait what? Hello? Ughhh!” I rolled out of bed unwillingly and dragged myself to the restroom. My obnoxious 17-year-old little brother is such a morning person I hated him for that. Ever since he got his license he’s been out and about so much it made my poor mother worried. Seems like he’ll be coming to my apartment today to drop off Okasan’s homemade food like he’s always been doing.  He also gets along well with So Min because they have one thing in common, idolizing Asian celebrities. It’s like a mini book club when they’re together, except that they’ll be talking about their favorite Asian idols like a bunch of giggly hormone raging teenagers. As obnoxious as he may seems, I love him to death.

After I finished washing up, I headed out to the kitchen to make some breakfast but saw that So Min was already up and cooking.  “Morning hunny! I made you breakfast.” she beamed. 

I admired So Min for being a great cook. She can make practically anything and even invented some of her own dishes. I’ve been living with So Min since our freshman year of college. Unlike So Min, whose parents live in the Bay Area up north, mine live just 20 minutes away from our apartment. Even so, it feels great being independent and away from my parents. It also beats being bothered by my brother and having my privacy invaded all the time.

“You’re early. Smells good though.” I complimented. “Oh and Yuma is coming today to drop off some food. Please don’t spend so much time with him yea? We have a midterm to study for don’t forget.”

“Alright alright I got it momma. “ She handed me a plate of delicious looking French toast, eggs and bacon with a glass of orange juice.

“Thanks.” And we gobbled our food before cramming our heads with biology.

 

At noon Yuma showed up with a bag of homemade food and some goodies.  His hair looked slightly different than usual, with a tinge of brown and orange highlights, but it’s still long and side swept styled with large amounts of Gatsby wax as always.

“What did you do to your hair?” I asked in dismay.

“Oh I had it trimmed and highlighted. You like?” He grinned.

I shook my head in disbelief. I could tell he must’ve spent at least an hour on getting himself ready every time he goes out. There was a time when we were in the same high school, and girls would come up to me every time during lunch just to ask me for his number. He was quite popular back then as he is now, and I was often told that he looked like an Asian idol.  He would usually brag to people how he used to know Yamapi and two of the band members of St. Cloud, but I had warned him not to because it would create problems. Besides, who would believe us anyway seeing how I haven’t talked to them in years, and thank God Yuma understands. My mom remarried when I was a baby and had Yuma, so we are only half siblings. But sometimes I questioned why it is so unfair that he gets all the good looks from Okasan and I get all the bad qualities from the real dad I never met.

“Yuma-kun! You’re going to St. Cloud’s concert with us right?” So Min asked as soon as she saw him. 

“ yea!” He proclaimed.

“Watch your mouth!” I yelled back, still hating on the fact that he cusses more than an average teenager.

“Nee-chan, please don’t act like you’re so innocent. Kaachan is not here anyway.” He rolled his eyes.

“Yuma-kun look, I gotta show you something.” They shifted their attention to So Min’s laptop and once again went off to la la land.

Sigh. Knowing them, they will probably take a whole day to discuss about their celebrities. I my laptop and noticed I have an incoming e-mail. Must be junk mails again, I thought to myself.

Clicking on the link, my jaw nearly dropped out of its sockets at the sight of the sender’s name.

From                                       Subject                                                             Date
Jaejoong Kim                        Keiko chan~! Hisashiburi~!!!                   Friday, 11:45pm

Ehh?! What kind of sick joke is this? Who, wait is this really…Jejung kun? My heart beats in excitement as I click on the link to read. How could this be? They have stopped sending me emails 5 years ago. I really thought they had forgotten me, but this was too sudden. It read:

 

Keiko-chan,

Genki desu ka? It’s been a while since we last spoke and I really miss you. Hyun Joong said he misses you too and wants to see you badly. We are very sorry we have not e-mailed you in a while because we are busy with our debut and band. Our manager forbids us from using my old e-mail and even our daily activities were limited. I didn’t think it would be so tough once we become famous. -___- Even though, we are still the same boys so don’t be mad please? ^^;I hope you are doing fine. We are flying to California next week to prepare for our US tour so we hope to see you then! Please give me your number so I can contact you once we are there. I wish Yamapi was here with us. Have you talked to him? Last time I did was 2 years ago but it seems he is doing fine from all the recent news. Anyway, see you soon!

Jejung

 

Next….next week?! Whaaaat?!