My patient

Short Changki stories
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Hi! I'm sorry I took so long to update!

I was busy and I had no inspiration so I apologize hihi

I hope you like this ^^

 

 

When Kihyun first heard the word anorexia, he was just a little kid. He didn’t understand what it was when the doctor diagnosed his mother. He went with her to the hospital that day because his father forced her. Kihyun didn’t like it because she seemed sad but, later, he understood his father saved her life. She had to do a long treatment after that day and her son took care of her when he grew up a little. She went from being extremely skinny to healthy in a few years and Kihyun helped her eat properly by cooking her food. She had up and downs over the year but she was fine. Seeing her doing well in her life was something that made Kihyun happy and he decided to become psychiatrist after all those years of watching people with eating disorders.

At the age of 25, he started his residence at a hospital near his university where he worked in group therapy with people who had different eating disorders. He also helped around the hospital, making sure they ate well and took their medicine. There were a lot of patients there, mostly women. Kihyun knew almost all of them - even if his memory wasn’t that good and he forgot the names sometimes - and some of them were worse than the others.

Kihyun saw some girls in a critical condition and it was horrible to see them suffering that much. Their stomachs were so small they couldn’t eat more than two spoons of food and the hospital had to keep them there like they did with her mother. Kihyun felt terrible every time he had to see those shocking scenarios and, even if he was used to it already, he couldn’t help to feel sad every night after work. It was the ugly part of his job but seeing their happy faces when they looked healthy after the treatment was priceless. Kihyun loved helping and he couldn’t picture himself doing something different.

After a year of working at the hospital, a male patient came in. Kihyun was called immediately and had to help the nurses calm him down because he didn’t want to stay. Apparently, his parents took him there and Kihyun wondered why didn’t they do it before. The teenager was extremely thin; his bones were visible and he had no strength to fight. He unsuccessfully tried to get rid of the nurses while his mother kept on repeating everything was for his own good. When the boy saw Kihyun, he stopped moving and his parents turned around to greet him. “Thank you, doctor!” the woman said. “We don’t know what to do anymore” she added and Kihyun nodded with a toothless smile, walking closer to the bed where the patient was.

“Can you let me talk to him for a few minutes?” he turned around, directing his question to the nurses and the male’s parents. They all nodded and left the room, closing the door behind their backs. “Hi, I’m Yoo Kihyun and I’ll be your psychiatrist from now on” he introduced himself and saw the teenager crossing his arms over his chest while he avoided eye contact. “What’s your name?” he asked, even if he had the boy’s name written in his folder. Of course the other didn’t answer, he just growled in annoyance and Kihyun chuckled at his childlike whims. “I know you don’t like this” he started, trying to have a conversation with him to help him relax a little. “And I understand what you are going through” he went on and saw a tear going down the younger’s right cheek. “But it’s very important that you cooperate with me so you can get better faster, okay?” he gently spoke and the boy finally stared back at him, drying the tears that fell from his eyes.

“Okay” the younger had a deep voice and Kihyun thought it didn’t match with a 17 year old boy but it was the most beautiful voice he ever heard. “Im Changkyun” the patient said after a short silence and Kihyun flashed him a tiny smile. “C-can you” he paused and started playing with the hem of his hospital shirt. “Can you tell my parents I’m okay? They think I’m skinny but my weight is fine” he protested and Kihyun thought he could ask a few questions before proceeding with the usual treatment. He needed to know what he thought about himself and what was his background.

“Changkyun, do you check on your weight regularly?” Kihyun softly started, ignoring the teenager’s previous words. Changkyun sighed and crossed his arms once more. The doctor started thinking he wouldn’t answer but he was wrong, the boy talked after a short silence.

“Yes” he dryly replied and Kihyun wrote it down on his folder.

“How often do you eat? 2 times a day, 3 times a day?” Kihyun went on, trying to get as much information as possible. He would talk with his parents after that but he wanted to have a quick interview with the patient to get his point of view.

“Actually... I hadn’t been eating this week...” Changkyun’s voice was smaller as he answered because he was scared Kihyun would scold him for something like that. “I... I heard about this diet” he continued and the doctor listened carefully. “A water-based diet” he said and Kihyun understood. It was a diet idols and models used to lose weight quickly for their comebacks or shows. “It helps you eliminate toxins” he hesitantly spoke as the psychiatrist took notes.

“I see” Kihyun remained calm not to make the other feel nervous. “Didn’t you faint this week?” he asked and decided he would call Dr. Chae to check on his physical condition. He could have several problems and they needed to make sure they treated them all.

“Mm... yeah...” it seemed as if Changkyun was realizing his diet wasn’t such a good idea. “But I ate two times a day before!” he assured, hoping the elder would approve.

“I see” Kihyun repeated, flashing him a toothless smile to make him relax. “Do you have fun at school?” he started with different questions to see if his classmates were good to him. Most of the times those patients had several problems at home and he needed to find out about his school life too.

“Yes, I love studying but my teachers are always annoying me with my weight” he whined. “I’m really fine!” he protested and Kihyun wrote some more. “I’m sorry about that... I’m just tired of hearing those comments” he apologized for his sudden outburst.

“It’s okay” Kihyun stared back at Changkyun with soft eyes. “How about your friends? Do you have fun with them?” the younger nodded and the psychiatrist waited for him to say something.

“I have a group of friends” Changkyun replied shortly. “Oh! One of them is Yook Sungjae, you must know him” he added when he remembered his friend was one of Korea’s young models.

“Yes, I know him” Kihyun wondered if Sungjae was the one who told Changkyun about that absurd diet. “Did he tell you about that diet?” he asked because he needed to figure out some things about his behavior.

“No, he eats a lot” Changkyun brushed his chin with his index finger. “All my friends eat a lot I guess... but they look good” there it was, the younger didn’t think he looked good. “I have fat cheeks and I look really bad when I eat a lot, that’s why I started eating less because I think I’m good this way” Kihyun wrote down his words and nodded.

“When did you start eating less?” the psychiatrist thought maybe he would get somewhere with those questions before Chae Hyungwon appeared.

“Mm... I never ate that much but I think I started dieting two years ago” Changkyun was feeling more comfortable each second and Kihyun was glad he was relaxing. It was awful to see the patients struggling while he asked those simple questions.

“How much weight did you lose?” Kihyun asked, even if Hyungwon would surely make that same question in a few minutes.

“I think 15 kilograms in two years, it isn’t that much” he said and the psychiatrist nodded. “I weighed 62 kilograms when I was 15” he explained and Kihyun wrote that down too.

“Okay-” the psychiatrist was about to ask more but Dr.Chae entered the room with the boy’s parents and he knew he wouldn’t be able to. Changkyun automatically looked away and Hyungwon walked closer to the bed, slowly trying to grab the patient’s wrist to take his pulse.

“Hello there” Hyungwon greeted the younger with his awkward smile - the tall one thought it was a comforting smile but Kihyun didn’t have the same opinion -. “I’m Chae Hyungwon” he managed to get Changkyun’s arm, even if the teenager didn’t fully trust him. “I’ll be your doctor from today” he explained.

“What? Am I staying here?” Changkyun panicked and turned to look at his parents. His mother didn’t answer, she looked at Kihyun as if she was expecting for the psychiatrist to speak. “No, mom, please” he tried to stand up but Hyungwon didn’t let him. “I’m fine” he said but his parents didn’t react at all. Kihyun knew they were used to it and he understood the lack of reaction; their son needed to stay because his state was deplorable.

“Look, Changkyun” Hyungwon started and Kihyun didn’t know if it was a good idea that his colleague talked. “I know you want to leave but you are not fine, we have to do some check ups and make sure you don’t have other problems” the doctor said. “You’ll leave when you get better” Hyungwon smiled but Changkyun started crying and the doctor’s smile dropped. The latter turned around to ask for Kihyun’s help, who was already rolling his eyes.

“Hey, don’t cry” Kihyun patted his thigh. “We’ll make sure you get well soon and we’ll ask for permission from your school so you can just go and take the exams” the psychiatrist tried to calm him down a bit. “Don’t worry, everything will be fine” he flashed him a comforting smile and the teenager sniffed a few times before drying hi

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter