~ 1 ~

Guardian of His Moon
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The whole forest was quiet.

No, not just simply quiet. Complete silence fell upon it, bringing the feeling of something insecure, something unknown.

It was strange, as this happened so rarely that I couldn't tell when I last experienced it, even if I tried hard. It sent chills down my spine, not knowing what was about to happen. I tried to ignore it as much as I could, but the fact that all the others had disappeared didn't help any.

The uncertainity started to grow inside me as I walked past the trees and glades. Usually, the night view of the forest gave me a calming and relaxing feeling; now it was the complete opposite. The trees were dark, their branches hanging on them like arms, ready to grab and pull you into the darkness. The moon's light shined on the spiders' nets, and because of it the yarns looked like triggers to traps.

Occasionally some animals, like hedgedogs or some birds shook the branches or leaves on the ground, but other than that, nothing could be heard. The whole forest looked like it was waiting for something. Something like you making a wrong move and give the opportunity for anything to catch you.

But obviously, none of this was the real truth. I soon found out the reason for why the forest suddenly fell into silence.

And it came in the form of two strangers, a man and a woman. The woman had long and blonde, the man had short and black hair. Holding hands, they were walking calmly on the path, throdden by the other strangers from before. The sound of every steps of theirs hurt my ears, after listening to the silence, and seemingly they had no plans on making it any quiteter.

I was hiding in the bushes, which was quite hard since I'm not small. However, I tried my best to stay invisible, at least for a few more minutes. I do not tolerate strangers on our area, especially at night.

Staying in the dark, I started following them silently. At some point the woman started speaking something at different pitches that I didn't understand. Neither what she said, nor why it had to be on different pitches. But as she continued on with it, I started to like it. It somehow gave me a calming feeling, something, that said I don't have to stay aware, there won't be any complications.

But of course, I couldn't be sure about it, so I decided to keep an eye on them.

Minutes went by without anything strange or suspicious happening, and I was slowly making sure that there was no need to be cautious about the two strangers, they meant no harm; but then, the sounds disappeared. Both their steps and the woman's voice stopped, but I still heard their breathing. They didn't even know that I was watching them so closely.

Suddenly, the woman let go of the man's hand and started running while yelling something. I followed her sight, but stayed on my spot, as the man didn't follow her right away, just answered her something, and then walked after her.

As I was hesitating about if it's better to stay with the man or follow the woman, I noticed it; a pair of luminous eyes twinkling on the other side of the path, hidden in the dark. It wasn't watching me, but the female that was still running, and before I had the chance to warn him, a loud and dangerous growl filled the place, followed by the owner of the eyes lashing out of its hiding spot.

It all happened within seconds, as the red wolf threw itself at the woman, preventing her from fleeing away. Her high pitched scream hurt my ears, and so did the following sounds of fight. Utter shock was written upon the man's face, before he found his strength to run to step in before the wolf killed his companion. I saw that he was afraid, but not from the wolf; he was afraid that he would lose the woman. He probably held her dear, and it gave him enough determination to do anything to save her.

It excited my curiousity, he was brave and didn't try to escape the place. It wasn't ordinary that people tried to save each other, in fact, it was more often that they fled and got caught by me afterwards. Fear is something that triggers me, and if they run for their lives without looking back (and helping each other) then I'd jump in.

Now, the power relations were obviously not fortunate, and the man would get himself killed if he tried to do anything there. Hence I stepped out of my observing spot before he could get any closer, and cut his way. He was interesting, I di

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter