Long oneshot

Trees need water to grow
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Jaemin was born when the sky was clear. When the air was fresh. His mum says there was animals watching as he was being born. Being completely quiet for the first time in years. Jaemin wasn't sure if he believed her. The animals always liked him. Playing with him, but scaring the other kids. He just wasn't sure they would be quiet as he was born though.

Today was just like his birth. Sky clear and air fresh, but warmer. It was July after all, not august. Jaemin was happy. Running around with his best friend. A tiny red fox. Jaemin hadn't really given him a name. It was the fox that told him. The first time he had met him. He had told him his name was Yuta. Since that day Jaemin called him just that. Yuta. It fit him.

When Jaemin got the letter, he had to go to a school with all the children. Not just forest children he groaned. He hated kids that weren't forest children. They were always so weird, and they got scared by Yuta. He tried everything to make his mum go to another school, but she didn't listen. He even fake cried. Shoulders slumped and face scrunched up. Still she said no.

He went out and ran around with Yuta after that. Talking to the birds and the mosquitos. Getting the same reactions back. He met a squirrel too. Having a little chat with it as Yuta ran around in the long green grass.

After hours of running he could feel his skin prickling. The feeling of the sun kissing his skin. He smiled as he checked his tan lines. It wasn't much, but he loved it anyway. He loved everything about himself. His messy hair, his big smile, his thin legs. Everything.

It was from his mum he got the self-love from. His mum had told him from the day he was born that he was different. He was the first in years that could talk to animals without learning it. Normally people, even forest children, had to learn it for years, and here he comes speaking to animals faster than he spoke to humans. They were better anyway. Humans always said weird things, while animals said things that made sense. They said the truth. They never lied.

He wanted to go home and sleep, but he didn't want his mum to think he gave up. No matter what happened he wouldn't go to the that horrible school. He didn't even know what it was called. He would never go there. Never ever.

Just an hour later he was tucked in in bed. Giving up on his mum. up having to meet sky children, house children, and the worst the water children. Water children never said anything, and they weren't good with animals. They even thought they were the best. Jaemin scuffed to himself as he turned around, facing the wall. He really hated water children.

The week following went by quickly. Considering how much he didn't want to go to school. When he and his mum went into town to buy school supplies he saw some water children. They were quiet. Too quiet. Only holding up a notebook and smiling at each other. Understanding each other without words.

Yuta was hanging around Jaemin's shoulders. Speaking badly about them. It made Jaemin laugh. He wished he could have Yuta with him at school, but his mum already said no. He had cried then. Hugging Yuta all night. He had never been away from Yuta for more than two hours, and now he would be away from him for a whole day.

First day of school came quickly. Suddenly, he was sitting on the bus on his way to school. He had begged his parents to be allowed to take the bus. Not because he wanted to meet new people, but he knew his only friend would be there. Jaemin had known Renjun his entire life. Renjun was even there when Jaemin was being born. He didn't remember anything though. Being only a couple of months older than him.

"Hey Jaemin. Where's Yuta?" Renjun turned around and looked on the floor. Renjun had never seen Jaemin without Yuta. He looked so , and he felt too.

"At home, or outside. Mum wouldn't let him come." Renjun looked at Jaemin with pity. Every forest child had an animal friend. Renjun had a little white bunny. Everybody had them, but nobody is as close to theirs as Jaemin. Which is understandable when they can hardly understand them.

 

 

Renjun told Jaemin about this house child he had seen. He looked just like a sky child, but he wasn’t. He hated the water, and the outside. Jaemin never really cared for people, but he wanted to be nice. Renjun was always there for him so Jaemin should be there for him too.

When the boy walked on the bus, Renjun freaked out. Telling Jaemin to look, but not to at the same time. Jaemin couldn’t see the sky look in the boy, but he could see the house look. He looked healthy and smart. Rich, but nice. Renjun kept calling him Chenle. He was definitely a house child. His name even said so. It sounded rich and comfortable.

Chenle smiled at Renjun as he walked by. Making Renjun hide his face in Jaemin’s neck. His cheeks burning hot red. Jaemin didn’t even look at the house child. House children always expected people to give them things. Always expected people to love them.

“Jaemin we have to go off now.” Jaemin felt his entire body shake as he woke up. He didn’t remember falling asleep, but he must have. His eyes felt heavy as he trailed behind Renjun. Trying to ignore all the people staring at him.

“Why are they staring? Do I have anything in my teeth?” In all honesty Jaemin didn’t care, but he wanted to be normal. For people to at least think he cared a little, but he didn’t.

“They’re staring because we are the only full forest children here.” Jaemin groaned loudly. Why did the forest children have to be rare? He wanted to go. Each year two or three full blood forest children gets born.

“We’re not that different.” Jaemin glared at the people staring at them. Hoping they would look away. Most of them did. Only one kept staring. He looked different from everybody else. His hair and gracefulness reminded Jaemin of forest children, but his light skin and quietness was more like sky children. He walked over to them after a couple of minutes of staring. Jaemin really couldn’t decide if he was a forest child or a sky child.

“Hi. I’m Mark.” Jaemin scoffed and leaned more into Renjun. Waiting for Renjun to speak for them both. Renjun was always the nice one out of them.

“Don’t worry guys. I’m a forest child too.” Again, Jaemin scoffed. He was sure the boy wasn’t just a forest child, but having some forest child blood made you family, and Jaemin cared about family.

“And? You can’t be just a forest child.” Mark looked at Jaemin. Smiling at him. Expecting the same, but he didn’t get it. Only people he liked was allowed to see his smile.

“I’m half forest half sky.” For the first time the full forest children smiled. Trusting Mark a little more. If he was tough enough to say he wasn’t full forest.

“Nice to meet you Mark. I’m Renjun, this is Jaemin.” Jaemin wasn’t sure if he liked the way Renjun pointed at him, nor the way Mark smiled at him. Mark was definitely a sky child. He was naturally nice. Smiling at everybody and not thinking about what child they are.

“Want to go to class together?” Renjun and Jaemin nodded to Mark. Renjun walked a little in the front. Letting Jaemin hold onto his backpack. Mark walked beside Jaemin talking the whole way. About how he lived in the forest for a couple of years, but moved before he could really remember. About all the friends he had made on the bus. Renjun was being nice and nodding and humming to his every word. Jaemin however didn’t even say anything.

Jaemin felt shut inside the minute they walked into their classroom. Wishing Yuta was with him. He didn’t understand how people could expect forest children to sit still in a room with so little air. He could see some sky children sitting by window staring at the sky. For the first time, he felt for them. They lived in treehouses far up into the sky. It must be weird being so close to the ground.

“Forest children sit in the back, it’s the best air there.” Their teacher yelled over all the talking students. Jaemin and Renjun immediately heading for the back. The air was much better there. It was clear and fresh. Still not as good as the night air in the forest, but it was okay.

 

“Jaemin you have to come. Please for me?” If Jaemin hadn’t grown to like Mark he would have said no, but he couldn’t say no to Mark’s face. He had puppy eyes. Jaemin couldn’t say no to that.

“Okay fine.” Jaemin knew he was going to regret saying yes once he was at the party, but right now he just wanted to pay attention to class.

 

The party was fun for the most part. Jaemin and Renjun were treated like royalties, being the only full forest children at the party. Jaemin liked when people handed him free drinks and food, but when they tried to talk to him, he would back away. He was not going to talk to any water children today.

It had been about two hours when Renjun’s huge secret crush walked into the party. Dragging with him a black haired boy. Jaemin had seen the boy before, but last time he saw him he was brown haired, but here he was. Black hair with green stripes. Jaemin liked the green, it reminded him of home. He knew what the boy was though. He was a water child.

“Hey, Jaemin, Renjun, come say hi.” As Mark called out to them Jaemin started to walk in the other direction. He didn’t get far though. Seeing Renjun look at him with pleading eyes. Muttering a fine, they started walking to Mark, Chenle and the water child.

“Hi, I’m Chenle!” If Jaemin couldn’t see Chenle only hear him he would think he grew up in the forest. His voice was loud, not that Jaemin minded that. Neither did it seem Renjun did. He looked as he was about to pass out when Chenle accidentally touched his shoulder.

“Hi.” Jaemin didn’t say his name, too busy making sure his friend doesn’t make himself embarrassed.

“No name, nice. I’m Jeno.” There you go. Water children are always the worst. Jaemin knew Jeno’s real hair was blue, but he fit black so well. He couldn’t quite imagine it.

“I’m Jaemin, and this idiot is Renjun.” It was Jaemin’s turn to point at Renjun. He made sure Renjun heard his every word, hoping he would pull himself together a little bit. It worked. He stood up straight and waved at the two new boys in front of him.

An hour later Mark was nowhere to be found, Renjun and Chenle were talking in a corner and Jaemin was stuck with Jeno. Deep down inside he could feel Jeno would be a cool friend, but he was a water child, and water children were the worst.

“Did your friend colour his hair?” Jaemin looked to Renjun’s fiery red hair. He hadn’t thought about it in a while. He was so used to it, but he did. Two months ago. Every child is born with a hair colour, forest is green or brown, Jaemin was lucky. He got brown. Water was blue, ranging from dark to light. Sky children had white, or blonde. Nobody knew why it came out blonde, but it sometimes did. House children however always had different colours. Depending on the walls of the house. Some had black, some had pink. There was only one rule for the house children. They weren’t allowed to make their colours the same as the natural hair colours.

“Yeah, he did. Two months ago.” Jeno nodded. He could already guess the answer. Only house children were ever born with red hair, and that was even rare.
“What colour was he born with? Green or brown?” Jaemin sighed. Feeling more and more homesick, and uncomfortable.

“Green, he suits it though.” He had never gotten why Renjun coloured his hair so often. He fit his natural hair better than most. Jaemin was happy with his brown hair, but sometimes he wished he was green. He would look even more like a forest child then.

“I was light blue.” An alarm went off inside of Jaemin. Jeno was being too friendly. Jaemin weren’t supposed to talk to water children. He hated them.

“Good you coloured to another colour then. Not that it looks any better.” A lie. Jaemin actually really liked Jeno’s hair colour, but he couldn’t be friendly.

“I thought green was forest childrens favourite colour.” He was right. Most forest children had green as their favourite colour. Jaemin included. It was the colour of the trees blowing in the wind. It was the colour of the grass he ran through with Yuta. Jaemin loved green. He had always loved green and he would always do.

“Yeah, you’re right.” Jaemin had lost this round. Quickly turning away and walking out of the party. Telling Renjun so on his way out, and that he could stay. Which he happily did. It was a long walk from the sky children’s home to the forest, but Jaemin didn’t care. He was thinking off all the comabacks he could say to Jeno next time they spoke. If they ever unluckily did so.

 

“Hey, Mark.” After about 20 minutes of searching for Mark, Jeno finally found him. He was pressed against a wall by a fire kid. Jeno had never seen one in real life before. He thought they were a myth, but everything fit. Red hair, tanned skin and fiery attitude, and by the way he was kissing Mark, Jeno could tell he got attitude. He didn't want to interrupt at first, but when it had been five minutes he got enough. It's a certain limit you can watch your best friend make out.

"Hey Mark." Mark jumped as Jeno spoke for the second time. The first had been quiet, but this time he yelled. Needing the boys attention. Mark's cheeks turned blood red, matching his make out friend’s hair. His friend however only looked at Jeno with annoyed eyes.

"Can I talk to you?" Jeno felt slightly uncomfortable under the fire childs eyes.

"Of course, my room?" Jeno only nodded as Mark turned and kissed the other boy goodbye. Saying they'll catch up later. Jeno had never seen the other boy before, but by the way Mark talks to him and kisses him they must've been together for a long time.

"Sorry man, I didn't know you were there." Mark touched his neck as they walked up the stairs. Jeno never got over how pretty the sky children's houses were. Their view was always so nice.

"It's fine Mark. Who is he?" Jeno wasn't hurt by Mark not telling him. He knew Mark. He would never tell him something if he wasn't sure it was necessary, and Mark had never seen relationships as necessary.

"That's Donghyuck." Jeno was expecting more, but he didn't get anything. He guessed knowing the boys name was enough. They walked in silence the rest of the way to Mark's room. It was comfortable. Jeno liked the silence. Like any other water child did. Once they sat down on Mark's white crisp bed Jeno made himself ready to talk.

"I want to get to know Jaemin." Jeno knew it was stupid. He knew forest kids normally hated water children, but he was curious. Jaemin was different than every other forest child he had met. He could speak to animals for one, and he showed his every emotion clearly.

"You know that's pretty much impossible right? He hates water children." Jeno nodded. He knew it was a stupid idea, but he had hoped Mark could help.

"I know. I just hoped you could help." Mark looked first into Jeno's eyes then at the floor. Jeno knew that look. He had an idea.

"Let's talk to Renjun then. He doesn't hate everybody. I'm sure he can hook you up with Jaemin." Even though his idea was stupid Jeno smiled. Maybe he would be able to be friends with Jaemin after all.

 

Chenle had been long gone when Jeno and Mark came up to him. Jeno’s cheeks were a faint pink, and he wouldn’t make eye contact with Renjun. Mark however wouldn’t take his eyes of him.

“What’s up?” Even if Renjun was more open than Jaemin, he didn’t trust water children. He grew up one way. It would always be a part of him, but he wanted to change the way people think. He wanted to trust everybody.

“Jeno here,” Mark points back at Jeno, who is still looking at the ground. “Wants to get to know Jaemin.” It must be a joke? The laughter rolled out of him. He laughed for a while until he saw Mark’s face. He didn’t even crack a smile.

“Wait, you’re being serious?” Mark nodded. Understanding Renjun’s reaction.

“Jeno is absolutely mental. I know, but will you help?” Renjun thought about it for a while. Thinking about how he could help, and what he could get back. They could make him get closer to Chenle, and he could make Jaemin think more about Jeno.

“Okay,” Mark beamed at Jeno, “on one condition. You make me get closer to Chenle.” Mark’s smile wavered a little, but it was back quickly. Muttering a quick sure. Dancing around Jeno. Telling him he will be able to talk to Jaemin.

“How will you help?” Jeno was smart, and he didn’t trust easily. He had to know what Renjun would help with.

“I’ll talk about you a little bit. I have an idea too, but I can’t tell you that.” Renjun smirked at Jeno as he walked away. He trusted Mark and Jeno would figure out how he would get closer to Chenle. He was ready for the long walk home. Figuring out how to get Jaemin to like Jeno, or at least speak to him. He had an idea. An idea he definitely couldn’t tell to Jaemin. He would hate him.

He had walked for about an hour when he saw a boy sitting on his knees on the side of the road. Playing with some foxes. Jaemin. Renjun laughed as he stepped closer. He should’ve known Jaemin didn’t make it home yet.

“You practicing speaking to foxes?” Jaemin laughed back at Renjun. Silently telling him he was already perfect at it. Seeing Jaemin play with the foxes, letting them bite his hands and scratch his face, Renjun decided to go with his plan. He was going to tell their teacher Jaemin was fluent at speaking to animals, and that Jeno happened to need help.

“Let’s get going.” Jaemin gave one of the four red foxes a last hug. Silently waving goodbye to them as the two humans walked away. Renjun knew Jaemin loved foxes, but sometimes he looked crazy.

“You treat them like humans.” They were far away from the foxes, but still Jaemin looks back. Checking if they can hear their conversation.

"They are better than humans. Foxes doesn't hurt you." Jaemin didn't have to mention the time he was bit to Renjun, but still he felt his arm. Feeling the outline of the scar.

"At least not mentally." Jaemin nodded at Renjun's words. Silently agreeing with him. Jaemin was used to being bit and being scratched, but he will never be used to people speaking badly about him. People leaving him.

The rest of the walk home was quiet. Not stopping to say hi to anymore animals, or discussing them. Renjun wanted to mention Jeno, but he felt it would be wrong. At least right now. When Jaemin had just mentioned he liked foxes more than humans.

"Goodnight."  Jaemin waved to Renjun as he walked into his house. He wasn't actually going to bed. He had to do this week's homework. It wasn't hard. The teacher didn't know he was already fluent in animal languages. He knew them all.

 

The next day Renjun took an earlier bus. Needing to get to school before Jaemin. Running throught the hallways and finding their teacher. She was sitting on one of the many desks. Being quite shocked to see a student.

"Renjun, what are you doing here?" She looked at her wrist watch. Checking what the time was.

"I'm here to help one of my friends." Renjun's words seemed to make his teacher more intruiged. Putting her pen down. Looking right at him.

"Does it have anything to do with me?" Renjun knew he could trust his teacher. She was nice. Renjun would say she was smart, but she hadn't figured out that Jaemin was fluent yet.

"Yes it does." He smiled at her and stepped further into the classroom. Waiting for her to tell him he could come sit down.

"Well, come sit down and tell me." Her smile was beautiful. She was wearing red liptint. Making her smile pop more, and her teeth look more white.

"I have a friend who needs help with his animals languages, and I have a friend who is fluent. Only one problem. My fluent friend doesn't want to talk to my non fluent friend." Renjun stopped to figure out how to explain it to his teacher a little bit more. Not quite sure how to say it.

"And what does this have to do with me?" She looked him up and down. Trying to read him. Not getting anything.

"You, get in because my friends both go in this class, and I want you to set them together to study." The teacher smiled at Renjun. It was more a smirk than a smile, but Renjun felt safe anyway.

"And does the non fluent student like the fluent student." Renjun didn't know if it was the truth, but he decided to just say it was.

"Yeah." His teacher laughed. Renjun wasn't sure if she was in on it yet. Silently praying she was.

"Okay. let's make them partners then." Renjun clapped loudly. Happiness rushing trough him.

"Thank you. The fluent one is Na Jaemin and the non fluent one is Lee Jeno. Don't say it was me though." The teacher didn't say anything more. Only nodding and scribbling them down on the paper. Renjun stood up and started walking out of the classroom. Hearing their teacher shuffle some papers behind him.

He

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter