I've Missed You, Clingy

What's with the name "Clingy" and "Grippy"?

Chanyeol sat on the train staring at nothing. With his eyes wide open and expressionless face, he scared a kid seated in the opposite row. The kid’s cry snapped him out of his state. He smiled and bowed apologetically towards the kid’s parents. He brought out Clingy from his bag and started to have a mental conversation with it.

“I can’t believe that you're Baekhyun. How can it be possible?”

“…”

“How? Well, it can't be, right? There might be a hundred Byun Baekhyun’s since it's common in Korea to have similar names. Right? Haha…”

“…”

“I’m going crazy. What if the Baekhyun now is the very same Baekhyun before? Clingy, what should I do?”

“…”

“You’re right I should find out. I’ll try to get some information out of him. What if it doesn't work?”

“…”

“Great idea! I’ll just have to see if he has Grippy with him.”

Chanyeol continued to plan his move to get to know Baekhyun with Clingy until they got back to Seoul. Meanwhile, Kyungsoo played the role of being the third wheel as Baekhyun and Grippy the bear had their date, though he didn't mind since he was not totally ignored. 

There were two days left before they resume classes and Chanyeol was restless. He was dying to know who Baekhyun really was. He wanted to deny it, but he just didn't know much information to conclude. But he also had the feeling that he wanted Baekhyun to be the one we were looking for. He was torn up inside. He then decides to call in Jongin for help. Jongin refused at first, but he eventually agreed when he was told that he would get the said information from Kyungsoo and not directly from  Baekhyun to avoid suspicion although Chanyeol left out the details as to why he was asking him to do it.

Jongin immediately called Kyungsoo to which the other excitedly agreed. To maximize his chance of success with the mission and Kyungsoo, they went to a bar to hangout. Their topic was the usual, school until Jongin skillfully but subtly leads the topic to Baekhyun. He timed it right when he saw Kyungsoo starting to get tipsy.

“So, I see that you’re close with Baekhyun.”

“Yeah, we lived in the same town when we were in grade school, but he moved out with his mom, and my family moved out too a year later.”

“I see, so you met again at the university.”

Kyungsoo nods and drinks another glass. The Jongin continued.

“You're just friends right?” Jongin was uncomfortable with the question, but he needed to push it further to get information.

Kyungsoo bursts into laughter. “Yeah we're just friends, nothing's going on between us.  Baekhyun isn't interested in being in a relationship anyway.”

“Why not? Does his scholarship have something to do with it?” Jongin furrows his eyebrows.

“No, it's not like that. He is looking for someone.”

“Looking for someone?”

“Yeah, some guy he nicknamed “Grippy” because, according to him, he had abnormally large hands.” 

“Oh, so he has never been in a relationship because of him?”

“Yeah.”

Jongin breaks into a sudden realization. “Wait, Chanyeol was never in a relationship too because he said he was looking for someone  he nicknamed “Clingy” and in turn, this Clingy person gave him the nickname "Grippy."

Kyungsoo and Jonging were silent for a moment before they started piecing together what they know about their friends to finally conclude that their stories perfectly fit together.

Kyungsoo looked at Jongin. "Should we tell them?"

Jongin shrugs but replies. "I don't think it's our place to do anything."

Kyungsoo nods in agreement. "We'll just have to let them figure it out, but if their argument totally gets out of hand, then we'll just have to break the news to them."

Jongin nods before changing the topic to lighter matters which later on turned to flirting with the doe-eyed guy with him. Most of the time, Kyungsoo would immediately shut down these attempts by Jongin, but this time, with the alcohol in his system, he played along more than willingly.

The next morning, Chanyeol work up groggily from his bed. He still felt tired after the long trip to find Clingy. As he ate his breakfast along with his family, his father noticed that Chanyeol was spacing out. Knowing that something must have happened after his son's trip yesterday, he set aside his newspaper to talk to his son.

"Chanyeol"

Chanyeol snaps out. "Uh... Yeah, Dad?"

"I meant to ask about your trip yesterday. Did you find him?"

Chanyeol looked down at his empty plate before replying. "Not exactly, but I found out his name, and I think I know where he is now."

Mrs. Park overhearing the conversation from the kitchen island join the conversation. "Well, what's his name? Where is now?"

Chanyeol was still looking down on his plate. "His name is Byun Baekhyun, and I think he's the newcomer in the university."

Mr. and Mrs. Park looked at each other before Mr. Park replied.

"Well, that's good isn't? You don't look too happy about it."

Chanyeol bit his lower lip. "I'm not sure yet if it's him, but if it was really him, we're not in good terms right now."

Mr. Park was not sure how to react, but he didn't want to push on to make his son more uncomfortable. "Chanyeol, I'm not one to intrude into the relationships you have at times, but ever since that day you met him, I could tell that he meant a lot to you so whatever the misunderstanding is between you two, I know that it would be best for both of you makeup. Does he know about you?"

Chanyeol shakes his head. "I told you, I'm not sure if it's him. I have to confirm it."

Mr. Park gives a warm smile. "Well, you've better find out soon. You wouldn't want someone else taking him." Looking over to Mrs. Park. "I tell you, it's hard having regrets. I almost lost your mom during our youngers because I was stupid back then so now, I have no regrets."

Mrs. Park smiles and winks at Mr. Park. Though Chanyeol had the urge to vomit his breakfast at the sight of his giddy parents, he knew that they were right and he had to act soon knowing that it won't be long that someone might develop an interest in Baekhyun. Chanyeol went back up his room and dialed the phone number Baekhyun gave him before their holiday. He was nervous as he dialed, but he knew he had to. It didn't take long for someone to pick up.

"Hello, Byun Baekhyun speaking."

"Ah, Hi Baekhyun. It's me Chanyeol."

Baekhyun's tone suddenly turned as though he wasn't interested in speaking and sarcastic in a way. "Oh, what do you want now?"

Keeping his calm, Chanyeol replied. "Well, I was just checking up on you if you have chosen a song already."

"Not yet. Weren't we supposed to talk about it when school resumes."

"I know but since this is a major requirement I thought that we should practice earlier to increase our chances of getting a good mark."

It took a while for Baekhyun to respond. "Fine, what song do you have in mind?"

"Well, I thought that the song PERHAPS LOVE from the drama Princess Hours would be a good choice. What do you think?"

It took a while for Baekhyun to reply again. "Fine, let's go with that song. I can't think of anything else anyway. So, when do we practice?"

"Well, are you free today?"

"Yeah. Where then?"

"How about your house?"

"What!? Why? Are coming over to make fun of how poor I am again." Baekhyun replied incredulously.

Chanyeol was shocked as well with Baekhyun's assumption. "What! No! Baekhyun, I did say sorry about that time. So, could you please forget about that."

"Fine, why not at your house or somewhere else? I'm sure house is bigger than mine."

Chanyeol actually prepared his reason/lies ahead of time. "My relatives are coming over later, so it'll be too noisy and today is still a holiday so practicing outside is not a good option since people will be everywhere."

Baekhyun got the logic and was convinced. "Fine, be here in an hour. I'll text you the address and bring your guitar along."

After an hour, Baekhyun was at his bedroom window waiting for his partner to arrive. As after, a black sports car parked in front of his house; soon after, he saw Chanyeol step out of the car with his shades on. Baekhyun rolled his eyes and made his way downstairs while muttering "spoiled rich brat," but in his mind, he admitted that it made him look y.

As Chanyeol rang the doorbell, he reminded himself of his mission. His heart was racing, but he tried to keep his cool. Soon after, the door opened, and he was greeted with Baekhyun's mom.

With a welcoming smile. "Oh, Hi there! You must be Baekhyun's friend, Chanyeol!"

Bowing. "Ah yes."

"Come in; it's good to know that Baekhyun is making friends. A good looking friend at that." 

Chanyeol blushes at the compliment but keeps smiling before Baekhyun comes into view from the stairs.

Keeping a straight face, Baekhyun called out to Chanyeol. "Let's go to my room."

Bowing to excuse himself from Mrs. Byun, he followed Baekhyun up the stairs. 

"Come down for lunch later, okay?" Mrs. Byun yells from the bottom of the stairs.

"Okay, mom," Baekhyun replies.

Inside Baekhyun's room, Chanyeol scans the surroundings. It was significantly smaller than his room, but it was neat and comfy. Baekhyun notices the other's actions.

"I know it's nothing compared to your room so sorry for the inconvenience," Baekhyun replies sarcastically.

Setting his guitar and bag down in a corner, Chanyeol turned to face Baekhyun.

"Will you stop it! I said sorry, didn't I? And I meant it. If it makes you feel any better, yes it's my fault. Can we just move on?"

Baekhyun just stared at Chanyeol indifferently. While Baekhyun was unresponsive, Chanyeol sighs and grabs something from his bag and hands it over to Baekhyun.

"Here."

Confused. "What is that?"

"Chocolates. I always see you eat it at the university so I decided that I'd make it my peace offering."

Baekhyun bursts into laughter. "Peace offering? It's a little childish but thank you."

Taking no offense, Chanyeol smiles. He was just relieved to have broken the tense atmosphere between them. "You're welcome."

Baekhyun took the bag of chocolates and placed them on his study desk before turning to face Chanyeol. "I guess I'm sorry too for overreacting to what you said."

"It's okay; It was mostly my fault anyway. I went too far." 

Then a short silence followed then Chanyeol, being himself, breaks the atmosphere.

Crashing on Baekhyun's bed, Chanyeol speaks in amusement. "I like your mom by the way; she says I'm handsome."

Baekhyun scoffs at the statement as he seats himself on his swivel chair. "And here, I thought we just apologized to each other."

"I was just kidding, laugh a little Baekhyun."

"Whatever Park, get off my bed and let's practice as we planned."

Getting up, Chanyeol sat on Baekhyun's bed crossing his legs. "But I just got here. Tell you what, since we just made up let's get to know more of each other. It'll help us be more comfortable with each other."

Understanding Chanyeol's reasoning, Baekhyun went along and soon after they were asking each other questions. As time passed, they started to be more comfortable with each other. Their conversation was interrupted by Mrs. Byun as she called the boys downstairs for lunch. Lunch was great in Chanyeol's opinion, the food and conversation, it was great until Mrs. Byun dropped a question for Chanyeol.

"Chanyeol, are in a relationship." The question caused him to briefly choke on the kimchi in his throat."

"Ah, no Mrs. Byun."

"Oh, that's a waste with your looks it won't be that hard. Baekhyun here was never in one for some reason."

Baekhyun gave his mom a look. "Mom, I told you! I'm waiting for the right one!" 

Having enough of the conversation, Baekhyun thanks his mom for the food before tugging Chanyeol by the collar motioning for him to go back upstairs. Chanyeol bows and thanks Mrs. Byun before following Baekhyun. As they lied down on the bed side by side, full from their meal, Baekhyun broke the silence.

"Sorry about that with my mom, she is just... touchy... when it comes to the issue of relationship. She might have been thinking that there's something between you and me." Baekhyun actually blushes at his statement.

Chanyeol slightly turns his head away from Baekhyun to hide his blush too. "It's okay I understand." As turned his head, he noticed a something under Baekhyuns pillow. He extended his hand and took hold of it, upon recognizing what it was, his eyes widened. Baekhyun noticed the object in Chanyeol's hand and promptly grabbed it.

"Oh, sorry about that. I forgot to put it away." Grabbing the bear to his side.

Chanyeol sits back up on the bed with an intense gaze towards Baekhyun. "What... Where did you that bear?"

Baekhyun responded innocently. "Ah, it's a long story actually, but it was given to me by someone a long time ago."

Still shocked. "You kept it all this time."

Unaware that it was actually a statement from Chanyeol, Baekhyun understood it as a question, so he replied with another round of blushing. "Well, you could say that that person is special or important to me."

Chanyeol snaps out of his shocked state with Baekhyun's statement. "Special... Important?"

"Mhm, I don't know why I'm telling you this, but you could say that he was my first love."

That was it, Chanyeol's heart started to race, and his breathing became heavy. Baekhyun noticed the change in Chanyeol's demeanor.

"Hey, Chanyeol? Are you okay?" Waving his hand in front of the other's face.

Chanyeol snapped out again and tried to collect himself. "Baekhyun, do you... remember the time I got mad at you because you spilled soup on my bag?"

Confused at the sudden change of topic, Baekhyun responded: "Yeah, why?"

Chanyeol puffed out some air to calm himself before reaching for his bag to get something. He turned towards Baekhyun, with his black bear in his hand. "Well, I was protecting this" pausing to smile "I've missed you, Clingy."