The Fool

The Jester And The Minstrel

Hongbin looked at the guy on the floor. He was wide eyed. Like he couldn't believe he just got punched on the face. And Hongbin seethed. How dare this guy have the nerve to be surprised by that.

 

"That's what you deserve, !" he spat, then marched away from the scene. His good mood after a good stage was completely ruined now. 

 

He made to grab his things from the dressing room but when he turned to exit the room again, Mr. was there standing and blocking the only exit.

 

"What do you want?!" he exclaimed. He doesn't usually go punching and yelling at people, but this guy is an exemption.

 

"Your stage was wonderful! I really really love your voice and its richness would be perfect as the main body if only you will choose the right song for your voice." he uttered in a rush, like an excited kid gushing over his favorite toy.

 

It was Hongbin's turn to be surprised. He thought he would get yelled at or even get punched in return. But there was nothing like that. This guy talks like Hongbin just didn't punch him not even five minutes ago.

 

"Oh! And you did so well with yesterday's film. You got second lead but that's okay since it was your first film. But I'm sure next time you can get the main lead." he continued.

 

Hongbin's heart soared at the compliment. But he quickly trampled on that feeling. This stupid guy with his stupid compliments was the root of all this. And what did he get for believing in this guy? Nothing. He just made a fool out of himself.

 

He can still recall how this guy asked, almost shyly, for a bit of his time after the second evaluations. He saw no harm in it and agreed. He should've just refused.

 

"I love your voice! The ballad you sang during the first evals was a total opposite from what you sang earlier and both were just beautiful!" he gushed and Hongbin stood frozen. He wasn't expecting the rush of words of compliments from someone he had never even talked to before.

 

"Actually, I double major for Drama and Vocal and ever since I heard you, most of my scripts and compositions were written with you in mind." he continued and Hongbin could feel himself blushing. The guy was talking with such an earnest face that there was no room to doubt if he was being honest or just trying to flatter him to get into his pants. It wouldn't be the first time it happened.

 

"So, will you please double major with me? It would be my absolute delight if I can get the chance for you to sing my songs and act my scripts. Please spend the rest of college with me." 

 

Hongbin's already big round eyes widened even more. The guy talked without a hint of shyness, totally different from how he approached earlier.

 

Admittedly though, this has been the oddest but ultimately the sweetest confession he had received. 

 

Usually, he tells people that they should start as friends first, just to get to know each other. He isn't very welcome to the idea of dating people he hardly knows. But this guy with his sleepy looking eyes and ridiculous white dyed hair and that expectant look in his eyes, like he isn't even thinking about the chance that Hongbin would reject him, made him pause and consider.

 

"I-- I'll think about it. Can you give me some time?" he asked, unusually shy, making his deep voice rise an octave higher so he quietly cleared his throat afterwards.

 

The guy didn't deflate at the answer he got. He just smiled and nodded enthusiastically. Hongbin belatedly realized that he didn't even got the guy's name.

 

Hongbin found himself seated in the auditorium the following day, to watch the Drama Department's films for the student evaluations. The guy's invitation about being a double major for Drama had bugged him the night before. Even if he does end up dating him and his soft smile, Hongbin still wouldn't blindly throw himself to years of hell. That's why here he was, sitting and waiting for the first film to roll.

 

Even if all of the short films were great on its own, two specific ones stood out for him. The third film had such an excellent lead actor that left Hongbin in awe with the smooth transition of emotions on his handsome face. Meanwhile the second to the last film didn't have any outstanding actors but the story had kept him at the edge of his seat the entire time. When the credits for it rolled in,  he actually felt disappointed that it wasn't as long as he would've liked.

 

A week later and Hongbin's papers were finished and his fate was sealed when he finally signed up for three and a half years of college hell.

 

The following semester had been the most stressful in Hongbin's 18 years on Earth. He had to attend regular classes in Vocal then he had to make up for the first semester he missed for Drama, adding to how he needed to go the extra mile to catch up with the regular first year curriculum.

 

It had been an extreme experience but the more he attended classes, the more he started to realize an unrecognized love for acting and he found it harder to even think of backing out from it.

 

If there was one thing that made his semester unbearable, it was the complete and utter disappearance of the guy who managed to convince him to torture himself with a whole lot of extra classes. He had been busy, it was to be expected. But he at least expected sleepy guy to seek him out again. Maybe ask him for Hongbin's answer or maybe to appear in front of him all happy that Hongbin had been showing up in the Drama Department.

 

A month and a mountain of assignments later and there was still no trace of the white haired guy. Hongbin had slammed his script right on top of his music sheet when the thought occured to him. "Did he just... made a fool out of me?"

 

He didn't want to believe it but once he got the idea, he couldn't think of a more plausible reason. Come to think of it, he was part of the Drama Department so a believable acting front should be easy to pull off. And stupid gullible him fell for it big time. A few compliments and he allowed himself to think that he was someone special for someone. Wow. He must've been a good laugh for Mr. and his friends.

 

Hongbin pushed through with it nonetheless. He had already been influenced once to take double majors. He won't let anyone else dictate whether he should stay or not. He would finish with a double degree and prove to himself that this isn't another mistake.

 

Preparing for the next quarterly evaluation certainly worn him down to the bone. It was filming and rehearsals fitted into his still busy class schedule. But at least he had completely forgotten a certain white haired male with sleepy looking eyes and a soft smile.

 

~*~

 

"Just leave me alone!" he yelled again. He tried to force his way out of the room. But didn't budge from his spot. Instead he rummaged in his pocket to bring out his phone, fiddled with it a little before handing it to him. 

 

"Here's the lyrics and music. Please look at this and tell me what you think. I wrote this based on your stages for first and second evaluations." he said, smiling at Hongbin even with his reddened cheek.

 

Dumbfounded, Hongbin took the offered device and just stared as the ball of white hair disappeared through the door. A couple of blinks and a shake of his head later, Hongbin looked at the harmless phone in his hand. He the screen, and stared at a word document opened with the words "Love Equation" at the very top.