Chapter 4

좋은 걸 뭐 어떡해

Sungjin’s breathing was heavy as he stood in front of the door to Wonpil’s house. Once he had caught his breath, he lifted a finger to ring the doorbell.

He wasn’t surprised to see Wonpil’s mum when the door opened.

‘Oh, hello there Sungjin. Are you here to see our Wonpil? He didn’t seem that happy this afternoon when he got home. Maybe you can cheer him up?’ she greeted, her usual cheerful self.

A look of guilt formed upon Sungjin’s features. He was the cause of Wonpil’s unhappiness, and that worried him.

‘I hope so Mrs. Kim,’ he managed to say, mustering up a smile.

‘Well I’ll let you in then,’ she said, stepping aside. ‘Have you eaten?’

‘Thank you for the offer, but mum already cooked me something to eat when I get back home,’ Sungjin thanked her before making his way up to Wonpil’s room.

Gaining all of his courage, Sungjin knocked on Wonpil’s door, his feet shifting as he went over anything he could possibly say to make Wonpil feel better.

‘Go away,’ Wonpil whined, his voice muffled by what Sungjin imagined to be a blanket.

Sungjin knocked again.

‘I can’t eat dinner,’ came a second reply.

Sungjin could practically hear the pout in Wonpil’s voice.

‘Wonpil, it’s me,’ Sungjin decided to clarify.

There was a sudden long silence, which was followed by an eventual,

‘Come in.’

Sungjin cautiously pushed the door open enough for him to walk inside, closing it behind him gently.

Wonpil was bundled up in pillows and blankets, wiping away his tears furiously with the back of his hands.

‘I didn’t want you to see me like this,’ Wonpil mumbled. ‘I really am sorry for everything. I shouldn’t have done what I did; I’m sorry if I disgusted you. I really didn’t think…’

Before Wonpil could finish, Sungjin took a seat, causing the bed to dip slightly under his weight.

‘You already apologised enough, Pil. I think it’s my turn to apologise.’

Wonpil stopped talking, his eyes wide, and nodded to indicate he was listening.

‘I owe you a big apology. I shouldn’t have left you there without saying anything. I just needed to clear my head, and I don’t know, think about what had just happened. I was just really surprised by the sudden kiss and confession. You didn’t disgust me at all Wonpil, not once in my life have I been disgusted by you,’ Sungjin spoke, looking down at Wonpil as he remained in his bed. ‘I’m confused right now Wonpil. You’re my best friend but I feel like we’ve been more than friends for a long time now. Thank you for helping me realise how stupid I was falling for someone so quickly; and thank you for making me realise that everything I need was right in front of me the whole time.’

By now Wonpil’s tears had dried. He couldn’t believe the words he was hearing from Sungjin. Those words were everything he wanted to hear plus more.

‘Do you really mean all of that?’ Wonpil said, making sure this wasn’t a daydream.

‘Of course I do, Pil’, he said. ‘I’m still sorta confused, and a little scared. I’m not sure where we will go from here, but I’m willing to try and see where this takes us.’

Wonpil sits up from his position on his bed, immediately wrapping his thin arms around Sungjin’s torso.

‘We can take as much time as we want,’ Wonpil encouraged. ‘We have a long time together anyway, right?’

Sungjin couldn’t stop himself from breaking into a smile, as he wrapped his arms around Wonpil as well.

‘I’m lucky I get to spend the rest of my life with my best friend,’ he said.

‘You mean boyfriend,’ Wonpil corrected with a stifled giggle.

‘Isn’t that moving a bit too fast?’ Sungjin joked, loosening his grip on Wonpil.

Wonpil pouted as Sungjin stopped hugging him.

Sungjin, possibly possessed by the same force as Wonpil was during their last encounter, planted a quick soft kiss on Wonpil’s pouty lips.

Wonpil’s eyes widened in shock, his cheeks immediately turning a light shade of pink.

‘I uh…’ Sungjin rubbed the back of his neck with his hand. ‘I should’ve done that when you kissed me earlier.’

Wonpil’s look of shock shifted into something more similar to smitten. Sungjin had to be the greatest person in the universe.

‘Thank you for kissing me back,’ was all Wonpil managed to say.

 

After three months had passed, Sungjin was waiting for Wonpil after school in front of the gates, trying to keep his eyes open. He let out a yawn before drifting off into his thoughts. From an outsider’s perspective, nothing had changed between the two since four weeks ago. They were still the same close friends to others. However, they knew a lot had changed. During the first two weeks, this change was scary; not only for Sungjin, but for Wonpil too. However, their newly established relationship was beginning to gradually feel more natural, little by little.

‘Race you back home!’ a very familiar voice shouted suddenly, breaking Sungjin from his own thoughts.

Wonpil was in a good mood; he received good marks in his Chinese exam, his mum packed him a delicious lunch that day (which he got to share with Sungjin), and he loved his boyfriend. He couldn’t have asked for anything more.

That’s why he was in such a playful mood, running right passed Sungjin, announcing a race back home. He knew he probably wouldn’t win, but he was so happy that he didn’t care.

‘That’s no fair, you got a head-start,’ Sungjin called out after him, forgetting how exhausted he was, as he started running after the boy who seemed to be in a great mood, laughter prominent in his voice.

‘You always beat me, so I deserve a head start,’ Wonpil shouted, profusely apologising as he almost ran into a middle-aged business man.

‘You’re too clumsy,’ Sungjin said, now running right beside Wonpil, also giving the man an apologetic nod.

‘How did you get here? I was winning,’ Wonpil pouted, running in the direction of a nearby park rather than the road home.

Sungjin shook his head, following his best friend, boyfriend, his Wonpil.

‘Look at the clouds, they’re pretty,’ Wonpil said, suddenly laying down on the green grass to gaze up at the sky.

‘Not as pretty as you,’ Sungjin said, cringing and pinching his own leg due to his greasy words.

Wonpil let out a small laugh, reaching out his hand for the other boy.

Sungjin looked around to make sure nobody was watching them. There were two children playing in the park and an elderly couple sitting on a park bench nearby.

‘I…’ Sungjin was about to speak, before he remembered the day that his relationship with Wonpil had changed.

He couldn’t let the words that his father had drilled into him dictate the way he lived his life. He had to live in the moment, he had to do whatever his heart wanted him to.

Wonpil noticed Sungjin’s hesitation and retracted his hand, feeling a little dejected.

However, he was happily surprised when Sungjin suddenly took hold of his hand, pulling it back to its original position.

Wonpil smiled, turning his head slightly so that he could look into Sungjin’s beautiful eyes.

‘Is this what love is?’ Sungjin asked, looking directly back into Wonpil’s.

Wonpil tilted his head slightly, as if to signal Sungjin to continue.

‘I’ve just been thinking about it a lot recently; it’s been keeping me up at night. I’ve been wrong before about love; it just turned out to be a one-sided crush. How do I know if this is truly love?’

Wonpil squeezed Sungjin’s hand and looked back up at the clouds.

‘If it helps, love to me is caring for someone even if they don’t love you in return, it’s having a feeling of comfort every time you’re with that person. I could go on for ages about what I think love is but everybody has a different way of explaining it,’ Wonpil spoke softly. ‘I don’t think you should be too worried about whether this is truly love. We should be having fun and enjoying our time together; we can figure that stuff out later. You shouldn’t be letting this keep you up at night, it’s not good for your health. I’m worried about you.’

Sungjin also looked back up towards the clouds.

‘Thank you,’ he said, a smile resting upon his face. ‘I didn’t know you could speak such wise words,’ he added with a chuckle.

So that’s what Sungjin did. He stopped thinking about what love was. Wonpil is the person who made him happy, and that’s all that really mattered to him. Wonpil was glad that he made Sungjin feel better; he was glad that Sungjin was getting enough sleep. The two of them weren’t sure what would lie ahead in the future, but they were happy and that is all that mattered to them.

 

A/N So that was the final chapter. Thank you for reading as far as this chapter!! ^^ I hope this chapter was a good ending, but I'm not really confident about it :') I also didn't get time (or maybe i'm just being lazy) to edit this, so I hope there aren't any mistakes haha. And I hope u guys are ready for Every Day6 September woooohooooo ~ Anyways, thank you again ~~~