the lemon law: 1

The Lemon Law

derived from HIMYM's "the lemon law"
see http://how-i-met-your-mother.wikia.com/wiki/Lemon_Law

Too much HIMYM for me plus NielOng's crazy fanservice for wanna one GO <3
since it's getting awfully long, i'm going to divide it into two chapters heeh

AND WANNA ONE FREAKING DEBUTED!!!!!!!!! ALL KILL!!!!!!!
I AM SO PROUD OF MY BOYS I CAN'T EVEN

 

**

ONG!!!!!  11:06PM
JISUNG

jisung    11:07PM
whut

ONG!!!!!     11:08PM
I’M GOING TO KILL YOU

jisung 11:08PM
wth why
is it bc i’m super awesome

ONG!!!!! 11:11PM
u must be talking about me

Jisung  11:11PM
I cannot take this conversation bye

ONG!!!!   11:13PM
I’M GOING TO CHOP YOUR BIG HEAD OFF

jisung   11:14PM
uhm
okay?
but tell me why first

ONG!!!!!   11:17PM
WORST!!!
BLIND!!!!!!!!!!!
DATE!!!!!!!
eVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jisung    11:19PM
wth
what happened
i’m studying make it quick

ONG!!!!!  11:20PM
only way i know how ;-)

jisung   11:23PM
..WTF
i have no interest in your life
i cannot go on with this convo
bye

ONG!!!!!   11:24PM
u set me up with the worst guy on earth
wHY SET ME UP WITH THAT GUY?????

jisung   11:24PM
what do u mean
nyel is a nice guy, so why not
he isn’t the worst guy on earth
and you practically begged me to set you up with the best guy I know
so there, i gave u the best one 

ONG!!!!!   11:27PM
shouldn’t have trusted u
your whole dating history is a cATASTROPHE

jisung    11:28PM
excuse me????
..wOW
BYE U SON OF A ME

ONG!!!!!    11:29PM
it’s never going to work
so i lemon law-ed him

jisung   11:30PM
you lemon.. what?
wth ong
speak English

ONG!!!!!   11:31PM
anyways, thanks for wasting my time
FRIENDSHIP CANCELLED
ONGSUNG IS CANCELLED

Jisung   11:31PM
k

ONG!!!!!  11:32PM
ur not my best bro anymore

seen 11:33PM

ONG!!!!!    11:35pm
r u ignoring me
JISUNG

seen 11:36PM

ONG!!!!!    11:36pm
JISUNG-SSI!!!!
sweet dreams, dream of me
i’m going to kill u in ur sleep ;-)

Seen 11:38pm

 

 ***

 

 

Ong Seongwoo isn’t the kind of person to go on second dates when he knows it’s never going to work. Heck, even within five minutes, he can distinguish whether his date is a good fit or not.

After watching too much How I Met Your Mother, he started to live his life Barney Stinson style— legendary. That is why when he met Kang Daniel on a date care of his very good friend Yoon Jisung, he decides to apply one of the best rules: The Lemon Law. You only need five minutes to know whether your date is going anywhere. After seeing Daniel smiling and laughing while talking to the small potted cactus on the table, Ong Seongwoo decides this date isn’t going anywhere. He’s Ong Seongwoo for crying out loud, he wouldn’t settle for a loser laughing for no reason.  He’s Ong Seongwoo, hecan score two 10s if he wanted to.

He knew that Daniel and him aren’t a good combination, that is why he doesn’t know why he ended up getting stuck with Kang Daniel a year and a half later, a red string stopping them from staying more than one meter away from each other.

“Congratulations, Ong Seongwoo-nim, Kang Daniel-nim!” The over-all in charge for The Red String of Fate booth, Choi Minki, says with a smile, gesturing at a smiling Daniel and a gloomy Seongwoo. “You guys are one of the people connected by the red string, and you know what this means?”

I’m damned, that’s what it is. Ong Seongwoo thought to himself as he pretended to listen to whatever Minki has to say. He dumped this guy, why on earth would he want to spend one day with him again?

“This means that the two of you, yes sweetie look at your partner,” Minki said, pertaining to the young couple beside Daniel, Bae Jinyoung and Lee Daehwi. “I can see that you’re liking it, huh? We’ll see. Anyways, where was I?” Minki clasped his hands together and pressed his lips together. “It means that the two of you are destined to be together! Well, besides the fact that you or your friends kind of paid for it, thank you for your donations by the way. The drama club will use it well.”

The more Minki explained about the club, the more Seongwoo got bored. He was supposed to enjoy the school festival with his other friends, but an anonymous person bought the red string package from the drama club and partnered him up with Kang Daniel.

“Can you just explain the rules already?” The boy named Hwang Minhyun said, looking a little annoyed at Minki’s endless promotions of the Drama Club. Not everyone seemed happy with their partners, Ong Seongwoo is the very example, and just wants the activity to be over.

“I’m getting to it, don’t get too excited sweetie.” Minki patted Minhyun’s head, smiling sarcastically at the boy.  “The Red String of Fate prevents you to go more than one meter away from your partner. You guys will spend the whole day together, and each one of you will be given a mission to complete. The couple who wouldn’t be able to finish the mission and return to the campus by seven in the evening just in time for the festival’s fireworks display would be given a penalty.  I know that you guys wouldn’t like it so I suggest that you just complete the mission and have fun with your dates.”

Ong Seongwoo looked at the guy on his right who’s too busy humming to a song he doesn’t know while smiling to his self.

This is going to be a long day.

 

 

“So, uhm.” Daniel looked at Seongwoo, smiling.  “I read the mission, and it looks like we have to complete three missions today.” He handed the mission card to Seongwoo before giving him his share for the drinks. Seongwoo shook his head and told Daniel to keep the card with him, to which the younger agreed.

After receiving their mission from Minki, the two decided to grab some coffee from the Starbacks across their university. Seongwoo needed his daily caffeine fix, while Daniel wanted a strawberry milkshake.

“There’s a drawing of pasta and wine on the third mission, and I think we’re going to watch a movie for the second one since there’s popcorn and everything.” Daniel said, while tracing and pointing at the drawings on the mission card. “I think it would be fun.”

Wow, Daniel is really talkative, even with actual people, Seongwoo thought to himself as he placed his wallet back inside his black bag. “What’s the first mission?” He gently tugged on the string and walked towards the claiming area with Daniel following him not far behind.

“It says, ‘get to know each other while walking to the movie house’.” Daniel nodded to himself before looking at Seongwoo again. “I think that’s it since there’s a doodle of two people and a road, and a dialogue box. It isn’t actually written on it but that’s just how I interpreted it.”

“You’re really talkative, do you know that?” Seongwoo said, a little amused at how Daniel was able to come up with a story like that out of the drawings on the mission card.

“I’ve been told.” Daniel nodded with a smile. “But Jisung hyung is more talkative than me.”

“I’m aware of that fact.”

“I’m actually the least talkative, if you compare me with my friends. Jisung hyung is the most talkative, of course. And then there’s Jinwoo and Jaehan hyung. Oh, Taewoong hyung is talkative too.”

“You sure have a lot of talkative friends. Knowing that your friends with Jisung hyung kind of gave me a heads up that you might be as talkative as him as well.”

“I tend to talk a lot when I’m nervous, so I won’t get all awkward and ty. My accent is even coming out, I’m that nervous.” Daniel rubbed his nape shyly, looking at his worn out sneakers before glancing at Seongwoo once again. “It’s nice to actually see you, Seongwoo hyung.”

Seongwoo took a glance at Daniel and nodded. “Well, sorry I didn’t show up before. I had to attend to something urgent.” He had to lie. He wasn’t that heartless. After all, he had to spend the day with the boy. Awkwardness wouldn’t help him get through, not when Daniel is actually making an effort to not make things awkward.

Danile chuckled softly and shook his head. “It’s okay. You don’t need to lie. Jisung hyung told me everything about the ‘law’ or something.”

“Well, I firmly believe that five minutes is enough to know whether a date would go well or not.” Seongwoo took his cup of iced caramel macchiato and poked the straw on it.

Daniel took a sip from his strawberry milkshake and smiled, his rabbit-like two front teeth showing. “Wow, it’s really sweet. But it’s really good.” The boy mumbled to his self before taking another sip while humming a soft tune.

There he goes, he’s talking to his self again. Ong Seongwoo shook his head as he took a sip on his drink. Dragging Daniel with him, they walked out of the café and started walking towards the movie house a few blocks away from where they were at the moment.

“Well, if you believe in that law, I firmly believe,” Daniel said, turning his attention on Seongwoo as he tapped his fingers on the cold cup. “That five minutes isn’t enough to determine whether a date is going okay or not. Five minutes isn’t even enough to get to know a person and tell whether it’s going to work or not.”

Seongwoo looked at Daniel as if he was speaking in a language he cannot understand. How dare he question the lemon law? The Lemon Law has helped him drive away possible disaster dates and crazy exes. It actually helped him keep his dating history quite decent. He gasped dramatically and moved as far as the string would let him from Daniel. “How dare you!”

“What?” Daniel shrugged, smiling innocently. “I’m just stating an opinion. I mean, if you think about it, the first five minutes of our meeting today is consists of me awkwardly staring at you while you’re throwing a fit. Do you think that’s enough to prove that this ‘date’ is going downhill?”

Seongwoo blinked as he took in what Daniel said. The boy actually had a point, but nevertheless, the lemon law is a sacred law that awesome men like him and Barney lives by. He cannot break the legendary streak. “I hear you, but I still believe that the lemon law has actually helped me shoo off potential crazy exes.”

“The lemon what?” Daniel tilted his head to the side, blinking his eyes.

“The lemon law. I lemon law-ed you, that’s why I didn’t show up on our blind date.”

“What’s the lemon law?”

Seongwoo then began to explain the lemon law, based on Barney Stinson’s explanation. The origin, the example, the exact episode and season number, he had it memorized. Unlike the others who looked bored when he explained about his fondness for the series and Barney Stinson, Daniel actually listened. Seongwoo’s the kind of person who likes it when someone pays attention to him, and Daniel responding sincerely like that gives him a little ego boost. He even asked questions, and told Seongwoo he’s going to give him his hard drive and copy the whole series when he sees him again.

“So wrapping it up, bottom line is, first impressions are that important, Daniel.” Seongwoo threw his empty cup of coffee on the trash can before looking at Daniel who seemed absorbed in his little explanation. Seongwoo’s first impressions on people are correct 95% of the time. So if he thinks Daniel is a weirdo who talks and laughs by himself, he thinks he’s right.

“What’s your first impression of me?” Daniel asked curiously, biting on the tip of the straw as he waited for the answer. The boy looked like a child waiting for the result of his test.

Seongwoo raised a brow, contemplating whether he would tell the truth or not. Actually, he can tell him the truth. Jisung already told Daniel about what really happened, so it isn’t as if he’s going to lose anything anymore. “I think you’re a weirdo who talks and laughs by his self a lot.” He just replaced the word ‘loser’ with ‘weirdo’, as if it would make a difference.

He expected Daniel to look a little crestfallen after hearing him, but it was the opposite. The boy chuckled softly while nodding. “Okay, I accept that. It’s true though, I tend to talk to myself a lot.”

Seongwoo raised an eyebrow. “Uhm.. okay?”

“Aren’t you going to ask me what my first impression of you is?” Daniel asked with a teasing smile, nudging Seongwoo gently on the sides. He took the look the older guy gave him as a go signal. Daniel’s teasing smile turned into a soft and warm one as he looked at Seongwoo. “Well, I must say that whether it’s in Busan or here in Seoul, you’re actually the most beautiful person I have ever seen.”

Seongwoo was caught off guard. He can feel blood rushing up to his cheeks, turning his slightly tanned skin on his cheeks a little red. He didn’t expect that answer. Even after he called the younger boy a weirdo who talks and laughs by his self a lot, Daniel was still able to say a good thing about him, and he meant it. He is used to hearing that he’s good-looking, but Daniel sincerely telling him that he’s beautiful was enough to make his heart confused.  Most people would just tell him that he looked vain or snobby, but Daniel actually managed to surprise him with his first impression and even made him blush. He was the first one to actually do that.

“Won’t you look at that? You’re actually blushing.” Daniel laughed softly as he looked at the blushing and awkwardly silent boy beside him. “Give me this chance, hyung. Just this one day. If you still feel like lemon law-ing me or something after today, I’ll accept it. I won’t ask you out on a third date.”

Seongwoo cleared his throat, trying to regain his composure. “Third date?”

“Technically, this is our second date even if you didn’t show up on the first one.”

“Stop rubbing that fact on me.”

“I’m just stating what really happened, hyung.”

“Shut up.” Seongwoo pushed Daniel away by the arm before walking ahead. Daniel just laughed and followed along.

Of all the people Seongwoo met, he can say that Daniel is the most unexpected. He had to admit that.

 

 

If Seongwoo would make an actual tally of the times Daniel laughed in the past thirty minutes he spent with him, then probably, he could say that the boy laughed more than ten times in that short span of time.

Walking towards the cinemas near the university doesn’t usually take thirty minutes, but with Daniel needing to pee and wanting to buy a pack of bunggopang (and actually laughing it for a good ten minutes because one of the fish carps only had one eye), it took them that long to actually reach to the destination of their second mission.

“What’s so funny?” Seongwoo looked at the laughing boy beside him as they went inside the cinemas. Daniel is laughing once again, and he didn’t know what the boy saw for him to laugh like that again. “Why are you laughing again?”

“The.. the..” Daniel found it hard to form his sentence in between laughs. “The fish carp only had one eye.” The blond-haired boy looked at the fish carp he was holding and began laughing softly again.

Seongwoo looked at Daniel, both amused and amazed at how the boy can laugh at something over and over again. Daniel seemed like the kind of person who isn’t hard to please. The three jokes Seongwoo said in the past thirty minutes were received well by the boy (he was clapping like a seal and laughing). It actually amazed Seongwoo how easy it is to make the boy laugh, and how much he liked it when Daniel responded to him that well.

After that small awkward moment (thanks to Daniel’s cheesy yet sincere first impression), Seongwoo started to open up little by little to Daniel without knowing. He started making jokes, which he usually does only with his close friends, and found the little things Daniel did cute (even though he does deny it). Daniel had endless charms, and he was starting to acknowledge them (this one he doesn’t deny). With this, he’s contemplating whether the lemon law should stay or not.

“Stop laughing at the fish carp, Daniel.” Seongwoo took one fish carp from the paper bag Daniel was holding and took a bite. “You’ve been laughing at it for almost fifteen minutes.”

“But it’s funny,” was the only response that Daniel was able to come up with in between his short spurts of laughter.

Seongwoo shook his head in amusement, letting the boy laugh to his self as he dragged him towards the cashier.  There was a big white flag with a red heart on it right beside counter number one, a big sign that the two should go there. Since the event The Red String of Fate by the drama club has been an annual thing for the university wide festival, they were able to partner up with places like this in exchange of free advertisements.

“Faster, Daniel. God, stop laughing.” Seongwoo tugged on the string, urging Daniel to walk faster.  “It’s a fish carp, for goodness’ sake.”

“Alright, alright.” Daniel said, pressing his lips together to stop his self from laughing. “I’ll stop.”

“Good, good puppy.” Seongwoo grinned and patted Daniel’s head before dragging him to the counter on the far left side.

They were welcomed by a guy with a wide smile behind the counter. “Hello, I’m Jonghyun. Are you two the destined pair?”

“Wow, that’s some lame you got there man.” Seongwoo laughed softly, shaking his head in amusement.

The guy named Jonghyun chuckled softly, rubbing his nape out of embarrassment. “Minki made us do it. He got mad at us when we didn’t go by the script.” He laid his hand out and looked at Seongwoo. “Where’s your card? I need to stamp it first before I give you the tickets.”

Seongwoo looked at Daniel; the boy nodded and took the red envelope out of his bag. “Here you go, Ong hyung.”

“Ong hyung?” Seongwoo raised an eyebrow as he took the red envelope from the Daniel. “Really? You got a nickname for me now?”

“Your name’s a mouthful.” Daniel shrugged, chuckling softly as he stood beside his Ong hyung.  The older boy took out the mission card from the envelope and handed it to Jonghyun. “Ongs~” Daniel began to sing, bobbing his head to his own rhythm. “Ong Ongs!”

“Stop it, Daniel.” Ong narrowed his at Daniel playfully.

“Ong Ongs!”

“Stop it, Daniel.” Seongwoo pinched Daniel’s cheek and pulled at it, making the younger boy wince in pain. “I’m still being nice, you know.”

“You guys are cute.” Jonghyun commented with a slight chuckle as he took out the mission card from the envelope. He was preparing the stamp when the telephone beside him suddenly rang. Since he’s an employee there and it might be an urgent call, he answered it first, placing the stamp beside the card. “Good morning, I’m Kim Jonghyun from Jeojang Movie House. How can I hel— oh Minki it’s you. What’s up? Mm. Uh-huh.” He glanced at the two boys bickering in front of him and nodded, as if he was talking to Minki in person. “Are you seriously asking me to say that right now? No, I’m not going to say it. Just because! It’s silly! Minki. No. I’m not do— alright. Mm. See you later.”

Jonghyun cleared his throat, successfully catching the attention of the two boys in front of him. He let out a sigh and ran his hands through his hair before smiling weirdly at the Daniel and Seongwoo. “A new rule of fate has arrived. Please give me your hand Ong Seongwoo-ssi.”

“You do know that what you’re saying is lame, right?” Seongwoo, both curious and confused, placed his hand on the counter.

“I know, I know. Let’s just get this over with.” Jonghyun let out out a sigh before reaching for Seongwoo’s wrist. He then began to fix the locks of the red string on Seongwoo. “Fights are inevitable within couples. Because you two have been bickering continuously, the cupids from the drama club wishes you two to become closer through this—” Jonghyun monotonously said before pulling on the strap, making it shorter by 20 centimeters. Daniel was dragged and was forced to move closer to his Ong hyung, hitting him on the arm in the process.

Seongwoo’s eyes widened as he looked at Jonghyun then at the shortened red string around his wrist. “What the act—”

Daniel, on the other hand, just laughed it off.

“Why are you laughing? This isn’t a situation where you should be laughing!”

Daniel waved his hand in the air, telling Seongwoo to not mind him as he laughed softly to his self. Seongwoo let out a loud sigh of defeat. He can’t do anything against it. After this day ends, he swears to look for whoever paid for this red string package and kick him in the (or thank him—it depends on how the date ends to be honest, but he shrugs the thought off).

“I wish you two a happy day. Here’s your mission card.” Jonghyun stamped on the card before placing it back on the envelope. He handed it to Seongwoo together with two movie tickets. “Here are your movie tickets. The cupids from the drama club wish that you two would enjoy this little treat. Have a good day.”

Seongwoo let out a sigh as he took the envelope from Jonghyun. “Dude, I feel bad for you. You have to say all that lame stuff.”

“I know, I know.” Jonghyun ran his fingers through his hair. “Anywho, I hope you guys enjoy the movie. See you around.”

Seongwoo gave Jonghyun a nod before dragging Daniel away from the booth. “And you,” he pointed at Daniel and narrowed his eyes at him playfully. “You’re enjoying this, huh?”

“Heh.” Was all that Daniel was able to say.

Seongwoo rolled his eyes. “Shut up.” He brought the tickets closer to him to check what movie they were going to watch. “Oh, we’re watching a horror movie.”

Daniel was quiet as they made their way inside the cinema. It was the kind dedicated especially for couples, where you get a wide booth just for two people. Seongwoo sat on the seat comfortably while Daniel cautiously did. He was looking around the place, and is unusually quiet. Seongwoo noticed it, and was a little bothered.

“Hyung,” Daniel tugged at Seongwoo’s shirt as soon as the lights went off, signaling the start of the movie.

“Mm.” Seongwoo answered nonchalantly as he popped a popcorn in his mouth.

“The thing is..”

“Mm?”

 

 

“..I’m not good at watching horror movies.”

 

 

**

 

also, if you're feeling it, kindly give some love to my other work as well!
it would be much appreciated <3

Kaleidoscope Heart

STREAM WANNA ONE STREAM STREAM STREAAAAM!!!!!!!!!