Day 11

Lotto in Chains

DAY 11

 

                “Eunji! You’re feeling better!” Yun-Hee called at you from a few feet away, but you just ran past her to your office to grab your file and your pens.

                “Real busy, I’ll catch up after.” You ran past her to the stairs, looking at your phone and cursing when you saw you were a minute from being late.

                “Yah! Eunji!”

                But you didn’t stop. You didn’t have time to. You wanted to get to Chen’s room, to slam your hands on the table and demand answers, and that’d been your plan until five minutes ago until your calendar had pinged, showing that someone had scheduled a meeting in Mr. Im’s office, and your dumb phone had been to busy to notify you until about 5 minutes ago.

                You shuffled into your seat, trying your best to keep your breathing low to not show that you’d just ran up all those stairs. Everyone else was here as well, all 8 of you plus Mr. Im. You had no doubt what this meeting was about, 11 days were gone of your 14 day window. In three days, you would have to relinquish your hold over all 8 suspects. Mr. Im had only 3 days to either seal his reputation as a living legend, or be cemented as one of the biggest screw-ups the DOJ had ever seen. He’d be dying for information, anything. He would ask you all for updates, he would ask to see what everyone had gathered, and this time you actually had something to say!

                “Alright everyone,” Mr. Im wrung his hands together, bracing himself. Youcould see the palor under his eyes, the stress was obviously weighing on him. “I sincerely hope this meeting is more enlightening than the last one.” He looked around expectantly at the room, and all of the silent people within it.

Should you tell?

Of course you should. It’s big information, it’s the biggest lead anyone has so far!

But what about Chen?

He trusted you enough to tell you all this, you couldn’t just betray him.

What about Chen? He’s a criminal!

This is the big break you’ve been waiting for!

But if it’s wrong you might as well resign right here and now!

But if it’s right…this changed your whole career!

This shows everyone how wrong they were to doubt you!

This shows your talent, everything you’ve worked for!

But if it’s wrong. It’d ruin you.

Maybe you should ask Chen about it first, see his reaction?

Yes. Good plan. Check with Chen first, then report back.

And what about the poor girl!

She didn’t look strong enough to leave the house, never mind be dragged down here for interrogation.

Well she won’t be able to hide it much longer.

Not if they call in a family doctor.

She has my card.

She’ll call.

 

                “No one has anything?” He said, “You’re joking. It’s been TEN DAYS!”

                “They’re ready for us sir, nothing we’re doing is getting through to them.”

                “They won’t speak to us.” A woman said, “We need to come up with something else.”

                “We have THREE DAYS LEFT!” Mr. Im bellowed, red rising around his temples.

                “What if we…” a man began tentatively, Jisoo, if you remembered correctly, the man who was in charge of Chanyeol. “What if we let a couple of them see each other? See what they let slip when they’ll try to pass secret messages?”

                There was a ruffle in the room, people shifting to the edge of their seats, eyes glancing to each other.

                “At this point I don’t see why not.” Mr. Im sighed, “They’re hard as nails these boys.”

“What about Suho?” someone asked.

“He’s the leader of them isn’t he? I’d prefer not to have him near the others just yet if we can help it. What about that quiet one, D.O.?”

                “D.O. still hasn’t said a word for the whole ten days, I’d think he was actually a mute if he didn’t scream in discipline. Somehow I feel like he’s this way with the others as well.”

                “A chatty one then, Baekhyun?”

                Yoona sat up, “I don’t think it’s wise. He’s like a snake.”

                A snake that’s wound its way around you. You thought, he had her right where he wanted her, centre stage for his amusement.

                Mr. Im sighed, “People! They’re murderers! Of course it’s going to be dangerous!” He cast his eyes around the room, looking at each person individually, glossing over you.

                What? Did he think you were useless? The youngster of the team who was just here for the laughs? You’d done the most work of anyone here! You’d stuck to your morals and proved they worked! You were the only one here with any decent information at all!

                You stuck your hand in the air, “Chen could do it sir.”

                “Xiumin too.” Sora chipped in from the other side of the table, not about to let you have one second of glory over her. She smirked at you.

                Mr. Im dropped the files back on the table. “Settled, let’s do it now. Get them ready.”

                “We’ll have to move them.” Yoona said, “they’re on different floors.”

                You could see Sora about to say something so you jumped in first, “Chen can do it. I can get him to move.”

                Yoona looked at you, “you can guarantee he won’t be a hazard?”

                You nodded, “I state my job on it. I can get him there.”

 

=====

 

                You managed to wrangle your way out of the room and charge up to the sixth floor. You knew they were just moments behind you in the elevator, and they’d called in security to manhandle him if he didn’t behave. You needed to talk to him before any of them or the research team got here.

                They probably wouldn’t appreciate the casual tone you took with him.

                You barged into the interrogation room, shocking him.

                “Woah, what’s up-”

                “Chen, there’s people coming, I need you to listen very carefully.”

                His eyes were focused, zeroed on you. “I’m listening.”

                “There’s no harm coming to you, or anyone, and you’ll be back in here by nightfall at the latest. But I need you not to put up a fuss, I need you to trust me. They’ll fire me if you misbehave.”

                His dark eyes weren’t blinking, weighing up your words. “Ok.”

                You heard people crowding into the observation area. You stood and faced them.

                “Please step away, Miss Kang.” A security guard said, taking out a pair of cuffs. “Let us handle this.”

                “No.” You said, immediately. “He’s used to me, I’ll do it.”

                “Miss I can’t let you-”

                “I said I’ll do it.”

                The guard looked wary, but eventually passed you the cuffs. “Behind his back.”

                You nodded, turning and meeting Chen’s eyes for a brief second. They were darker than you had ever seen them, his face stony, no hint of playfulness in the corner of his lips. He looked like his reputation.

                “Place your hands together behind your back for me please.” You said, letting him slowly move into place. His skin was hot to the touch. It’d only been three days since Sora’s discipline, and he’d been healing well but there were still a darkness around his wrists. You placed the cuffs and clicked them closed, leaving as much space as possible while still having him secure.

                “And this.” You turned to see the same security guard holding out a black cloth.

                You took it, grudgingly. Wasn’t blindfolding him a step too far? You were only going up a floor. But you turned to Chen and saw the disgust in his eyes as he eyed the blindfold. But he looked at you again, and you must have looked pathetic because his fierceness lessened and he gave a sigh that you recognised as consent.

                If you must.

                You tried to thank him through your eyes, before slipping the elasticated black cloth over his eyes.

                The guard came to stand beside you, placing a hand on the back of Chen’s neck for only a brief second before you slapped it away.

                “What do you think you’re doing?”

                “He needs to be escorted.”

                “And I told you I’d do it. He’s my subject, I’m responsible for him and I’d advise you to keep your hands off him.”

                “Miss, I can’t do that, you aren’t qualified to-”

                “And you aren’t qualified to order me around. Step down, and let me do my job.”

                There was a staring contest between the two of you. The man towered over you, broad shoulders and a hard gaze, but you weren’t backing down. You’d asked Chen to trust you, and you weren’t about to let some grunt manhandle him.

                Finally, the man stepped back. “This way.”           

                I know where I’m going. You thought, but you bit it back.

                “I’m going to put my hands on the back of your neck and on the cuffs,” You told Chen, “I’ll tell you which way to go.”

                He nodded, and you placed your hands on him.

                This was so different than when you’d cleaned his wounds, there was something charged about this time, something heated about touching the bare skin of his neck, feeling the base of his hair tickle your fingertips. You could feel his muscles shifting under your touch, a cat ready to pounce as you guided him forwards. There were two guards in front of you, two behind, but at least there were none touching Chen.

                “And stop, we’ll turn around.” You guided him once he was in the elevator, and the four guards piled in with you.

                “Is this really necessary?” You sighed, exasperated, “there’s barely enough room to breathe in here.”

                “We can’t leave you alone with the accused, ma’am.”  

                Chen stayed motionless, but you felt his neck tense. You watched, and saw the guard beside Chen pinching his arms, grinning as Chen did nothing to fight back. Of course he did nothing, he was already in cuffs, one step out of line and they actually had something to hold him on! How disgusting could these guards be? You reached over and shoved the guard into the wall of the elevator, power rushing through you as his eyes widened.

“I said keep your hands off him.” You said coldly, putting your hands back on Chen, letting the heat of his skin burn away the ice that was creeping on you. You didn’t even notice you were shaking until his hands moved in the cuffs, his fingertips brushing against yours in reassurance. You could practically hear his voice,

You’re doing fine, you’re in control, you’re better than these guys.

 You looked back to the main guard as the elevator doors slid open.

                “I want him demoted.” The guard spluttered but you continued barreling over him, “for provoking a subject during movement and questioning. Get it done or I’ll make sure you all pay for his idiocy.”            

                You marched forward with Chen. “Get that grin off your face.” You muttered, but you were fighting the same.

                Only until you rounded the corner, and saw the rest of the research team waiting for you outside the room you knew was Xiumin’s. You guided Chen in, into the interrogation room and sat him in the interviewer’s chair.

                “Leave his cuffs, but you can take his blindfold.” That wasn’t the security guard. That was Mr. Im.

                You tried to focus on him, and Chen, and not Xiumin’s eyes which were watching you like they could see right through you. You knew he recognised you from when you’d barged in on him and Sora before, and for the first time you actually regretted doing it, because now his eyes on you were intrigued, and curious.  

                “I’m going to take blindfold off now, please remain seated.” You murmured, slipping your hands under the fabric and lifting it off, skimming his temples as you did. Promptly, you marched out to the observation room and heard the door shut behind you.

                You turned, and saw the two looking curiously at one another, like cats curiously sniffing one another out.

                Please make this go well.

 

=====

 

                You watched wordlessly as Chen looked at Xiumin. He was good at guarding his face, but you could tell. Chen was shocked at the state of his friend, and he should be. Baekhyun was in bad shape because Yoona had respect for the discipline model of interrogating. Xiumin was in bad shape because Sora interrogated with savagery, he might be in the worst shape of any of them. One of his eyes was almost swollen shut. There wasn’t a patch of skin that wasn’t purple or blue or yellow with bruising, his lips were split, his arm sat unevenly as if the bones had been dislocated. By comparison, Chen looked ready for a picnic, with his fading bruises and the cut on his cheekbone.

                You had your recorder in your folder, not entirely sure if you were allowed to record this personally but you were doing it anyway. If anyone had a chance at decoding Chen’s words, it was you.

                Xiumin grinned, a painful looking grimace. “Sup ugly.”

                Chen laughed, “you should see yourself.”

                Chen had his handcuffs behind his back, but Xiumin had his at the front, and he placed his hands heavily on the table. Blood trickled out from beneath them, sores from frequent restraints aggravated by the movement.

                “Got any secret messages to pass to me then?” Xiumin asked, throwing an obvious wink at the glass, knowing you were all stood behind it. “They’re all waiting.”

                Chen laughed again, he was at ease here, despite being cuffed. His shoulders were as low as they could be, and there was an easiness to his voice. “I heard there was going to be a sale on pork downtown, if one of them wants to make me some worthwhile dinner.”

                Was that meant for you? Was he making a jab at your cooking? But what did you expect, obviously they knew what you were doing, and obviously they weren’t about to say anything of worth. You doubted they’d say anything useful at all, just shoot the breeze until time was up and Chen would be brought back downstairs.

                “Are you kidding?” Xiumin shot back, “the food here is to die for.”

                You had no doubt, he looked like he hadn’t been fed in a week.

                “mmm.” Chen hummed, “I think I’d have to agree. Could do with a bit more seasoning though, the Chef’s don’t really seem to understand flavour.”

                Another shot at your cooking. Ungrateful-

                Xiumin leaned his head left, cracking his neck. “How long have we been in here?”

                Chen shrugged, “maybe 10 days?”

                You could feel the tension in the bodies around you, waiting for discussion of a break out, of a plan, of anything. Mr. Im’s knuckles were white.

                Xiumin sighed, “It’s been almost exactly a fortnight since I’ve had a lay. This’ll be the longest dry spell I’ve had since I was 15.” 

                “Like any woman would go for you now with that ugly mug.” Chen shot back, poking fun at his friend.

                The observation room exhaled in disappointment, but you narrowed your eyes.

No one else noticed, no one said anything, but you swear there was something hanging in the air after those words. Something about the stillness of Chen’s shoulders, the effort he was using to stay calm and nonchalant. If you were looking for secret messages, you’d bet that was the one.

A fortnight, that was your clue.

A lay, maybe there was a woman involved, a romantic interest of Xiumin, maybe even Ha-Young?

Maybe even something to do with what happened when Xiumin was 15, maybe there was a break out then, and this was a clue to recreate it?

If only you had more about their background, about where they came from.

“Better this ugly mug than your tiny package.” Xiumin said.

As time passed, you could feel the observation room getting restless. This was a waste of time, they weren’t going to say anything, you could practically hear their thoughts. None of them had picked up on the potential goldmine, and you weren’t about to make them wise to it.

“Get him out of here, they’re done wasting my time.” Mr. Im said, striding out of the room, several other researchers following him. Soon, there was only you, Sora, Yoona, and the security guards left, albeit less the one who had pinched Chen. Apparently your threat had done the job.

You picked the blindfold back up off the table where you’d dropped it and went to head back into the room, the security guard not even challenging you this time.

The both of them looked up at you when you entered, and you felt a lot more vulnerable under Xiumin’s gaze than you ever did under Chen’s.

The battered boy smiled at you best he could, but you could see a teasing light in his eyes, “Hello.”

“Hello.” You replied.

“I’m Xiumin, what’s your name?”

You could practically feel Sora’s burning glare in your back, and no doubt she’d send Xiumin down for extra discipline for this, but screw it, you weren’t playing by her schedule. Chen looked up at you, waiting to see your response.

“My name is Agent Kang. I’m pleased to meet you, Xiumin.”

You held up the blindfold to Chen, who sighed. “Time’s up, I guess.” He nodded a goodbye at Xiumin, and stood up before you. You reached up to slip the elasticated band over his head, and you were struck again by the height different between you. It wasn’t huge, but enough. And the way he held himself made him seem much taller than he was.

“I’m going to place my hands on your neck and cuffs again, and guide you as we walk, is that ok?” You asked, hovering your hands over him before he gave the grunt you assumed was his go ahead.

As you were leading him out, you heard Xiumin’s cuffs slide over the table. You looked back, but he was still sat in his chair, watching you.

“Oh no, the pleasure was all mine, Miss Kim.”

You left quickly, getting Chen to the elevator, down to the sixth floor, and back into his room.

“Cuffs first.” The guard instructed you, handing you the key. You moved behind Chen, fiddling with the lock a little before it popped open, and you removed them. You made sure not to turn your back on Chen as you handed the cuffs to the guard, not because you thought Chen would actually do anything, but because you knew the guard would most likely report it if you acted so familiar with him.

“I’m going to take off the blindfold.” You said, just letting Chen know what you were doing, so he knew it was you who reached up to slide it off.

He blinked his eyes open, his blown pupils shrinking in the harsh light. He had such long eyelashes, it was unfair for a guy to have such pretty eyes.

You turned back to the guard and handed the blindfold to him. But still he didn’t move.

“I’m to you out.” He said.

You scoffed, “what? This is my interrogation room? I’m in here all the time by myself.”

He wasn’t phased. “I’m still to see you safely out.”

You rolled your eyes, but followed him out of the room into the observation chamber, turning to shut the door on Chen. He was still where you had left him, rubbing his wrists, watching you leave.

You looked back to the guard, “there, happy now?”

The guard grinned, “That wasn’t actually part of my job description.”

“Then wha-”

“Wanted to get a chance to talk to you alone.”

What.

He continued, “you’ve got stuff, yelling at my boys like that. Honestly,”

Oh no. Were you going to be reprimanded? Reported? You’d just been standing up for Chen but in hindsight it might have been too-

“It was pretty hot.”

What.

He was still grinning, “wanted to ask if you wanted to grab dinner with me tonight?”

What?

Men didn’t hit on you. Men hit on Hei-Ran and Yun-Hee, not you. What was this guy even thinking? He liked how you yelled at his underlings so he wanted to go out with you? Was he a submissive? Did he think you were a dominatrix or something? Was that the vibe you gave off??

How long had you been silent? Was it too long? Was it awkward now?

Judging by his easy smug smile, apparently not. He obviously thought you were going to say yes.

“Sorry, I’m really busy with work and the case, I really don’t have the time.”

“Oh come on, one dinner, you can spare a couple hours.”

“No. I can’t. I’m really not interested.”   

“Seriously?”

“Yes seriously. Now if you don’t mind, I’m going back to work. Thank you for you assistance today, but your services here are no longer required.”

You shut the door in his face and made sure it was beeped shut, no one could get back in.

You looked back at Chen, but your mind really wasn’t there. You looked at your watch and realised just how much of the day was already gone, with the meeting, moving Chen back and forth, the observation, this guard. The amount of conflict you’d had today was enormous, and you were exhausted. You wanted to ask about Ha-Young, but not when your mind was skipping away. You needed to be focused and ready to have that conversation. Sighing, you pulled out your phone.

Girls night?

Yun-Hee: YES!

Hei-Ran: Don’t leave without us, we’ll be ready in five

It was about time you let loose for an evening.

 

 

____________________________________________

Getting close to the end now! Our poor girl is torn in so many directions, wonder which way she'll end up going?