Convenient stores and chocolate

Room 306

Room number 306, Gahyeon’s room. Currently half empty, her old room mate, Kim Bora, moved out about a week ago, leaving the young girl bored and lonely. Unfortunately, all of Gahyeon's friends live a few halls down, making it impossible for her to sneak into their rooms to hang out without being caught (she’s tried one to many times). Room 306 is cold, one body doesn’t supply enough heat to keep the room at a comfortable temperature, resulting in Gahyeon owning more blankets than a normal person should. Other than the massive pile of blankets, the room is pretty empty (probably only adding to the coldness). The young girl has never been a fan of clutter, sure one or two plushies is fine (she’s only young and is still scared at night) but to her decorations seem pointless-especially on a college budget. She’s currently a freshmen at Kyung Hee college, studying history. Sure, its not the most exciting of topics but Gahyeon enjoys it never the less. Dwelling on the passed seems to be one of her specialities, the subject fits in well.

 

She has a project due in tomorrow, one she only started last night. So here she is, bare faced, unwashed hair tied into a high ponytail and pyjama clad. Sat at her desk, hunched text book and rapidly typing on her laptop. She hasn’t moved for her plastic desk chair for many hours, dinner forgotten along with self hygiene. She’s yet to fail a class (despite her procrastinating habits) and this year isn’t going to change that. Another hour passes before she finally shuts the laptop lids, her eyes adjusting to the dark room that is no longer lit by the laptop’s blue light. Moving from her position feels almost painful, her joints groan as she makes her way to her night stand to turn on her lamp. Her eyes sting when the yellow light hits them but it doesn’t bother her. Brushing her teeth seems like such a chore at this hour so she decides that missing one time wont hurt her. She goes to get in bed, her many blankets are heavy and require more effort than she has to pull back so she lies on top of them, eyes dropping as soon as her head hits the pillow but she forces them to stay open. She lies on her back for a few minuets before rolling onto her side and reaching for her phone that’s perched on her night stand. She flips it over in her hand till she finds the home button and pushes it down with her worn out fingers, 02:32 am it reads, a normal time for Gahyeon to be awake. Though she wouldn’t say it aloud, she knows that her life is a mess and not the hot kind. After setting her alarm she flicks of the light and rolls back onto her back. Insomnia isn’t a work in Gahyeon's vocabulary, she’s fast asleep before she even knows it.

 

 

 

High levels of stress and four hours of sleep lead to loss of appetite. Gahyeon survives most of the day on a packet of crackers. It’s late in the afternoon when the hunger finally kicks in, resulting in Gahyeon dragging her closest friend, Kim Minji, down to the nearest convenient store. The older girl is a senior at the college, majoring in health care. They met during Gahyeon’s first week here through the schools book club. They were the only ones attending who put more attention on the snack table than the actual book discussion which lead to them both being kicked out of the cub but the walk home from the library gave them some great time to get to know each other. Minji is one of the greatest people Gahyeon has ever met. She’d drop anything she’s doing in a second if the latter ever need her help, following the younger girls request with out a single complaint. However Gahyeon never fails to show her gratitude, constantly treating the older girl to her favourite snacks- probably the reason she struggles to make ends meet but in her books, Minji’s worth it.

 

Even though its only six o’clock, the sun has already set. The winter season has only just started but the cold has already set in. Gahyeon shivers through her thin jumper and reaches for her friends arm to hold on to.

 

“I told you to go back to your room to pick up a coat.” Minji sighs, sounding more like a mother than a best friend.

 

“Food is more important that warmth right now.” The shorter girl replies, eyes fixed on the nearing neon sign that hangs above the convenient store’s doors. When the finally step inside their rosy cheeks are hit with a wave of familiar hot air. They spend more time here than they would like to admit.

 

“I have ten dollars on me, I’ll get the food and you get any drink that contains enough caffeine to get me back to my room.” Gahyeon says, removing her arm from the other girls and heading straight towards the ramen cups. She doesn’t hesitate on choosing what flavour to take, she tried every cup the shop has to offer (she’s yet to decide if that’s something to be proud of) and she definitely has her favourite. Although she’s on a budget, dessert is never forgotten, so after visiting the snack isle she heads to the checkout, arms full of ramen and chocolate.

 

“Did you have a big project due?” The cashier asks while scanning her items. Her many visits have resulted in her befriending most the staff. Yoobin, the cashier working today, is definitely her favourite.

 

“How’d you know?”

 

“There's only two type of people who buy two pots of ramen and this much chocolate, those who had their heart broken or those who stayed up all night trying to finish their school work and you definitely haven't had any sort of romantic relationship in the last year.”

 

“For your information, I didn’t stay up all night and what was that last comment meant to mean?” Gahyeon kind of sees where she’s coming from, dating isn’t really something the younger girl succeeds in. The older girl lets out an airy laugh as she finishes scanning her items, snapping right back into her cashier persona.

 

“That will be six dollars fifty”

 

“Wait, Minji is still getting the rest.” Right on cue, the older girl reappears from behind a row of shelves holding some sort of coffee and a bag of doritos. Gahyeon can’t say no to the red head, especially when she smiles like this. So, she smiles back and gestures for her to place the items with the rest.

 

“Your total is nine dollars eighty.” Gahyeon hands over the money and proudly smiles up at Minji, she doesn’t take the subject but her maths never fails. She grabs her items and bids Yoobin goodbye, turning to head for the door. Just as she reaches for the handle something catches her eye: new cashier needed.

 

“You’re hiring?”

 

“Yeah, if you’re interested I can ask my manager if you can take the job.”

 

“That would be perfect!”

 

“No problem, I’ll let you know what they say.” Gahyeon nods and smiles at Yoobin, probably the most genuine smile she’s had in weeks, before finally opening the door and starting on her way to her room, arms once again linked with her friend’s.

 

 

 

“That will be five dollars twenty five.” Gahyeon's says as she reaches out to take the money. She started working at the store a week ago, Yoobin kept to her word and talked to her manager and within two days she was being interviewed and given a name badge. So far its been easy enough although it gets boring at times but at least its better than being cooped up in her room. She watches the customer leave before sitting back on her stool and returning to her work (she may have finally got a job but she still hasn’t got school work under control). She’s been working the evening shifts so not many people stop by. Today is especially quiet but Gahyeon’s not complaining, its the perfect opportunity for her to start her next school project. The productivity doesn’t last long, after half a hour of highlighting and note scribbling, her late nights catch up to her and before she’s even aware, she is asleep upon the pile of text books.

 

She wasn’t sure how long she was out for but a gentle hand on her shoulder wakes her. The sudden realisation of what’s happened hits her like cold water and she’s immediately wide awake.

 

“You shouldn’t work if you’re sleepy, someone could come in here and steal something,” an unfamiliar voice says. Gahyeon wipes the sleep from her eyes and looks up to see who it is. The voice belongs to a girl, she probably a year or two older than Gahyeon, taller than her too with long brown hair and a soft smile that spreads to her eyes.

 

“Yes, erm… sorry sorry. I’ll sort your items,” she mentally scolds herself for being such a mess at work

 

“Do you got to Kyung Hee college?” The taller girl asks, gesturing to the spread of text books across the counter.

 

“Yeah, I’m studying history there. Do you go too? I’ve never seen you around.”

 

“I’m not going there yet but I’m going to starting their next week.” she still smiling with that adorably soft smile, if Gahyeon was less sleepy she’d probably e drooling over her but for now she can just about focus in scanning the items.

 

“How come you’re starting half way through the year?” Gahyeon also scolds herself for asking too many questions.

 

“it’s quite complicated, there was lots of problems at my last college,” somehow she’s still smiling.

 

“it’s nice here, I’m sure you’ll enjoy it.”

 

“I will, if I get to see you around,” her smile changes to a smirk as she places her money on the counter, grabs her items and heads for the door, “keep the change.”

 

Leaving the sleepy Gahyeon as a bigger mess than she already was.

 

 

 

The week went by quickly, a blur of late nights, noodles and post-it notes (something Gahyeon has become rather familiar with). Her mind has been occupied by that girl, mainly her smile, the thought of possibly bumping into her makes her stomach flip. Crushes are stupid, she keeps repeating that to herself, they come an go quicker than the seasons, a bunch of meaningless feelings that the world has decided to name. Especially this one. Gahyeon knows nothing about this girl, how can she be so swoon over her.

 

The sound of her alarm fills the room, Gahyeon sighs as she pushes herself up onto her elbow. It should be illegal to be awake this early. She hits her snooze button and falls back onto her pillow, eyes already closing and sleep setting back in. Her alarm doesn’t wake her up the next time, it’s the hand that’s hammering against the thin wooden door that shakes her from her slumber. Grunting as she gets up and makes her way where the obnoxiously loud sound is coming from.

 

“Minji, I told you not to bother me in the morning,” her voice sounds unfamiler and quite due to her half woken brain. She fumbles with the lock and finally pulls the door open.

 

“I’m not Minji,”

 

“Oh, sorry Siyeon, I don’t really get any other visitor,” appologises the younger girl, realising how much of a loner she made her self out to be a little too late. Siyeon is the head girl at the college. Gahyeon isn’t the fondest of the girl, the feeling seems mutual. Siyeon isn’t mean, she definitely far from it, but the two girls have only ever met while Siyeon is carrying out chorus for her head girl role and when Siyeon is performing her duties she isn’t the most warm heated person.   

 

“Sounds boring,” the older girl replies, her lips pressed into a thin smile of pity, “Anyway, I came by to tell you that you’ll be getting a new room mate, her names Kim Yoohyeon.”

 

Gahyeon cant help but laugh. The odds that more than one person is joining the college in the middle of the year is one in a million. Kim Yoohyeon must be the convenient store girl that she’s been drooling about for that last week and her name definitely fits well. A pretty name for a pretty girl, with an even prettier smile.

 

 

 

Gahyeon couldn’t meet her new room mate with out a gifts. She spent an unreasonably long time deciding what to buy, reluctantly leaving the flowers after Yoobin mention that it would look more like a proposal than a friendly gift, and settled with a box of chocolates instead. Now here she is, standing outside room 306, clammy hands shaking and her heart beating scarily fast. You’re going to leave a good impression, she tells herself. They’ve met before and the taller girl seemed to like her even in the state that she was in. She knocks, breathes in and enters. Boxes fill half of the previously empty room but Yoohyeon isn’t in sight. The rooms quiet as she enters and makes her way to her side of the room. Leaving the box of chocolates on her desk and settling down on her bed. Even though she’s spent most of her time here, the room suddenly feels foreign. Venturing any further than her bed seems like an invasion of Yoohyeon’s privacy. She takes out her phone from her pocket and stares at its blank screen for a while, not really sure how to entertain herself while she waits for her room mate.

 

She gets lost though before she’s even aware. The creaking of the the door rouses her from her day dream. She looks up to see a Yoohyeon stood in the door frame, her small frame covered by a baggy t-shirt and shorts that just cover the top of her thighs. Her hair is wet and glistens under the soft lighting from the hallway and once again she’s smiling. The smile that travels up past her cheeks right to her eyes that form crescent moons. Her effortless beauty shines across the room to Gahyeon’s bed, the younger girl almost has so squint her eyes like she is looking directly at the sun.

 

“You’re the sleepy cashier, right?” Yoohyeon breaks the silence between them as she treads across the room, picking up a towel that was lying upon her bed and begins to pat out the moister from her hair.

 

“That’s me.” A Shy smile and blushing cheeks is basically Gahyeon’s brand. “It’s funny that you’re now my room mate.” You can add an awkward laughter to that list too.

 

“it’s really a big coincidence.” Another silence falls between them. The younger girl feel her cheeks turn even more red, they’re probably the only thing in the room that’s glowing brighter than Yoohyeon.

 

Her forgotten box of chocolates comes back into mind and she scurries over to her desk to grab them, feeling the older girl’s eyes follow her.

 

“I- I got these for you, they’re a welcoming gift,” she stutters while handing the box to her room mate. Then without warning, Yoohyeon is hugging her. Gahyeon stiffens at the sudden contact but allows herself to enjoy the brief moment. The older girl smells of cherry shampoo and expensive fabric softener. Her embrace is warm but not in the mother like way that she’s used to. The few seconds feel like one hundred.

 

“Chocolate’s one of my favourites, you have good taste,” Yoohyeon beams while opening the lid and starting to study the different flavours, placing one in and closing her eyes s she takes in the flavour. The scene is advert worthy.

 

“Do they taste okay?” The answer is obviously yes but for the lack conversation topics Gahyeon finds her self asking anyway.

 

“They’re amazing, here try one,” she smiles while grabbing Gahyeon's hand and turning it over so she can place the chocolate on her palm. Refusing free food is an unknown concept to the smaller girl, so she takes it from her palm and delicately places it in here mouth, trying to mirror the elegance of the other girl. The latter’s reaction was no joke, it really tastes great. Who knew Yoobin has such good knowledge of chocolate. “You look like you enjoyed it, here try another.” Gahyeon doesn’t get a chance to refuse, the older girl has already selected a flavour and this time is holding it up to the other girl’s mouth. The latter hesitates before opening and allowing her room mate to feed her the chocolate. Her cheeks feel like they are about to catch on fire and the laugh that escapes Yoohyeon’s mouth tells her that they look that way as well. The older girls laughter floats around the room, it sounds so genuine and joyful and soon Gahyeon is Laughing along too. A picture perfect scene, two strangers laughing and enjoying each other’s company. Gahyeon knows that her crush isn’t going away any time soon.

********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

i hope you enjoy the first chapter! the next one should be up in about a week or so.

I don't really know what else to say but thanks for reading

p.s. 2hyeon is real