Two-faced

Behind the Mask

"That was hilarious! The calm and responsible Student Council President is a cussing machine? How many times do you curse everyday, Pres?"

Jongdae stood dumbfounded as Minseok continue laughing his out. He can't believe that his day can be double ruined by a news no one is expecting!

"You know each other? So I guess there's no problem, Jongdae? Well, I better get going before Kris storms in here..", Tao said as he walk to the doorway.

"No, Tao! Listen! I-"

Jongdae was interrupted by a loud bang on the floor. Minseok dropped his luggage and sit confortably at the couch while smirking at Jongdae.

"Minseok, before I forgot! Here's a duplicate key for this room and another one for Kris' room. In case you need something, just break in, okay? Bye!"

", Tao-Hey wait!!!-"

Tao ran out the door and into the hallway of the dorm, disappearing before Jongdae can finish what he was saying. He still stood there while Minseok is staring at him as if burning holes in his body. Then he blinked his eyes a couple of times. Cutely. Cutely?

Jongdae doesn't know how many minutes have passed or if it is an hour. He can't believe this! What is happening to the world? Why now? Why this guy?

"So.. Jongdae.. Are you gonna stand there all night? You look funny with your mouth open wide. Silly. Anyway, where is my room?"

Jongdae was startled as he turned his head towards Minseok who is by the moment, smiling cutely at him. 'What the ?', Jongdae thought to himself as he eyed Minseok's face.

"Your room? Are you kidding me? There is only one bedroom in this room! AND I AIN'T SHARING IT WITH SOMEONE!"

"Really? But I bet, there's two bed in your bedroom right? All rooms in this dorm has two beds. Don't joke on me. You will share with me, whether you like it or not. You have no choice, Jongdae."

Minseok smiled mischievously. Jongdae paled at the thought of him in one room with this guy. Then he realized that Minseok is smiling. Never did this guy smiled before. What the?

"What's you're problem? Are you really yourself right now? Are you drunk? Are you on drugs?! Oh my god! That explains why you're smiling and all to me. Oh my god!"

Jongdae went hysterical. Mumbling inaudible words like "drug addict", "I don't want a roommate." "Is this true?!" and many more. Minseok slouched back at the sofa and looked at Jongdae as he circled around the dorm with his hands upward.

"I'm not on drugs. I'm not drunk either. You're silly, man."

"Then why are you like this? You're not like this! You're not even talking at school! Or smiling like what you are doing now. Or making expressions or emotions! Why...?"

"It's my mask, Jongdae.. You won't understand. For now, I guess. So where is OUR room?"

Minseok didn't wait for Jongdae's answer as he carried his luggage and opened a blue door. It has a sign "Jongdae's zone ONLY". Minseok chuckled as he looked at their room. It has white and grey walls. Two queen size beds. A huge walking closet with a few shoe racks on the side. A study table filled with stuffed toys, mostly dinosaurs and cats. A small table on the middle of the two beds, separating the beds from one another. Above the table is a black lampshade and a few picture frames. Adourning the walls are canvas and huge paintings.

'Wow, he is neat. It's super clean here. I think we'll get along..', Minseok thought as he put down his bag on the floor.

Jongdae burst in as soon as he saw Minseok inside.

"Okay!! I think I don't have a choice.. So you are right. Just this once! So.. Your bed is the one beside the wall, okay? I can't sleep with lights out so I sleep next to this small table over here. With the lampshade.. Put your thing in the closet, it has two sides. Mine is the left side, DO NOT OPEN IT. Lay your towels and personal belongings on the box below the closet. Put your shoes in the shoe rack, whatever you like it to be. BUT DO NOT TOUCH MY SHOES. I guess, your other things can settle on another storage so we will buy a cabinet tomorrow. REMEMBER THIS. DO NOT TOUCH MY THINGS. UNDERSTAND?"

Minseok seemed dazed on Jongdae's litany of Do's and Dont's. So Jongdae excused himself and let the boy fix his things. He decided to cook something for dinner as he skipped his way to the kitchen.

Dinner was taken in peace as both Minseok and Jongdae eat quietly. As they finished eating, Minseok insist on washing the dishes as Jongdae cleans the kitchen counter. The awkwardness is suffocating until Minseok tries to start a conversation.

"Do you really not want a roommate, Jongdae? I can talk to Kris.. I don't want to make decisions against your will. This is still your room. You know.."

Jongdae bowed his head lower. He internally debated with himself until he finally speak.

"It's not that.. I just am used to being alone. I don't have siblings to begin with. And I have been living here like that. I just am surprised by the sudden change. I'm sorry if I make you feel that way.."

Minseok smiled as he turned his back on Jongdae and wiped the plates to dry them off. Hearing Jongdae say those words made him feel like he was accepted.

"Don't worry, Jongdae. I'll try to be the best roommate that you'd ever have. Try me."


Minseok woke up to a sound of an alarm clock. Startled by the buzzing, Minseok shots up to sit and stare in oblivion. Until he finally realizes that he is in a dorm. He picked the alarm clock and pushed the off button. He stood up to fix his bed. When his foot stepped on something soft and fluffy. It is a bear. Laying  on the floor. He squint his eyes and look at the side, only to see a leg hanging on the edge of the other bed.

"Holy !", Minseok mumbled as he stared at those milky white legs. And plump thigh. It seems like his roommate is only wearing a boxer as he sleep.

Minseok can't take his eyes away as he walk closer to the upper corner of the bed. He sees a guy with messy brown hair. Some strands covering his forehead. Eyes closed with long eyelashes. Lips parted as he breaths. Cheeks blushing red probably because of the cold air from the AC.

Minseok was beyond mesmerized as he stared at Jongdae's face. What a beauty.. He then decided to take a shower and cook breakfast.
He cooked Kimchi fried rice, scrambled eggs, bacon and brew two nice cups of coffee. He thinks he needs to go to the grocery after school.

Jongdae woke up to the smell of coffee. He got up from bed. 'Who is cooking?', Jongdae run off to the kitchen only to find Minseok wearing a pink apron with cat ears as the design. Oh.. It's his roommate. Someday, he will be used to having someone living with him.

"Oh, you're awake. Breakfast is served. Now eat."

Minseok said that as coldly as he can. With no emotions written on his face as he straddled down to sit at the dining table.

Jongdae was caught off guard. But he settled down and eat. He looks at Minseok from time to time only to realize that the guy is not paying attention to him at all. What happened?

After Minseok finished eating he stands up from his seat. Washed his plate and made his way to the toilet bringing along his towel and toiletries. Jongdae looked in awe.

"Last night he was smiling cutely at me. Talking and laughing. And now he is avoiding me like I am a plague? What the is wrong with that jerk?!", Jongdae mumbled as he fill his mouth up with food.

The way to the school is rather quiet. No one is talking or looking at each other. Jongdae sat uncomfortably at Minseok's car. The cold air coming from the aircon brings shiver down his spine. And the other man doesn't seem to mind the cold. They arrived at the parking lot. As Minseok made his way out the car, Jongdae can't contain his anger.

"What the is wrong with you, Minseok? Last night, you were kind. And now you're ing around. What did I do?"

"Nothing."

"Then why are you like this? I thought we are okay."

"We are okay, Jongdae. Don't mind me."

"No! Tell me why first. Then I'd shut my mouth!"

"It's the mask. Duh."

Jongdae stopped walking and stared at Minseok's back shooting daggers of glares as the latter walked fast. Leaving him behind with his paperworks at his hand. A huge box at the other. And his bag on his shoulder. Minseok didn't even think of helping him carry the heavy box.

Jongdae stomped his feet and shouted out his lungs.

"YOU UNGRATEFUL BASTARD! KIM MINSEOK, I HATE YOU TO THE DEPTHS OF HELL!!!!"

 

****

So yeah. You will get confused why the characters are like that or why they don't fit the description at all.. But the hint is on the title of the story. They are wearing a mask for a reason. And we will find that out as the story progresses. So yeah. I guess that explains the happening in this story.

P.S. I'm writing this story based on my mood. So if there are cussing and offending word, I am truly sorry.