Three

I'm Here
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The road aligned with rows of cherry blossom tree had lead Jieqiong to a bus stop. It was dark already, but not so late that it was dangerous. Jieqiong had sat down on the bench of the bus stop, face full of smiles and pink petals stuck to her hair. Nayoung smiled at the sight. Jieqiong didn’t seem to notice that there were stray cheery blossom petals decorating her hair. It suits her, Nayoung thought. Nayoung reached out to Jieqiong’s hair, trying to remove the petals from the younger girl. Nayoung heart sunk when her fingertips couldn’t touch those strands of raven hair but went through it instead. She then remembered, no matter how much she wished for it Nayoung won’t be able to touch Jieqiong. Nayoung retreated her fingers, she clenched it tightly in front of her chest. If she could feel anything she would feel pain from her nails digging to her palm, but she couldn’t.

 

Nayoung exhaled and inhaled, over and over again. She hoped that it would help with calming her down. She need to think of something to distract herself, anything at all. Suddenly Nayoung remembered, she read about it somewhere. The cherry blossom represents the fragility and the beauty of life. It’s a reminder that life is almost overwhelmingly beautiful but that it is also tragically short. Such beautiful flower but such a sad meaning.

 

“Well that’s fitting, not like my life was anything beautiful though.” Nayoung said in a low voice, letting out bitter chuckle afterward.

 

Just when Nayoung started thinking back about her life, the bus had come. Jieqiong swiftly got up, not forgetting her pink messenger bag with her. Nayoung followed behind Jieqiong into the bus. It was quite crowded, Jieqiong had opted to stand because the lack of available seating. Nayoung looked around the bus, still staying near Jieqiong. Her eyes stopped at a little girl who was holding a stuffed frog staring back at her. Nayoung raised her eyebrow in confusion. Nayoung tried to move left and right. To her surprise, the girl followed her movement. Nayoung then came closer to the girl slowly, afraid that she might spook the little girl. The little girl instead looked up to her in wonder. Nayoung slouched down, bringing herself to the little one eye level.

 

“You can see me?” Nayoung pointed to herself.

 

The little girl nodded. Nayoung glanced to see that the girl was with her father who was fast asleep against the glass window. At least Nayoung assumed he’s her father, they did look different though. The man looked like a foreigner. Nayoung gave the girl a smile, she hopped it doesn’t look awkward, she wasn’t good at smiling. To her surprised, the little girl smiled back, showing her bunny like front teeth along with some missing teeth. Nayoung let out a small laugh seeing how cute the girl was. She wasn’t usually good with children but this girl is different, Nayoung could tell. She could see Nayoung after all.

 

“What’s your name?” Nayoung asked the girl.

“Somi.” The girl said with a grin.

“Nice to meet you Somi.”

“Nice to meet you too ghost unnie.”

“My name is Nayoung.”

 

The bus suddenly halted, making Somi hold on her stuffed frog loosen. The frog fell to the floor, Somi reached her arm out and tried to reach it but to no avail. The doll stopped at Jieqiong’s foot, hitting the side of her ankle. It drew Jieqiong’s attention, Jieqiong glanced at her foot to see a green frog doll. She reached down to retrieve it, inspecting the slightly old and beat up doll. She looked around to find a light haired girl staring at the doll. Jieqiong gazed back and forth at the girl and the frog. Jieqiong approached the girl with a big smile on her lips, crouching down to meet the little girl. She extended the doll to the girl.

 

“Is this yours?” Jieqiong asked, still smiling warmly.

 

The little girl nodded and slowly took it from Jieqiong. Somi was about to say her thanks when her dad woke up from the bus announcement. It seemed that they already reached their destination. Her father jumped out from his seat and carry Somi out of the bus. Before the bus door closed Somi exclaimed loudly to the older girls inside the bus.

 

“Bye Nayoung unnie and pretty unnie. Thank you!” she said while waving her small hand.

 

Jieqiong was happily smiling and waving back at the girl with cute bunny smile. The bus door slide closed. Jieqiong then went to sit at an empty seat since some of the passenger had left the bus. She chose a seat near the window. She thought back about how cute the little girl was.

 

“She called me pretty unnie.”

 

Jieqiong said in a low voice, a smile on her face. She was humming happily until she realized something. She jumped out slightly from her seat, back straighten and eyes wide in surprise.

 

“She said Nayoung unnie? Right?” Jieqiong questioned herself in confusion.

 

Nayoung was in panic as she witness all of this unfold before her eyes. She would be sweating bullets right now if she wasn’t a ghost that can’t perform any kind of excretion because of her lack of body. Nayoung could only hope that Jieqion

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter