One

I'm Here
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Jieqiong was skipping happily, holding a bouquet of sunflower in hand. Jieqiong stopped at a door, opening it with a smile on her face. She saw the girl that she had wanted to see all week laying still on the bed, she looked peaceful. Jieqiong saw the vase on the side table had the flowers that she brought last week still in it. Last week she had brought roses, white one. It was very beautiful and had a nice fragrant when she brought it a week ago. It was now wilted, some of the petals fallen on the surface of the table. Jieqiong took the vase and took out the wilted flower, looking at it with pity.

 

“Great job, I’m sorry.” She said before throwing it to the trashcan, a pout on her face.

 

Jieqiong went to the bathroom located inside the room and dump out the old water in the vase, refilling it with a fresh one. She placed the said vase on the end table gently and placing the fresh sunflower on the vase. She looked over the flowers proudly with a smug grin on her face. She then proceed to sit on the chair next to the bed, looking over the sleeping girl. Jieqiong was feeling mischievous. She poked the sleeping girl’s cheek with her forefinger. She giggled as she felt the softness and the bounciness of the other girl’s cheek against her finger. The girl still slept peacefully despite Jieqiong bothering her. Jieqiong then pout, she stopped poking the girl’s cheek and rest her head on the side of the bed with a sigh.

 

“Unnie.” Jieqiong called out, looking over the other girl with her hands supporting her chin.

“Nayoung Unnie…” Jieqiong called out again, almost whining.

 

Nayoung didn’t wake up, eyes still closed and as peaceful as ever. Jieqiong can only sigh, once again letting her head drop on the bed.

 

“When will you wake up unnie?” Jieqiong wondered as her eyes closed.

 

The door suddenly opened, a woman entering the room holding a clip board and a pen. She looked up from the clip board to find Jieqiong by Nayoung’s side. Jieqiong turned her head and saw the woman, smiling from ear to ear while greeting the woman.

 

“Sejeong unnie! Good afternoon!” Jieqiong said a little bit too loudly.

 

Sejeong put a finger over and Jieqiong clasped , looking guilty.

 

“Sorry unnie.” Jieqiong apologized while scratching her head.

“It’s okay, just don’t do it again. Remember that this is a hospital Jieqiong-ah.” Sejeong said with a motherly smile on her lips.

“Okay.” Jieqiong gave a salute to Sejeong.

 

Sejeong chuckled at Jieqiong’s antic before continuing her duty and checked on Nayoung. Sejeong checked Nayoung’s vital, looking at the beeping monitor beside the girl’s bed. It all looked normal. Sejeong wrote down Nayoung’s vital on her paper before clicking her pen close and putting it on her chest pocket.

 

“You came again.” She said as she checked Nayoung’s previous report.

“Of course unnie. I always come to visit Nayoung unnie.” Jieqiong said enthusiastically.

“You sure like Nayoung a lot.” Sejeong chuckled.

“Yeah, I do.” Jieqiong said with a smile.

“I do wish unnie will wake up soon though, I would love to talk to her.”

 

They both looked over Nayoung, sleeping peacefully on the bed. Breathing tube installed on her nose and IV drip on the back of her hand. Jieqiong felt her heart in pain as she saw the beautiful girl lying helplessly on the bed, the only remainder that she was alive was the beeping noise coming out from the heart monitor. If she was to take out the breathing tube and IV needle she only looked like she was sleeping, not in a state of comatose or Sejeong called it vegetative state cause Nayoung hadn’t woke up in two years. Jieqiong doesn’t really like that term though and prefer to say that Nayoung was just sleeping.

 

“Me too kiddo.” Sejeong said with a sympathetic smile.

 

They both stayed quite for a bit, staring at Nayoung with pity and uncomfortable feeling in their stomach. Sejeong then glanced at her watch, remembering that she had an appointment.

 

“I need to go kiddo, I’ll see you next week?” Sejeong questioned Jieqiong.

“Oh, I need to go too. I haven’t do any of my volunteer job and got caught up talking with Nayoung unnie before I finished it.”

“Jeez, kiddo. I bet Chungha unnie is looking for you.”

“Hehehe, Chungha unnie is nice so I’m sure she won’t be angry that I’m late.”

“I’m nice too, you know?” Sejeong puffed her cheek.

“No, you’re not. You’re a ert.” Jieqiong stuck her tongue out as she mocked Sejeong.

“Yah! I’m not.” Sejeong angrily stomped toward Jieqiong, her hands afloat, ready to tickle Jieqiong.

 

Jieqiong got up from the chair and ran toward the door, Sejeong chasing after her. Jieqiong hurriedly opened the door and exit to escape from Sejeong. She however was stunned to find Chungha standing in front of the door. Jieqiong stopped before she collide against Chungha. She was able to stop on time but Sejeong crashed into her, making the three of them piled up on the floor on top of each other. The three of them groan in pain, passerby looking at them weirdly. Chungha told them to get off her and they did as quickly as they could.

 

“What are you guys doing?” Chungha questioned them.

 

They both started to blame each other, neither wanted to back down. Chungha sighed in distress and tell them to be quiet when hospitals staff, patient and visitor gave them dirty looks. They both went silent but still glaring at each other. Chungha pinched her nose, another sigh, louder than the one before came exhaling from the mouth.

 

“Listen here, this is a hospital okay? You both should know better. Especially you Sejeong. You’re a doctor.” Chungha scolded.

“But, unnie.”

 

Sejeong expression fell. She looked like a sad puppy. Meanwhile Jieqiong had a smirk on her face and was laughing on the inside.

 

“You two better get to work.” Chungha ordered them.

“Yes…”

 

They both said at the same time as Sejeong dragged herself to the left of the hallway while Chungha followed Jieqiong to the right side of the hallway. Jieqiong then started her volunteer work in the hospital. She mostly just played with the children but sometime she also deliver mail and flower for the patient. Jieqiong was playing with the children on the hospital garden, laughing one in a while as she pushed a girl in wheelchair and other kids walking alongside her.

 

Little did Jieqiong know, someone was watching her with a smile on her face. She was sitting on one of the bench, leg crossed. Another person then sat beside her, catching the attention of the one who was watching Jieqiong.

 

“Hi, Nayoung unnie.” The girl said as she sat beside Nayoung.

“Hello Siyeon.” Nayoung said back to the beautiful black haired girl in hospital gown that was sitting beside her.

“Oh re rat? She came again.” Siyeon watched Jieqiong piggybacking a child.

“Yeah.” Nayoung said with a smile.

“How many times has it been?”

“She started volunteering a little over year ago, and she came every week. So, about 54 times.”

“You counted.” Siyeon looked at Nayoung with amazement.

“Yes, I counted. When you’re dead you don’t have much to do anyway.”

“You’re not dead though. Well, not yet.” Siyeon commented.

“I’ve been in vegetative state for two years Siyeon. I’m as good as dead, you know that.”

“Well, you’re talking to a ghost. So, you’re probably right.” Siyeon said bluntly.

“I’m sorry kiddo.” Nayoung looked down, as she realized she might have hurt Siyeon’s feeling.

“What? I’m fine. I already accept the fact that I’m dead. It’s been six months, I’m over it.” Siyeon looked at Nayoung with raised eyebrow.

“That’s good?

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter