008

Ghost

eight;

 

 

 

Flips open. Flips close. Flips open.

 

The seemingly new routine continues on for about ten minutes.

 

With his bed hair still ruffled and troubled looking face, Junhyung sits with his head on the small dining table on one corner of his living room. It was almost midnight, but since he had been sleeping all week ever since he got back from the beach, he can’t bring himself back to the slumberland.

 

Just when his finger get tired from flipping his phone over and over, his eyes rest on the day’s date on the screen. 18 Dec. Once it strikes 12, it will be Doojoon's birthday. He wonders if he should give his best friend a phone call. After their conversation earlier, Doojoon's words have been lingering in his mind. What does he mean that I should figure it out myself?

 

Finally, he gives up on that thought and gets up from his seat. He grabs the woollen sweater and beige coloured scarf resting on the couch and puts them on before heading out.

 

 

 

Christmas is coming. The streets at night are still swarming with people despite the cold weather. Without any specific direction in mind, Junhyung strolls past the stores leisurely. He occasionally glances around at the young couples surrounding him. Somehow, he feels that once he, too, was one of them.

 

Not far from where he stands, he spots a familiar figure among the crowds. Without realizing, both ends of his lips curve into a smile. His steps grow faster as he races to get to her.

 

 

 

“Hey, you.” A voice came from behind as she feels a tap on her shoulder.

 

Fantasma turns around and finds herself facing him. Her face immediately softens and bursts into a smile. “Now who’s stalking who?”

 

As if it is the most natural thing to do, he laughs along with her. The familiarity of her presence around him regardless of their first chance encounter with each other not being long ago in some way leaves him full of questions, more to himself rather than for her.

 

“Are you on your own?” she asks.

 

“Yup. You?”

 

She nods.

 

“Welcome to the forever alone club, then,” he says with a playful grin.

 

Her smile, however, fades. She turns away, avoiding his gaze. “Don’t say that,” she replies softly. “Find yourself someone good who will take care of you.”

 

He stares at the girl standing before him and tries to find the subtle meaning of her words. Why would she take his joke seriously? Why would she be genuinely worried about him?

 

“Can you accompany me somewhere?” she suddenly asks with a bright face, snapping him out of his thoughts.

 

“Of course,” replies him smiling. Who is this girl, really?



 

note: Doojoon's actual birthday is on 4th July. To suit the story more, I switched it with Junhyung's :p