006

Ghost

 

six;

 

 

The morning air in Seoul is fresh. The sky is clear with not a single cloud visible, but it is not that sunny either ―a perfect weather to stroll, or to just laze around.

 

Junhyung and Fantasma step out off the bus and breathe in the cool breeze. “Ah, winter’s coming!” she says.

 

They had taken the midnight bus back to the city. It was a last minute decision. They thought of spending the night there, but the weather was far too chilly to sleep under the stars. Besides it was too late at night to go knocking on a stranger’s door.

 

“Shall we eat first, or do you want to go home?” he asks.

 

“Go home. You’re smelly,” replies her with a straight face.

 

He laughs. He can’t remember the last time he laughed this much in a short period of time. It seems like ever since he met her, he has been laughing all day. “Alright, let’s go. I’ll walk you home.”

 

“Oh?”

 

Not realizing the change in her face expression, he continues to walk on. “Where’s your house?” asks him.

 

She answers with a voice so low that some people might not have been able to hear.

 

The street is full of people. People rushing to get to work. People rushing to go to school. People rushing to go there. People rushing to go here. Always in the rush. Watching them makes him wonder when he was one of those faceless crowds. Did he look the same? Was his expression, his gaze, as empty as theirs?

 

He glances around and sees Fantasma struggling as she tries hard to push herself through the mass of people, almost get drowned in the middle of it. He holds out his hand to her, chuckling, and pulls her to his back as soon as she grabs it. “Stay behind me,” he says while adjusting his guitar case with his other hand, not letting go of her.

 

 

 

His back is warm. It’s not that big or well-built with muscles, but it is more than enough for her. Like a shield protecting her, keeping her safe. She has always loved that part of him.

 

She continues to follow him quietly while holding on to his hand until they reach the apartment building which she calls home.

 

Letting go of her hands, he turns to face her. “We’re here,” he announces.

 

“Thank you for walking me all the way here,” says her.

 

He shakes his head lightly. “Thank you. I had a great time thanks to you.”

 

She feels her face flushes, although she is not sure whether that is possible. Quickly, she tiptoes and plants a kiss on his right cheek. “That’s for just now,” she says softly before running towards the building and disappears, leaving him behind, still dazed.