Chapter One

Past Mistakes

Kihyun glances over at Hyungwon with a delighted smile, handing him a dish to dry. The younger returns the expression, and takes the dish gladly. Kihyun can’t help but laugh breathily to himself. 

 

“It’s amazing how helpful you are when you want to be,” the vocalist teases. Hyungwon rolls his eyes at this. 

 

“Well then maybe I won’t help you out as much,” the taller fires back, “if you’re gonna be that way about it.” Despite his words, he flashes the older a gentle smile, and nudges him gently with his arm. Kihyun chuckles through pursed lips at the younger’s actions, nudging him back slightly. They share a glance, easy smiles coming to them. 

 

“Aiiish,” Minhyuk’s voice suddenly breaks through their silent happiness, causing them both to jump. “Seriously, I’m happy for you both, but you could give it a little more time before—” 

 

“Hyunwoo and I are going to the gym,” Hoseok says as he steps into the room, interrupting Minhyuk’s warning. He freezes mid-step at seeing Kihyun and Hyungwon standing so close to one another in front of the sink. The lines at the corners of his eyes seem to tighten ever so slightly at the sight. He averts his gaze, clearing his throat as he turns from the room. “Don’t wait up, we’re going to be late getting back.”

 

“Be safe, you two!” Kihyun calls after him, doing his best to sound as if he didn’t notice the reaction. “Don’t work yourselves too hard!” Hoseok hums in acknowledgment, and the sound is quickly followed by the sound of a closing door. Minhyuk doesn’t even hesitate before shooting the couple an accusatory glance and leaving the room as well. 

 

Kihyun returns his focus to washing the dishes from the day, his expression hardening. 

 

“Just give him time, hyung,” Hyungwon tells the older, his voice incredibly gentle. “This’ll be an adjustment for everyone, but for him most of all. Hoseok-hyung will get used to it, I know, and so will the rest of them. They just need time.”

 

Kihyun turns, reaching up on his tiptoes to place a grateful kiss on the taller’s cheek. 

 

“I know, Wonnie. I know.” 

 

 

Hoseok gasps out a hard breath, pulling himself up on the chin-up bar with some difficulty. His muscles have begun to ache, a sign that he’s working out past his limit tonight, but he doesn’t really mind it. He’s vaguely aware of Hyunwoo watching him from off to the side, a weary light to his eyes, but the older says nothing. 

 

The song producer heaves a heavy sigh as he finally drops from the bar. He moves wordlessly over to the bench where his water bottle sits, and pops it open to take a few gulps of water as he tries to catch his breath. The older man shifts slightly on his feet, as if unsure he should sit down as well. He does eventually, picking up a towel to wipe at his brow. 

 

“Look, Hoseok-ah,” the leader finally speaks, his voice much lower than usual. “I know what it’s like to lose Kihyunnie to someone else, but one thing you can always be sure about with him is that he knows best. I know he cares about you enough to have not caused you so much pain if he didn’t think it was for the better.”

 

He glances over at his second-in-command, studying Hoseok’s reactions to his words. They both know how well Hyunwoo can relate to his current pain, Hoseok having been the cause of it back in their debut days. Well, not directly the cause of it, mind you, but he most certainly did have a part to play in the whole debacle. 

 

“Everything will work out,” Hyunwoo goes on to assure him. He rests a comforting hand on Hoseok’s shoulder, squeezing it slightly. “I know it will.” 

 

“Just like things worked out for you and Minhyukkie?” Hoseok finds himself asking, his voice thick with emotion as a sudden attack of tears fills his vision. He bites on his lower lip to keep himself from crying, though that’s never worked too well for him. He glances over at Hyunwoo, though he isn’t exactly sure what for. 

 

“Exactly,” Hyunwoo tells him, giving the younger the softest smile he’s ever seen in all his life. The expression only serves to worsen Hoseok’s tears, a cry of utter heartbreak leaping from his lips as he throws himself into Hyunwoo’s embrace. 

 

 

 

Minhyuk groans in exasperation as he checks the time on his phone again, wondering just where the rest of the hyung line could possibly be. Surely they couldn’t still be working out, could they?

 

As if on cue, the vocalist’s phone lights up with a new message from Hyunwoo. He quickly opens it, and his heart falls only an instant later as he reads a recount of what happened while the two were working out. He clicks his tongue in annoyance, gathering his fluffy blanket in one arm and his phone charger in the next to go to Hyunwoo’s room for the night. On his way, he passes by Kihyun, Hyungwon, and the two rappers watching a movie in the living room. Minhyuk catches a glance of the new couple holding hands as they chuckle at Jooheon’s screams over a simple jump scare, and an odd, defendant rage comes to him. 

 

“I hope you’re happy, Kihyun-ssi,” he finds himself saying, glaring at the main vocalist. Kihyun turns to fire back a retort at the slightly-older, but the light in his eyes seems to dim at seeing Minhyuk’s face. This only gets the other more annoyed. “Hoseok-ah is having a breakdown at the gym right now, and Hyunwoo is having to comfort him. Now I have to fall asleep alone again tonight because of the mess you’ve made.”

 

Kihyun doesn’t say anything, a pursing of his lips being the only semblance of a response. Minhyuk groans in aggravation once more, stomping from the room and slamming the bedroom door shut behind him. Changkyun and Jooheon glance at one another, the two youngest suddenly feeling very nervous in the tense silence. 

 

“I’m going to bed,” Kihyun says softly, and then stands and leaves the room without waiting for a response. Hyungwon doesn’t even hesitate to follow. 

 

“Hyung,” Jooheon calls after Hyungwon, earning a curious glance his way. “Mind if I sleep in your bed tonight? I think you and Kihyun-hyung need some space, so I figure I should just bunk somewhere else tonight…” Hyungwon gives the younger a grateful smile, and nods before going after Kihyun. 

 

After a moment, Jooheon sighs and stretches his arms high in the air. He checks his phone for the time, and can’t help but shake his head at himself. 

 

“It is getting pretty late,” he says. He claps Changkyun on the shoulder, smiling consolingly at the maknae. “Come on, I’m sure hyung won’t mind if we share his bunk.”

 

“I think I’m just gonna wait for Hyunwoo and Hoseok-hyung to get back,” Changkyun mumbles. Jooheon hums, gaze lingering suspiciously only a second longer on the other rapper before he moves. 

 

“You don’t need to worry about them, Kkungie,” Jooheon tells him. “Everything will get back to normal soon, you’ll see.”

 

“I know, hyung,” Changkyun says, a thin smile set on his face. Jooheon nods, patting his shoulder before finally leaving him he. 

 

Changkyun sighs a sigh much heavier than should be heard from someone so young, his eyes shifting towards the front door. Anxiety fills him for his most sensitive hyung, and he can’t help but send up a silent prayer that everything does, in fact, go back to normal soon.