Chapter 1

Not Meant To Be: Silence

Author: The first chapter isn't the best I'd admit but I'm only starting the fire...

____________________________

"Hyung!"

Taehyung heard a familiar voice around him. He finally spotted Jungkook waving at him to come over near the apple shack that is owned by an old lady. The younger boy watched Taehyung as he squeezed between people to reach him.

"Is Jimin here yet?" asked Taehyung once he got to Jungkook. He shook his head; Jimin is probably running late again. So they both stayed where they were, waiting for their friend to arrive.

Looking around the area, Taehyung sighed in annoyance at the sight of too many people. Their village is one of the largest both in land and population. He was born here and throughout his 18 years of existence, he had always wanted to find a nice and quiet place to relax. But with this many people around, it was quite difficult.

"Taehyung, look," Jungkook nudged him with an interested look on his face. The place grew much more quiet. Wondering what he could be looking at, Taehyung turned his head back a little to see many people staring at the same thing. Correction: they were staring at the same person.

Kim Seokjin.

The other villagers were whispering and murmuring to each other in hushed voices. Some moved out of the way, avoiding any physical contact with the man. Taehyung was still looking at Seokjin browse through the different kinds of food when Jimin finally found his way to them.

"I'm sorry for being late!" he coughs for air since he had been rushing and running. Taehyung laughs at Jimin's state and made a few teasing comments until Jungkook pointed Seokjin out again.

"Be quiet! He's coming closer," he then whistles and turns away to make himself look normal. Seokjin stopped by the apple shack and inspects the fresh apples with a basket in his hand. The old lady running the shack tells him the price of the apples after Seokjin selected a bunch. He smiled and reached into his basket, taking out money and handing it over.

The quiet man takes his apples and left without a single word. Everyone kept their voices low in volume until Seokjin was out of sight. The place was filled with noise again and Taehyung was disturbed by Jimin.

"Taehyung, do you like Seokjin?"

"Why would I like him? He can't talk, he has no family," he thinks quickly before adding, "He's dumb..." Taehyung wasn't completely lying.

"Hey, he's not that bad..." Jimin said softly.

Everyone in the village knew that Kim Seokjin was mute. He was the only person in this crowded place with the disability to speak. That alone already made him different and out of place enough, making others avoid him. The second thing that he doesn't have is a family. No one knows what happened to Seokjin's parents or relatives and to be honest, nobody cares.

He has a few friends here and there, but none of them were close enough to Seokjin. It was almost like they were only acquainted with him and nothing else.

Now, this would've have made some people have sympathy towards him but the thing is, he seems quite happy with his life. At least that's what others think. Whenever he shows up, he brings a smile with him and waves hello, even if no one wants to say or do anything back.

"You had this different face on when you were looking at him just a while ago," Jimin pointed out. Taehyung frowned and they didn't see Jungkook walking away from them.

"It's the same face that everyone else has when he was here!" he yelled, "I don't like him!"

He has never had any connection to the silent man but he already told himself that he does not want to have anything to do with him. But that will absolutely change.

"Eh? Jungkookie?" Jimin finally realized that the youngest member of their little group was gone. Taehyung sighed then walked down the road with Jimin following him. Jungkook couldn't have gone far so they'll find him soon.

~~~

The two of them spotted Jungkook by the river with someone. He seemed to be enjoying his time over there with the way he was laughing. There's a half eaten apple in his right hand.

"Jungkook!" Taehyung shouts out loudly, startling the person that Jungkook was with. He and Jimin ran to the pair only to stop hesitate once they saw who the person was.

Seokjin smiled at them and waved, just like how he always does.

"Uh..." Taehyung starts to step back but Jungkook perks up. He pats beside him and Jimin slowly took the spot, leaving only one space left which was next to Seokjin.

The soft grass cushioned Taehyung as he sat down, giving Jungkook a glance. Why is he with Seokjin?

The older man gave an apple to Jimin, who took it and thanked him. Then he gave one to Taehyung and he declined. 'I must've sounded too harsh,' he thought to himself when he saw a hurt look on Seokjin's face.

He didn't pay much attention to it and watched as Jungkook and Jimin talk to Seokjin. Because Seokjin can't speak anything back, he wrote his responses down on a notepad for Jungkook and Jimin to read.

Taehyung didn't feel interested and he doesn't understand why Jungkook was so curious about the older male. Jimin was getting in slowly and was talking non stop, almost giving Seokjin no time to write down his thoughts.

After picking the grass for some time, he decide to leave if his friends were just going to hang around Seokjin like this. Like he had said before, he doesn't want to have any connection with someone like Seokjin.

"You're leaving already?" asked Jungkook when Taehyung brushes grass off his pants. He nods before walking away from the river. It annoyed him when they didn't leave with him. His friends only said bye to him before turning back to Seokjin.

How can they like someone like that? What made Seokjin so amusing to them?

~~~

"You're back already?" Namjoon asks when Taehyung walked inside his and Yoongi's home.

Jimin lives with Hoseok, Namjoon lives with Yoongi, and he lives with Jungkook. Even though they have different houses, it seemed as if they live in three different homes because they were very close friends. Anybody in their small group is welcome to enter each others' homes. They treat each other like family.

He explained how Seokjin appeared then Jungkook and Jimin befriended him.

"I didn't think that you'd become friends with him," Namjoon continues to work. The music sheets on his desks fluttered lightly when Taehyung huffed.

"I'm not friends with him," he mumbled before dragging himself away from the desk and into Yoongi's room. Yoongi didn't really like it when someone else sleeps in his bed but Taehyung will pay the cost after his nap.

~~~

For the past couple weeks, Seokjin had been making his own visits to Taehyung's group of friends. To be more accurate, it was mostly Jimin who is always inviting him over. The other members that hasn't met Seokjin properly had adjust to him already. They weren't too close yet, but they were able to make Seokjin smile brighter than ever.

Taehyung didn't really make an effort to know Seokjin more because he didn't want to and he didn't think that Seokjin would be around for this long. It's already known that he doesn't like the eldest but he stayed polite anyway....until now.

For Taehyung, it was getting annoying to see Seokjin almost every day now. He can't exactly pinpoint what he hates about Seokjin besides him being an outsider. Maybe it's the way he smiles or how he makes cute gestures when he doesn't have any paper and pen to explain what he's trying to say. It drove him crazy for some reason and one day, he may have lost patience.

Seokjin already went to the others' houses the previous days, so today he came to Taehyung and Jungkook's house. Jungkook left the village last evening to meet up with his parents who lives in another village which meant that it was only Taehyung alone.

The sun was just rising when he hears knocking on his front door. He had trouble sleeping last night and had a headache for almost a week now so he wasn't in a good mood when the knocking continued for another minute or two. Grumbling, Taehyung stomped to the door, knocking some things over along the way and yanked the door open.

He knew that Seokjin brought food like always but Jungkook was the one who would usually take the food and do the talking.

Today, he brought something sweet but Taehyung didn't know what since it was wrapped up. Even the delicious smell couldn't help Taehyung feel better so he snapped at him.

"Why are you so annoying? You've been knocking on my door for FOREVER and it should be obvious that I'm still sleeping! I have enoug-" he stopped when Seokjin hands him a small note with a nervous face.

Taehyung didn't even read the note.

He doesn't like seeing Seokjin at his house so he tore it up right in front of the broad shouldered man. This makes an effect when he saw how shocked Seokjin was. The way tears gathered in his eyes caused something in Taehyung's chest to throb. It doesn't stop there as Taehyung continue to hurt Seokjin's feelings.

When Seokjin looked inside the house behind the doorway that Taehyung was in, it angered him more. He knew that Seokjin was looking for Jungkook to come and help him.

"Jungkook is not going to save you. He left yesterday," he informed the latter. The food was still in Seokjin's hands and it gave Taehyung an idea.

"Here, let me help you with that," he takes the tray from Seokjin. Whatever was inside is still warm but that didn't matter to Taehyung. He drops the tray.

*CLANG!*

"Oops," Taehyung watches as blueberry muffins bounced out of the tray and onto the ground, "Oh well. It's not like anyone would eat those anyway."

He glances up to see how Seokjin's doing and it's no surprise when he's met with tears strolling down the man's face. Seokjin covered his face and ran off of Taehyung's doorstep and out of his front yard. The small gate was left open, creaking as the soft wind blows it back and forth.

When Seokjin's footsteps can't be heard anymore, Taehyung looked down and the muffins and shredded pieces of paper. Curious of what was written, he managed to piece the paper together.

The message cut off his breathing for a bit.

'I know you weren't feeling well lately so I brought you blueberry muffins. Jungkook said that you like them a lot. I hope they make you feel better! -Kim Seokjin'

~~~

"Damn, he better not tell," Taehyung muttered to himself as he runs in the same direction that Seokjin went. He's still tired and hasn't change clothes but he could care less right now.

People were just starting to leave their houses and prepare for work. Many shops had their open sign ready and all of the bakeries had their goods set out. Taehyung ran past all of those and to where Jimin lives. He's sure that Seokjin is going there to tell Jimin what he'd done and he doesn't want to get lectured or whatever Jimin has in mind.

"If that dumb mute gets me in trouble..." he trails off when he sees the river. He decides to stop running for a bit to rest and take a breather. A little break wouldn't hurt, would it?

The river bank comes into his view and he makes his way there, wanting to touch the water too. What he didn't expect was to see Seokjin sitting there like a little child. He's hugging his knees and his head is in his arms. Soft hiccups can be heard from the crying person.

"There you are," Taehyung frightened Seokjin with his sudden approach and he almost fell into the river. Almost. Taehyung steps forward but froze when Seokjin raises his head, revealing his face.

Seokjin's cheeks shone in the morning sun due to his tears with a dust of pink. His lips quivered with the smallest movement and they were so rosy and glossy. And his eyes. My, Taehyung has never seen eyes like Seokjin's before. Sure, they were brown like many others but those orbs held something much more; an untold story.

The stunned man had to shake his head before putting on his stern face again. He points at Seokjin then with said a steady voice, "Do not tell the hyungs or Jungkook about what I did. You hear that?"

Seokjin blinks a few times before nodding vigorously. Not feeling satisfied, Taehyung sighs, "I can't hear you. You have to speak."

Looking at him as if he's crazy, Seokjin furrowed his eyebrows, not understanding. So when Taehyung saw Seokjin making gestures, his face turns red from embarrassment. He couldn't believe how he forgot that the guy he hates can not speak.

"I-I was just kidding," he stutters, trying to hide his mistake. He doesn't like it when Seokjin tilts his head to one side, still trying cautious of what Taehyung might do. The adorable sight made a blush crawl it's way up to Taehyung's face, which is why he didn't like it.

He remembers what Jimin asked him from before: "Taehyung, do you like Seokjin?"

'I DO NOT LIKE HIM!' he shouts at the Jimin in his head. His eyes were shut tightly and he kept his face turned away from Seokjin, who is still sniffing from the crying.

"I'm leaving. And I'm sorry so don't cry anymore okay? Sheesh, such a crybaby," he said but there was no harm in those words. He really did want Seokjin to stop crying so he wouldn't look so sad.

'What am I so worried about anyway? Like I said, I don't like him,' he reminds himself once he's away from the river bank.

Little does he know, the throbbing in his chest is still present. His heart glowed softly as it pound against his chest...

~~~

A few days went by and luckily for Taehyung, Seokjin never mentions the incident to anyone. But he did take notice of Seokjin's change in atmosphere and expressions, especially whenever he's around. Even though the man cannot speak, he grew much more quieter whenever Taehyung's presence fills the place.

It doesn't concern him one bit though since he won't have to deal with Jimin. Unfortunately, he should've known that the others weren't blind and can also see Seokjin's minor change.

So one day, Jimin went up to Taehyung, asking him suspicious questions.

"Have you noticed that he isn't really being himself lately?" the shorter one glances at an oblivious Seokjin. No answer came up for that question.

"Doesn't he look a bit sad to you?" Jimin sounded like he's on to something, which made Taehyung sweat. He shook his head, lying because he knew that he himself was the cause of the eldest's unshed tears.

Jimin crosses his arms and gave a look of disbelief at him. Of course he wasn't going to believe him when he's sweating enough to fill buckets.

"Is there something I should know? Perhaps an explanation to why my friend is feeling so down," he wasn't even asking anything now. Taehyung was not telling him something and he will force it out if he has to.

Taehyung has always teased the smaller man even though he shouldn't since he is his hyung but Jimin isn't always so nice and forgiving. There had been one time when Jimin exploded and he was there to witness everything. That was long ago and no one brought it up since then, fearing that it will trigger something.

"Why would you think I did something to him?" he didn't choose his words wisely and Jimin took advantage of that. He knew he messed up then.

"What are you talking about? I never mentioned anything about you," Jimin spoke calmly saw how Taehyung went stiff. He taps his index finger on his chin, "Are you sure you don't know anything? I will find out, you know." Jimin looked briefly at Seokjin, indicating that he'll ask him what happened if Taehyung "doesn't have a clue."

Once he realizes that there is no way out, he tugs Jimin's shirt to follow him out of the room so Seokjin won't hear.

With no one around and no other choice, Taehyung spills the beans. He spoke at a fast pace, wanting to get it over with. As every second past, Jimin didn't grow angry, but instead became disappointed in his friend.

"I told him that I'm sorry," he concludes and Hoseok's laugh from outside could be heard faintly. Jimin pinches him suddenly and he hissed and pulled his arm out of grasp.

"That was absolutely horrible for you to do something like that. You're just like the rest of this village. Rude and disrespectful," although he showed little bitterness in his tone, Taehyung knew that Jimin only wanted him to be good-natured.

Hoseok's snorts from afar didn't fit with the mood around the two people. They simply ignored it again and Jimin finally thought of something.

"I'm still upset with you and I'll stay upset until you do me a favor," he has an amused look across his face. He then held up one finger to Taehyung, wiggling it in front of his eyes.

"One week," he states, the finger taps Taehyung's nose before retreating, "Just for one week. I want you to stay at Seokjin's house for one week."

The request slapped Taehyung in the face so he asks, "Come again?" He certain that Jimin wouldn't do something awful to him.

A series of giggles reach the ears of them. Just what is making Hoseok so happy?

"Just do it. I'm not even going to ask anymore. You're going to stay at Seokjin's house starting next week. Am I clear?" Jimin stares at the man across him for an answer.

Though Taehyung didn't know why Jimin would want him to do this, he couldn't argue with him. It was his own fault for starting this anyway so it wouldn't hurt that much to go to Seokjin's house right? One week there will be long, at least for him, but if it will make his friend feel better, then why not.

"Fine," he muttered and Jimin hugs him.

"I know you don't like Seokjin but I know what I'm doing. You'll see what I mean soon, hopefully," he pats Taehyung's back before they were interrupted by the same person once again.

This time, Hoseok was laughing so hard that he seems to have trouble breathing, even coughing here and there while clapping his hands like a seal.

"What is he doing?" Jimin sighs before stepping out of the room with Taehyung close behind. They follow the laughing until they enter the living room to find Hoseok on the ground with Seokjin giving him a glass of water.

"What's with all the noise?" Taehyung plops himself onto a nearby chair as Hoseok grabs the paper that Seokjin uses to communicate with us, basically shoving it into Jimin's face. Jimin examined it carefully for a few seconds with his eyes squinted as he focus on the words written down.

A few seconds later, he's on the ground with Hoseok, both laughing like there's no tomorrow. Taehyung wanted to know what the deal was, so he took the paper from Jimin before reading it too.

"Oh my! Where did you get all of those! They're hilarious! Seokjin, you're the best," Jimin cries out with tears pricking his eyes from too much laughing. Seokjin blushed at the compliment and smiles shyly.

Meanwhile, Taehyung is still reading the paper. He didn't realize that Seokjin was staring at him secretly, waiting for his reaction. He snort, making Seokjin's heart jump a bit.

"What the hell is this?" he tossed the paper at his friends on the ground and Hoseok catches it. He had trouble containing his laughter, but manage to explain that they were jokes.

When Taehyung heard that they were only jokes, he exaggerated, "Well, those were the lamest jokes I've ever heard in my life." He almost forgot that it was Seokjin who wrote those jokes and puns, so when he saw Seokjin turning away with his head down, he knew that he had hurt the latter once more.

A part of Taehyung want to go and apologize but his pride wouldn't let him.

Soon, Jimin pulled Seokjin away to discuss something with him.

~~~

*Knock Knock Knock*

Taehyung waits for the door to be open with some of his belongings. He didn't want this week to come, but it came and he now finds himself in front of Seokjin's house. Unlike his home, Seokjin's house was isolated even in this village with many people.

It bugged him how there was not a single house in sight; the closest ones were blocked by many trees. There's a pond not to far away and he just noticed the wide variety of flowers around the house.

Seokjin appears when he opened the door and looked down immediately, knowing very well that Taehyung only came here because Jimin wanted him to. He invited him inside and Taehyung scanned the inside of the house.

"Not bad," he mumbled to himself as Seokjin directs him to his room. The room was only a couple doors away from Seokjin's bedroom.

Seokjin didn't really feel comfortable with the idea of Taehyung staying with him for a whole week but Jimin has a way of convincing people. He was told that it was for the best and they'd get along once they get to know each other.

Taehyung sets his things on the soft bed then turned to Seokjin. He clearly does not enjoy being here and he makes sure that Seokjin can see it too. The other man steps out of the room, his arm motioning for Taehyung to follow.

"Where are we going?" he asks when they left the house. Seokjin now has a chalkboard with him and he scribbled down some words. Taehyung peered over his broad shoulder to see what he was writing.

Seokjin didn't know how close Taehyung was so when he turned his head to look at him, their noses almost bumped into each other.

While Taehyung was still reading, Seokjin flushed red and he quickly faced the other direction to hide his face. He knew that Taehyung was already very handsome from the start but seeing his face up close only featured more details. Seokjin was overwhelmed by this, causing his heart to beat faster than usual.

Then the memory resurfaced.

He recalls the day Taehyung was angry with him and that stopped his pounding heart.

"You're going to show me around? But there's no one," Taehyung finish reading the written words then glanced around. All he could see were the trees, pond, ground, and sky. What else could be here?

Seokjin took Taehyung's hand with hesitation before taking him into the thick trees.

Taehyung could only focus on how warm Seokjin's hand was. His own hand is bigger, but Seokjin's was more comforting.

'I hope this week won't turn out bad,' both men thought at the same time.