Chapter Two

Enchanted by the Flames (but more so by you)

Jungkook's huge grin greeted Yoongi as soon as he arrived at school. Yoongi returned the gesture with a shy smile of his own, but he was not used to genuine smiles from anyone, not even from his own home.

“Hello Yoongi!”

“H-hey.”

“You know, I was wondering, do you want to come out with me sometime? Maybe this weekend?”

“W-what?”

“You don't have to if you don't want to, I just thought, maybe, you'd like, to?”

“I...I would love to?”

“Awesome! I'll text you my address. Wait, I don't have your number?”

“Ah, actually I, don't actually have a phone.”

“What? You're 17, how do you not have a phone?”

“I just...I don't know.”

“Okay, well, wait, what would you want to do?”

“You choose, I've never, actually, been out? Before? With someone?”

“You what?! Okay, tell you what, meet me outside the park near school on Saturday, at like 12. That okay?”

“...yeah that should be fine?”

“Great, looking forward to it!” Jungkook flashed another huge smile.




 

Saturday arrived, and Yoongi nervously made his way to the park. He debated whether or not to tell his parents, but his decision was made as neither of them had been home since the previous morning.

Jungkook was surprisingly already there when he arrived, despite the fact that Yoongi was early.

“Hey!” Jungkook beamed.

“Ah, uh, hi.”

“So. I figured, since you haven't been out before - I still can't believe that though what the heck man, but anyway, I figured we could do like, everything?”

Yoongi blinked at him. “Okay.”

“Okay,” Jungkook repeated, “Okay, so, are you hungry?”

“Yeah, actually.”

“Great! Come on, I'll take you to this really nice café I like.”




 

The café was, in fact, really nice. It was relatively small but it had a cosy atmosphere.


 

Jungkook's smile completed the place’s ambiance.


 

Yoongi was in a trance. Jungkook's voice, Jungkook's smile, Jungkook's laugh.





 

An accidental brush of hands, Yoongi tinted pink, withdrew quickly. Jungkook didn't notice.





 

“Do you wanna watch a movie?”

Yoongi shrugged. “I don't mind. Sure.”

“Let's see if there's anything good on, let's go!”

Jungkook grabbed Yoongi's wrist, the touch electric to Yoongi, and lead them in the direction of the cinema.

 

The only interesting film didn't start for a while, so the pair went to a store to buy some cheap snacks, before sneaking them into the cinema.

Yoongi stared in awe at the huge screen, he'd never seen anything like it. He did have a computer and a TV at home, but the cinema screen was something else.

 

“How can people even think you're evil?” Jungkook chuckled.

Yoongi blushed, again. He cursed his pale skin for not letting a single emotion escape unnoticed, but he thanked the dark cinema room for concealing it.





 

It was just starting to get dark when the two emerged from the cinema, the sky not quite pink yet.

 

Yoongi didn't want to leave yet, enjoying having the genuine company.

 

Jungkook didn't mind. He enjoyed making the elder smile.



 

They ended up at the park, lost in conversation. Or lost in thought, Yoongi wasn't sure.

The park was much calmer now that it was later, however the birds were in full chorus.

 

As they were aimlessly wandering around, a dog came bounding up to them, happily barking around their feet.

“Hey little guy,” Jungkook said, crouching down to scratch its ears. Yoongi hesitantly joined him, the dog nuzzling up against his knees.

“Where's your owner?” Jungkook wondered aloud.

Right on cue, a petite girl appeared and grinned at the two boys.

“Hey, I see you found my dog.”

Jungkook stood up to greet her. “He's adorable! Or she?”

“Nah he's a boy, and he is isn't he?” She knelt down next to Yoongi who was still on the floor, her dog now in his lap.

“He seems to like you,” the girl said to Yoongi. He hummed in response, gently the dog's fur.

“Ah, I'm Jungkook by the way,” Jungkook introduced himself.

“Maya, and this is Chewbacca. Chewy for short.”

“Nice to meet you,” Jungkook smiled, “And Chewy too!”

The girl - Maya - giggled and the little Norfolk terrier, who was excitedly hopping on and off of Yoongi's lap. Yoongi couldn't help but smile at the adorable dog.

“Well, I kinda have to go now though guys, so,” Maya stood up, “it was nice meeting you Jungkook and…”

“Oh, sorry, I'm Yoongi.”

“Yoongi, right.” She smiled. “Well Chewy and I will be going now. See ya around!”

Chewy finally stopped bouncing around Yoongi and followed Maya as she turned to leave.

Yoongi's eyes followed after the dog, watching until they were gone from view.

 

“Come on, you can't sit there all day!” Jungkook said, offering Yoongi a hand up. “We should probably go now anyway. It's getting late. Ah, I should probably text my parents, they'll be getting worried.”

“Yeah…”

“Well, okay, guess I'll go now then?”

“Yeah, yeah…” Yoongi looked at his feet. “And Jungkook? Today was fun. Thank you.” He rubbed his arm and continued to stare at the floor.

Jungkook chuckled a little. “No problem! We should do this again sometime! But yeah, I gotta go, see you at school Yoongi!”

“Yeah, see you.”

 

Yoongi stood transfixed for a few moments, staring where Jungkook left.

He shook his head and headed home.

The sky was almost dark. A few clouds of orange remained in the otherwise dark blue expanse.


 

Clouds of Jungkook in his mind.


 

Jungkook.