Final

Learning to cherish

 

  

"You knew him, didn't you?" They asked.

He nodded.

He knew the man lying on the floor in his own pool of blood. The hand he held in his own cold and lifeless. The visage, so full of happiness, now expressionless. The body, so hot as he pressed his own against it, now cool as warmth ebbed away.

He knew him intimately.

"Let us handle it." They said.

He shook his head.

 

He can't be dead.

.

He can't be dead.

.

He can't...

 

"Hey you. Open your eyes. Stop playing." He said, voice steady.

No response.

"You . You got me. You win. Dammit. Wake up before I get mad." His voice started to shake, his mind beginning to process the sight in front of him.

" you. Play all you want! I'm leaving!" He now raged, his face red with anger, the left side of his cheek ticking.

They pulled him away.

He wouldn't let go of the hand.

He refused to see the deep gnash across the wrist.

"No! No! No! He's just playing don't take him away!" He begged, openly sobbing, he begged for them not to take his beloved away.

He saw them putting his beloved into a matted plastic bag on the stretcher.

He scrambled onto his feet, catching a last look at the cherubic face smeared with blood, for a last time.

The zipper closed slowly, the lovely visage gradually blur out by the matted material.

 

That er.

You er.

How dare you...

 

He was angry.

Angry with the way his lover chose to leave.

The cruelest way he chose.

No goodbyes.

No explanations.

He'll never hear his mirthful laughter again.

He'll never hold the man in his embrace again.

He'll never...

He'll never...

 

How dare you...

Take away everything from me.

Not taking me with you.

 

He cried.

The grief rising like a tsunami, crashing over him, drowning him.

He cried.

He cried till he couldn't breath.

He cried till he had no tears left.

But he cried some more.

 


***

 

Seunghyun sat up abruptly, panting as if he just ran a marathon. Hot tears were streaming down his face, his shirt drenched in perspiration.

His mind sank into a state of confusion as he realised that he was in his own bed.

 

What was happening?

 

An arm wrapped itself around his waist, attempting to pull him back to bed. He looked down and saw a chubby face with eyes closed, most probably still asleep.

As the fog slowly cleared up in his mind, he saw that this was reality but the deep, unfathomable ache was so very real.

So was the man beside him.

And he fell back to bed and snuggled into the warm embrace, unwilling to leave Daesung for even a minute to clean himself up.

Reality was good.

It is harsh but good.

He promised himself to cherish the man right next to him.

And every moment they'll spend together.

 

 

 


I didn't put this in my drabble folder because I want you to read this and learn a lesson. A friend of mine passed away and I don't know what to do with this sadness, so I wrote.

Cherish your friends, cherish those around you. You will never know when they'll be gone. Don't let them or yourself leave with any guilt or regrets.