-13-

Misfit Mismatched
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Rewrite?" Jaejoong vocalizes the shock her co-stars share. Each of them sitting on this long table with the writing team and the director are staring at the scripts they were handed moments ago and told the characters have been rewritten.

They were supposed to officially start filming tomorrow but the six main characters were called for an emergency meeting only to be told their characters have been changed.

"But what about everything we've already filmed?" Joongi gestures at himself and Seojoon and Minyoung.

"We will still use it." Says Go Eunha, the writer and producer who handpicked this group of actors. "Joongi has history with both of the women anyway. And Seojoon's scenes have been general so far. After reviewing everything we concluded we don't have to discard anything we've already filmed."

"But...why rewrite the whole movie... just because we got married..." Minyoung voices the other thought everyone is having.

As soon as they settled down and exchanged greetings, the production writers and director congratulated Changwook and Minyoung, handed the new scripts to the actors, and said that Changwook's and Minyoung's characters end up together. Obviously it hit the two concerned people the most. Neither thought their marital status should affect their work. So this is quite the blow, particularly for Minyoung who's had this fear at the back of her mind of becoming a celebrity stereotype who loses their appeal with their availability status.

"It's not about that. We've actually been considering it since you went public with your relationship." Eunha speaks to Minyoung directly, "This is a complicated web of relationships and we wanted chemistry above all else. At first we only considered having Changwook and Joongi switch characters. Then I thought of having Jaejoong and Minyoung exchange their roles. But it would look too convenient and I don't want to lose that impact of showing so much compatibility between Ji Changwook and Park Minyoung only for the two to not end up together."

The director Kang Jisung then continues, "So we've decided to do it this way. Changwook and Taejoon exchange their roles situationally. As in that's how you both are connected to the other characters. Now Jaejoong and Taejoon will have that hate-turned-love relationship while on the verge of rekindling her old relationship with Joongi. And Minyoung is stuck between Seojoon and Changwook and you know who she ends up with."

"Aw... even after this I end up alone." Joongi quips with a fake mournful tone. "It's okay hyung. You still have me." Seojoon even cuddles Joongi who accepts it with exaggerated affection.

"Now that's the kind of rewriting I'm on board with." Jaejoong declares.

"So are we all on board? With the new script I mean... not this new bromance. Maybe in a sequel." Eunha asks and the actors readily agree. "Okay then, we begin tomorrow. I look forward to working with everyone. And again sorry for the last minute changes."

They exchange greetings and take their leave. The actors discuss the new changes in the script on the way to their respective vehicles.

But Minyoung is unusually quiet. Jaejoong is the first to notice and winds her arm around hers. "Do you want to come shopping for Minnie's new clothes with me?" Minyoung brightens up and nods excitedly.

"Oooh! Where are we going?" The girls look at Changwook who just spoke thinking he's invited.

"Uh... no! I don't trust your choice after you bought back that stupid t-shirt for my baby." Jaejoong sasses dragging Minyoung to her car leaving Changwook in the dust.

"What t-shirt did you get?" Changwook looks at Taejoon who asked and the other two men who are waiting in curiosity. Changwook confesses naively, "A I♡Dad t-shirt... Daejang loved it."

They shake their heads going back to their vehicles. Taejoon does more, clicking his tongue. "It's like you don't know Jaejoong."

 ~~~

"I thought we're going shopping for your son?"

"We are. But my son's father has to bring him here first." Jaejoong releases the straw of her fancy sugary drink. "Changmin's in this fashionista phase. He doesn't wear anything he hasn't picked."

"That may have to do with everyone dressing him up in a deer theme." Minyoung says that but she's guilty of gifting Changmin two stuffed deer herself. But what can all of them do when he looks like a cute little deer.

 Just the thought of wide eyes discovering the world, tiny hands that clutch your finger or shirt, and those soft giggles... damn she wants one for herself.

"Pretty weird right..." Minyoung is snapped out of her thought when Jaejoong's voice. "Huh?"

"The movie... It's so weird they changed the script."

Minyoung nods in understanding. "To be honest I liked the previous script better. Writer-nim is expecting us to recreate our real life chemistry on camera. But both our characters end up with the guys that we are at odds with. But Chang I never started like that. We just... smoothed into it..."

"smooth?" Scoffs Jaejoong, "You were a miserable and irritable piece of !"

 "Hey!"

 "Don't deny it! You began regretting distancing yourself from him less than a month after you placed that condition. And you kept whining our ears off because he kept his end of the deal and didn't communicate with you till you got out of character. And it was always bad timing with you. One time I was seeing Yunho after two months and you called right when we were getting to the good part... well, he was getting to my good part."

"Okay TMI... and why didn't you just ignore my call?"

"I did... I ignored you seven times. I thought you were dying or something."

Minyoung winces, vague memories of that year in her life coming back to haunt her. Yeah she was miserable because she realised she liked the guy who asked her out as soon as he accepted her request. And she was ranting to her friends or snapping at her team when she heard those rumours of him dating other female celebrities.

She was normal again in a few months and forgot all about it until that day he called he called her and asked if she wanted to come to his place for a drink. She did go to his house, deciding to keep it friendly and casual until he subtly informed her that it was exactly a year after their first kiss... on a cold winter's day… on a rooftop... with fake snow...a beanie over her eyes... and cameras pointing at them. And then he asked if she wanted to celebrate the anniversary of their first kiss together. And how could she ruin their anniversary? They are meant to be celebrated. So they commemorated that day and many more after that.

"You are remembering the day you officially started going out aren't you?"

Minyoung's mouth curls in annoyance when her blissful memory is interrupted by Jaejoong. "I reiterate, there's no similarities between my real love story and my character's."

"I'm sorry, is my character an outcast falling in love with a rebellious delinquent before I become famous and he becomes a soldier?" Jaejoong takes a long of her drink as if she's out of breath, "My point is, our stories are eventful like our characters. Either way, not like you and I are friends turned enemies turned friends again."

"FYI when you hit me with the cake, try to be gentle."

"Did you not get to that part yet? They've changed it to me spraying you with dish soap."

"Damn! But I love cake!"

"Looks like they had to adapt to the change of scenery too. I'm so glad I gave birth months ago. Can you imagine what kind of rewrite they'd do if one of us was pregnant?"

Minyoung choked violently on her drink as soon as Jaejoong suggested that. The idol calmly held a tissue to Minyoung's nose that's leaking minty blue soda. It takes five minutes till Minyoung finally get a sense of relief but the near feeling of being frozen from the inside of her head has made her forget what made her lose focus on a basic function of drinking.

Of course Jaejoong is there to oh so helpfully remind her. "Are you pregnant?"

Minyoung looks at her wide-eyed, unintentionally confirming it for Jaejoong. She had only taken a shot in the dark. She wasn't expecting that Minyoung is behaving out of sorts because of something this huge.

"You're pregnant!"

"No!... I mean... I'm not sure..." Minyoung slumps, dis disheartened "I think I might be."

"Okay... now I'm confused. Should I be happy for you or not?"

Minyoung looks around furtively for any eavesdropping busybodies even though they're in a corner of a very empty cafe. But she wants to be sure. So she leans forward and speaks in a low voice. "This... might sound weird but... after the wedding... when he and I were back home...we were kind of joking around about a wedding night baby."

 "Did you make a wedding night baby?" Minyoung hisses at her when she said it out too loud for her liking. Jaejoong is much too excited about this than Minyoung is feeling right now. Actually she was excited till she found out the writers changed the script to accommodate her relationship with Changwook. "I don't know okay... we just tried it and we weren't exactly using protection on the honeymoon either... Also... I've skipped taking my birth control pill for a few months now..."

"So what happened?"

"It's been more than a month... I'm late... by two days actually but it's never happened with me."

"Why do you sound like you don't want this?"

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter