Ending Scene

In My Dreams
Please log in to read the full chapter

They say that the worst kind of sadness is the one that cannot be explained. Sohye woke up again this morning with the same odd pain in her chest. Tears streaming down her face like waterfalls. The dream she must have had but never recalls. It’s strange how the sensation that she lost something important lingers, even after waking up.

But why am I crying? She wondered. Touching her damp cheeks with her fingertips.

One thing is for sure though… Her dreams are about a boy around her age. Even if she tries, she can never get his name and his face fades away the moment she wakes up. The memory vanishes into thin air like a puff of smoke. Well, he’s not real anyways. Just the thought of it brought an unexplainable feeling of melancholy. As if deep insider of her, she wants him to be real.

Sohye had the same dream since she was young. It began when she was 10. Her grandmother told her that there is a red thread wrapped around our pinky finger, connecting two souls together. Regardless of time, place or circumstances. This magical chord may stretch or tangle, but never break.

“What is the red thread for?” A younger Sohye asked. Infinite curiosity sparkling in her eyes.

He grandmother smiled tenderly “The two souls are destined to be lovers. Someday, somehow, they will find each other” she replied.

She had her first dream about him that night. Both sat in a comfortable silence, watching the sunset on a dreamlike place she knew didn’t exist because it surely looked like heaven.

Sohye can’t recall how or why but, every day, she found herself eager to go to sleep just to see the strange boy in her dreams. She doesn’t remember their conversations, or even his face. But it feels like she knows him like the back of her hand, he is so familiar yet so mysterious. it’s strange how she knows everything but nothing at all.

With a deep sigh, she tossed her blankets and jumped out of the bed. It was the first day of school and she didn’t want to be late. Her friends would be waiting for her at the train station and they’d kill her if she arrived late.

She took her towel and closed the bathroom door behind her. maybe a cold shower will help her get rid of the anxiety that the strange dream brought her. All she could remember after waking up are feelings. His touch was sublime, soft and delicate as feathers. His eyes were dark as the night sky but shone as bright as a galaxy.

Remembering his face was like staring at the night sky. Even if she tried to connect the stars together, she couldn’t see the constellation.

Who was this boy?

There is one thing she remembers though; when she was fifteen, he was about to steal her first kiss. And she was more than willing to let him do it. sadly, when their lips grazed, she jolted awake; the same feeling of despair consuming her.

She didn’t even know what she felt at this point. Sohye shook her head to get rid of her hazy memories. She didn’t really feel like going to school either, summer vacations were surely short.

Changing into her school uniform, she rushed down the stairs and grabbed her backpack.

“Morning Sohye, are you having breakfast?” Her mom called out from the kitchen. She was making egg sandwiches and it smelled delicious. She mentally kicked herself for taking too long on the shower. now she’s going to miss out an amazing meal.

“Sorry mom, gotta run. You know Chanmi and Jimin will kill me if I’m late” She said, taking a piece of bread from the table as her breakfast.

“It’s fine honey, just remember to eat a proper meal as soon as you get to school” her mom sighed. Her daughter was always so… Careless.

“Sure, sure. I have to go. See you mom!” Sohye shut the door behind her and started to make a run for the station. She had about 3 minutes left before Jimin and Chanmi murdered her for being late again.

Please log in to read the full chapter