DAL: The Press Conference

Gazing at the Moon

The soft, crackling sound of piano being played on the speakers over head flowed through the conference hall in Apgujeong-CGV. There were hushed murmurs from the crowd as they waited for the emcee to finally announce the beginning of the event.

 

A woman of short stature, known for her "square shaped" face walked up the stairs to the podium in the side of the low makeshift stage.

 

"Hello everyone. Thank You for patiently waiting and for coming to the event. My name is Park Kyung Lim and I will be the host for this afternoon." The emcee momentarily paused and acknowledged the audience's applause while taking note of the group of people slowly filtering in from the side of the stage. "Director Shin Su-won, most known for her short films acknowledged by the Cannes Film Festival that depict realism of life's problems has come back with a new creation that will for sure move our hearts once again. A melodrama. A relatable story about womanhood and the growing pains of living in today's society. DAL."

 

 And with that, Park Kyung Lim stepped away from the microphone as the lights dimmed and the trailer of the film that was being introduced to the crowd was shown up above the stage on the hanging projector.

 

As the overview of the movie reached its end, the event organizer promptly cued the actors to enter the stage once the lights came back on. One by one, the actors stepped on to the stage with the introduction of Park Kyung Lim. Though the lights in the room were already on, it was further illuminated by the irregular, blinding flashes from the invited photographers that sat in the front portion of the room, ensuring that they were able to take individual and group shots of the cast.

 

From the stage, Nam Ji Hyun maintained her smile and composure amidst the tear-inducing commotion from the cameras. Casually adjusting the skirt of her flared, vintage-flower dress that alluded to the slow change of the season, she slightly bowed her head in order to subtly take a deep breath to calm her beating heart. Almost bursting from her chest, the actress couldn't hide a slight shake in her body. It wasn't out of nervousness or apprehension. She was filled with an all encompassing feeling of anticipation.

 

This film project was a new endeavor she had taken on with some hesitance after taking a break to finish off school. Though she did some advertisements between then and now, this was her first full fledged production that she had committed to after college, her first commitment as a full-time actress. It had initially taken her a bit of time to get a hang of filming again but it always comes back, the love for this field that had caused her to remain and pursue this career since she was 9 years old and the experience that has come with that now that she was almost 24 years old. But this time, she felt there was more she had to offer from what she's learned in her time to recollect herself since her last project.

 

For the time to finally come in which the amount of her self that she had poured into this project in the past couple of months come into fruition and be shared to the public, it left her restless. And now, this project marked the entry into the title of an "official actress, Nam Ji Hyun" without any hyphenated descriptors (childstar)…or at least thats what she hoped.

 

Breaking her out of her thoughts, she felt a hand in the small of her head prompting her to sit down at the chairs lined up behind them to sit for interviewing.

 

"You okay, Jihyun-ah?" Seo Kang Joon quietly asked after nudging her as the rest of her coworkers sat down,

 

"Oh, oppa. I just spaced out for a bit," Jihyun stared up at his light brown eyes and smiled at his concern. "I was just thinking about how I can’t wait to show our work to everyone."

 

"I know...hwaiting to us!" Kang Joon put up his fists in determination.

 

"That's right! Hwaiting!" Nam Ji Hyun mimicked Kang Joon and laughed.

 

"Children! Hush," Jo Jae Yoon interjected, reprimanding them jokingly.

 

"Ne, Seonsaengnim…," the two young actors responded in a mocking tone but followed his directions as staff gave the actors some microphones along with the director who had accompanied them on stage.

 

Starting with introductions, the director who was sitting close to the emcee initiated the talk, "Annyounghaseyo, I am Shin-Su Won, the director of 'DAL.'

 

Beside her, a known mischievous looking man then introduced himself with a serious face, "I'm Jo Jae Yoon and I am a highschool student in the same school as Kang Joon and Jihyun…"

 

A collective sound of jeering came from the people of the press and the crew. Park Kyung Lim said while laughing, "Let's not even kid around with the impossible ne? Come back to your senses, Jae Yoon-sshi."

 

"Aye, a lot of the staff have told me they get confused sometimes. But ok fine, I am the homeroom highschool teacher of Hyo-Jeong, Jihyun's character," Jae Yoon mock-grudgingly conceded. " I work to guide the students to reach their dreams."

 

Beside him followed the handsome, young actor from 5surprise, "I am Actor Seo Kang Joon and I play Kim Byeong-Su, a boy who is fully of energy and life but also is lacking a lot, especially in noticing the situations around him. Please look forward to this character's antics, mistakes and growth."

 

At Nam Ji Hyun's turn, she simply stated, "I am Nam Ji Hyun and I play Han Hyo-Jeong, a dutiful daughter to her parents and a diligent student."

 

After her was a women she had previously worked with in a drama called Angel Eyes. Playing a mother to Nam Ji Hyun this time around, Kim- Yeo Jin introduced herself as someone who hoped to support their daughter alongside actor Cho Jin-Woong's character as the father.

 

Moving on to the questions, Kyung Lim inquired, "Director Shin Su-Won-sshi, this is your second time naming a film after something from outer space, the first being: Pluto. Is there any reason? Will you be making it into a series of sorts?"

 

The director responded, " I want to say it was a coincidence in regards to its connection with my past work. It just had really fit into the overall theme/ concept of what I had imagined about this film which focuses on the interactions of Jihyun's character with the others and the impact that comes from that. One of the major points is her interactions with her parents and her struggle with her role as a daughter which really dictates her decisions and actions on other aspects of her life. The moon (dal) is known to be the main source of illumination for what lays within the darkness and we will see how true that becomes for our Hyo-Jeong-ah. I also took into account the closeness it had with the word daughter (ddal). So with those play in words, it really just all connected."

 

"Ah,I had not thought of that! That's amazing," the emcee said. " So, will the story mainly revolve around Jihyun-sshi then, Director-nim?"

 

"Her role is integral in the plot but all the others who do have some connection with her in some way all have a story that allow the audience into their psyche."

 

" Thank you for that insightful answer, Director," Kyung-Lim then directed her attention to Seo Kang-Joon. "Kang Joon-sshi, what is your relationship with Jihyun in this film?"

 

 

"I am someone who is between a friend and an acquaintance to Hyo-Jeong-ah who is also my next door neighbor," answered the 5surprise actor.

 

"So will you guys have a 'some' connection then?" She probed for further details.

 

"Maybe? In a way? It's hard to explain but if you watch you will understand why I answer in that way," Kang Joon replied.

 

"Aye, Kang Joon-sshi! Stop teasing us…" Kyung-Lim moved to ask the same question to Nam Ji Hyun hoping for more information out of her.

 

"I would have to answer the same thing as Kang Joon-oppa," she politely responded.

 

"These actors are doing their best to make us want to watch the film, ne?" The emcee directed her question to the audience. "How about in real life then? I know you have worked with Kang Joon before in a drama along with the fact that I've heard you have kept in contact since. Any parallels between there and your relationship in the film?"

 

"Hyo-jeong and Byeong-Su constantly change and develop in the film due to each other but somehow a distance seems to always exist. In real life, Kang Joon oppa and I are better friends than our characters. He has really been a good support and took care of me in the set and with the scenes along with the other sunbae-nims."

 

Kang Joon nudged Jihyun subtly in the shoulder in reaction to her response, " Anniyo, Jihyun is a big sunbae to me and she's the one who actually really helped me along with the others. I already knew what she could do before, through 'What Happens With My Family' drama  but there were some really heavy scenes in the script that I couldn't imagine being realized. Jihyun-ah made it come alive. I have a lot to learn from her." The actor turned his body in his seat to bow towards the young actress.

 

Flustered, she shook her hands in denial and holding the microphone that was in her lap, sheepishly said, "Oppa! Stop saying nonsense!" She lightly slapped him in the shoulder. "I'm getting embarrassed in front of all the other great sunbae-nims."

 

Kim Yeo-jin, who plays the mother in the film, suddenly interjected, "Aigoo, these young ones flirting…" She laughed at the two young actors' responses.

 

The questions were soon directed to the other actors and provided further elaboration and material for the press to use in reports of the film.

 

"Please look forward to the movie on its release in October. Thank you very much," Director Shin Su-Won said to the press as a closing statement. Her head bowed down first and the rest of the cast followed suit.


 

A thick stack of bulkily packed portfolios was on the wooden bedside table of the popular, sought- after actor, Ji Chang Wook. They were scripts sent to him from various production agencies in hopes their project would be positively considered to have him as their actor. Placed there for him to review when he has time, he was currently reclined on a pillow propped against his headboard, holding a folded packet on one hand angled towards the light from a lamp. Adjusting the black rimmed glasses resting on his nose, he murmured a few lines of the script for his upcoming project in order to work on memorizing it.

 

Flipping through the next page, he diligently went over the paper and practiced the lines under his breath. Whilst he tucked another piece of paper to the back, his phone made a "ding" sound.

 

His eyes still trained on the paper, he pulled on the handle of the drawer of his nightstand. Halfheartedly feeling around until he felt his phone, he finally set aside the script momentarily to look at who sent the text. Unlocking his phone he saw it was a file attachment of a brief schedule update from his manager for the following month.

 

Scanning it quickly, among the dates and times for pictorials of products he sponsors along with some fashion magazine shoots, written in between was a VIP Premiere appearance.

 

SEPTEMBER 22: VIP Premiere "DAL"