five

Astral

Inna walked into her first period with her breath bated. She didn't want to face her gruff partner and especially not his friend either, and when she was getting ready for class, she groaned several times in anxiousness. Of course, there was nothing wrong with either of them, but she preferred to avoid them, due to her natural disposition to become slightly nervous towards the both of them. 

Inna was naturally awkward at times, but whenever she was with the two of them, she just found it unbearably uncomfortable and hated the vibe that she felt around them. They weren't exactly mean to her, but they also didn't make any attempts to befriend her, so it was incredibly unnerving for her to be around them. 

"Good morning," she greeted Jimin with sweaty palms, as she pulled out her chair and sat down. 

"Morning," he replied drowsily, barely meeting his eyes with her's. "Did you decide when you wanted to come to my dorm?" 

"Oh, any day this week would be fine," Inna said, and he groaned. 

"Fine, just come today so we can get it over with," Jimin mumbled, and she immediately tensed up.

"O-okay," she stuttered, wondering if she had annoyed him, based on the breathy groan he let out. 

The two stopped talking, and Inna merely sat there quietly, counting the minutes until class would start. She could hear some girls whispering about Jimin, who was sprawled across his desk with his eyes closed, and Inna swore that she could hear him snoring softly. 

Although it didn't initially bother her that she wasn't all that friendly with her seatmate, she was starting to feel slightly wishful for their relationship to become better. She wasn't looking for anything more than that, but Jimin was quite indifferent towards her, so even becoming his friend was apparently an impressive feat, or at least, in Inna's eyes, it was.

She sat in her seat, awkwardly fiddling with her fingers, until she heard the door open. Instictively, she raised her head and expected to see the teacher, but instead, it was merely Jungkook, and a wave of disappointment crashed over her. 

"Good morning Jungkook!" The girls squealed, and he gave them a tired glance, before cheerfully greeting them back. 

"Good morning everyone!"

Inna stared in amazement. How was he so nice to the other girls? He seemed to be a lot different than how she remembered him to be, but then again, she only saw a snippet of what he was like anyway. Perhaps he wasn't the overconfident, arrogant dude that she remembered? 

Despite that, she was a bit skeptical. He definitely seemed to be a bit cocky, based on her previous encounter with him, but his shifting attitude confused her greatly. 

Inna wanted to know more about who he truly was, but she noticed that the teacher had walked in, so she carefully woke Jimin up and brought out her textbook. It'd have to wait for later, she guessed.

 

 

***

 

 

Time seemed to flow by extremely quickly - that is, until Inna reached her last period of the day. She remembered that seating was arranged the other day, and that she'd actually have to sit next to Jungkook, but the feeling of anxiousness for what was to follow outweighed any discomfort that she may have felt from the arrangement. 

Settling into her seat, she noticed that Jungkook hadn't arrived yet, but she absolutely dreaded it; she hated having to face the brunt of all the other girls' vicious stares and she didn't even ask to sit next to him in the first place! Inna sighed tiredly, as she pulled out her notebook and flipped to the next blank page. 

There had to be a limit to her bad luck, right? She didn't particularly ask to be affiliated with any of the popular boys in the school, but for some reason, they just somehow came into contact with her and that's when her (supposedly) peaceful high school life came to a close. She merely wanted to escape the pressure of coming from a renowned family, but instead was met with a different kind of pressure: the pressure of being a high school girl. 

Letting out another sigh, she ignored the squeals coming from the girls in her class, not even daring to look up because she just knew that Jungkook had come in and he was the reason why everyone became so excited. 

"Hey Inna," he greeted, and she gently looked up and gave him an awkward nod. 

"Hi," she said back, wishing that class would be over already. She couldn't even bear to be in the same dorm as him later on in the day. 

"How's it been?" Jungkook asked, flashing her a toothy grin.

Inna was caught off guard. Was he genuinely trying to ask her a lighthearted question or was he just living up to his image of being a pretty boy with a great personality and intelligence? 

"Oh, it's been well," she replied casually. "You?"  

"It's been great, I hear you're coming to my dorm today because of Jimin?" 

Inna scowled internally. Did he really have to say it in a way that insinuated something else, something she'd never do with Jimin? 

"Yes," she answered back calmly, unwilling to show weakness towards him. "We have a history project to work on, so I hope I won't be bothering you or Taehyung." If there was one thing Inna was good at in awkward situations, it was her ability to stay calm and cool. 

Jungkook smiled mischievously, and she couldn't miss the glint in his eyes as he nodded back in response. For some reason, it left a cold chill down her spine and she wondered how she could ever see such beauty in him, especially in the twinkles that glittered his eyes. 

Unwilling to be played in his hands any longer, she immediately turned to the front of the classroom and was met with glaring females, obviously unhappy with her exchange with Jungkook. Not only did he make it look like she was in some sort of a fling with Jimin, she assumed that they weren't happy that he was talking to her either, and she wanted to just go back to her dorm and bury herself into her blankets. 

But things just never turn out to be how she wants them to.

 

 

***

 

 

After class had ended, Inna packed up her things and got ready to head back to her dorm before making her way to Jimin's. She was just going to grab some supplies she thought they would need, like scissors, glue, rulers, and the usual. Despite that, Jungkook said goodbye to her before she left and added a quick 'I'll see you later' to which Inna politely affirmed, but silently groaned at. 

She couldn't help but avoid looking at others as she quickly walked out of class, ready to just be alone - or at least be in the comfort of someone that she was particularly at ease with. Once she got back, however, she saw that Jion wasn't there and felt slightly disappointed. She just wanted to talk about what had happened to someone who'a actually listen and understand, but her other roommates merely focused on the superficial aspects of things and they weren't quite as honest as Jion was. Inna also didn't feel comfortable with their fixation on her family. 

Shaking her thoughts out of her head, she gathered the supplies she thought would be relatively needed and packed them all into a tote that she had lying in her closet. Admittedly, she was afraid of going because she wasn't quite close with any of the three and so far, her only impression on Jimin was that he was very intimidating. 

Inna double checked that she had everything she needed in her bag and quickly grabbed a snack from the pantry before leaving the dorm. Based on how quiet it was when she left, it seemed like she was the only one there the whole time, which was quite relieving, but now that she was on her way to Jimin's, she felt her heart starting to pound a bit harder and harder with each step she took. 

He had texted her his dorm number the morning of and it was luckily not too far from her side of the dorms, but that meant that the walk would be shorter and she'd have to see them much sooner - something that she dreaded. Inna had thought about it a lot, but unlike her extrovert brother, she was as introverted as the Yang family would allow her to be, and even now, she relatively disliked meeting new people. 

It was always superficial having to deal with the same questions about her family, having to ignore the same awestruck stare they gave her, and the expectations they had for her that weighed her down. There was always an image to uphold and it gradually tired her out over the years. 

Nervously, she snapped out of her thoughts as she found herself already standing in front of Jimin's dorm room, biting her lip anxiously as she knocked on the door. 

"Hello?" It was Taehyung that opened the door and she was moderately surprised. He always came to class looking very well-kempt, oftentimes donning outfits that accentuated his body type, but right there, standing in front of her was a boy with beat up sweat pants and a sweatshirt that looked dustier the longer she looked at it. "Oh, hey Inna." 

"Hello Taehyung," she greeted politely, pushing all her thoughts away from her. She couldn't believe herself. She said she was going to try not to judge others, but what was she doing judging Taehyung over what he liked to wear in his own dorm?! She merely hoped that he didn't notice. 

"Come in," he said, making space to let her in. From first glance, they were right when they said that their dorm was big. Even though it looked pretty much the same as her own dorm, it just felt bigger somehow and she stared in awe, wondering what it was that made hers look smaller compared to theirs. "I'll call Jimin for you." 

"Oh, thank you," Inna smiled gently, and Taehyung nodded in reciprocation before calling his roommate's name. 

Jimin answered back a minute later, saying that he'd come out in a minute and Taehyung merely sighed. "Well, you can sit on the couch," he gestured to the sleek, white leather couch that sat in their living room. "Would you like a drink?" 

"Oh, no I'm fine, thank you," she said, and sat there quietly, fidgeting with her fingers. She felt incredibly awkward just sitting in a dorm that belonged to people she didn't know all that well, and hoped that her and Jimin would finish the project quickly, so that she could leave right away. After a few more minutes, Jimin came out of his room with wet hair, a towel haphazardly thrown onto his head. 

"Sorry, I was in the shower. Did I make you wait too long?" He asked gruffly and Inna shook her head profusely. 

"Oh no, don't worry about it, Taehyung kept me company," she said, and the brown haired male sent a small smile before getting up and making his way back to his room. 

"Alright cool," Jimin responded back indifferently. "Okay, so I have some supplies, did you bring any?" 

"Oh yeah," Inna nodded, opening up her tote and showing him everything she brought. "I just had some basic things with me." 

"Okay perfect," he said, sifting through the items in her bag. "That's basically everything we need. So what did you research-"

While Jimin was talking, he happened to be interrupted by a very loud moan that came from the room opposite of Jimin's, and Inna turned red with shock as she realized that it was a female's voice. 

"Oh sorry," Jimin mumbled, clearly annoyed. "That's Jungkook and some random girl. Lemme quiet them down real quickly."

Inna was about to say something, but he already stood up and knocked on the door with a loud pound. "Hey, quiet down, there's actually other people in this house you know?" 

With another huff of irritation, he sat back down on the couch, next to Inna and pulled out his laptop. "Anyway, this is what I've compiled for the research, would you like to take a look at it?" 

She nodded awkwardly, leaning forward to peruse the information he found, but it was hard to concentrate when the moans kept going. Jimin didn't seem too particularly fazed by it, which made her wonder how often this happened, but she didn't dare ask. "This is good," she said, mostly just to be polite. She barely remembered a word from it. "Here's my research. It's, uh, similar." 

She pulled out her own laptop and allowed him to look through the information that she had composed over the course of the past few days and Jimin scanned it intently, highlighting little phrases and making various electronic comments throughout. "That's good, we can use a lot of it," he nodded firmly, making Inna feel pleased. 

They talked about how to put it all together in the next ten minutes, but were once again interrupted by the sound of a door opening, and two people walking out. Inna knew the guy to be Jungkook, but she had never seen the girl before. They both had messy, disheveled hair (probably from what they were doing), but the girl was still quite attractive, even though her makeup was slightly smudged and her clothes were quite wrinkled. 

"I'll see you later," Jungkook smiled coyly and the female merely chuckled in response, before leaving. Jungkook closed the door behind her, and Inna meant to turn her head back to what she was doing but her gaze was locked on one thing. 

When he turned around, they made eye contact, and she couldn't break herself from his gaze. 

But his eyes twinkled just as brightly as how she remembered them to.