1st -

sightless

 

 

 

 

“Do I look okay?”

 

 

Minseok turned around for Jongdae, even knocking some of his friends’ plants on the table in the process. He lets out a small – oops, sorry Dae. – before smiling at the wall. Luhan smiled sadly, but brushed it off when Minseok chuckled at his clumsiness. The latter couldn’t feel the sudden drop of aura inside the room and continued brushing off his hair and asking everyone if he looked good. Of course, he looked good. To be honest, Minseok looked great. But too bad Minseok himself couldn’t see it. Tao tried to stop his tears from falling – out of their group, Tao has been known to be the most emotional – as Kris pats his back comfortingly. Minseok cocked his head back confusingly, sensing that no one answered his questions.

 

 

“Yah! Why did no one answered?’

 

 

Junmyeon looked at him sympathetically before answering. “You look great, hyung.”

 

 

The whole room brightened up once they all saw the man smiled at the comment.

 

 

 

 

“So, what would you like to order?” Jongdae asked. He was scanning through the menu, wanting to find something suitable for Minseok’s taste. Minseok was fidgetting, - he always fidgets when he’s nervous – sometimes all of his friends can know what he is feeling just by looking at his hands. Jongdae patted his shoulder to get his attention, Minseok nodded. “Whatever you think is the best, just tell me what it is.”

 

 

“Okay, are you sure you’ll be alright? We can all stay here.” He worriedly asked, Minseok brushed his hands up as a response, and as much as Jongdae would like to stay, he couldn’t betray the former’s orders.

 

 

Jongdae left after a while, and Minseok was memorizing all the details of the table, even the order Jongdae chose for him. All because he wouldn’t to be a mess in front of his date for tonight. He could feel his hands tremble as he waited for him to arrive, and as he is, Minseok was consumed with his horrible thoughts. It was distracting that he didn’t even felt that someone was staring at him for a while across him, confused.

 

 

“Minseok-ssi?”

 

 

Minseok snapped back up, startling his date. He apologized before smiling slightly, the anxiety kicking in. He tapped his fingers continously on the table the nodded, both of them falling into awkward silence. Minseok should be at least thankful that people around them are stuck in their own conversations, mostly because they wouldn’t notice how awkward the two were. He sighed, and turned to face his date.

 

 

“Hi. You must be Chanyeol, nice to meet you.”

 

 

 

The evening went surprisingly well. Minseok and Chanyeol were conversing like old buddies. Minseok would laugh at the latter’s jokes, and sometimes frown when it was not funny at all, - but he would crack a smile upon hearing the younger’s laugh – so Chanyeol counted it as a laugh eitherway. Minseok silently thanked his friends again, for helping him memorize the table setting and the place so that he wouldn’t need Chanyeol’s help at all. He tried to be normal for the younger, he wouldn’t try to blow this one up. 

 

 

Minseok learned Chanyeol is a TA in Biology at the university downtown, and loves to offer his services on the children school besides it, - which Minseok finds really cute – and has four dogs. He also loves to play the guitar, the piano, and he sings, too. He also has a really deep voice, and laughs a lot, for sure he have attracted so many people in the restaurant already, but if he did, Chanyeol really didn’t mind.

 

 

Chanyeol learned that Minseok once was working on a café as a barista, and he also sings, too. He has a cat, - Chanyeol didn’t really see this as a problem – and was allergic to shrimps. He’s been close friends with Jongdae, which Chanyeol knew was Baekhyun’s friend also, thus both of their mutual friends arranged the date for them. Minseok also writes, but he mentioned he don’t do those anymore.

 

 

“A guy was admitted to the hospial with eight plastic horses on his stomach.”

 

 

“What? 8 plastic horses?!”

 

 

“The doctor said his condition is now stable.

 

 

Minseok frowned, making Chanyeol roar in laughter.

 

 

“That wasn’t funny at all.”

 

 

“It is!”

 

 

Minseok wouldn’t admit it but it is kind of funny, and Chanyeol’s laughter is adding it all up to it. They both continued to share stories, and opinions about literally almost everything, - about politics, do both believe in aliens and ghosts, why do peanut butter tastes better with jelly, and about how Minseok doesn’t like Batman Vs. Superman that much (this argument lasted for almost an hour), and the fact that alligators don’t exactly float in the water – all while waiting for their food that took too long, but Minseok and Chanyeol were both immersed in their own conversations to even notice the time.

 

 

They ate in silence. There were a few occasional glances, with some small smiles, from Chanyeol. From all the blind dates his friend, Baekhyun, have prepped for him, this is the only one he enjoyed. This is the only date he wanted to have a second try, or a step forward. Minseok was really something Chanyeol liked being with, and of course, if the older felt the same, be official with him. Chanyeol stole a glance again from the latter, and this time, Minseok was staring at him as well. The younger blushed and hid himself, embarrassed by the fact that the hyung caught him looking, but Minseok didn’t have any reactions at all.

 

 

That was both weird and relieving.

 

 

When Minseok excused himself, Chanyeol whipped up his phone to text Baekhyun.

 

 

Yeol: I like him.

Baek: I knew it *u*

Sehun: See? I told you he was just your type.

Baek: Be careful with Minseok-hyung alright?

Baek: And never let him go home alone!!!!

Sehun: Yes, and please take good care of him.

Sehun: Or else I’ll slice your in half.

 

 

Chanyeol rolled his eyes. It seemed to him that Minseok was perfectly capable of taking care of himself, so why all the warnings? He slid his phone down on his pocket as he saw Minseok walking towards him with hesitation, Chanyeol frowned. Was there something he said? Minseok furrowed his eyebrows as he continued to move slowly towards him, his hands were feeling every table he goes through. What was his problem? Chanyeol thought. Just as he was about to ask, Minseok already arrived and felt the soft silk of their table cloth. The latter smiled and sat down, facing him. Chanyeol frowned, slightly confused.

 

 

“Minseok-ssi?” He started, an uneasy feeling settling on his chest.

 

Minseok sighed, but still smiled at Chanyeol. But the latter felt that his smile was restrained.

 

 

“Just Minseok, please.”  

 

 

“Okay, ‘just Minseok’.” Chanyeol joked, and Minseok snorted.

 

 

The older went serious after, making Chanyeol nervous. “Are you… alright?”

 

 

Minseok sighed. He guessed there was no way out of this one but to lie, but he hate having to lie to people he liked. Yes, he liked Chanyeol – to the point that he wants to keep this going – but he couldn’t betray the younger’s trust. If Chanyeol likes him too, Minseok hopes his condition would not be a hindrance to whatever it is blossoming between the both of them right now. And if he does, he just had to accept it.

 

 

Just like what happened the last time.

 

Chanyeol studied Minseok’s face carefully, how the older’s face fell after being lost on his own thoughts. He didn’t really know what was happening, nor would he want to ask Baekhyun and Sehun about it, and it seems like Minseok would already tell him. Chanyeol wished that the latter would still be going out with him after. So far, Chanyeol really liked him. He was interested into knowing Minseok’s past, his secrets, - and everything. The younger knew that he wanted to find out everything, and if not, learn with Minseok into life. That’s when Chanyeol knew he wanted to love Minseok, and he wanted to give all of this a try.

 

 

For once, Chanyeol didn’t back down.

 

 

 

“I told Jongdae to not to tell your friends about this. Hell, I don’t even want to tell you.” Minseok muttered under his breath. Chanyeol frowned, staring at Minseok’s face. It was as if the latter was on an internal debate with himself, - the way his face was all scrunched up – it was cute, but Chanyeol was too curious to even deal with his feelings right now. “I’m sorry if I didn’t tell you sooner. I thought this will not progress in any way, not how I expected it. But now I really like you, and I suppose I should tell you the truth. Now.”

 

 

Chanyeol wasn’t following. He just stopped at ‘I really like you’, and was internally freaking out right now. He even couldn’t restrain the smile forming on his lips. Minseok likes him. Minseok likes him too!! And he really likes him. Not just like, but really like. Chanyeol was over the moon he didn’t even catch Minseok staring at him, boring holes into his face. The younger felt flustered, - again – and realized that he hasn’t been listening at all to Minseok talk. Chanyeol bit his lip. “Uh… could you repeat what you said again?”

 

 

 

“I’m blind.”

 

 

 

Chanyeol and Minseok walked beside each other silently. Minseok wanted to stay at the park for a while but Chanyeol couldn’t let him be alone, not with his condition. The two of them were immersed in their own worlds, but silently waiting for the other to speak. Minseok wanted to, but he just chickens out. Right after he said it, he heard Chanyeol gasped, - he doesn’t know if that reaction was good, or bad – eitherway Minseok just assumed it was for the worst. Chanyeol, on the other hand, felt as stupid as when it took him long enough to find out about Minseok’s condition and felt bad for himself. Not with Minseok, but with himself. Chanyeol should’ve known, and Chanyeol should’ve noticed sooner. He felt bad, and sad.

 

 

“Minseok…”

 

 

Minseok sighed, but quite relieved that Chanyeol spoke up.

 

 

“I’m sorry.” Minseok whispered.

 

 

Chanyeol stopped dead on his tracks. Why was he sorry?

 

 

“What? Why are you sorry?” Chanyeol asked, guiding both of them on a park bench. Minseok shrugged, not wanting to answer the question. He just really felt obligated to apologize for anything regarding his own condition. Minseok felt sorry for the people who took care of him through days where he should be the one looking out for himself instead of others. He felt so incapable, and felt to say sorry for every single thing he does. Minseok held back a sob, he shouldn’t let Chanyeol see him like this. It’s embarrassing.

 

 

Chanyeol closed his eyes.

 

 

“Minseok… You should’ve told me sooner.”

 

 

“I would’ve taken care of you sooner. I should’ve been more attentive. I should’ve noticed. Don’t be sorry, I should be the one who should apologize. Not you. I’m sorry, Minseok. I’m so, so, sorry.” He said, his hands making its way to the older’s. Chanyeol smiled as he saw the older blushed. Minseok was conflicted, but all he knows is that he’s holding Chanyeol’s hand, and he isn’t running away from him.

 

 

And somehow, that’s all that matters.

 

 

 

 

 

Junmyeon was cuddling with Jongdae when Minseok arrived. Luhan and Yixing were hovering outside the front door when they heard the doorbell, signalling that their little angel has arrived. Kris almost threw Tao out of their own bed when they heard Luhan scream. Kyungsoo, who was really concentrating hard at the chess game he and Jongin were playing stood up and ran as hell to welcome Minseok back from his date, even Kai stumbled on the chess pieces and followed Kyungsoo out. Meanwhile, Baekhyun and Sehun followed the couple, Minseok and Chanyeol, all the way from the park – where they’ve seen them – and watched as the two held one another’s hand like both of their lives depended on it. It was nice, and sweet.

 

 

 

“So, Chanyeol. This is Junmyeon, Jongdae, Luhan, Yixing, Tao, Yi Fan, Kyungsoo, Jongin. They’re my friends, did I introduce you right?” Minseok asked while everyone was busy shuffling themselves to where he pointed them, even if he didn’t come as close. Jongdae smiled at him and noticed Baekhyun and Sehun standing awkwardly behind the oblivious Chanyeol. “Oh, there you guys are!” He exclaimed, making all of them take a glance at the newcomers. Their mutual friend, Chanyeol, raised his eyebrow at suspicion as the two smiled sheepishly at him. Minseok, confused at the new people he kept hearing about, furrowed his eyebrows at the unsuspecting Junmyeon, who nudged Jongdae to introduce the two.

 

 

“Guys, this is Baekhyun and Sehun. They’re my friends from middle school.” Jongdae said, and Minseok just held his hands up for a handshake. His hands were pointing towards the wall, but Baekhyun and Sehun immediately went to him and shook it. Chanyeol smiled as he saw Minseok converse with the others, he was fitting along so well, also with his own friends. Yixing smiled and approached him. Water on his hand.

 

“Here.” Yixing said, making Chanyeol jump back in surprise.

 

 

“ you scared me.” Chanyeol put his hand around his chest as Yixing surpressed a smile. Chanyeol really thought all of Minseok’s friends are great. Besides the fact that they all look out for Minseok, they all have pleasing personalities that makes people want to join their group. Same with Yixing, he doesn’t really talk much or participate in the group discussions but Chanyeol could feel his contented with his friends having fun, especially Minseok. “Please take good care of our hyung.” Yixing said, and then he left with a smile.

 

 

He will.

 

 

 

Kyungsoo’s stares are unnerving. Chanyeol didn’t know whether the guy wanted to melt him off, or he just wanted to get him to talk about Minseok – obvious. So the taller between the two initiated the conversation.

 

 

“Kyungsoo, right?”

 

 

The said man nodded, his eyes trailing off to Minseok laughing with his friends. It was a sight to see.

 

 

“If you break his heart, I’ll break your bones. Got it?”

 

 

Chanyeol nodded nervously, “Got it.”