Summer Days

Summer Days

Some days, nothing goes right. Everything falls apart and everyone ends up in less than pleasant situations. This was one of those days. The heat was painfully sharp today. You left your apartment and covered your mouth. The hot air was hard to breathe. Already of a weaker disposition, you didn’t enjoy summer time much. You skin burned easily and you felt dizzy. But you had to go to the bank. You’d put it off for way too long and now didn’t really have a choice. You jogged down the flight of steps, heart already beating way too quickly for how little you had exerted yourself, and turned the street corner, in direction of the subway.

   You only had to wait a couple of minutes for the train to get there and you hopped in. It was cooler underground and you let out a thankful sigh. You checked your watch and nodded. It would take an hour for you to get home. You’d have the time to catch an episode of a drama you’d been following. It was easier than to watch it online a few days later, so you’d try to make it on time.

   Jumping out, you checked the city map on the nearby wall, to make sure it was the right exit. It’s not that you weren’t familiar with the area, but unless it was summer time, you usually took your bike. However, whenever the temperature rose, you became very weak and couldn’t stand exercising. So all the biking was done while it was cooler outside.

   Nodding to yourself as you spotted the street the bank was on, you adjusted your bag and headed for the exit, savouring the the last few steps in the harsh neon lights and relative freshness. You climbed the steps, heartbeat accelerating.

 

Some days, nothing goes right. In fact, things take turns for the worse. And out of nowhere, just as you seem to be getting close to your goal, you hit an obstacle. In your case, just as you turned the corner after jumping the last step, you collided with something in motion. Something pink. Something against which your face slammed, pushing you back towards the stairs you have just climbed. As you fell, the blood rushed to your already dizzy head. You hadn’t lost consciousness. You would have just landed on your backside, had a hand not caught you mid fall, essentially giving you whiplash. Your neck was jerked forwards by the motion of someone trying to stop the fall and your panicked eyes met those of the pink obstacle. Apparently, you weren’t the only alarmed one as the person had equally large eyes. It lasted a split second before you kneck went limp along with the rest of your body.

 

Fainting was an odd thing. You’d experienced it a lot throughout childhood and especially teenage years. It was cold. Your entire body was cold, drained of life. But even if you had only gone a second, it felt as though you had gone on a trip throughout the universe. There were rarely any pictures or sounds. But whenever you awoke, there was always that impression that you had seen galaxies. Now, everyone had it differently. But it wasn’t something that was too bad, unless your hurt yourself during the fall, or embarrassed yourself in public. There were also times that you had had a lasting migraine afterwards, but it often wasn’t the case. This time, you just found yourself paralysed with cold. Slowly coming too, you felt your entire body to be limp and freezing.

   "She’ll be all right, right?“ a voice whispered by your side. That triggered your sense of hearing. You started to identify the sounds of cars. A siren came through.

   "She will,” assured another. “We’ll make sure everything is all right, but it’s not uncommon for people to faint in the heat, especially since this summer is particularly hot.”

   "I should have looked where I was going,“ lamented the first voice. "I was in a hurry, but it’s no excuse.”

   "You’re not at fault sir.“

   "How will you contact her family? Her phone is broken. It slipped out of her pocket when she fell.” The voice sounded increasingly distressed and that sent a wave of shock through you. You had just saved up enough to buy that phone. You blinked. Your eyes were unseeing, but they were open.

   "Mam, you’re conscious?“ asked a firm voice by your side. You instinctively turned you head towards the voice, light piercing through the veil and making you blink seriously. "Just nod if you can hear me.” You nodded and he let out a sigh.

   "I’m so sorry I ran into you,“ said the voice you had heard earlier. You blinked in its directions, focusing on a gentle face filled with worry. "I’m really sorry. I’ll pay for any medical bill and for you phone.” He looked really distressed.

   "Calm down, she’s coming too. Please sit back, sir. She needs space.“

 

After a few exams at the hospital, you explained your case, telling them this was habitual. You explained you suffered from anemia and low blood pressure, so the heat was always difficult for you to get through. The young man that had accompanied you to the hospital was waiting outside and the moment you left, he walked up to you, bowing deeply.

   "Hello, I am Kim Seokjin from earlier. I’m sorry if I made you nervous in the ambulance. I’m really sorry about what happened,” he bowed again. You were still a bit dazed so you nodded and waved your hand.

   "It’s okay,“ you said gently. "It’s not unusual for me to faint. I tend to be light headed when it’s hot outside.” You stifled a yawn. “My name is Y/N. You don’t need to apologise.”

   "I’m sorry we had to meet like this, Y/N. Can I treat you to a drink? Maybe you’re dehydrated. I can also get you icecream. Sweetness is good if you blood sugar is low. Though I think bread and heavier things are better. Come, I’ll buy you a late lunch.“ You immediately shook your head.

   "Oh, I’m okay. I already ate before leaving. And the nurses gave me plenty of water,” you gave him a smile, not really sure what else to say. He hadn’t done anything wrong and had even taken the time to accompany you to the hospital. He was kinder than most.

   "I insist. Unless you really don’t want to.“ He looked guilty so you ended up agreeing.

   "We can go get drinks,” you nodded and the two of you slowly walked towards the exit.

 

“So this happens often?” Seokjin asked, looking surprised. “That a difficult condition to live with.”

   "It’s not that bad. It’s usually in summer or when I stand too quickly. I’ve learned to take things slowly, for the most part. And I take iron supplements that help me regulate it a bit,“ you explained, sipping the ice coffee. You were both sat outside, in a pretty little café. It was a bit fancy, but he had assured you they made delicious drinks, and he wasn’t wrong. Underneath you ran a little river, that cooled the atmosphere considerably. And anyway, you were still a bit chilled from fainting, so the sun was almost welcomed.

   "That’s good,” he agreed. “I’m-”

   "Don’t apologise again, Kim Seokjin. It’s really okay. We were both in a hurry and didn’t look where we were going,“ you gave him a reassuring grin and a thumbs up. "And this coffee is delicious. Very energising.”  

   "That’s a relief,“ he sighed, taking a sip of his ice tea. He looked very dainty, leaning back against the chair. You felt almost a little out of place next to him.

   "It looks like it’ll be a very hot summer,” you commented, attempting to make small talk.

   "Very. And the cooling in our dance room broke last week, so it’s been hell.“

   "You dance?” you asked curiously.

   "Not very well, but I’m trying to improve.“

   "Oh, well you look like a dancer!” you commented. He had a slender and well built body, so it didn’t surprise you.

   "Really? My shoulders aren’t too broad?“ You eyed him from where you sat and sniffed.

   "Well, maybe a bit since they knocked me out…” for a moment he stared at you, trying to figure out if it was a joke or not but you let out a giggle and he quickly joined you, laughing heartily.

   "I’m really sorry,“ he said, wiping a tear from the corner of his eyes once his laughter had subsided.

   "Ah, I told you to stop apologising. It’s really not your fault. I was just joking.” You glanced at his shoulders again and nodded. “They’re completely fine.”

Once you had both finished you drinks, he told you to wait while he went to pay for the bill. He came back a minute later and handed you a bottle of water. “In case you feel too hot again.”

   "You didn’t have to…“ you said, but thanked him nonetheless. He was such a nice person, you almost felt bad for making him worry.

   "Oh, and I’ll give you my number for the phone reparations. I think a screen change should do it.” You stood up and took the piece of paper he handed you with his number elegantly written on it.

   "Honestly, it’s-“

   "I insist,” he cut you off again. “Plus you’ll need a phone to call me, if ever you need someone to catch you again.” You stared at him as he started to laugh at him own cheesy pick up line. You didn’t have the heart to tell him you would have probably been fine had be not caught you so you ended up laughing with him.

   "Okay, okay,“ you agreed. "I’ll keep your number and call if I need you.”

   "Really?“ he sounded a bit excited. "I’m glad.”

 

Some days, nothing goes right. Things take a turn for the worse and put you in a difficult situation. But despite the events that had just transpired, you didn’t feel today was one of those days. You parted ways with Kim Seokjin with a hearty smile and a warm handshake. Once you had gotten home, you secured his number in your address book and promised you’d call the moment your phone was repaired.