I Love You

Last Words

She slowly open her eyes. All she could see was red and an unbearable headache hit her. She close her eyes again. She can hear a loud ring from inside of her head. She tried to stop the numbing sound by putting her hands over her ears. It did not work. She stayed laying on the dirty ground for a few minutes. When the ringing in her ears start to fade away, she tried to get up from the dirty ground of the field but she fell. After a few failed attempts she gave up.

She look to her surroundings. It was filled with full of rubles, dirt, dust, broken things, blood and death bodies. Suddenly, her brain was flooded with what happened to her, to everyone there. Then, she remembers. Her friends. She was with her friends. She was waiting in the waiting area with her friends for their flight back Seoul. They cannot wait to go home and see their families and girlfriends. They were on an volunteering mission for runaway. 

Suddenly, a group of masked men enter the area with deadly weapons and everything became a chaos. Everyone was trying to run and saving themselves, including them. In the middle of the chaos, an explosion happened. She forced herself to get up and with a limp, she tried to look for her friends. She screamed their names out loud. She was beyond worried. She was terrified. She fears for the worst thing to happened to them. 

"Nayoung unnie!" She called out for her friend who's also the leader of their group. No answer. 

"Yebin!" She called out her friend who shared same surname with her. No answer. 

"Eunwoooo!" Still no answer.

"Sungyeooon!" She called out the maknae of the group. No answer.

She was getting restless. She ignored the pain all over her body, especially the excruciating pain in her abdomen. She check every body in front of her, afraid of missing anything. She tripped over a dead old man and fell face first on another body. She immediately get off the person when heard a weak groan. She turn over the body and she was relieve when she saw her Nayoung unnie. But her relieve was short live. Nayoung was on the verge of dying. 


"Unnie! Stay with me, unnie." She held Nayoung in her arms. 

"Kyung...won...ah...I'm.. So..sorry. It...it's my fa...fault." She could not hold back her tears. The pain in her heart was hurting her more than the physical pain. 

"Unnie! Don't say that. Please." She can feel that Nayoung's breath was getting weaker. 

"Please...tell Jieqiong... I... I...lo..ve her." That was it. Nayoung close her eyes after telling her, her love for her one and only love.

"Nayoung unnieeee!" Kyungwon scream out her lungs. 

Her eyes were blurred with tears. She hugs Nayoung's body for a quite a long time. She only move when she remembers her other friends. She found Yebin and Eunwoo, dead, not far from Nayoung. Both of them were holding pictures of their girlfriends, Siyeon and Kyla.

"Kyungwon unnie." She turn her head when she heard a familiar voice calling her name. Sungyeon. She rush over to Sungyeon's side. Just like Nayoung, she was very weak. 

"Unnie... I'm dying right?" It pain her to see Sungyeon smile right then. She held the maknae's hands, not answering her question. 

"Un...nie. Te..tell Ye...wonie, I love... Her." Sungyeon took a last deep breath and she was gone. Kyungwon hug the younger kid body. All of her friends were gone. She was the only one left. She don't even know if she can make it. If she can fulfill her friends' wishes. The pain in her body was growing and she just realized that there was a hole on her stomach. She took out her phone from her back pocket. It was dead. Looking to her surrounding, she spot a landline phone on  counter. With an extremely strong will she tried to get up and walk to the counter. She hopes the landline would still work. She dial a set of number she remembers by heart. She waited patiently for the person on another line to receive her call.

"Hello. I'm Minkyung. Who is speaking." Her heart was filled with an intense happiness when she heard the voice she was missing for so long.

"Hello. Hello. Who is this?"

"Minkyungie. It's me."

"Kyungwonieee. I miss you."

"I miss you more."

"No, I miss you more."

"No, I am."

"Okay okay you win. When will you get back? I can't wait to see you. Me and the kids are preparing for a party for you guys." Minkyung voice was filled with ecstasy. 

Kyungwon heart was hit with unexplainable pain. She won't be able to go home. At least not alive. Not while she was breathing. But she cannot find the strength in her heart to tell her girlfriend that truth.

"Minkyung-ah, soon. You will see me soon. And the others too." She clutched to her stomach when she said that. She bite her lips to stand the increasing pain. 

"Alright. Hey, why did you sound breathless? Are you okay?"

"No. I just too excited to see you."

"Ohhhh..."

"The others told me to pass their love wishes to their girlfriends. Can you help me?" 

"Sure. Wait a sec." Minkyung screamed 'I love you' from the other side and said it was from their girlfriends. Kyungwon can hear their ruckus over the phone. They were saying 'I love you too' over there. She smiled as she imagine their face.

"Mingkyungie..." She called her girlfriend with a weak voice. 

"Yes."

"I love you." She sat on the ground with the phone on her ear. She can feel that she didn't have much time. 

"I love you too."

Kyungwon smiled as she heard the three sacred words. Her eyes were closing slowly and the phone dropped from her hand. Minkyung kept talking without knowing the love of her life had left her.