Chapter 3

Before Eunsook, there was Sookie
Please log in to read the full chapter

AN: There is a new ending scene to the previous chapter, a cute little interaction between Minho & Eunsook. If you haven't read it yet, please read first :) I just thought it would be better for flow. As always, thank you for reading!

 

 

 

As Eunsook leaves Minho's apartment, her phone chimes with a new incoming text from Taemin. She checks his previous messages and texts him back as she heads for the elevator.

T: I’m downstairs.

T: Noona, do you want a water? I’m going to the convenience store next door.

E: kk, I’m just leaving. Be right down.

E: Sure. Thanks, Taem. You’re the best.

 

If Gwi was her soul mate, Taemin was her best friend. The three of them were a packaged deal. The only two people in the universe who loved Eunsook for who she was, not for who they thought or wanted her to be. And she was lucky that Gwi and Taemin loved each other just as much, developing their own relationship after the two of them had met.

She and Taemin had grown up together, neighborhood kids that had gotten into all sorts of trouble together. They were the best of friends even though they were four years apart. Both of their parents had thought and secretly wished that they would eventually get married when they were adults and their age difference would matter to no one and Taemin had even imagined himself in love with her until he realized and accepted that he was gay. Eunsook was the first person he told and she kept his secret for many years because she could give no s about who he loved as long as he was happy.

When Taemin came out and was kicked out by his parents for a time, Taemin had stayed with Eunsook in the college apartment she shared with Gwi. Eunsook was forever grateful to Gwi who hadn’t even known Taemin then, but had let him crash in their apartment. By summer’s end, Gwi and Taemin were best friends of their own. Eventually, Taemin’s parents came around and accepted Taemin for who he is. Eunsook, who Taemin’s parents considered to be their daughter, had come to their house every week that summer to speak with them.

Taemin lived on his own now and he kept trying to convince Eunsook to move in with him, but out of duty, she stayed at home with her parents. So now Taemin takes care of her, an unspoken repayment for the years she had down the same for him.

 

 

Minho drops off his nephew, Yoogeun at school the next week. He sees a woman out front greeting the arriving parents and kids.

She must be a teacher.

The woman turns around and Minho can’t believe his eyes, it was Sookie. She looks completely different. Her hair was pulled into a ponytail, her bangs held back with a hairband. She wore a knee length skirt and a cardigan set. But when she smiled, he knew it was her.

He walks up to her, Yoogeun in tow.

“Hey, do you work here?”

“I do. I’m Yoogeun’s teacher.” her reply is friendly and she smiles brightly.

She looks down at Yoogeun.

“Hi Yoogeun, are you ready for school today?”

“Yes, Miss Lee! I told my uncle about the volcano we made last week and he said it was cool.”

Eunsook smiles. “That’s great, Yoogeun.”

Another classmate of Yoogeun walks up to them and they decide to go play on the playground before school starts. Yoogeun looks back at Minho for permission.

“Of course, go ahead, little buddy. Your dad is picking you up later.”

“Bye, Uncle Minho!” Yoogeun waves.

Minho waves back. “Bye, Yoogeun! Have a good day at school.”

Minho turns back to continue speaking with Eunsook, but she’s talking with a parent. She looks at the kids as they pass and smiles at them, little comments said to all the kids and parents alike.

“—he’s doing really great.”

“Sure, I can recommend a tutor—”

After a couple minutes, they are alone and Minho clears his throat.

“So, I must have entered your phone number wrong that night because when I dialed it, someone else answered.”

“I’m sorry, Mr—” she looks at him expectedly.

“Choi. Choi Minho. We...uh… met last week.” Minho says carefully, since they were in public. He is beyond offended.

She forgot my name?!?! And after I ing rocked her world?!

“Mr. Choi, I think you are mistaken. I didn’t give you my phone number.” she says, looking around and laughing awkwardly to no one in particular.

What is going on?

Minho cannot believe his ears.

“I’m Choi Minho. You’re Lee Sookie. We... met the other night and yes, you did.” he tries again.

Does she have some kind of short term memory loss? Yes, that must be it. It’s not because I’m forgettable.

“Mr. Choi, my name is Lee Eunsook. I’m Yoogeun’s teacher. Yoogeun’s incredibly bright,  imaginative, and extremely kind. He’s doing really well in my class. If you have any specific questions, please, just let me know. I’m sorry, but if you’ll excuse me, I have to tend to the other students right now. Have a great day.” Eunsook says brightly, bowing, before walking away to greet the other students arriving.

Minho bows back, completely confused. He was sure that the woman standing was the same woman he met that night, bu

Please log in to read the full chapter