Chapter 22

Adilah

 

The hardest chapter that I've written so far. It is not that good, but it's the only one that my mind could make at this moment.

 

Adilah~

 

Cole quickly masks his fear with a cold front. He taunts Samirah by giving her a challenging smirk, not even batting an eye at me as if I don't exist. I realize that they're playing a game, and I am Samirah's trump card right now.

 

"That's the best that you got to throw me off?" Cole is an Alpha, he won't fall for this that easily. He might have something in mind, I'll just need to trust him.

 

My thoughts are cut short when I feel Samirah's hand wrap around my neck. She is very aware of how to bring out someone's weakness and Cole is not an exception. His jaw clenched at the action much to Samirah's amusement.

 

She laughs in victory at the same time that the shackles on my hands fall to the ground. "She's not the best that I got. She's the only one that I have, and she will be perfect for the job. Right, Adilah? One wrong move dear and Crimson there will be in trouble." She threatens as she gives me my much-needed space away from her. Crimson is still struggling with a guard, who is dangerously pointing a silver dagger at her chest.

 

"Why don't we tell her our history together Cole? As your mate, I think she at least deserves to know why this is happening to her. All because she's destined to be with you." Cole charges in anger but the bound keep him in place. I stare at Samirah in confusion. "What do you mean?" I open my mouth for the first time, not sure if I really want to know the answer.

 

"Don't listen to her Adilah." Cole's green eyes capture mine in desperation.  I turn to Samirah whose eyes are twinkling. "Tell me!" I demand in urgency.  My heartache too well with a very familiar feeling. Not twice today, please not.

 

"He knew that you are a future Luna all along, dear. He's planning to use you to avenge his father's death by convincing you to go against our society. Isn't that cruel?"

 

"That's not true!" Cole loudly denies, but there is something in his face that tells me otherwise. I express my hurt, needles pinching every inch of my body which causes him to finally break apart. Part of me wants to reassure him that I know that this is just one of Samirah's strategies for me to hate him, but I can't. My heart has been broken by lies too many times these past few days and this time by someone whom I thought couldn't hurt me. Rae was right. Hope is long gone in this pack, and the Luna is enjoying it that way.

 

***

 

"Don't you hate him for that?"

 

"Why? Are you any different than him?" Cole flinches at my words, flashing the agony in his eyes that he doesn't try to conceal from Samirah anymore.

 

The Luna isn't satisfied with my answer. She wants me to hate my mate, but I still hate her more. She will not get her way with me, even if that's the last thing that I'll do. She nods her head in respect after minutes of thinking, "Since you're Marissa's daughter I know that you'll be tougher. Let's proceed with plan B then." I stand my ground to show her that I am not afraid of whatever she's going to throw at me next.

 

"Your mother and your pack? Or..." The strength that I gathered vanishes as Samirah smiles triumphantly, "Your mate's life?" I clench my fists tightly to the point that I think it's going to bleed. A guard gives her a sharp, silver dagger and she twists it in her hands. Her eyes gleaming evilly as she anticipates my answer without any shame, this is her way of making me do it.

 

"You wouldn't go this far." I try to tell her in my last attempt to stop her from doing this, although I know that there's nothing that could change her mind. This is what she wants and she will get it done no matter what.

 

"You can do what you want with me! Leave Adilah out of this." Cole begs when Samirah pushes the dagger in my hands.

 

"That's not for you to decide, Alpha." Samirah spats back and waits for me in craze. She's expecting me to do it, given that I don't have a choice, or my whole life will be gone. Her eyes want blood, the animal on her is taking over. All of her reasoning is gone and is drowned by revenge.

 

I raise the dagger in Cole's direction, my hands are shaking.  Crimson's shouts and Samirah's laugh are muffled in the background. I only concentrate on his green eyes. There's no hint of hatred on them, there's only regret and maybe... maybe...

 

I drop the weapon to the ground, me falling along with it. My tears do the same. It's one of the few times that I cried.  Cole connects his forehead to mine, apologizing and comforting me at the same time. I don't deserve it, I am a selfish mate.

 

"I won't do it! Just lock me up forever. I won't do it."

 

Samirah harshly pulls me away from Cole,  holding my neck once again. "You're too soft. He has lied to you and yet you still believe him! I guess I have to do this the hard way." Samirah's claws start digging into my skin.

 

Cole growls and with an unbelievable strength, he breaks free from the silver. His wolf is now in control.

 

"Take one step and I'll kill your beloved mate," I shout in pain when one of her claws cut me. Cole's roar even grows louder.

 

"Let's finish this. Your life or hers? Pick Cole." I shake my head to stop him, but Samirah holds it firmly in place twisting her nail on my flesh as I struggle. I bite my bottom lip to stop myself from whimpering.

 

Cole's breathing becomes even more ragged. "If you hurt her one more time."

 

"What? You don't have the upper hand here. Grab the dagger and kill yourself. Do it!"

 

All the commotion suddenly cease when the door of the room open. Even Samirah is not expecting to be interrupted, especially not by her daughter.

 

"Mother, I think that's enough."

 

***

 

Samirah seethes, but she doesn't remove herself from me or appeared shaken at all. "You don't have the right to stop me, Rae. You will get it later. I want you to leave."

 

"I don't think so." From behind Rae, my mother and Luna Lila along with Alexander and Xavier whom I haven't seen in a while emerge. Realizing what's happening and what Rae did, I smile. The hope returns.

 

After seeing everyone, Samirah backs up taking me along with her. "I suggest that the two of you not to get involved in this."

 

"You have our daughters." The Luna of the Liberty pack, Crimson's mother, rarely gets upset. Now I know never to cross her as she meets Samirah's eyes sharply, not intimidated by the threat.

 

"Get them!" Samirah orders to the guards in the room, but no one move. The one who is holding Crimson down free her instead, and remove the cloth that hides her face. Faith. Her scent is different that's why we didn't notice it's her, she doesn't own the clothes that she is wearing. When did they get here?

 

"Sorry. We needed the evidence." She holds up a small camera that's on her shoulder and wink at me, recording everything from the beginning.

 

Still not concerned though, Samirah snickers. "You will never get out of here to show that to anyone."

 

Faith imitates her, even clapping her hands in a way that annoyed the Luna with me. "It's a live broadcast. Our technology today is really amazing."

 

This time Samirah finally snaps. She tightens her grip on my neck and I struggle to breathe.

 

"It's over, Mother. Let go of Adilah." Rae walks towards us.

 

"You traitor! You're just like your father!" Rae's face flashes with hurt. "I never should've had you." Samirah continues to back away until I feel the night air on my skin.

 

We're already outside on a balcony passing the opened glass door that gives the entire view of the dark sky around a full moon above. "Let her go!" Cole moves along with us in horror,  knowing what might be on Samirah's mind. Rae comes along too. Everyone is convincing Samirah not to do it.

 

"You ruined everything." She says in my ears full of hatred. I had enough. While distracted, I step on her foot which loosens her grip on my neck, enough for me to slip away from her. She immediately catches one of my arms though and pulls me again with her near the edge of the balcony where a good landing of sharp rocks are below us. She is going to bring me down with her. Cole grabs my other flailing arm and with a force throw Samirah off me. Rae screams, quickly reacting to catch her mother's arm before she completely falls. After recovering a little I move to help her.

 

"Mother, let's stop this. We'll try and sort things out."

 

"You don't need to do this Samirah." We try to convince her. But she chuckles in disbelief, "I will not be locked up in a dungeon." She holds on to Rae tightly while slowly slipping away, "I am not the only one." She laughs maniacally, "This society is going to remain like this forever."

 

Samirah scratches Rae's arm causing her daughter to let her go. I pull Rae away and cover her eyes, she doesn't need to see it. The loud crash below makes my stomach churn.  I feel Cole's warm hand on my shoulder. Everyone rushes to us and soon we find ourselves inside again.

 

Faith shakes her head while glancing at the mess that took place here awhile ago. "We have a lot of cleaning to do."

 

***

 

I at story-telling,  I know ;). 3 more chapters to go! Thank you to all of my readers out there.