Final

Of Friends and Libraries (and Everything in Between)

- Hyukjae -

 

It was a bright Autumn day when Hyukjae pushed the glass doors to the university library. The sky was clear and void of clouds, and Hyukjae had an inkling that something good was about to happen.

 

The cool breeze from the air conditioner hit his nape as he made his way through the library. When he brushed past a group of giggling students, a certain freshman came into his view, and Hyukjae waved at him, who stood behind the wooden library counter.

 

“Hey Hyukjae hyung. What brings you here today?” Was the greeting Hyukjae received from Kyuhyun. Kyuhyun was the part-time library assistant and friend of Hyukjae, who worked afternoon hours in the university library from Wednesday to Friday.

 

The hours where Kyuhyun had his shift were always decently crowded, frantic test reviewers running their pens through papers.

 

To say that the library was ‘vast’ was the understatement of time itself. Books after books after - what else, books - were lined up and neatly organised alphabetically, each in shelves that towered like skyscrapers in metropolitan cities. The carpeted floor and the curtains by the windows were of a rich navy colour, reflecting the school emblem. There were tables and benches alongside the luminous windows and at every empty space possible, a comfortable couch. Students occupied the couches, trying their best to fit as many of them on the fluffy furniture.

 

“Uh so -” Hyukjae started, glancing around nervously. He was here just to ask a question. How hard can it be? “H-How's the weather today?” He asked, fingers drumming atop of the library counter in an impatient rhythm.

 

Kyuhyun raised his eyebrow and slightly leaned back, as he raised a hand to run his fingers through his bangs. “Hyung,” Kyuhyun gave a skeptical look.

You're the one who came from the outside, shouldn’t I be asking about the weather today?”

 

“I- It was a conversation starter, okay? Besides, you know that I'm never concerned with weather - you wouldn't be surprised if I came from the outside and was completely oblivious to it.”

 

“Isn't that the point? You're never concerned with the weather. Why would you ask? Obviously, you have something on your mind. Spit it out.” The younger stated sardonically.

 

“Fine, fine.” The older complied, his voice reaching a higher tone than usual. Hyukjae warily glanced around his surroundings - as if looking out for someone who could be listening in to their conversation - before he lowered his voice to a bare minimum, and murmured some words to the brunette standing behind the counter.

 

“I honestly cannot hear a word you're saying.” Came the short, blunt answer from the younger, whose fingers were grazing over the countertop and face soaked with amusement.

 

To top it all off, a smirk comfortably rested on Kyuhyun’s lips, one that Hyukjae would without a doubt describe as vexatious.

 

The nerve of this guy! Why am I still friends with this little…

 

“I said!” Hyukjae exclaimed, his face flushed with embarrassment. Words followed, but were again incomprehensible.

 

If possible, Kyuhyun’s smirk stretched even further, resembling the description of the Cheshire Cat that Hyukjae once read in his copy of Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland. Kyuhyun let out a haughty chuckle and raised his eyebrows.

 

“Still can't hear you,” Kyuhyun adjusted his square-framed glasses on his nose as he mocked the older, voice in a sing-song tune.

 

Hyukjae, face showing that he was visibly irked, cleared his throat and started again, this time in a slightly louder voice.

“Well, there’s this boy who always comes here on Thursday afternoons wearing glasses and the same blue cardigan. He always sits by the third window from the door but I was wondering,” he took in a sharp breath, “if you happened to know his name.”

 

“Doing some stalking now, are we?” Kyuhyun replied to his senior. When the older flushed once again at Kyuhyun’s remark, the younger smirked and added, “I do know him though. Lee Donghae’s the name. And if this makes you feel any better, he has hoards of girls and boys targeting him ‘cause he won the Most Handsome Face of Minsoo University last year. The college beauty, they say. Good luck if you’re aiming to get into his pants.”

 

“Oh my god, shut up, will you?” Hyukjae scoffed. “I was just thinking that he looks like a good guy, you know, to talk to.”

 

Kyuhyun smugly responded, “At least if I ever have a crush, I might have a chance with them. He’s not the rumoured school beauty who doesn’t wish to date, like, at all.”

 

To that, Hyukjae’s expression faltered a little. However, that didn’t stop him from making a reply. “Jesus, thanks for ruining my self-esteem, you ,”

 

“Love you too, hyung,” the younger replied. As Hyukjae walked towards the library exit after a wave of hands, Kyuhyun suddenly added, “and! I'm looking forward to your next home game! Get me tickets, will you?”

 

Kyuhyun was answered with a brisk nod.

 

- - - - -

 

A single light flickered eerily in the dimly-lit gym locker room.

 

Hyukjae inched closer to the hooded figure as he reached for his pockets and carefully drew out two pieces of rectangular paper.

 

The hooded figure mirrored his actions, taking out two papers from their hood pocket.

 

“Here, front row tickets,” the hooded figure murmured, shoving the pieces of paper to Hyukjae.

 

Hyukjae grunted in response, and handed his papers as well. “Good seats,” he mumbled.

 

Both parties observed their papers as if checking for something, before carefully storing them in their respective pockets. Silence enveloped the two for some time, before being interrupted by a light cough.

 

“Tell me, why are we doing this again?” Hyukjae asked mockingly, staring right into the wavering eyes of the other.

 

“It's because we both want to see each other's games, and we had a mutual agreement,” the figure stammered, fingers suddenly fidgeting uncomfortably.

 

“Is that so?” Hyukjae raised an eyebrow, and continued. “Because I call that complete bull. If I remember, you just want an excuse for me to bring Kyuhyun, otherwise known as ‘Cho-that-I’ve-been-crushing-on-a-bit-too-much-that-I-may-have-broken-his-bones’ for you, to your games.”

 

The hooded figure visibly reddened, and averted his gaze from Hyukjae.

 

“Hey,” Hyukjae said. “Don't get me wrong - it's really fine, honestly. It's just kind of conflicting? Or confusing, I should say, to hear that you, out of all people, are interested in him! Besides, it's fun teasing you.”

 

The other fell silent again, as Hyukjae stared blankly at the wall behind them, remembering the first time the other told him about their infatuation with Kyuhyun.

 

 

“So,” the other started. “I need help,”

 

“Go on.”

 

“Can you, uh… Set me up with your library friend? If he’s not taken, that is.”

 

“Who…?” Hyukjae replied, confusion weaved into his voice.

 

“You know, the y library assistant with the glasses and everything. Tall. Korean.”

 

“Oh, Kyuhyun.” Hyukjae murmured absentmindedly. There was a short pause before a shout resonated throughout the locker room.

 

“KYUHYUN?” Hyukjae’s eyes were wide in disbelief, his mouth dropped open.

 

“Shh - someone’s gonna hear!” The hooded figure glared at the other, eyes sharp resembling ones of a fox.

 

“Sorry. But Kyuhyun? I mean, he’s a good friend, but he’s usually a snarky ,” Hyukjae slowly said as he inspected the other’s face. “And I wouldn’t call him… y.”

 

The hooded figure crossed their arms and huffed, “Don’t care, he’s my type.”

 

“Well, if you say so.” Hyukjae nodded as he spoke.

 

 

Chuckling, Hyukjae glanced over at the hooded friend, and smiled, a wonderful plan already forming in his head.

 

- - - - -

 

“So, how did your match go?” the soothing voice of Hyukjae’s mother filled his ears through the speaker on his phone.

 

“Oh, haven’t I told you it moved to next Saturday? We're going against the Oxens, but because we won league championships last season, captain says we should be good to go,” Hyukjae replied to his mother.

 

“Oh, the team captain! He's the very handsome one, isn't he? What was his name again?”

 

“You mean Park Jungsoo? He is good-looking. Has a fanclub and all.”

 

“Really? I’m not surprised.” Hyukjae let out a small smile as he heard the amusement in his mother’s voice.

 

His mother never failed to make Hyukjae feel less lonely in his apartment of his, away from home and away from the town he grew up in. He used to have a tricky relationship with his parents in previous years of his life, but after entering college, the irritation that he felt towards them gradually changed to admiration.

 

The conversation flew from his football match - from who had fanclubs and who didn’t (“no mum, I don’t have a fanclub for the nth time!”), to the university cafeteria, and somehow to the upcoming winter holidays. 

 

“Oh Hyukjae, you will have such a wonderful time with Donghae!”

 

It came so suddenly that Hyukjae almost dropped his phone.

 

“Donghae…?” Hyukjae pondered aloud, forgetting for a moment that he was on the phone. Images of Lee Donghae at the university library flashed across his mind before he shook his head. His mother didn’t know about Lee Donghae, right? Perhaps it was another Donghae, his mind insisted, though he knew very well “East Sea” wasn’t a common name.

 

“Don’t you remember Lee Donghae? He used to live next doors when we were in Japan, remember?”

 

Hyukjae shook his head slowly before realising that his mother couldn't quite see him. “No…?” he carefully questioned.

 

“Oh, don’t you remember? The Donghae that you were best friends with when we were in Japan. You know, all the crying you did when we had to move back to Korea.”

 

Hyukjae furrowed his eyebrows. “Mum, I was five. Do you expect me to remember such trivial things?”

 

“Come on, don’t you remember the airport? All that sobbing? And, according to you mister, you guys promised that you would be best friends. Forever.” His mum asked, a mild mirth in her voice as she spoke.

 

“Best… Friends… Forever…” Hyukjae’s mind blanked at the thought. No wonder Lee Donghae seemed so familiar, he was my freaking friend 15 years ago!

 

Hyukjae, still holding his phone, squinted at the distance, as if trying to remember a segment of his childhood from the spiral of memories.

 

 

Two children stood at the crowded airport. People moved and shoved past each other, each respectively trying to get to their destinations. However, to the two, there were the only two in the vast airport terminal.

 

Hyukjae sniffed. “Donghae,” he called to the other.

 

Donghae looked up with equally teary eyes. “I don’t want you to go back to Korea.”

 

“Me neither,” he replied. “Hey… Promise me we’ll be friends when we meet again?”

 

A warm pair of arms wrapped around Hyukjae’s skinny shoulders in a tight embrace.

 

“I promise.”

 

 

“Hello? Hyukjae? Earth to my Hyuk!”

 

Hyukjae blinked rapidly to shake off his hazy memory from long ago.

 

“Y-Yeah, I’m listening,” he replied implausibly.

 

“Anyways, I heard from his mum that you and him go to the same college? Can you, perhaps, tell Donghae the details about this winter? If you know him, that is.”

 

He replied with a short, “sure” and commenced on writing down the details of the “Lees’ Holiday Plan” - as his mother called it.

 

 

When the call ended - Crap, was that really 30 minutes of phoning my mum? - Hyukjae sent a short text to Kyuhyun if he happened to know Donghae’s room number.

 

Kyuhyun’s reply came after an excruciatingly long 20 minutes: “Look, you creep. I’m not helping you get into his room at night just because you may or may not want to be something more than a random nobody, okay? … Although I will help your miserable self if it doesn't include creepy stalking.”

 

Hyukjae rolled his eyes and leaned back on his bedpost. “That .”

 

- - - - -

 

The audience roared with excitement, giving the team members encouragement and uplift to their morale. The stadium lights illuminated the field in the dark of the night and with the loud squeak of the referee's whistle, the two teams aggressively, yet gracefully, started their match.

 

A good thirty minutes into the match, Hyukjae saw the perfect opportunity. He moved left to right, swiftly moving up to the ball while avoiding the Oxens’ team members.

 

He passed the ball to another teammate - Kangin - and seeing that the ball safely landed between the goal posts, he pumped his fist up in the air, shouting a little “Yeah!” out of triumph.

 

 

As the sharp whistle of the referee acknowledged the end of the game, he rushed over to the centre of the field where all the others were huddled up in a victory circle. He was instantly caught in a headlock by several of his teammates, and laughing, he looked up to glance over at the audience, flashing his signature grin.

 

Hyukjae remembered that he saw a mop of familiar brown hair whilst during the game, but when he looked around, he was only greeted with a range of colours throughout the bleachers, unable to find the person he was looking for.

 

Who the hell was he kidding? Of course Lee Donghae isn't there, you . Stop being delusional - just because your friend has gone crazy head over heels in love with your ‘library friend’ as they called him, doesn't mean you have to do so too!

 

However, the rapid beating in his general heart area and the thumping in his ears kept present until later on in the day, and Hyukjae couldn’t quite make himself believe that it was because of the match.

 

- - - - -

 

The next time Hyukjae saw Lee Donghae was the Thursday after his first match. Donghae was in his usual seat beside the windows in the library.

 

However unlike usual, Hyukjae saw that Donghae had his chin rested comfortably on his arms, earphones nesting in his ears, and eyelids closed. 

 

Hyukjae smiled a little to himself, and took out his writing utensils to start his letter to Donghae. He would just give the letter here. How hard can it be?

 

He gripped his pen once more, twirling it around his fingers nimbly as he pondered. Hyukjae bit his tongue as he lowered his pen, ink crafting smooth letters following the lines of the letter paper.

 

Dear Lee Donghae…

 

Hey, I'm Hyuk! Do you remember me?

 

 

After a tiresome hour or so, Hyukjae finally finished his letter. He carefully slipped the letter inside the envelope, and sealed it shut with tape. He got out a box of cookie from his backpack, and put both the letter and the cookies in a brown paper bag.

 

He looked over to see the seat that Donghae was sitting, only to find it empty. Donghae had left while he was busy writing the letter.

Hyukjae face palmed himself, and packed his stuff, knowing that he had to move to his next plan. Halfway into shoving down his stationary into his backpack, he remembered that he forgot to put his name inside the letter, and scribbled his full name on the edge of the paper bag, hoping that Donghae would look at it when he receives the package.

 

Well, time for Plan B.

 

 

Hyukjae caught Kyuhyun behind the library counter, as he was packing his tote bag, ready to leave after his shift.

 

“Eh, whatever you’re trying to say - shut it. I have a tote bag, okay? Get over it.” Kyuhyun coldly spat at the older, trying not to glare.

 

“I wasn’t going to comment on your girly book bag. Here,” Hyukjae said, roughly pushing the paper bag towards the younger. 

 

Kyuhyun pushed his glasses up and gave a confused look. “What?”

 

“You told me you'll help me! Can you take this to room 410 in the Serenity building?”

 

“Ooh, looks like someone did their stalking.”

 

“Well, are you going to help me or not?” Hyukjae scoffed.

 

“Hm… what about ‘Please’?” Kyuhyun deadpanned.

 

“What?”

 

“‘Please can you deliver this to Lee Donghae’s dorm?’” Kyuhyun drawled, smirking a little.

 

Hyukjae shook his head. “You're unbelievable.”

 

- - - - -

 

- Sungmin -

 

Sungmin closed his National Geographic magazine as he heard the front door shut. Donghae was back from his classes.

 

“You’re back early today. I thought you were going to the library?” He lazily pondered aloud from the couch.

 

“I was,” Donghae, his roommate, replied from the front door. “Until I suddenly got pulled over by this freshman girl who tried to, you know…”

 

Sungmin snorted. “What, announce their undying eagerness in becoming close friends with you?” He watched as Donghae made his way into the living room, carelessly shoving his backpack onto the floor.

 

It had been always like this. Donghae, having won the Most Handsome Face of Minsoo University the year before, had admirers trailing after him like little ducklings following a mother. He received numerous confessions, uncomfortable amounts of fan letters, and even had two student-organized fan clubs.

If Donghae would at least show an interest to them - Donghae’s usual answer was, “Sorry, I'm not interested right now”, said with such guilt and shame that no one could blame him - he would easily be called the school’s number one king of push and pull.

 

But Sungmin knew. Donghae had a reason. A promise.

 

Donghae squeezed down on the space beside him on the couch. Two grown men were obviously too much for the minuscule couch’s capacity, but somehow the fact had never crossed their minds.

 

“I don't understand,” Sungmin started. “Why would you let go of such good opportunities? You could be the next Kim Heechul by now - the university’s number one heartthrob and playboy.”

 

“… Because I don't want to, Sungmin,” was the short, determined reply.

 

However, all forms of determination left Donghae as he scrunched his face moments after.

 

“But I feel so bad,” Donghae emphasized. His voice was dripping with guilt, and his knitted eyebrows maximized the effect that he was, in fact, telling the truth.

 

Sungmin eyed him with a side glance.

 

“Then why the hell did you reject her in the first place?” He scoffed. “If you’re gonna start on your ‘promise’ bull again, Donghae, I swear I -” Sungmin’s sentence was cut short by the other.

 

“Please, Min.” Donghae exhaled. “You know how much I want to focus on my studies rather than anything else. This promise - I mean, because I promised myself to not indulge in things like dating, I’m pretty determined to keep it that way until graduation.”

 

The slightly older male raised his eyebrows in a scrutinizing manner, and placed his hand on Donghae’s right shoulder. “Listen, Donghae. I understand that you want to graduate with academic excellence and with honours, but honestly, we’re college students. We’re sophomores. Some fun won’t hurt you! Besides, you don't just win the ‘Most Handsome Face’ for nothing, Donghae! You’ve got to do some . Any .”

 

Sungmin pouted, and continued, “Besides, you're being unfair to all of us, Donghae. So many are boiling in jealousy over how many love letters you get in a day! Or how many Valentine’s gifts you get on February 14th! Are you not going to take advantage of that?”

 

The answer was simple; a very Donghae-like answer. “I’m not interested.”

 

- - - - -

 

“Guess who got front row tickets for the upcoming football match?” Sungmin happily announced, clutching two blue and pale yellow tickets in his right hand as he literally skipped into the living room.

 

“No ing way! Those are the hardest things to get on campus every year!,” Donghae widened his eyes in disbelief.

 

Sungmin raised his eyebrows cockily, and stated smugly, “Correction: the hardest thing to get after Choi Siwon’s .”

 

“I thought you didn't like Choi Siwon because of how clingy he is during volleyball practice?”

 

Sungmin smirked. “You’re right, I don’t. It's the truth though. He's so conservative that any sort of adoration dies off in less than a week.”

 

“Such a waste of a good face,” Donghae chuckled, and continued, his voice full of playful doubt. “But whoa. Front row tickets? Tell me, where did you get them from? An underground market?”

 

“If you’re worried for me, I'm flattered,” Sungmin flashed a smirk. “But the tickets are completely legitimate ones. I just traded two of my next volleyball match tickets for these. I have my connections, after all.”

 

“Even if I ask, you're not going to tell me who you traded with, are you?”

 

“Not even a chance.” Sungmin stated smugly.

 

- - - - -

 

A loud knock was heard, and Sungmin got up from the counter chair to get the front door. He rubbed his derriere, grumbling under his breath about a hard and uncomfortable chair. 

 

When he opened the door, an unexpected guest greeted the surprised Sungmin.

 

“Oh, hello.” Sungmin said, his breath hitching soundlessly.

 

There in front of him stood Cho Kyuhyun, “the library assistant” - as Sungmin often told Donghae - who looked flushed as he didn't expect Lee Sungmin, of all people, to answer the door. With a blue polo, jeans, and his trademark framed glasses, Kyuhyun looked absolutely brilliant.

 

“Uh, hello. I’m Cho Kyu - “

 

“Kyuhyun, yeah, I know.”

 

“A-And you’re Sungmin. Uh - I’m here to give Lee Donghae a, a package?” Kyuhyun stuttered, his eyes meeting everywhere but at Sungmin’s.

 

“Ah yes, okay. He’s out now, but you can give it to me and I’ll pass it onto Donghae later.” A hint of disappointment was evident in his tone as he spoke to the younger, although the latter seemed oblivious. 

 

“Okay, okay. Here,” Kyuhyun took out the wrapped box and letter from the paper bag, and handed them to Sungmin. “Uh, it’s not from myself. Please don’t misunderstand. Um - I think the sender signed their name in the letter, but uh - it’s a friend of mine.”

 

Sungmin looked up to meet Kyuhyun’s fluttering eyelids. “Good. I mean, wonderful! I’ll make sure to pass these on.”

 

“Thank you,” Kyuhyun said, and flopped his wrist meekly in an attempt to wave goodbye. “By the way!” He said, right before the door closed on him. “Congratulations on winning the last volleyball match.”

 

“Thanks,” Sungmin stated, and gently shut the door. Behind the closed frame, a faint blush appeared on Sungmin’s cheeks as he closed his eyes and sighed.

 

- - - - -

 

It was coming close to the end of Autumn when Hyukjae came up to Sungmin after classes to exchange game tickets again.

 

The locker room was now brighter than ever, after the school seemed to change the ceiling lights. Sungmin sighed after entering - the flickering seemed to have irritated him the previous time.

 

“Min,” Sungmin heard Hyukjae start timidly. “How's things going with Kyuhyun?”

 

Sungmin answered, nodding his head in some sort of affirmation. “Oh, I’d like to think things are going fine.”

 

“Great. You know, I want you to help me with something. So, I’m like, helping you with Kyuhyun, right? So, I thought that maybe you can help me with someone as well?”

 

The older’s brows flew up to his hairline in a comical manner. “Oh, my! Hyukjae, the football team ace and the rumoured casanova is interested in someone?”

 

“I am not a casanova,” Hyukjae lowered his voice and grunted.

 

The older smiled. “Whatever makes you sleep at night, dear,” Sungmin patted Hyukjae on the shoulders. “So, who is this lucky girl or guy?”

 

Hyukjae seemed to contemplate his answer, taking time to open his mouth. “It’s someone that I knew a long time ago, but I recently found out that he goes to the same university.”

 

“Cute. So, what is it exactly that you want me to do with your problem? I mean, what is your problem?”

 

“Well,” Hyukjae sighed. “It’s a long story, so I’ll explain while we head back. Come on,” The both of them swung their bags over their shoulders and started to head out of the library back to their respective dorm buildings.

 

 

“Actually, speaking of Kyuhyun, a peculiar gift arrived at our dorm the other day.” Sungmin started as the two of them made their way down the grassy path of Minsoo University. “Kyuhyun seemed like he knew the sender, but there was no name - both on the letter and the box of cookies that he got. Weird, don't you think? And what's weirder, is that it seemed like the sender knew Donghae! Talking about the winter holiday and such.”

 

Unbeknownst to him, a single drop of sweat made its way down Hyukjae’s temple. Hyukjae stayed silent.

 

“Hyuk?” Sungmin caught on, realizing the meaning of the silence from the other. “Don’t tell me - ”

 

“Hey!” A sudden shout cut Sungmin’s speech short.

 

Trotting from the other side of the path was Donghae, making his way back from the library.

 

“Oh hey Donghae,” Sungmin waved back casually as they neared each other.

 

“Hello, Donghae. I’m Lee Hyukjae. Nice to meet you,” Hyukjae reaching out a hand that Donghae took instantly.

 

Introductions exchanged, Sungmin spoke up. “Hae,” he asked. “Did we have that leftover salad from yesterday, or did you eat it for breakfast this morning?”

 

 

When Donghae left - I forgot that I had to call my mum today - both Hyukjae and Sungmin burst out into fits of questions.

 

“You did not tell me that he was your roommate!”

 

“Well, you didn’t tell me that your first love was Donghae, of all people!”

 

- - - - -

 

- Donghae -

 

“You know what I’m going to say,” Donghae stated, his voice filled with guilt and the disappointment he felt for the other.

 

“I know,” the girl answered, looking down at her feet.

 

“I’m sorry,” he stated, eyes lowering in guilt.

 

Donghae pursed his lips and hesitantly raised his arm to wave at the retrieving figure of the girl. He scratched the back of his neck and sighed deeply, as if frustrated. Picking up his backpack from the floor where he was caught by surprise when the girl approached him, he set his path back to the dorms instead of his usual hideout comfort haven - the library - where Sungmin was probably waiting.

 

 

Entering college, Donghae made a promise to himself that he would work his best to graduate with honours, to make his parents proud. Being the youngest in his family and seeing his parents constantly praising Donghwa - his older brother - like the brightest star in the millions of others, triggered a competitive side to Donghae. He sweared to himself that he would only look at his studies, and would reserve any kind of, idiotic activities, as he told himself, until after graduation.

 

Besides, he had a promise.

The promise wasn't something that he clearly remembered - more like a fuzz in his brain; a promise that could've just easily been a dream, or the result of his mind constantly being above the clouds during class.

 

It was a boy. A boy, no older than five, wailing about a promise as Donghae embraced him.

 

Donghae knew that if this was real, and not merely a segment of his imagination, it would have something to do with the time when he was in Japan. Nevertheless, he never had the chance to talk about it with his parents, as they suddenly became overwhelmed with school issues - Donghwa’s school issues - and that was precisely when Donghae decided to take his own path in school work; to achieve the highest grades, to achieve the same status as his brother in the eyes of his parents.

 

And then there was Sungmin. Sungmin had always told him to have fun, but honestly, What does he know - he's not the younger one in his family. However, besides their opposition in beliefs, Donghae was forever grateful to have such a wonderful and understanding, well, most of the time, friend. They’ve been sharing dorm rooms since the beginning of their freshmen year, and had become close friends ever since.

 

Reaching his dorm building, Donghae looked up at it, and sighed. He was back early, and he knew he had to explain his ‘promise’ to Sungmin again. He’ll definitely give me , Donghae thought. I just know it.

 

- - - - -

 

The stadium was crowded, as expected. Sungmin and Donghae pushed through rows after rows of people to get to their seats.

 

“I don’t think Kim Ryeowook appreciates us sitting in these front row seats,” Sungmin whispered to Donghae once they settled down, pointing subtly towards their right.

 

Donghae cocked his eyebrows. “Really? How?”

 

“He's glaring. At least, the guy next to him - Kim Jongwoon, was it? - he's glaring. Can't tell the difference. Maybe they think we're a couple or something.”

 

Standing halfway up awkwardly to take his phone out from the back pocket, Donghae scoffed. “Us? Couples? Must be the joke of the century. I mean, everyone knows you’re gay, Min, but remember - I have a reputation going on here.”

 

“Wait - what do you mean, ‘everyone knows I'm gay’?”

 

“Please, your obsession with pink is a major eyesore. Especially since I'm your roommate. Besides, Ryeowook and Jongwoon can’t be vexed about us being a couple; they’re practically attached by the hips!”

 

To this, Sungmin did a dramatic eyeroll, and slowly shook his head.

 

Without warning, a dramatic yelp came from their right side, and when both Donghae and Sungmin fixed their gaze on the field below them, they could see that the teams were coming out onto the field. The captain of the Minsoo football team, the Cymbs, lead his teammates one by one, each wearing their respective uniforms matched with the school colour of navy.

 

“Agh, my male hormones are not calm,” Donghae stated, cheeks flushed rose from excitement.

 

Sungmin dramatically clutched his left chest where his heart presumably was, mimicking Donghae. “Says the guy who refuses to date,”

 

“Touché. How can you be all calm and collected when all these magazine-bodied men are sweating and giving off general iness? And who’s that guy over there?” Donghae retaliated, then pointing over to a person on the field.

 

“Seriously, Donghae? You don’t know the Lee Hyukjae? He’s the midfielder of the team, and according to his fangirls, he’s the ace player. What, find him cute, do you?”

 

“Oh shut up, Min. Don’t you tell me they don’t threaten to - ”

 

Donghae’s sentence was never finished, as the sharp whistle of the referee resonated through the whole stadium, and the gleeful chattering of the audience slowly died down to a murmur.

 

 

They cheered on the Cymbs as one goal turned into two, and to three. As Donghae wiped his sweat off of his forehead with his Cymbs merchandise towel, a small thought swirled around his head.

Lee Hyukjae… Name sounds vaguely familiar. I remember that I used to call my friend from Japan “Hyuk”, but…  Nah, can’t be.

 

Donghae shook his head as he called himself delusional, and kept watching the rest of the game besides Sungmin, a certain friend from long ago completely forgotten and abandoned from his mind.

 

- - - - -

 

When Donghae got back from his classes on a Friday evening, Sungmin was waiting - as usual - on their couch reading the latest magazine article.

 

“I'm back,” Donghae started, taking off his backpack in a careless manner and squeezing into the space next to Sungmin.

 

The older male smiled, and pointed at the dining table where, from Donghae sat, could make out the shadow of a box. “You got a letter - ”

 

Donghae paled, making a face. “Better not be those confession letters. I swear, asking me out face-to-face is something, but delivering a letter to my dorm room is a whole ‘nother thing. Have I not made myself clear the past one and a half year that I do not want to date?”

 

Sungmin raised his eyebrows in an unreadable expression.

“Donghae, listen. It’s not a confession letter - or, at least, I don’t think so. I mean, Kyuhyun didn’t - ”

 

“Kyuhyun? It’s from Kyuhyun? Jesus, just when I thought you two would've made a nice couple - ” he whispered, though not quite quiet enough for Sungmin to not hear.

 

“Do you ever listen?” Sungmin dismissed the younger with a wave of his hand. “I said, it was delivered by Kyuhyun, but it's from somebody else! And I don't think it's a confession letter, either.”

 

“… Interesting.” Donghae said as he tore open the envelope. He almost choked when he read the contents inside the letter.

 

“Dear Lee Donghae,

Hey, I'm Hyuk! Do you remember me? We were friends back in Japan, but oh god. Has it been really 15 years? Can’t believe it.”

 

Donghae let out a barely audible sound. “Hyuk…?”

 

- - - - -

 

“Lee Hyukjae… Midfielder of the campus team, the Cymbs, strikes another goal towards victory,” Donghae whispered the headline of the article to himself as he scrolled down the University website. Was it really Hyuk from 15 years ago? Is that why he felt so familiar with the name? Donghae pondered, but failed to produce an answer.

 

Sungmin had always called him “a little daft”, but at this moment, Donghae seriously didn’t know if this Lee Hyukjae was the Hyuk he remembered in his memories. Donghae had told Sungmin previously that he knew what he felt for ‘Hyuk’ in his early years of his childhood was what he could call ‘admiration’.

 

Snap out of it Donghae! You’re absolutely not helping yourself by looking at Hyukjae’s photos of him playing football! I mean, he is very good looking… But still! This is ing mental! Donghae grabbed his brown locks and ruffled them.

 

Then again, there was the letter. This ‘Hyuk’ and his family wanted to invite him for a family gathering. I mean, I will know someday, right? When I go to this family gathering of theirs, I will see him, right?

 

Donghae abruptly stood up, shaking his head furiously. He needed a break from all this thinking. Donghae picked up his backpack from where he last left it - beside the couch - and headed off to the library.

 

 

Donghae sighed, standing up from the chair by the window, where he always sat. He came to the library to get his mind off of things, but he found it excruciatingly difficult, as all he could see from his seat was that idiot Kim Ryeowook and Kim Jongwoon on the navy couch - together - reading something and giggling. The occasional sight of the Cymbs captain shifting through the shelves in order to search for a book, was absolutely not helping him either. All Donghae could think of, was Lee Hyukjae.

 

He made his way down the path from the library, leading back to his dorm where Sungmin probably was. Donghae kicked a pebble on the street, and watched it skid across the grass surrounding him.

Donghae, never mind that Lee Hyukjae. His mind told him. You’re going to know who ‘Hyuk’ is in a few weeks, anyway.

 

He looked up to see two figures heading his way. He couldn’t believe his eyes. There was Sungmin - and next to him was the person Donghae least expected to be walking with his roommate.

 

“Hey!” Donghae exclaimed, in hopes of the two noticing him.

 

Sungmin waved back as they neared each other, looking somewhat content to be seeing his dorm mate out of their room.

 

“Hey, I’m Lee Donghae,” Donghae took the hand that Hyukjae extended towards him. Donghae could feel himself blush, and purposely looked down at his feet.

 

“Hae,” Sungmin suddenly spoke, making Donghae look up again. “Did we still have that leftover salad from yesterday, or did you eat it for breakfast this morning?”

 

Donghae could only muster a simple “I ate it for breakfast” before he widened his eyes and blushed again. Hyukjae had that look, one that Donghae couldn’t exactly put into clear words and definition.

“I - I gotta go,” he suddenly said, eyelids fluttering at abnormal speed. “I forgot that I had to call my mum today.”

 

After a short “bye” from both parties, Donghae scurried over back to his dorm, and flopped face down on his bed. Sungmin wasn’t going to let him easy this time.

 

- - - - -

 

Donghae was definitely excited to go back home for the holidays. He had always loved the concept of ‘going back home’, and with the Christmas atmosphere mixed in, Donghae almost jumped in glee when his brother came to pick him up.

 

Besides, he was finally going to see Hyuk. As his brother helped him load his trunk onto the car, Donghae imagined the upcoming days to come, and smiled a little to himself. The least he could do was enjoy himself while he could.

 

The car drove on, and as he watched the countryside scenery unfold before his eyes, Donghae drifted off, knowing that it would at least take another hour or so to take them back to home.

 

 

Donghae stirred as he heard soft knocks. When he opened his eyes, he was greeted with a sight that he would never forget.

 

“AHH!” Donghae screamed. Honestly, he had a right to. Someone had a mask of the Grinch, and was knocking on the window of Donghwa’s car. Realising that the situation was probably a prank played out by one of his cousins, Donghae rolled his eyes and carefully got out of the door, ready to interrogate the figure.

 

“You, good sir, scared me to oblivion,” Donghae stated in a scolding manner.

 

The Grinch replied with, “miss me, Lee Donghae?” while he took off his mask. Donghae’s breath hitched as he was faced with none other than Lee Hyukjae.

 

Donghae shakingly raised an accusing finger. “Hyuk?” he questioned.

 

Hyukjae’s face broke out into a huge grin. “You remember!” Donghae reciprocated the action, and tackled the other into a hug.

 

“I’m so glad it was you,” Donghae whispered.

 

- - - - -

 

“So, why are we doing this again?” Sungmin mused, sipping from his coffee cup.

 

“Jus’ reunion,” Hyukjae said, slinging an arm over Donghae. Kyuhyun rolled his eyes.

 

“Obviously, you wanted an excuse to show off being ‘lovey-dovey’ with Donghae,” Kyuhyun slowly spoke.

 

“Seriously, didn’t we see enough of that when we were in uni?” Sungmin joined in, glancing back and forth between the two other Lees.

 

“Hey! We weren’t even dating back then,” Donghae said, mentioning his strict, non-dating lifestyle back in their university days.

 

Kyuhyun shook his head. “Right, as if you two weren’t secretly conjoined or something.” 

 

“I was courting him,” Hyukjae clarified, but was cut off by Sungmin.

 

“And your definition of ‘courting’ is the exact equivalent to ours of ‘PDA-in-public-because-we-obviously-love-each-other’,” Sungmin drawled.

 

“Oh, shut up, will you?” Donghae whacked Sungmin on the back.

 

Kyuhyun chuckled, and Hyukjae joined in. Soon, the four were all laughing, not knowing why. Sungmin wiped a tear off of his face and smiled widely.

 

“I’m so glad we made it this far.”

 

And Hyukjae couldn’t agree more.