Coffee and an Officer

Scarlet Romance

Stars of cotton white drifted slowly, almost dancing, from their place in the blue-grey sky. They twirled, and fluttered, and sailed downwards, weaving amongst themselves to form an array of unpredictable constellations. A woman in her early twenties sat upright in her chair behind her desk, hands propping up her chin. Her expression was serene as she inspected the sky outside the window of the office, hey eyes dancing with wonder and fascination. The sky was not something one could encounter every day in the big, busy city like Seoul. It was certainly a luxury taken for granted, even though this occurred very infrequently. No one ever cared about the beautiful sky or the magnificent beauty of God's creation surrounding them, and they simply bustled about their business taking for granted the gifts they received every day in their life. No one appreciated the time God had granted him or her, and it was only until it was taken from them that they mourned their loss. Giggling softly, the woman shook her head at her thought. There she was being melancholy again. She knew she had to focus her mind on the work before her, but she simply could not.

It had been about four months since Ji Ahn arrived in Korea to teach English. She had been blessed to find a school in the posh district of Gangnam. She had also had made the acquaintance of the Jung sister, Jessica, and Krystal, who were here as students at the prestigious Seoul University.

Shuffling the paper of the report that was due, she profoundly sighed, and reluctantly took a page of the report and stared hard at the paper in an attempt to examine its content closely. “I give up,” she said to herself. Looking at her watch, she noticed it was time to go. She quickly occupied herself by arranging the report in her hand according to the order of pages. Squaring her shoulders, she hoisted herself off the chair and tucked the
stack of papers neatly in her files and left. Teaching was not as easy as she had thought, but the children were well behaved and they loved her as much as she loved them.

Time to relax with a good book and some hot chocolate. Ji Ahn knew exactly where she was headed. Her favorite place, Coffee Cojjee. True that it was a little on the pricey side, but the café was on her way home and the service was excellent. It was super busy during the weekends, so the only time it was not overrun by “fangirls” was during the weekdays. It was known to be the shop of Kim Jaejoong of JYJ/DBSK fame. Ji Ahn had never seen the man in question, but she had seen the photos that hung in the café. He was gorgeous to be sure. However, a man with money and looks had to be conceited she thought to herself. It did not matter because they would probably never meet anyways.

As she was reaching to café, her phone rang. “Hello?”

“Ji Ahn, where are you?”

It was from Jessica. “Where else would I be? I am at the café. Why?”

“I heard a rumor that Jaejoong was going to be at the café today. You are so lucky. I’m still on campus.”

Lifting her eyebrows in mock indignation, she replied, “I’ve heard that before. You have said that at least five times already. Moreover, each time you were wrong. I don’t even know why we’re having this conversation.”

“Yeah, but what if I’m right this time?”

“You’ve said that too. I am hanging up now. See you at home. Bye.”

Silly girl, she thought as she pulled to door to walk into the café.

She opted for a Caramel Macchiato instead and made her way to “her” spot, towards the back of the café. Making herself comfortable, she took her book out and began to read. She did not notice the person who brought her her drink. She merely replied “Komapsumnida”, as she was extremely engrossed in her book.

“Good book?” the young man asked.

“Ye” she responded, not looking up.

“Where are you from?” he asked.

Really? She thought to herself. This time she was forced to look up and direct her attention to the barista talking to her.  To her astonishment, it was not an ordinary barista, but a soldier.  Moreover, a gorgeous one at that. He was tall, muscular build. He made his uniform look like an impeccably tailored suit that showed off broad shoulders.

“Oh, Mianhamnida. I was being rude Seonsaeng-nim.”

“No, I was the one who was being rude, asking you questions. Are you American?”

“Puerto Rican/Korean, so I do understand some Korean.”

He smiled. His coffee-colored eyes reflected his amusement.  He bowed slightly “Forgive me for not introducing myself properly. I am Lee Joon Ki.”

She rose and bowed as well. “Pleased to meet you, I’m You Ji Ahn. “

“I’m sorry to be leaving so quickly, but I have business I must attend to. I hope I can see you more.” He bowed slightly again and then left.

Ji Ahn stood there for a while taking in what had just happened. When she finally regained her senses, she noticed a number written on the napkin next to her drink. Text me, please. –LJK

It had been weeks since he had had a chance to leave the base. He was looking forward to his day off. If only he had been allowed to wear civilian clothing, it would have truly felt like R&R. His battle buddies had told him to try the coffee at Coffee Cojjee, so he managed to find his way there. Lee Joon Ki had been in the army for nearly three years and had risen to the rank of Captain, having graduated from the Korea Military Academy at the top of his class.

He had joined because he wanted to get away from the woman that had betrayed him. His relationship with Jeon Hye Bin had scared him pretty badly. She had cheated on him with his cousin for more than a year and everyone knew but him. He had loved her whole-heartedly.  Just last week he had found out about their marriage. He swore that he would never fall in for anyone again, but instead, he would play the field. That is when he saw her. Dark hair, light eyes, good figure. His first target. He had decided that she would be his first victim. When her order was ready, he silently volunteered to deliver it to her, taking along with it a napkin with his number.

She was so engrossed in her book that she did not even notice him arrive. “Komapsumnida,” she said. “Good book?” the young man asked.

“Ye” she responded, not looking up. “Where are you from?” he asked. He noticed that she let out an annoyed sigh before looking up. Her greenish-blue eyes widened in amazement when she saw him. He too was taken back for he had never seen such eyes before.

 “Oh, Mianhamnida. I was being rude Seonsaeng-nim.”

“No, I was the one who was being rude, asking you questions. Are you American?”

“Puerto Rican/Korean, so I do understand some Korean.”

He smiled. His coffee-colored eyes reflected his amusement.  He bowed slightly “Forgive me for not introducing myself properly. I am Lee Joon Ki.”

She rose and bowed as well. “Pleased to meet you, I’m You Ji Ahn. “

“I’m sorry to be leaving so quickly, but I have business I must attend to. I hope I can see you more.” He bowed slightly again and then left.

This is going to be fun, he mused as he walked away.