A new day

This morning

"You know, I really didn't think we would get here."

Kibum's eyes widened. "What do you mean?"

Minho hastened to assure him. "Nothing, I mean, remember when you were so mean to me...I thought you really hated me."

"Ya! I wasn't the one who was rude. You were the one who seemed so stiff and cold! And anyway it was just because of my accent. If you knew me you would know I didn't mean anything about it." Kibum was about to rant on when he saw Minho's teasing grin. He slapped his hand on Minho's chest. "What did I just say about teasing me??"

Minho chuckled, a deep rumble in his throat. "Ok sorry sorry, I'm not going to offend you so early in the day. Let me go brush my teeth ok, and we can have breakfast together."

Kibum nodded and watched Minho walk out of the room. His eyes softened as he thought back to their conversation. He knew Taemin and Minho had meant to have dinner alone, but Minho also wanted to make sure that he was comfortable, hence including him. That's the kindness of Minho that Kibum had always loved, his need to make sure that the people around him are happy and taken care of.

When Minho got together with Taemin, Kibum had known, of course, just as the others knew. But their affection for the two youngest members of Shinee had left them to keep a protective silence around the couple. Yet, even as Kibum had felt happy for his beloved 'son' Taemin, he had also realised, much to his unwillingness, that he was starting to fall for Minho then. The intense practices and performances they had together only served to bond them even tighter. Despite the very opposite nature of their characters, Minho's easy-going nature and humor never failed to cheer Kibum up, and he had genuinely enjoyed their hangouts together. For the first time, Kibum felt he had found someone he could truly talk to, offload all his thoughts and fears and anxieties and dreams on. Minho never failed to listen silently and whole-heartedly. Nor did he ever offer judgment or opinion, but his eloquent eyes always told Kibum he was there for him.

Kibum was an intensely peceptive person, and saw before Minho did that Taemin was drifting away - he was growing up and was starting to want to assert himself. While no one would acknowledge it, Minho's affection and protectiveness of his maknae was sometimes rather overwhelming, and Kibum could see Taemin chafing at it. But Kibum kept his own counsel, and simply tried to be there for Minho as much as possible when the inevitable break came.

Surprisingly, Minho had recovered faster than Kibum thought he would. One day, Minho looked up at him over their shared meal with his big brown eyes and smiled, really smiled with none of the wistfulness that surrounded him after Taemin had left him, and Kibum's heart leapt into his mouth. He had wrestled with himself long and hard then if he should say anything. But, before he could take a decision, Minho was the one who surprised him. One late night, when they were lounging at the studio after a long day of recordings, Minho had quietly reached over and taken Kibum's hand into his. In front of everyone else. Jinki smiled gently to himself and nodded. Jonghyun giggled. Taemin was sleeping.

They are still best friends, of course. Kibum understands that better than Minho gives him credit for. The camaraderie that Taemin and MInho had formed as the maknaes of Shinee from the very beginning is something irreplaceable. They will always be good friends and so will always want to spend time together after a while. That was why Kibum had declined the dinner invitation, and he knew Jinki and Jonghyun would too. It was quality time for them to spend together, just as Kibum himself would always want to make sure he gets to regularly spend time alone with Jonghyun, who was the very first friend Kibum made when he decided to leave home for Seoul to achieve his dream.

Kibum smiles to himself again and walks over to Minho's closet. Time to pick out a good outfit for Minho. Much as he hates to admit it, while he can never expect to persuade Minho to try more edgy fashions, he does look extremely good whatever he wears. Still, Kibum consider it his responsibility to make sure Minho dresses his best no matter what. After all, reporters and fans are always around.

In the bathroom, Minho is also smiling to himself as he brushes his teeth. He knows Kibum is being considerate of his time alone with Taemin, even though there may a slight jealousy. But he is letting him know that he trusts him.

Sometimes, Minho wonders, he does not deserve this person in his life, someone so loving and funny and understanding, so full of layers of personality and edge that Minho feels he is always discovering more about him everyday. In fact, he may not always understand facets of Kibum's character, such as those really weird clothes and accessories that Kibum adores. But he is always game to go shopping with him and even end up paying if it means bringing a happy smile to Kibum's face (although again he will be darned if he admits that, better to pay while complaining bitterly about it). Minho also reads the editorials that Kibum writes for fashion magazines, and follows his instagram updates religiously. Truth be told, again, he really doesn't understand much of what Kibum writes about, nor can he comprehend why Kibum would want to be recording himself live when he is not required to for work. But, he is happy because it makes Kibum happy. Just as he knows Kibum is equally happy to support his love for sports and need to watch every English Premier League football game together even if he still cannot remember what offside means to this day.

When he was with Taemin, Minho muses, the happiness he felt was almost ethereal, unreal-like. The intensity of their love was so consuming, it was almost as if it was difficult for Minho to notice anything else. Maybe that was why Minho always knew, deep down in his heart, it could not last. Taemin is precious to him, but age and experience have taught him wisdom and he knows they belong in two different worlds that are apart more than they touch. The one thing that bind them is their brotherly affection for each other that is as indestructible as diamonds, but Minho is happy to see his angel fly where he will, by himself.

With Kibum, however, it is completely different. Kibum is here, right here, and right now, warm and loving and naggy and scolding and real. And Minho is never letting go.

He spits out the last mouthful of water and walks back into his bedroom. Kibum is standing in front of his closet in deep concentration. The warm sunlight that is coming through the window reflects off his perfectly-coiffed jet-black hair and breaks into a thousand sparkles on the opposite wall. Suddenly, the memory floods back into Minho's head. This was the dream he was just having this morning - a dream of the morning after they had spent their first night together. Kibum was sitting on top of him with the sun on his back so that he looked like he was glowing. Minho's hands were intertwined with Kibum's, and he was feeling somewhat shy.

"Did you like it?"

Kibum smiled a bit wickedly. "It was ok I suppose. I mean, one can say... I have had better."

Minho blushed. "Sorry, I don't think I am very good at this. Maybe we shouldn't have rushed it."

Kibum's face changed to disbelief. He looked at Minho through narrowed eyes and realised he was serious. Somehow it was even more endearing, this overly confident athlete with ultra competitive tendencies was actually so shy in bed. He bent his head down and slowly kissed Minho on the lips.

"Let's practice again. I think you will get better immediately."

Minho gaped a little. Then he felt Kibum's hands further down and started to feel light-headed. "Um. Ok. That is, maybe we should check the schedule..."

"Screw it."

Kibum turned around and saw Minho staring at him intently. "What is it?" Without waiting for him to respond, he continues. "Would you like to be preppy or more professional-looking today? I'm thinking preppy, because you just wore that suit to the award shows. You did look good in it though. But let's dress down a bit more today, ok? I like this cardigan and its light, good for summer. Then maybe these chestnut pants"

Minho shook his head to clear his thoughts. So that was why he woke up so happy today. It was a lovely dream. But even so a dream is just a dream, and the real deal is right in front of him. "Ok dear, anything you say." He held out his hand. "Let's go eat."