Minho wakes up

This morning

Minho woke up smiling.

He had had a good dream, something that made him feel all happy and tingly all over and to want to continue sleeping on. However, as most of his dreams do, this one was quickly disappearing already even as he struggled to keep his eyes closed and grasp at the last abstract images from the dream. Too bad though, his body did not help but instead seemed intent on making him wake up. Slowly and surely, Minho's long eyelashes fluttered as his eyes unwillingly opened up to stare at his ceiling.

It was late morning, he could guess that much from the warmth of summer sun on his face. He could hear the sounds of regular bustle outside of his room in the apartment, which is not surprising since just about everyone else wakes up earlier than him. Even after all these years, s cannot help but marvel at how Minho continues to struggle vigorously against waking up early, unless he has a schedule, of course. Today, however, very happily he has none, which is why despite having fully woken up, he is able to continue to stretch out so luxuriously in his bed.

A trill suddenly sounded from his phone - someone had sent him a message. Minho reached out one of his long arms to grab the phone from the table next to his bed. His eyes widened - it was Taemin! A message from Taemin is a rarity even among the five Shinee members, as Taemin is notorious for being extremely slow to respond to any texts. It had even been the cause of more than one scolding Taemin had incurred from his normally-loving hyungs. Even more rare, Minho had not sent him any messages in the first place, so Taemin had initiated conversation.

"Min, I'm flying back tomorrow now, my schedule was changed so I'll be back earlier. I'm so happy! Will you be home?"

A big smile stretched across Minho's face. "Of course Tae. Let's have dinner if you can make it in time."

"Yes I will be. OOO are you buying me dinner??"

"Haha funny. You know I will end up buying anyway. See you soon Tae."

Ahh, so Taemin will be back tomorrow instead of next week as they originally thought. Tae's success as a solo artiste had meant that he's away a lot more than he ever had been from s, and they had all missed their maknae, even while they were more proud than they can describe. Minho decided to make sure he picks out a good restaurant to bring Taemin to, he will have a healthy appetite as always and Minho cannot pass up the opportunity to spoil his Tae.

Another trill from his phone. Taemin had sent him a goofy picture of a dancing frog with big bulbous eyes. It's an old joke, that Minho looks like a frog. But it does not stop the tenderness that floods through Minho. In his heart, Minho knows that while Taemin is all grown-up and is now considered one of the iest and most desirable idols, he will never be anything more than the shy and timid little boy that he first met 10 years ago.

The friendship that had sprung up between the two of them had been instantaneous and unspoken. While they each formed deep bonds with the other members, there was always a special kinship between Minho and Taemin that was different from everyone else. Maybe this was because unlike the other three whom had all possessed a quick wit and willingness to speak in front of the camera, Minho and Taemin had initially struggled with their natural shyness and came off as extremely awkward and stiff. There were even polls that labelled them as the two 'unfunny' ones in Shinee, and emcees seemed to take especial delight in mocking them about this.

Looking back, Minho realised that while he really used to dread it everytime he had to attend a variety show or do an interview, he took heart only because Taemin would be next to him and they could urge each other on. When he started taking part in Dream Team and making a name for himself, Taemin was his closest confidante and always the one Minho turned to when he was crushed over losing a particular challenge. He knew that the other members, while always supportive, always thought Minho took these competitions way too seriously. Taemin was the only one who never questioned his burning desire to win but simply accepted and encouraged him. Taemin understood ambition.

Minho swung his long legs over his bed and walked over to his chair where his plain cotton t-shirt lay neatly folded. He pulled it on against his bare skin and his laptop on his table. It's his habit to check his work emails and daily news on Shinee in the morning, before starting his day. These days, again unsurprisingly, most of the news are about Taemin, and his upcoming third solo comeback. The forums are full of posts and images by Taemints, who are rejoicing that they will be able to devour a whole new album from their idol very soon.

Dreamily, Minho's eyes roved to the window. His thoughts are still in the past - the long nights up playing video games with Taemin (with desperate attempts to keep quiet because they will get yelled at by the other three otherwise), adventurous eating trips where they would happily order everything on the menu, and doing schoolwork together. Minho had known, not long after debut, that he loved and treasured this boy as he can ever bring himself to love someone, but he was also content to keep it that way without changing the status quo. He was just happy to be there to protect his maknae. There was that one kiss on Dream Team, of course, that had startled him, but Taemin's nonchalant reaction to it afterwards had convinced him it was just an accident.

And then, one night, imagine his surprise when he woke up to Taemin crawling into bed with him. His eyes were bigger than ever as they fixed on Taemin's face, just inches above his, smiling mysteriously. After what felt like hours looking at each other, Minho slowly cleared his throat and tried to speak, but Taemin gently shook his head. One hand curled into Minho's fingers. Another hand felt its way down Minho's bare stomach in a way that made him tremble. He knew he should do something, but his brain and limbs seemed frozen. Taemin's mouth quirked again looking at him.

"Do you want to Min? Because I do... "