baby, don't cry

약속 (Promise)

 

Chanyeol panted as the twelve of them stepped off the stage, looking back at the still cheering audience. It was their first ever concert, he had never expected so many people to show up, to see them chanting and screaming their names. 

It was all so surreal. All of this was, all the hard work they've done as trainees to get to where they are now. To look out into the sea of people to support the newly debuted group with twelve dorks. 

Once off stage, he noticed that this was going to be his life from now on. He won't lie, he was afraid. What if he messed up the dance routine? In front of all those people... that'd be crushing. 

"Hey! Chanyeol! Are you alright?" A voice asks from behind him, only turning around to see EXO-M's leader, Yifan. 

"Of course." He gives the Chinese-Canadian man a quick smile before running over to the table to scoop up three plastic water bottles and chug them down as if he hadn't had water in a lifetime. Throwing the empty bottles behind him as he finished them up, causing a couple to hit the second youngest member of EXO-M, Kim Jongdae, stage name Chen.

"Watch where you're throwing." The no-longer confident voice quietly says, picking up the empty bottles and throwing them into the recycling bin. Chanyeol glanced behind him only to see that the short brown-haired vocalist was gone.

Chanyeol just sighed and cracked opened another water bottle, downing it before grabbing his casual clothes to change into before heading to the shower room. He knew that the other members would soon catch up with him, that they'd talk about how the concert went.

When he got to the shower room, he didn't expect to see a sobbing Jongdae sitting on the tiled ground while choking out things in Mandarin to Yixing. He'd never seen Yixing this open and caring toward anybody. But then again, Yixing wasn't quite open to the Korean members yet because of the language barrier. 

He didn't understand what the two were saying, but he could tell that Yixing was trying to get him to calm down as he brushed his wet hair and made a "sh" sound.

Chanyeol stood there quietly before scratching his nape and going over to one of the other showerheads and turning it on. Hoping that the water that poured down on his head would block out the sounds of Jongdae's whimpers and sniffles.

By the time Chanyeol was done in the shower, the two bodies that once sat under the hot droplets were gone and his fingers were pruney. 

"Chanyeol?! Are you alright?" The voice that belonged to EXO-K's leader called into the shower room, worry in his voice as Chanyeol just chuckled and called back a "Yeah, be out in a second." Which he got the reply of "Well, okay, but you've been in there for a good thirty-five minutes now!" Then the sound of the heavy door closing.

His eyes widen when he had how long he stayed in there, not doing anything. Had he been lost in his thoughts? Of course, he had been. Chanyeol hadn't even realised that he had been thinking so hard. About what? Well, about everything really. Especially seeing the man who was older than him by a couple months completely break down.

In some other man's arms.

He jumped a bit when he heard his thoughts almost shout that at the back of his head. Why would it matter who was holding the incredibly upset male? Why did he have a sharp jealous feeling in the pit of his stomach as he almost slipped on the tile.  

He brushed off the feeling as he quickly dried himself off and changed, towel drying his hair as he walked out to see Jongdae laughing with Baekhyun as if nothing had happened prior to coming out again. 

It was like everyone so oblivious to his puffy eyes and sniffly nose. Everyone but him and Yixing who kept shooting the boy worried glances.

Seriously, how could he just brush something off like that? Chanyeol starred at Jongdae for a few minutes before the older realised and gave him a look of 'Don't tell anybody.' But he didn't catch that as soon a pair of hands clapped in front of his face.

"You okay?" Minseok, the eldest of the twelve asked, getting a meek nod in response. "I'm just fine." He bit his tongue before he could say that he should be more worried about the one with a kitten smile.

"Alright, well, let's start packing onto the bus before Sehun and Jongin make any more stupid bets." With that, Chanyeol took a few steps over to the water bottle table and grabbed a couple, then grabbed his black dirt stained duffle bag and hiked it onto his shoulder.

When the bus was packed, most members went to their beds on the tour bus and the rest was pretty much dead to the world, besides Yixing and Jongdae who were whispering to themselves, which caused the burning flame of jealousy to light in his stomach again.

After a few minutes, Yixing finally got up and said a heavily accented "Goodnight."

That left both Jongdae and Chanyeol in the quite bus, the only sounds coming from Yifan's snoring at the wheels rolling on the road. Jongdae looked at his lap as Chanyeol let out a small sigh, going to the other side of the bus to sit on the almost identical sofa that he had been resting.

"Hey..." He greets in a hushed tone, causing the older's head to raise and look over at him. "Hi," He greeted back as he shifted into a more comfortable position, which caused their knees to bump.

"Are..are you okay?" He asks, not daring to look down at their touching knees, afraid that he'd say or do something stupid. The question obviously caught him off guard as his eyes widen before going back to normal with a forced laugh. "Y-Yeah! Why wouldn't I b-be!?" He says with a small stutter. 

Chanyeol, however, did not buy what he was selling. "You don't have to lie to me." He mumbled, once again, catching him off guard. "I'm not." Another lie, which caused Chanyeol to shake his head and take Jongdae by the wrist and pull him up with him.

"Sure, but Jongin and Sehun tampered with your bed, and I'm the only one up, so you'll have to share with me." - A lie told by Chanyeol, who just wanted to make sure Jongdae wouldn't feel alone during the night or have to feel like he did earlier. Maybe he'd ask about why he was crying in the shower room, but for now, he was pulling Jongdae to his twin sized bed.

He got in first, scooting so he was against the wall, before patting the spot for him to get in as well. Which took a good twenty minutes before a sigh was heard, followed by a dip in the bed and another body being pressed against Chanyeol's own.

During the night, Chanyeol had ended up protectively big spooning Jongdae as if he were the most precious teddy bear in the world.