Meeting the Queen

Tea Time In The Palace

2nd year (Before Chapter 2 of of Part 3: Tea Time In The Palace)

 

Mom: Woon brought a girl home

 

With one single message, all her three girls were suddenly active in their groupchat, a group unknown to their two boys. It's just a little girl talk.

 

Younghee: I demand a picture!

Jiwon: So how long?

Younghee: She better be pretty!

Younghee: I sure hope Woon knows how to pick!

Sojin: Mom. Send us a photo.

Jiwon: Mom?

 

Mrs. Jung smiled widely. Taekwoon's older sisters may not baby their youngest as openly as before, but they still poke around about his life from time to time.

 

One thing they told their mother before Younghee started college was that they have to be informed about any girl news that can happen while they're away.

 

She peeked at the two youngsters in the kitchen. According to Taekwoon, he currently owes his friend a meal. Though he hasn't explained why he owes her one.

 

It had been more than a month ago when he started making two packed lunches, saying it was for his practice partner who makes all the cookies and brownies he keeps bringing home.

 

Stealthily, she snapped a picture of the two of them and quickly sent it to her girls.

 

Sojin: She looks tall

Younghee: A lot taller than Joohyun, that's for sure

Mom: She's the one Woon was taking home for a month

Jiwon: The one who injured herself?

Younghee: The "she makes the best sweets" partner?

Sojin: What was the name again? All I remember is Woon calling her a "queen"

Jiwon: Hiyo?

Younghee: Gayeon?

Mom: I think her name was Hayeon

 

"I'm home!" 

 

The three people in the house all turned to the front door where the head of the Jung household was removing his coat. Like what she did when Mrs. Jung arrived, she hurried to the living room and gave a polite bow, "Good afternoon, sir. Sorry for the intrusion. I'm Cha Hayeon, Taekwoon's friend." she introduced.

 

Mr. Jung seemed surprised for a moment then snapped his fingers, "Queen Hayeon! Right?"

 

At the words, Hayeon turned and glared at the boy who pretended like he heard nothing. "Taekwoon!" she exclaimed, marching back in the kitchen while Taekwoon tried to escape to the other side of the table.

 

"I regret agreeing for that stand-in favor now!"

 

"No take-backs! You already said yes! And I'm already cooking for payment!"

 

"I hate you!"

 

Mr. Jung's hearty laugh disrupted their little chase, followed by the words "Okay. Enough with the lover's quarrel. I brought dumplings."

 

Curious to see their reactions, Mrs. Jung looked at the kids only to find them staring dumbly at the adults, with Hayeon halfway to hitting Taekwoon.

 

"...wait. You actually thought we're together?" Taekwoon asked confused.

 

Seeing how they reacted, Mrs. Jung faced her husband and gave a little shake of her head. Thankfully, her husband got the message quickly enough, giving another laugh, "I'm just joking."

 

Their son gave them that look that says "Not funny." and Hayeon was quick to hit his arm. Taekwoon glared with a "What was that for?" 

 

"Your dad brought you food! Be thankful." she scolded.

 

It was amazing, to see someone who can read Taekwoon as well as his family. And if they're getting this right, it wasn't long since they became friends.

 

The continuous vibration of her phone brought Mrs. Jung back to her conversation with her daughters.

 

Younghee: That's right! She's that Queen Hayeon Woon keeps talking about

Jiwon: So how long have they been together?

Sojin: 1 month?

Jiwon: 2?

Jiwon: Mom?

Younghee: Mommmmm?

Mom: Sorry

Mom: Dad just arrived

Mom: Also, I don't think they're together

Jiwon: Oh come on

Jiwon: Woon rarely talks but then she's the only one he ever talks about

Younghee: If I wasn't in school with him, we wouldn't even know he was dating Joohyun back then

Sojin: Maybe we should meet her then

Sojin: When are you guys free?

Jiwon: Next month

Jiwon: Dad's birthday

Younghee: Sweet! Me too!

Sojin: Okay! Perfect excuse to have her over!

 

Mrs. Jung smiled to herself, looks like her girls are planning to "assess" Taekwoon's friend. Well, she's interested as well, to see how Hayeon and Taekwoon would react. Although, based on their earlier reaction, there really is nothing official about them but being friends. Plus, Taekwoon has no reason to hide his relationship if they are together.

 

~*~

 

"Woon! Marry her!" Jiwon exclaimed in between bites of the red velvet cake Hayeon baked for the occasion. Taekwoon had brought her over the day before so she could bake the cake at their house so it will be ready for the day. He also shouldered all the expenses for it, since it's a personal request and would be for his entire family to eat.

 

"How the hell did you score someone like Hayeon!" Younghee followed, "She's as tall as me, is pretty, is a dancer and can bake the best sweets I've tasted."

 

Sojin watched her, how she would react to the compliments. They had talked about a little teasing to know if she's not actually dating their brother or just hiding it.

 

But except for a light hit on Taekwoon's arm and an "I'm glad they liked the cake." she didn't even blush or looked awkwardly at Taekwoon. And Taekwoon... Well... Their brother just looked done.

 

"So they really aren't a thing?" Sojin whispered to their mother.

 

"Makes you wish all the more that they are, huh?" she whispered back and Sojin can't help but agree.

 

She had never seen Taekwoon this comfortable to anyone but them. Openly fighting with Hayeon on the table, shoving her back when she does, tapping his friend in a silent request for another slice and not to mention Hayeon reading him like an open book despite the lack of words.

 

If she really is a girlfriend, she'd be more self conscious, trying to be perfect in the eyes of Taekwoon's family, but there was none of that here. Right now, she's just... well... a friend, invited over for a little birthday celebration.

 

"Uhm... here. Taekwoon will finish this and you haven't eaten a bite." Hayeon offered, pushing the last slice of cake to Sojin's direction. "Wait. Maybe you don't like sweets?"

 

Sojin smiled and took the plate Hayeon was offering, "Everyone here has a sweet tooth. Thank you for this."

 

"It's fine. Taekwoon promised me a hamburger meal in exchange." she declared proudly.

 

Yeah. They really aren't a thing.

 

"You ate my cake! Taekwoon!" Hayeon exclaimed, chasing Taekwoon to the living room.

 

"But it sure would be nice if they are, right?" Sojin turned to her left and found their dad looking at the same direction she's looking at, at Taekwoon trapped in a choke hold by Hayeon.

 

"Yeah."

 

-----------------------------------

Sojin - eldest, 21 years old, 4th yr college

Jiwon - 2nd oldest, 20 years old, 3rd year college

Younghee - youngest daughter, 18 years old, 1st year college

Taekwoon - youngest and only son, 16 years old, 2nd year high school