Her World

Unlikely Heroes

Seolmi heard a creak in the floorboards from the room next door and she immediately crouched low, staying hidden behind the dresser of the young girl who lives in this house. The moon shone bright tonight; there were no clouds in sight to dim down the moon’s glow. The moonlight peeks through the slight opening in the room’s curtains, giving light to the pale pink walls. Stuffed animals of different sizes and colors lined the small twin-sized bed that was across the room. Right next to the bed, a wide range of toys could be seen. Dolls, playsets, and a children’s make up set was strewn across the floor.

 

The hunter sighed with a longing look on her face. This was the dream room for any little girl. Seolmi recalled wanting such a room when she was about 6 years old but her face hardened into a scowl when she was reminded of where she came from. A room like this? Yeah right… she thought as she had flashbacks to the indecent foster home that she was forced to live in at the age of 6. Seolmi forced any thoughts of her past out of her head when she remembered she was on a hunt right now. Ugh, what am I doing? I can’t get off track when this family needs me, she mentally reprimanded herself. She reminded herself that she was here because a vengeful spirit was haunting the house of an innocent family who moved in only a couple weeks ago. Apparently, the parents were waking up in the morning to random scratches on their body and their daughter, Priscilla, claimed to see a strange woman looming over the foot of her bed at night.

 

After a bit of research, Seolmi found out that a woman who lived in this house in the 1940’s had died after her husband had gone crazy one night and killed her and her daughter. The daughter was only 5 years old and her bed was most likely in the room that the little girl who lives here today sleeps in, which explains why Priscilla was seeing the woman at the end of her bed every night.

 

Seolmi sighed. It was all really sad, to be honest. She related to the feeling of wrongfully losing a loved one. However, it doesn’t make it okay for the person to come back as an evil spirit and try to take revenge on innocent citizens. She had to get rid of the woman’s spirit before she caused the family some serious harm. She knew they were safe at a motel tonight, upon Seolmi’s request that they give her space to work alone to eliminate the spirit. The family had happily agreed and thanked her endlessly for what she was doing but the hunter told them it was only her job. And that is why she is hiding behind a little girl’s dresser at 2am.

 

She slightly readjusted her uncomfortable position and winced when she felt a cramp creeping up her left leg from being crouched too long. She was about to straighten out her legs when she suddenly heard footsteps outside the door that was not 2 yards away from her. Seolmi immediately tensed at the alert going off in her head. She calmed herself down and got ready to fight.

 

At that moment, she saw the ghost woman walk through the door, clad in a torn dirty dress that reached the floor. Seolmi could immediately tell she was dealing with a ghost by the bit of blue light that emitted from the woman. She looked about 30 years old but her sunken eyes looked like that of an old grandma. Seolmi immediately noticed a big bloody spot below the ghost’s chest and she knew that’s where the woman’s husband had stabbed her to death.

 

The ghost made her way to the bed at the end of the room. Seolmi stayed quiet, hidden in the shadow of the dresser. The ghost stopped at the foot of the bed and reached out a hand to slowly lift the blanket. She let out a surprised yell when she noticed the little girl’s bed was empty.

 

“WHERE IS SHE?!” the woman shrieked, panic and anger evident in her voice.

 

Seolmi used this distraction as her moment to attack. She quickly screwed open the bottle of holy water in her hand and jumped out of her hiding spot.

 

“She’s not here,” Seolmi gravely informed the ghost.

 

The spirit turned around in gasped in shock, realizing what was going on after spotting the bottle of clear liquid in the hunter’s hand.

 

“No,” she whispered and attempted to fade away but it was too late.

 

Seolmi quickly threw the holy water onto the ghost and waited. The ghost let out a shrill scream that echoed throughout the house as she fell to the ground. Steam rose from the ghost’s skin as if scalding hot water had touched her instead.

 

“WHO ARE YOU?” the woman angrily demanded, a threatening look in her eyes. But Seolmi knew the ghost couldn’t move, not until the holy water dried off and that would take at least 10 minutes.

 

“I’m a hunter,” Seolmi calmly replied. “And you shouldn’t be here. The family who lives here now has nothing to do with you.”

 

“He killed me and my child!” the woman spat.

 

“Yes, Mr. Kang Mansoo killed you and your child. But he is long gone. He was executed more than 50 years ago,” Seolmi explained.

 

“I don’t care what happened to that filthy trash! I WANT THE LITTLE GIRL RIGHT NOW!” the ghost screamed. Seolmi shook her head.

 

“Sorry, but you don’t belong here now. This isn’t your home anymore,” Seolmi said as she took something out of her back pocket.

 

The ghost’s eyes widened in horror as she saw what it was.

 

“N-NO! NO!! I WANT TO STAY HERE. I WANT MY CHILD!” the woman struggled, attempting to fade away and teleport. But the holy water that clung to her dress kept her where she was.

 

“I can’t let you stay here,” Seolmi finalized before taking the flashlight in her hand on switching it on.

 

White light. The only thing that can kill an evil ghost. The woman on the ground screamed as she started to fade away. But this time, fade away for good. Seolmi pursed her lips into a thin line as the ghost’s screams started to get quieter and eventually fade away with the ghost itself. Soon, silence enveloped the room and it was as if nothing evil had ever haunted the house in the first place.

 

Seolmi sighed as she clicked off her flashlight and put it back into her pocket. She picked up her other things and slowly made her way down into the kitchen. Most people wouldn’t consider what she does for a living as their dream job. Hunters’ jobs are dangerous, messy, and they constantly have to move around. Seolmi spends most of her nights at a motel or a friend’s house if she has one in the area where she has a job. No one in their right mind would willingly put themselves in danger by fighting monsters. But if people like Seolmi don’t do the job, who will?

 

Most hunters end up becoming what they are because a loved one was killed by the very things they hunt today. Seolmi is one of those people. Ever since the age of 6, she has been alone. No parents. No siblings. No relatives that cared enough to even give her a call. Seolmi briefly recalled how alone she felt at the funeral of her family members before quickly pushing down the painful memory. Maybe if she refuses to think about it, she’ll one day forget about it. But Seolmi knows that’s only wishful thinking.

 

The girl looks for a pen and piece of paper once she’s in the kitchen and finds them in the first drawer she opens. She quickly scribbles something down on the post-it before leaving the room.

 

It’s been done.

 

-S

 

When Seolmi reaches the front door of the house, she hesitates before stepping out of the house. She looks back and feels a pang of jealousy at the life this family is living. Normal dinners with everyone at the table, praising the mother for her delicious homemade cooking. Movie nights where the daughter is tucked between her two parents, laughing happily.

 

I wonder what it’s like, the girl thought before finally stepping out of the house and closing the door behind her. She got into her car that was parked along the driveway and some music. She rolled down the window and drove off into the night, not letting herself look back at the house again.

 

 

 

 A/N: Hi everyone! First chapter is up! I know this chapter doesn’t have BTS in it but do not fret! They are coming soon :) I just needed to show you guys what a typical day in Seolmi’s life is like. Hopefully I will upload again tomorrow!