Chapter Three

Just Leave

“I’m glad to see you,” Kihyun says plainly, a gentle smile quirking up his lips. Changkyun returns the expression despite his growing nerves, finding it easy to do.

“I just wanted to thank you for the other night,” he says sheepishly, pressing his lips together as he attempts to control the churning of his gut. “You were very kind, and I—”

“Think nothing of it,” Kihyun interrupts, waving a dismissive hand. “When I see such a cutie in need, I just can’t help myself.”

Changkyun doesn’t know what’s more shocking, the fact someone as attractive as Kihyun calling him cute, or the unreadable light within the older’s eyes very much telling him there’s more to the compliment than just friendliness. He’s never been the recipient of such a look before, even counting all the times he’s been looked at by Jinsoo. 

The man gulps at remembering his boyfriend, and suddenly feels very… dirty. His guilt from before multiplies tenfold as Jinsoo’s name comes up in his mind, and he bites hard on his lower lip to try and quell his own turbulent feelings. What he’s doing isn’t even half as bad as what Jinsoo has done, he knows that. 

But, that doesn’t help his own shame at the situation. 

“Did you want anything?” Kihyun offers suddenly, noticing Changkyun’s shift in mood. “It’s my treat if you do.”

“No thank you, hyung,” Changkyun answers, standing as he speaks. “I really ought to be going. I just came by to say thanks…” Kihyun stands as well, a small pout forming on his lips.

“Oh, okay…” he says, not quite believing the younger yet not sure why. “If you need anything, you know where to find me. I’m here every day, at one time or another.” Changkyun nods, but can’t bring himself to say anything as he hurries from the café. 

Kihyun watches as he goes, a concerning light remaining in his eyes.


“Jinsoo-hyung!” Changkyun calls as he enters the apartment. “I’m home!” He slips out of his shoes and goes towards the study, where he’d last left Jinsoo when he’d left for classes. It’s been almost a month since he’d last been to the café, and last since Jinsoo had cheated on him, and they’ve fallen back into their old routine, from before any of this had happened, and Changkyun couldn’t be happier.

“Kyunnie!” Jinsoo greets as the younger enters the room. He spins around in his wheeled desk chair, and meets him halfway across the small space to give him a bone-crushing hug. Changkyun sighs contentedly, pushing thoughts of his classes away as he nuzzles into the older man’s chest. Whenever Jinsoo cheats on him, Changkyun has noticed, the older showers him with affection even more so than usual until months after. 

It’s an awful trade-off, granted, but Changkyun’s grown used to it. 

“How were classes?” Jinsoo asks as he pulls away. Changkyun hums, shrugging. 

“They were fine,” the younger replies. “I have a lot of studying to do, though. And there’s a paper due Monday that I’ve got to start on this weekend.”

“I have a better idea,” Jinsoo tells him, taking him by the hand and pulling him over. Changkyun takes a seat in the brunette’s lap, smiling at how the older’s arms wrap around his waist to keep him steady. Jinsoo nods at the computer screen, where displayed is an ad for a romantic getaway weekend. 

The younger man’s heart stutters, his face lighting up with joy… before he sees it. The blinking tab, indicating a new message from B311…

Changkyun his lips, gulping hard as his gaze falls to his hands. Jinsoo notices the shift in mood, and his hold on the younger tightens.

“What’s wrong? Don’t you like the idea?” 

“You’re talking to him again…” Changkyun mutters before he can stop himself. Jinsoo feigns confusion, asking the younger just what he’s talking about, but Changkyun only points silently at the blinking tab. Jinsoo makes a small ‘oh’, as if realizing just then he’d left it open, or something. 

B311 is the first man Jinsoo cheated on Changkyun with… Or, at least, the first Changkyun knows about. He’d found their online correspondences by coincidence one day, having logged on to Jinsoo’s computer to do a school assignment as his ty laptop was acting up again, and the computer was open on that window. Changkyun still doesn’t know who that man is in real life, but he knows the two had gone to meet in person multiple times for… special visits. 

Jinsoo had said that he’d called it off with the other man.

He’d lied.

He’d said that would be the last time he’d cheat on him, ever…

He’d lied.

Jinsoo begins to explain, smooth words falling from his lips. He’s always been so silver-tongued, making it easy for Changkyun to believe whatever he says. A silent tear falls from Changkyun’s eye, and he reaches up to angrily wipe it away, whirling his head around to ready himself for a fight.

But, not this time.

This time, he remembers the comforting touch of the barista he hasn’t seen since the last time. He recalls how the older had told him he shouldn’t be with someone who makes him cry.

Why am I doing this…? Changkyun can’t help but wonder. He can’t think of why he possibly should be putting up with this anymore… Surely being alone and broke is better than being with someone who cheats and lies just to have somewhere to live.

So, he stands from his perch, pulling himself forcefully from Jinsoo’s arms, and leaves the room. Jinsoo follows, but he doesn’t say a word. He merely gets out his two suitcases, and thanks his lucky stars he’s never been much of a packrat as he gets his things together.