Chapter One

Just Leave

Changkyun hums a delightful tune under his breath as he fumbles for his keys, his arms full of groceries. He hasn't told his boyfriend yet, but he's planned a very special evening for them. Between work, school, and… other things, the two haven't had much time to spend together. However, Changkyun hopes to change that.

 

Sure those other things, other people, have worked hard to get between them, but he knows that if he works hard enough remind his boyfriend of how much they love each other, then everything will be ok. So, he's sure that if he manages to cook his boyfriend his favorite meal, which honestly would be quite the feat, then that'll just be he first step in rekindling their relationship. 

 

With an uncharacteristically wide smile, Changkyun finally manages to open the door, excitement and anxiety filling his mind. He isn't exactly the best cook in the world, he knows, but surely if he works hard enough he’ll manage it. He goes to the kitchen and begins unpacking the groceries, keeping out everything he’ll need. He pulls his phone from his pocket and opens his web browser to glance over the recipe once more before beginning. As he goes to set the device down, a sudden bump from down the hall makes him jump. 

 

Changkyun frowns confusedly, grasping his phone tightly as he moves to investigate. His boyfriend isn't supposed to be home until much later. He knows because he had texted earlier just to be sure, not wanting the surprise to be ruined. He creeps down the hall, another thump reaching his ears. This time, it's clear it’s coming  from the bedroom. Hesitation fills him as he reaches the door and reaches out to open it. 

 

His heart drops at the scene awaiting him. Tears sting his eyes as the feeling of betrayal and hurt overtake his mind. His boyfriend and some random man are lying together on the bed he shares with Changkyun, roughly making out, stripping each other. 

 

Changkyun gulps hard, trying to keep himself from crying. He runs from the apartment before either can pull away and notice him. He slams the door behind himself, unbidden tears stinging his eyes. 

 

 

He walks along the sidewalk, evening giving way to night. His hands are shoved into his pockets, his eyes downcast as tears stream freely down his face. He can't believe it's happened again. Jinsoo had sworn he wouldn't ever even dream of cheating on him again... Of course, this wouldn't be the first time he'd lied about that. 

 

I should leave him, Changkyun thinks for umpteenth time since this string of behavior began. He has to fight back a sigh at this, though, knowing it to be impossible. What if there's no one else out there for me? I mean, he was the only man to even notice that I exist ever since middle school, much less be willing to date me. Besides, I can't financially afford to live on my own, not with my crappy job… 

 

I love him, and I won't leave him just because things are hard right now. One day he’ll wake up and realize how badly this hurts me, and he’ll stop it once and for all. Who knows? Maybe this is the last time he’ll do this. Maybe it'll only take this last time to get it out of his system. If that's the case, then I'm definitely not leaving him. 

 

Changkyun sniffles, his tears finally coming to an end. He always managed to talk sense into himself before doing anything rash. He knows Jinsoo is the one for him, and that this phase will come to an end. Jinsoo had told him so, and he has no reason to distrust his hyung. 

 

Suddenly, the clouds that have been looming all day break open with a crack of thunder. Lightning flashes in the sky. Changkyun hunches his shoulders forward as he quickens his pace, luckily sighting a nearby bus stop. He takes shelter under the awning, running a hand through his hair. He looks around for a street sign or something, having been too distraught before to pay attention to where he was heading before. 

 

He sighs heavily, rubbing his face with his hands. How had he gotten this far from the apartment without even realizing? It isn't so far away that he won't be able to get back without a cab, but it's too far to walk in the rain. He’ll be chancing a cold if he tries before at least waiting for this downpour to lessen a bit. He looks around for a nearby building to take shelter in. 

 

He's relieved to see a café not too far away, just down the block, shining like a sparkling gem in the dark. He hurries after it, bending his head forward to avoid his face getting wet. 

 

 

The last thing Kihyun expects tonight is to get a customer when the rain starts. It's been a couple hours since the last customer had come in, leaving him alone to read and work on schoolwork he'd recently fallen behind on, so he's very surprised when a cute young man bursts through the door in a hurry. 

 

The newcomer bows quickly and lowly, running a hand through his hair as he straightens up. Kihyun his lips in appreciation, sending up a silent prayer of thanks for this man walking into his café. His beautiful doe eyes flick up to the menu board above Kihyun's head, pressing his lips together as if in thought. 

 

“Welcome to Momo Café,” Kihyun greets, trying for one of his more brilliant smiles. The expression causes the customer to blink repeatedly, and he pulls his bottom lip in between his teeth as he nods. Kihyun notices a slight blush creeping up the man’s cheeks, which only delights him more. 

 

“C-Could I get…um,” the man says softly as he nears the counter, “a c-cup of hot chocolate, please?” Kihyun nods, turning to the register to ring him up. He looks back at the stranger expectantly, silently asking if that'd be all. The man nods, easily understanding, and pulls out his wallet. He hands over the right amount of money after Kihyun tells him how much it is, seeming a bit childish with his bottom lip between his teeth. It's in a cute way, though, so Kihyun doesn't mind in the slightest. 

 

“I'll bring you your order when it's ready,” Kihyun tells him, running through the typical mantra. “If you need or want anything else, don't hesitate to ask. My name is Kihyun.”

 

“Th-Thank you,” the customer mumbles, and he shuffles over to a table. Kihyun his head a bit, noting offhandedly his red, puffy eyes. He turns, deciding to throw in an extra bit of chocolate into the drink. The guy clearly needs a pick-me-up. The man sniffles again, the only sound in the quiet café, and Kihyun decides to go to the back and warmup some of the day’s special soup, as well. It's never good to walk around in the rain, and from the looks of this guy he'd been caught in the thick of it. 

 

He readies the food and drink as quickly as possible, bringing it over to the stranger now playing on his phone. The man glances up confusedly, blinking rapidly at Kihyun. 

 

“I-I didn't—”

 

“It's on the house,” Kihyun tells him with a nonchalant shrug. “I couldn't help but notice how you obviously got caught in the rain, so I thought you'd like some soup.”

 

“Thank you,” the man says softly, glancing down sheepishly. Kihyun leans his head to the side, watching the man’s hunched forward shoulders and the way his eyes snap to his phone nearly every second. God barista hums, a gentle smile playing across his lips. 

 

“Sorry,” he says, taking a seat across from him, “but are you alright? You look like you've had a pretty rough night…” The question seems to cause the customer to curl up into himself even more, a reaction Kihyun certainly isn't hoping for. 

 

“I'll be okay…” is all the man says in response. Kihyun chews on his bottom lip. He knows it definitely isn't his place to pry, but he doesn't like seeing such cute guys in such obvious distress… especially this cute guy. 

 

“What year were you born in?” Kihyun asks, trying for a more casual conversation. “I was born in 1993.”

 

“I was born in 1996.”

 

“Then I'm your hyung~” Kihyun says, giving him a friendly smile. “What's your name, dongsaeng?”

 

“Im Changkyun,” the customer answers softly, at last reaching towards the cup of hot chocolate. He hums as he drinks, the smallest of smiles coming to his lips. “Thank you, this is really good.” Kihyun nods, his own smile widening. 

 

Changkyun continues to eat his soup and drink his hot chocolate, humming delightedly at the warmth filling him up. All the distress and worry from before seem to melt away in this comforting atmosphere. Something about this barista definitely puts Changkyun's mind at ease, though he can't tell what. Maybe it's that friendly, bright smile, that Changkyun can only compare to sunlight, or the way his eyes twinkle like stars…

 

A sudden ringing yanks Changkyun out of his silent reverie, causing him to jump in shock. He glances down at his phone, tears returning all too easily at seeing Jinsoo’s name pop up, his photo being an adorable selfie the two had taken months ago. They look so happy in the picture, it having been taken before all their issues began to pop up. 

 

Changkyun answers the call after glancing up almost hesitantly at the barista, though why he can't say. 

 

“Kyun-ah,” Jinsoo’s voice greets, the tone a bit tense. “Are you home? I found groceries in the kitchen, but I can't find you anywhere…”

 

“I realized I had forgotten something,” Changkyun lies after a moment of thoughtful silence, “so I went back out to get it.” He decides he’ll wait for Jinsoo to bring up his indiscretion, if he even needs to. After all, they're trying to patch things up between them. There's no need to bring up bad feelings by accusing him of cheating again. 

 

“Ah,” Jinsoo says, sighing in obvious relief. “Where are you now? It's raining buckets out there, I'll come and get you.”

 

“I found a café to hide out in,” Changkyun tells him. “It's called Momo Café… It isn't too far from the apartment.” Jinsoo hums, and tells Changkyun he’ll be right there before hanging up. He sets down his phone, chewing on his bottom lip. 

 

“Boyfriend?” Kihyun asks, his tone almost unreadable. Changkyun nods slowly, for some reason unable to meet his eyes. The older sighs, and his chair creaks as if he's getting up. A gentle hand touches Changkyun's cheek, wiping at a stray tear. 

 

“It's none of my business,” Kihyun says softly, “but you shouldn't be with a man that makes you cry. You deserve better.” 

 

Changkyun’s head snaps up then, surprised by the blunt statement. Kihyun gives him another smile, pulling at his cheek in an almost teasing way before leaving him to his own devices.